• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The Jeff paternity leave did make me realize that I like Jeff far more than anyone else on staff. To me he is Giant Bomb.

I'm 33 and have been following these guys since I was 14'ish on Gamespot.

Yeah, I was surprised by how I difficult I found the bomb cast to finish the last couple weeks with Jeff out. I'd probably stop listening to it if he was out for good.

East content is unwatchable because of Dan. You couldn't pay me to listen to another one of his idiotic stories.

Link25ca

Oct 25, 2017
I've been with Giant Bomb since the beginning and will continue to support them, but it really is East being stronger. Vinny is pure gold and everyone plays off each other so well.

The Bombcast what you been playing has become so dry, it's almost better to skip right to the news. You can tell with every Bombcast that Brad isn't playing games like he used to. He's always asking very basic questions and then says he's waiting for a new patch and never plays the game. I consider him one of the better spoken members of the team and his opinions were huge influence back in the day. I feel like Dan and Alex are carrying the AAA quick looks now all the time.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
This thread got me to skim thru the premium archives and i forgot just how many features and people have been a part of Giant Bomb over the years. PC games with Dave, Souls with Ian and Rorie, Bioforge with Patrick and Danny, Contradiction with Austin, Metal Gear with Dan and Drew, and most of that stuff is like post "classic GB era"

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Have been watching for a couple of years. Mostly the East content (love me some Dan), and I enjoy it more than enough to be a paying subscriber. Sad to have missed so much that came before, but as it is I have no grounds for comparison.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I love the people. I love the podcasts and their quick looks and their game of the year talks but their main shows/features or whatever just aren't for me. Watching people casually play video games is just not my thing at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The content has largely been mediocre for the past two years. With that said I'm still a fan of some of the staff and the premium usually justifies itself.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Check the YouTube numbers. They are pretty insignificant. They have a core audience that has stuck over the years, and a lot of that people probably watch videos on the site, but they are not reaching new viewers.

I have been there since building a bomb.

Personally, I am only still there because of Jeff, now that he is on parental leave for a while I don't even listen or watch anymore.

I don't mind Ben when he is with Jeff, the rest is a mix of boring or I don't really care about their opinion on games.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
35. I've been following Jeff since he was On the Spot host and a subscriber as well. So I've been following the Giantbomb story since its formation. GB's appeal was personality focused content (it was twitch before twitch came to be). It lost a big driving factor in Ryan's death. Coupled formation of the GB east, it stretched its content thin. I might be in the minority here but I don't like GB east content at all. They're fun to listen to in podcast form. But not in watching them play videogames.
I mainly tune in for GB west content + Giantbombcast. I listen to the beast cast whenever I have free time and happen to run out of GB West content to watch listen to.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've watched a fair amount of their content over the years and I've always found them to be more dour, sour and miserable than other games journalists. There is so much snark it is quite toxic.
At times it feels like they don't enjoy games all that much any more.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I've been with Giant Bomb since the beginning and will continue to support them, but it really is East being stronger. Vinny is pure gold and everyone plays off each other so well.

The Bombcast what you been playing has become so dry, it's almost better to skip right to the news. You can tell with every Bombcast that Brad isn't playing games like he used to. He's always asking very basic questions and then says he's waiting for a new patch and never plays the game. I consider him one of the better spoken members of the team and his opinions were huge influence back in the day. I feel like Dan and Alex are carrying the AAA quick looks now all the time.
Yeah the what are you playing segment is generally an immediate skip through for me as I don't give a crap about card battling games, auto-chess, new obscure japanese anime fighting games, or using a mister to play 30 year old games instead of the myriad of big new ones that are out (because you don't have enough time).

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I thought the last one a short while ago was the same time as the usual annual sale. I certainly don't recall them having back to back sales in previous years. And it feels like it (premium) has been being talked about more and more on the podcasts.
I honestly can't remember when their traditional annual sale usually was - I'd let mine lapse for a couple of years until signing up again during a sale this time last year. I just did a quick google and it seems they had two sales last year as well - one in May and then another in August. I don't think the sales are because they're in any sort of trouble but it's clear that the Premium Sub is an important part of their business and they want to keep as many subscribers sticking around as they can.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
This was just a quick look back in the day. Something this energetic and entertaining would be a premium feature now.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
35. I've been following Jeff since he was On the Spot host and a subscriber as well. So I've been following the Giantbomb story since its formation. GB's appeal was personality focused content (it was twitch before twitch came to be). It lost a big driving factor in Ryan's death. Coupled formation of the GB east, it stretched its content thin. I might be in the minority here but I don't like GB east content at all. They're fun to listen to in podcast form. But not in watching them play videogames.
I mainly tune in for GB west content + Giantbombcast. I listen to the beast cast whenever I have free time and happen to run out of GB West content to watch listen to.
Yeah I loved the idea of Sea Beasts but the only Abbey ever actually tried. Dan was being a sour child just trolling his team constantly, Alex tried but didn't know how to play and Vinny was doing his normal try to break the open world routine. I hate the RE4 playthrough as I always despised that game, I have no interest in watching n64 games. I miss the playdates being actual random fun things.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Check the YouTube numbers. They are pretty insignificant. They have a core audience that has stuck over the years, and a lot of that people probably watch videos on the site, but they are not reaching new viewers.

I have been there since building a bomb.

Personally, I am only still there because of Jeff, now that he is on parental leave for a while I don't even listen or watch anymore.

I don't mind Ben when he is with Jeff, the rest is a mix of boring or I don't really care about their opinion on games.
To be fair, YT gets only their free content, which is 90% Quick Looks, which are 90% terrible. QLs have become one of the single worst pieces of content they produce, they are rarely entertaining and provide almost no valuable information (they actually often provide straight up incorrect information). I'm not sure what the solution for GB's youtube channel is, but I'm actually of the opinion that the way it's currently set up actually deters potential new viewers, because it mostly surfaces their worst stuff. YT is the biggest platform available, and whether they like it or not it's where a LOT of potential viewers will first experience them. If you were to only be exposed to GB via their youtube content, and see that before their premium content or podcasts, you'd just assume they're a bunch of disinterested 40-somethings who don't know very much about video games.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped following them years ago, it was never the same after Ryan (obviously) and the constant staff changes didnt help (I was still regular, or at least semi-regular during the Austin and Patrick phase). The split into east and west didnt help either.

My priorities also shifted I guess and I dont really listen to podcasts and whatnot now, and even tho you start the post by saying "this isnt a thread about who you like or dont like in the staff", I mean... that's the whole point of giant bomb (or personality driven sites like it at least, like easy allies) isnt it? That will always be a reason to follow or not follow it, and for me, its another reason to not follow, as I never liked (identified? I dont want to be mean but...) with Dan, and what little I've seen of Ben did nothing for me. Again, nothing against the persons of course, wish them all the best and whatnot.

Oh and im 40 since apparently that was a question also?

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
To be fair, YT gets only their free content, which is 90% Quick Looks, which are 90% terrible. QLs have become one of the single worst pieces of content they produce, they are rarely entertaining and provide almost no valuable information (they actually often provide straight up incorrect information). I'm not sure what the solution for GB's youtube channel is, but I'm actually of the opinion that the way it's currently set up actually deters potential new viewers, because it mostly surfaces their worst stuff.
I have begged them in emails to please stop guessing or just saying "I think so" when someone asks a question in a quick look unless they actually know. The amount of misinformation in quick looks has been horrible the last few years. I understand not knowing everything about a game (though you should know at least something about AAA releases) but the amount of times even just "how much is it" or "what is it available on" is met with guesswork or just not known is astounding to me.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
the RE4 playthrough is probably the show of theirs that I've watched the most of contemporaneously to it airing. Abby on the controller works well with who she is and the dynamic of the group, it seems to be an ideal game in that everyone has a relationship to it and wants to talk about it, it's fast-paced enough that everyone gets all wrapped up in the game together but slow enough that the conversation can wander around a bit, yadda yadda. most GB shows feel too sparse to have on in the foreground but too noisy to have on in the background; the RE4 streams are, like, ideal 'on the second monitor while coding' stuff for me

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have begged them in emails to please stop guessing or just saying "I think so" when someone asks a question in a quick look unless they actually know. The amount of misinformation in quick looks has been horrible the last few years. I understand not knowing everything about a game (though you should know at least something about AAA releases) but the amount of times even just "how much is it" or "what is it available on" is met with guesswork or just not known is astounding to me.
Yeah, it is frustrating to often hear them just not even know what platforms the game they're playing is available on.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
This thread is highlighting the fact that GB is doing a pretty damn good job appealing to different audiences. Some like the younger, many enjoy the East content, but we also see some West coast only love as well. Something for everyone.

I have been following since just after they launched. I still love those guys and consume most of their content.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Yeah, it is frustrating to often hear them just not even know what platforms the game they're playing is available on.
Yeah I hate saying it but man just take a little pride in the job. Quick Looks either need to have more effort put into them than "I played this game and have a save file" or just be completely re-imagined somehow because what they are now is not entertaining.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Cancelled my premium sub ages ago. I think when Drew left.

Still subbed to their Youtube channel. But have no interest is anything they put out anymore. Don't even listen to their podcasts anymore. Which was a weekly religious sermon for me.

There is much better outlets for my time and energy now. GB did pave the way tho.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I loved the idea of Sea Beasts but the only Abbey ever actually tried. Dan was being a sour child just trolling his team constantly, Alex tried but didn't know how to play and Vinny was doing his normal try to break the open world routine. I hate the RE4 playthrough as I always despised that game, I have no interest in watching n64 games. I miss the playdates being actual random fun things.
sea beasts had a lot of potential and made me way more interested in Sea of Thieves than anything else I'd seen, but I don't think it was quuuuite the right game for what they wanted from it, really. the actual 'quest' content is just too boring and repetitive to really maintain interest on its own. my friends that have stuck with SoT say that it's the stuff that happens with other players during those quests that's actually interesting—usually some kind of PvP. from what I saw of Sea Beasts it seemed like the crew really wanted to avoid actually getting into it with other players as much as possible, and that Abby in particular kinda regarded other players as being kinda spoilsports for messing with them. which I totally get, I'm not whatsoever interested in Sea of Thieves' PvP either, but that's why the game just isn't for me—all the PvE/quest stuff feels like more of an excuse to get the player out on the water than anything else

still, those first few episodes were very fun

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
akalar talks about his kids too much and often is the least-informed person in the room. Vinny and Dan are absolute 1-in-a-million gems with hilarious thoughts and stories (aside from Vinny's also-frequent compulsion to talk a lot about his kids).
The kid thing is a very strange criticism. I think you're just acutely sensitive to any time they mention what their children are up to. They never have it overtake any conversation, and it's just insight into their lives like an
This was just a quick look back in the day. Something this energetic and entertaining would be a premium feature now.

Straight up, they need to do more quirky/hilarious/weird QLs like they used to. I watched them primarily for entertainment, not to be educated on certain games. I barely watch QLs anymore, but there are still ones that stand out to me like the Apsulov one. Maybe Unfinished has replaced that? The Half Dead 2 Unfinished is one of the best videos this year.

Feb 4, 2018
I'm really only into GB for Jeff, Jan, and Abby, and they've been pretty great over the last six months or so.

Although, I will say that I was listening to a recent Beastcast the other day and I had to turn it off after ten minutes because the stories they were telling were boring and the vibe they were putting off felt very... mean?

I'll always tune into their E3 coverage and their GOTY stuff, but I'm going to chill on GB content for a while.

(id also contend that the podcast lane of "have fun and also talk about the games you're playing" has been occupied by splitscreen for me. pretty funny podcast while also keeping snark to a minimum)

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
sea beasts had a lot of potential and made me way more interested in Sea of Thieves than anything else I'd seen, but I don't think it was quuuuite the right game for what they wanted from it, really. the actual 'quest' content is just too boring and repetitive to really maintain interest on its own. my friends that have stuck with SoT say that it's the stuff that happens with other players during those quests that's actually interesting—usually some kind of PvP. from what I saw of Sea Beasts it seemed like the crew really wanted to avoid other players as much as possible, and that Abby in particular kinda regarded other players as being kinda spoilsports for messing with them. which I totally get, I'm not whatsoever interested in Sea of Thieves' PvP either, but that's why the game just isn't for me—all the PvE/quest stuff feels like more of an excuse to get the player out on the water than anything else

still, those first few episodes were very fun
If you watch someone like Jackfrags go through it, someone that had experience with the game the quests never took longer than an hour. Their main issue was it was 4 people that knew jack shit about the game who had a 90-120 minute window and barely got through half a quest most of the time. I've got 40 or 50 hours in SoT and I solo'ed most of them in under an hour and it was a lot of fun. GBeast loves improv and SoT is made for it on stream.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, is there no one who prefers West to East?

I do. Jan and Jeff are so enjoyable to listen to and I personally think they all have great chemistry. I really like East too but Dan and Bakalar somehow really grind my gears and I can't really listen to them in to large portions.
Really miss Drew and Austin though.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
I'm sorry to say, I agree...I have unsubscribed from the West podcast...East is my jam though, I love that crew! I still love them all though! I really liked it when Jeff was on East a few months ago. East just seems super enthusiastic and they all have fun enjoyable things they talk about. I miss Ryan.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
The shit that east got up to when Austin was there was something special. I love both Abby and Ben, but Dan out west and Austin out east was when the split GB had the best balance.

NinjaPenguin7

Jul 28, 2019
29, first post nailed it for me. Haven't been able to get back into the Bombcast since Ryan passed away despite trying numerous times over the years.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Also Dan throwing a fit and forcing RDR2 out of GoTY so that the compromise of freaking Tetris Effect could get #1 has me very close to cancelling premium. I never would have done it if I couldn't get it for $35 on sale because god damn did the last two GoTY podcasts bother me. Abby's "I really like it" over and over for Dream Daddy was another one. But the quality of the christmas full crew together videos is the type of content I love. I really hate the split coast because they're best together outside of the damned Top 10 list.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
While I understand this has always been one of the main appeal of the site, I feel a lot recent content just devolves into the cast talking about random bullshit (which produces funny content about 10% of the time). The game is rarely the source of discussion or funny jokes. The game is just refrigerator noise. I can't get through any videos on the site these days. The best GB content is them poking fun at games. East still manages to do this really well at times but I've basically stopped watching West.

Last edited:

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Also Dan throwing a fit and forcing RDR2 out of GoTY so that the compromise of freaking Tetris Effect could get #1 has me very close to cancelling premium. I never would have done it if I couldn't get it for $35 on sale because god damn did the last two GoTY podcasts bother me. Abby's "I really like it" over and over for Dream Daddy was another one. But the quality of the christmas full crew together videos is the type of content I love. I really hate the split coast because they're best together outside of the damned Top 10 list.

I just can't get into those special GOTY podcasts, too dumb and too long. Same with e3.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a teenager, I hoped I had as much fun in my late 20's-early 30's as the GB guys seemingly did. Now I'm in my 30's, those guys are in their 40's, and I want no part of those. The New Generation seems a lot tamer and normal. Hearing about their lives just doesn't keep me as hooked as the others from back in the day which feels awful to say cause they are great people and it's not really constructive criticism if they can't fix or change it. The classic game Let's Plays like Godhand and DK64 are the only things I still seek out from GB. Well, that and Jeff being quiet at night.

For the straight videogame news and impressions, Gamexplain and Digital Foundry's style of focused short news videos, longer videos with opinions/impressions, and SUPER deep retrospectives and analysis are the formats that do it for me. It's much easier to just pick and choose what I want to hear about rather than wait for it to come up in 1 of the 2 podcasts.

If Super Mario Sunshine Switch was announced tomorrow, I'd probably learn about it from Gamexplain through a Youtube video notification of a 2 minute video, listen to their thoughts about it and what changes Nintendo could or should make later that day in a 12-15 minute video, and get a crazy deep technical video about what was impressive in Sunshine and the tricks developers used to make it all work within the week. From GB, maybe I'll get a passing mention of it on another feature, it would be in the news section in the Bombcast, then Dan who (would obviously be most enthusiastic about it) will get 5-10 minutes to gush in the Beastcast before it doesn't come up again until it's Quicklook release.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Theyve been on a downhill ever since ryan. (The west at least, dont follow east stuff) They keep losing good people.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like Giant Bomb East has more "fun" than the west coast, if that makes sense. West needs a wildcard added to the group to increase the energy. The west just doesn't seem that excited about games anymore. I'll say that the exceptions to that are Jan and Ben. They get excited about the stuff they are into and it's fun to listen to.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Beast crew is amazing as always, but without Jeff for the past month, West has been boring me to tears.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I'm 35 and have been watching since Metal Gear Scanlon.

For me, peak Giant Bomb was when we had Vinny, Alex and Austin in the East and Jeff, Brad, Dan, Drew, Jason, Rorie in the West. These groups had the best balance of personalities. In 2019, the East is a super team.Vinny, Alex, Dan, Abby, Jeff B., and now Mike. In contrast, the West content is a slog to get through. The problem with the West is they lack anyone with energy. Ben, Brad, Jason and Rorie are all too similar in that chill, laid back sort of way. It's even more evident when Jeff is not there. It's gotten to the point that I will only watch West content based on the game being played or it's Jeff streaming old games from home. In contrast, I will watch literally anything that the East puts out. I've watched the full series of Kerbal: Project BEAST and Thirteen Deadly Sims, two games I have zero interest in. I wouldn't even attempt that with the West.

Last edited:

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Goddamn, is there no one who prefers West to East?
I'm one of the few here. Like I said in my previous post. GBE content doesn't click with me at all. the RE playthrough and GB crime crew are a complete dud for me. The content I liked from GBE off the top of my head were the playdates where they played old obscure games and that one time where they played that Nancy Drew game.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are games coming out all the time that never get timely coverage or coverage at all. Not really a fan of making multi month playthroughs of ancient games the most frequently posted content.

Will there ever be a Remnant from the Ashes quick look? After Brad's comments on the game that's definitely not a title they can say no one was interested in.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kid thing is a very strange criticism. I think you're just acutely sensitive to any time they mention what their children are up to. They never have it overtake any conversation, and it's just insight into their lives like an
Oh I'll admit to having a particular annoyance with kid stories, though I don't think it's all that uncommon for others to have the same gripe. It always used to be frustrating when a good comedian would have kids, go away for a bit, then come back with routines where half the jokes were about parenthood or the ridiculous things their kids do. Most people tend to overestimate how amazing or funny their kids are to people who haven't met them.

Abby actually called it out once in kind of a joking way though, saying "As much time as we spent talking about kids, you would think that more than two of us actually had them." That was a hugely vindicating moment for me haha. I think that had somewhat of a chilling effect on kid-stories for a bit.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched a fair amount of their content over the years and I've always found them to be more dour, sour and miserable than other games journalists. There is so much snark it is quite toxic.
At times it feels like they don't enjoy games all that much any more.

posts like this and this thread in general are far more sour and miserable than giant bomb has ever been

kakistocrats

Oct 29, 2017
Brad's alluded to having had a rough couple of years in terms of his personal life, so I don't want to dump on the guy too much, but he's a drag on most of the content he's a part of. He rarely allows himself to become passionate or invested in a new game, and most of the stuff he does develop an interest in is super obvious, familiar stuff like RDR2. He constantly goes overboard expressing skepticism towards games, defending his own unwillingness to take chances and be open to new things by talking about how he's worried he's going to get tricked into spending time on a game that isn't feature-complete or properly balanced. He often sounds like a concerned parent who thinks kids are spending too much time looking at screens instead of playing outside. It's not what I come to Giant Bomb for.

The contrast between Brad and Ben is pretty stark. Ben's also someone who's been going through a lot over the past few years, but he seems to understand more deeply that part of his job is being passionate and knowledgeable about video games. He puts himself out there and opens himself to new experiences because he knows that's what the job is. When either of them is faced with a conversation topic they haven't previously been interested in, the difference between their respective responses is night and day. Brad will mumble about the one negative thing he heard once that kept him from investigating further, and Ben will be completely game to hear more, asking pointed questions about what the game's appeal is and about how a neophyte would go about learning more.

Jeff is the MVP of the site as a whole and there's no one else on staff who's capable of the deep, penetrating insights that Jeff is routinely able to offer even when it comes to games he doesn't actually like, but the Bombcast is increasingly reliant on him, Ben, and Jan to keep the energy level up in a way that feels quite distinct from the natural camaraderie that exists amongst the East Coast staffers. I found myself extremely delighted at the prospect of being able to hear Jeff interact with more vibrant and interesting perspectives from the likes of Abby and Alex this past holiday, and in turn extremely dismayed when Brad would hijack those discussions with his bewilderingly bitter defenses of RDR2.

I do think the West Coast crew could use another new hire. If I imagine an Abby or an Alex or an Austin or a Patrick joining Jeff and Ben and Jan, I feel like it would do a lot to inject some energy into the Bombcast and take some of the pressure off Jeff to make it entertaining.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I've loved the site long enough to be very tempted right now to break out a "they're still settling into the new office" joke. They genuinely always have had high and low periods.

Even so though, I think Jeff being gone from the West because of his new baby has probably been a really good way of highlighting how the West side of Giant Bomb, frankly, hasn't had much leading personality since Vinny and Dan both moved to the East coast. Dan and Abby maintain a sense of energy with how well they work with Vinny and Alex on the East, but the West is so sleepy and if Jeff isn't around it always feels like a skeleton crew.

I think the audience of the site is an interesting question because there was recently a screenshot of a chat poll floating around a week or two ago that basically said the amount of people actively watching below, like, their late 20s was nearly zero. I think that's probably not a completely accurate reflection of things but I do get the sense that Giant Bomb is beginning to have demographic issues with their audience, which doesn't seem to have any kind of replacement. There's just no younger audience to the site these days in very large numbers, and the site's current fandom is so set in their likes and dislikes, their ability to branch out to appeal to different people is incredibly restrained.
I'm one of those weirdos who started watching/listening to Giant Bomb stuff when I was 16 and felt like it fit perfectly for me in terms of humor and the personalities of the duders. I'm in my early 20s now.

I don't watch (the entirety of) a lot of the stuff that gets put up on the site, though I'll put on the occasional UPF; with specific series, I latch onto GBE's a lot more than GBW's. Graduated from college earlier this year, and while I was there I would consistently listen to the Bombcast/Beastcast every week. I haven't been as on top of it since then, but I still like listening to them.

Ben, Abby, and Jan have all been great additions over the years. GBE and GBW do have incredibly different energies to them, though. They're almost diametrically opposed, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
43 and been listening to the podcasts for about 6 years.
I don't watch any of their video content because I don't really watch any video game videos.
The podcasts are the only video game podcasts I listen too and I like them a lot.
They have ups and downs sure and I wish they didn't bang on about wrestling so much but I enjoy the podcasts a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I only listen to the podcasts. I like when they talk about games, but I've gotten tired of their extended tangents into nothingness.

Status
Not open for further replies.