• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 13, 2018
I have been a PlayStation fan my whole life. That and Nintendo. Naturally I have a ps5 and switch. TBH, don't really like the switch as online is trash...was thinking about jumping in on a series x....my question is game pass alone worth it. I wouldn't have too many friends on it. What do you guys think?!

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
As a huge Playstation fan....yes Gamepass is that good. I used it on PC for a few months.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you could never buy another game again and be pretty satisfied with GamePass alone.

If you have more time than games, GamePass is the most efficient way to play. If you have more games than time, maybe not so much.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming house of 2

It carries 75% of the year

On sale physical editions, some switch and ms rewards deals with the rest.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Nah, it's not good, people are actually trolling and making people pay for it and then realize that it's shit.

I'm kidding, it's a pretty great service. I've been using for a couple of months now on PC and I think it's totally worth it.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Best value in gaming as far as I'm concerned.

Especially for someone like you, you can get in on the train super cheap with the 3 years of gold and 1$ ultimate conversion.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Look at the list of games. Do you have those games? Do you want those games? Do you want to pay $10 every month for access to those games?

These are legit the only questions that matter.

I had an Xbox One last gen but Game Pass never made sense for me, but I can see how it would be a great value for players with different tastes.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just look at the list of games and judge for yourself:

www.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass Games Library | Xbox

Explore the Game Pass library and play hundreds of games.

I think the only downside is that there are games that rotate out like they do on other subscription services like Netflix, but all in all, there's very little that you can say about it that's negative. You even get discounts on games on the service if you want to buy to own.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
not to rush u. but making that decision before Black Friday wass the move. Since rn is when Game Pass is at its lowest price.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
IMO, yes. It's the only reason I bought an XSX. I have a gaming PC and GP Ultimate. I want a GamePass box to move in other rooms for convenience.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to keep in mind is that most people on Game Pass right now that post on an enthusiast board like Era are taking advantage of introductory offers that allow you to get a year of Game Pass (up to three years) for $60 a year, at which rate yes it's an absolutely insane deal. Whether or not people have the same opinion when they're paying the asking price is a different story, but hey, that doesn't need to be for three more years. Here's the library, take a look for yourself and ask if that's worth the price of one new release for a year of access:

www.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass Games Library | Xbox

Explore the Game Pass library and play hundreds of games.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
It is the best value in gaming, but there are 2 major problems with it. It's literally illegal, and obviously unsustainable.

/s

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring
Its the 3rd coming of Jesus Christ according to Xbox users. The 2nd being backward compatibility.

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
In terms of value yes but go look over the games list yourself and actually see if there's enough you would play. My use case is pretty much only for forza and grounded. If I didn't get it for ridiculously cheap I honestly wouldn't be subscribed atm

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
You could just get gamepass and play whatever gets added to it and for 99% of people they'd never run out of games to play. It's incredibly easy to branch out and just try whatever.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Its as valuable as you can find things you want to play on it and consistently.

I have the PC version and I know it is much more limited in scope but most of the library is not something I am interested in.

When the cheap rate for the PC version ends this month, I will be ending my subscription.

Again, the above is my own personal take, others mileage may vary.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Depends on the person. I don't think it's THAT good. FOMO took over and I got an entire year right before the price hike on PC. Still haven't used it. I had it on Xbox One X, barely used it.

If you're fine with Microsoft picking out your games, you'll like it. If you want to play lots games as cheap as possible, you'll like it. it certainly has a lot of value, but it depends on your tastes.

At least for me, there are enough games I want to buy that wouldn't be on GamePass that I'd never have time for games that actually show up on GamePass.
If I was a big Xbox fan, and all I owned was an Xbox, I'd get GamePass because why not? I would not buy an Xbox just for it however, if you already enjoy lots of games on other platforms.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's a good value at full price $15 a month

At the deals that are easily attainable like the $1 upgrade or $20 for 3 months, it's not fair for Microsoft

If and of course it's a big if, Microsoft delivers on their 1st party it'll be the best subscription service in all entertainment.

OP
OP
Aug 13, 2018
Depends on the person. I don't think it's THAT good. FOMO took over and I got an entire year right before the price hike on PC. Still haven't used it. I had it on Xbox One X, barely used it.

If you're fine with Microsoft picking out your games, you'll like it. If you want to play lots games as cheap as possible, you'll like it. it certainly has a lot of value, but it depends on your tastes.

At least for me, there are enough games I want to buy that wouldn't be on GamePass that I'd never have time for games that actually show up on GamePass.
If I was a big Xbox fan, and all I owned was an Xbox, I'd get GamePass because why not? I would not buy an Xbox just for it however, if you already enjoy lots of games on other platforms.
They are all great answers. But this one stuck out to me. I appreciate it

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's good enough it got me to pay 500 dollars for a One X after two g myself I would never own an xbox one the entire generation. And it's only gotten even better since then. Microsoft is being ridiculously aggressive with it, and consumers win, honestly

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Would you recommend a series x and game pass over switch??

I wouldn't. I have and like gamepass, but as a complete eco system I'm still kinda weary on it. These games aren't yours. Long story short, gamepass is good, but not good enough to replace shit you actually own. Never know when Phil leaves and some profit driven dude takes over and starts all types of fuckery like raising prices or some shit.

Last edited:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Would you recommend a series x and game pass over switch??
That's more personal. Are you fighting over a tv, gaming on the go, or head over heels for Nintendo games?

Game pass is a hell of a deal and I suspect it will only get better once Bethesda is brought fully into the fold. I'll be doing the dollar conversion later this week.

I would still buy games that I like when they go on sale though, so I wouldn't rely 100% on it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I would suggest looking at the games currently available and seeing if you like it. Gotta keep it mind all first party games, including Bethesda games will be day 1 on GP as well.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're the type of person who doesn't like trying new games and generally keep replaying the same games most of the time, then maybe it doesn't have that much value.

But otherwise, it's awesome. The value is obviously there but I also like the curation aspect of it.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I had it on PC and I didnt get much from it. That said considering the acquisitions and potential acquisitions, for me, it will probably be more worth it down the line again. For many right now it is, so if you're thinking about it try it out.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
If you have a household of people that all play games, it's totally worth it just for the game discovery and variety.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy a single game since I joined GPU for PC. There's a ton of great stuff. I'll tell you what I did buy this week though, six months of GPU for $44, which is a hell of a deal.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
For me, yes. Outside of AC Valhalla and PGA Tour 2K21 I've pretty much only been playing Game Pass games. Been jumping between Tetris Effect Connected, all of the Gears games, FH4 and most of all, Deep Rock Galactic. Such a great variety of games to play.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Look at the list of games. Do you have those games? Do you want those games? Do you want to pay $10 every month for access to those games?

These are legit the only questions that matter.

I had an Xbox One last gen but Game Pass never made sense for me, but I can see how it would be a great value for players with different tastes.

I second this. I considered getting a XSS sometime this gen since I've heard gamepass talked about so much. It genuinely seems like a good deal but after looking at the game selection, I knew it wasn't for me.

Planning to dip in for a month or two when something catches my interest on pc, but it's nothing I'm interested in long term. Great if you're interested in the games available.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For the XGS portfolio yes, for the rest it's debatable, depending on your current gaming habits.

You cannot determine a personal value with an absolute one.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I have it and I don't see too many games that I am interested in. I think all I've installed are Viva Pinata and Fallen Order. Anything else I either have on Switch or don't really care about. I guess I'm not really GP's target audience.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
hell yeah. some of the games in the catalog are games I would like to play but won't commit the money to

stuff like Star Wars Fallen Order, Resident Evil 7, Doom Eternal, Yakuza games, Final Fantasy, Gears, Ori. list just goes on forever