• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you buy Xbox Series X for the Netflix of gaming?

• Of course

Votes: 644 40.4%
  • Haven’t decided yet

Votes: 187 11.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 671 42.1%
  • I want my physical games, dude

Votes: 93 5.8%

• Total voters

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely and I think I will build a PC too for the strategy and mouse/keyboard titles. Unless MS find a way to bring those types of games over properly too.

Jun 22, 2018
Absolutely and I think I will build a PC too for the strategy and mouse/keyboard titles. Unless MS find a way to bring those types of games over properly too.
Xbox is pushing KB/M support on the consoles lately. You can do KB/M on games like Gears 5, Minecraft, Fortnite, etc. So you may be able to do KB/M right on the console for those strategy games.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You get to buy a console and theoretically never have to buy a game for it. How is that not an amazing deal?
The likelihood of never having to buy a game for it is low. If you only normally buy first-party games and indie games then maybe this would be true, but it's still idealistic. The vast majority of new third-party AAA releases won't be on Game Pass and to a large swathe of people those games are what they buy consoles to play. Then factoring in that third-party games eventually leave the service, means you will at some point have no choice but to buy the game. I don't believe MS informs you how long these games will be on GP for either(?) so you can't prioritise to play those ones first.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
You might change your tune when you see some of those non exclusive games with bumped up frame rates and ray tracing turned on. Maybe.
Maybe, we'll see how much devs crank it up for Series X. I'm overall optimistic about the platform, but I'm convinced gamepass won't be my reason for upgrading. It will be more than just that when it happens.

Dec 12, 2019
Answering the question - rather not. I had gamepass, EA Access and PS Plus and decided to cancel everything. I found myself randomly playing one game only for an hour or so and switching to the next one.

Now I only playing this games I really want to play and finish.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I know its game specific, but there are a lot of partnership avenues where MS could have pushed to have it included.

Beyond that though, its greatest value is heavily tied to it being an OS side feature where its automatically available on every Game Pass title. Its an exponential curve of value, same as when Sony did it with the PS4 and Vita, yet never stuck with it long enough to really drive up usefulness.

I'm sure MS has been pushong devs to support play anwhere quite hard, but I assume it was take some time before developers catch up with Game Pass' success.

In my understanding, this isn't a feature Microsoft can just add to the OS. The tools are likely already there, but it would need to at the very least be tested and implemented by the developer, especially when it comes to save files and crossplay. It could be disastrous if MS started forcing Xbox save files into a PC game. One character off could cause data corruption, or it may simple be incompatible.

I think adoption of Play Anywhere features will continue to grow if Game Pass continues to thrive. I would love to see that.

Deleted member 35941

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
No, not for me. Xbox just doesn't have interesting exclusives yet, as I don't care for shooters. The Game Pass is a great deal, but most games on there are either not for me or are so old I could just buy them on another platform for a few bucks. Not worth buying an entire console just for that.
Yeah, this is how I feel too.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Dont like the concept of not owning my product so the value from the start isnt there. Dumping money into something i have no rights to once i miss a payment is not good for things traditionally known for ownership of the consumer.

Gamepass doesn't prevent you from owning games. Actually, subscribing to Gamepass gets you a hefty discount on the games in the catalogue. Depending on your spending habits, subbing + purchasing can be cheaper than just buying the games outright.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Racked up 3 years of game pass, and use rewards to top it off every 3 months. I'm paying nothing for games or online because of this, so my only expense will be the hardware. It's ridiculous.

Compare that to new hardware +online +$60 for each new game. No thanks.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got GP Ultimate through the end of 2022. You bet that is a driving factor for me getting the new Xbox. Won't have to spend a dime past the Xbox itself to have a bunch of games to play day one.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
If I dip for an XBX then it won't be because of Gamepass, I much prefer the exclusives on PlayStation but if Microsoft start to release some things I'm interested in, I may jump back in. I have a big enough backlog as is so Gamepass really doesn't fit with my limited gaming time.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Gamepass doesn't prevent you from owning games. Actually, subscribing to Gamepass gets you a hefty discount on the games in the catalogue. Depending on your spending habits, subbing + purchasing can be cheaper than just buying the games outright.

I am aware that you can still buy games in the normal way.

What i'm saying is gamepass's allure due to its primary purpose of a subscription of lots of games isnt something that appeals to me at all. I dont even bother with PS+ games every month because they are a waste on my HDD being temporary, they are basically invisible for me. That's why i am only subbed to PS+ for playing online and getting discounts on the store. I see zero appeal in a service that does not allow me to keep the games outright.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
I am so torn on next gen. I prefer PS exclusives by a wide margin. I have both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X. GamePass is awesome and has saved me a lot of money on games I might otherwise buy. It's a fantastic service.

My whole plan has been to go PS5 first and eventually get a Series X. But if Series X is considerably stronger than PS5 out of the gate, it will be hard not to jump into Xbox first. Having GamePass available only makes the decision that much harder.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not when many of said Game Pass games will run on my PC, let alone my One X just fine. There is literally zero incentive for me to get a Series X, yet considerable incentive for me to get a PS5.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Playing great games while ALSO saving money is time well spent.
Off course, however great games is a matter of opinion. I checked out of Halo after Reach. Played Gears 1 & 2 never finished them. Racing games have never been my thing really but did get FM3. Gamepass isn't a value to me cause time, not fund's is the limiting factor. There first party output hasn't been compleling for me and third party titles that I'm interested aren't guarantee to come to gamepass and most certainly not at launch. I bought a Switch for one title Pokémon Shield. While I could have bought an Xbox for £79 on Black Friday. I never contemplated it because there hasn't been a title for me that gave me a reason to do so.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I am aware that you can still buy games in the normal way.

What i'm saying is gamepass's allure due to its primary purpose of a subscription of lots of games isnt something that appeals to me at all. I dont even bother with PS+ games every month because they are a waste on my HDD being temporary, they are basically invisible for me. That's why i am only subbed to PS+ for playing online and getting discounts on the store. I see zero appeal in a service that does not allow me to keep the games outright.

This is a weird take.

The service allows you to keep the games... at a discount.

A game comes to the service, if you like it, you buy it at a discount and it's yours forever. So if you value ownership, you can still get value out of the service.

You framing it as such your assessment that it "Dumping money into something i have no rights to once i miss a payment is not good for things traditionally known for ownership of the consumer" is only true if you only use the service as a rental store, ie if you choose to only use some of the benefits that come with the subscription.

If you also use it to purchase games at a discount, you can end up owning more games, while paying less than you would have outright + you have the added benefit of being able to try a bunch of games before you buy them.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is a weird take.

The service allows you to keep the games... at a discount.

A game comes to the service, if you like it, you buy it at a discount and it's yours forever. So if you value ownership, you can still get value out of the service.

You framing it as such your assessment that it "Dumping money into something i have no rights to once i miss a payment is not good for things traditionally known for ownership of the consumer" is only true if you only use the service as a rental store, ie if you choose to only use some of the benefits that come with the subscription.

If you also use it to purchase games at a discount, you can end up owning more games, while paying less than you would have outright + you have the added benefit of being able to try a bunch of games before you buy them.

I'm not really sure why your confused at my view? Your basically saying that one element of gamepass is like buying a game for a discount on the store and keeping it. You can do that already on PS+ for example via store discounts. So for the rest of gamepass as a subscription service, it has no value to me. Hence gamepass itself does not really have value to me over, just as an example, the service i am currently subscribed to.

TLDR One element of gamepass is discounted games, another is a subscription service for 'free' games. But if you dont like subscriptions without ownership, that entire element of the service is meaningless and is no better than another service which doesnt offer that. As i said, i dont even bother with 'free' PS+ games every month because they are meaningless to me.

At best, gamepass subscription would be considered a valid demo service, but i would not find that worth much since i dont really play demo in this era anyway.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The likelihood of never having to buy a game for it is low. If you only normally buy first-party games and indie games then maybe this would be true, but it's still idealistic. The vast majority of new third-party AAA releases won't be on Game Pass and to a large swathe of people those games are what they buy consoles to play. Then factoring in that third-party games eventually leave the service, means you will at some point have no choice but to buy the game. I don't believe MS informs you how long these games will be on GP for either(?) so you can't prioritise to play those ones first.

I fell like you missed a pretty important word in my post. Theoretically.

I have a PC. The only thing that would get im into a xbox is playing my older collection of games for OG xbox and 360. I'm talking like right now with Gamepass on PC.

Those games are not available on the xbox/Windows store for PC.

I mean the thread is about Series X. My response was referring to Series X.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a One X cause of it. lol
So yeah, probs. I'll upgrade when the "slim" variant comes out, but I'm sold on Xbox for the next few gens. A Series X and a Switch is an awesome combo.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I buy consoles for exclusives I can't get anywhere else, and Microsoft is dedicated to releasing all Xbox games on PC. I don't care for Game Pass.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure why your confused at my view? Your basically saying that one element of gamepass is like buying a game for a discount on the store and keeping it. You can do that already on PS+ for example via store discounts. So for the rest of gamepass as a subscription service, it has no value to me. Hence gamepass itself does not really have value to me over, just as an example, the service i am currently subscribed to.

TLDR One element of gamepass is discounted games, another is a subscription service for 'free' games. But if you dont like subscriptions without ownership, that entire element of the service is meaningless and is no better than another service which doesnt offer that. As i said, i dont even bother with 'free' PS+ games every month because they are meaningless to me.

At best, gamepass subscription would be considered a valid demo service, but i would not find that worth much since i dont really play demo in this era anyway.

I understand your view, it just doesn't make any sense in terms of extracting value. Even if you don't bother with the "free games" aspect, Gamepass is valuable if you want ownership because it applies a discount to your purchases. Getting more while spending less = value.

For example, the discount you get on Outer Worlds exceeds the cost of a month subscription. So any other game you buy that month is pure savings vs buying outside the membership. How is that not adding value to ownership?

TLDR even if you skip GPs primary selling point, it makes ownership cheaper. So to argue that its "not good for things traditionally known for ownership of the consumer" is false.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Nope. I buy consoles for exclusives I can't get anywhere else, and Microsoft is dedicated to releasing all Xbox games on PC. I don't care for Game Pass.
so... game pass for pc is for you then? Easiest way to get MS's 1st party games on pc.
Why would I buy a gimped PC (console) when I have the real thing? So no.
Do you think that you can get xbox series x performance for 5 to 6 hundred bucks in off the shelf pc parts?
Not when many of said Game Pass games will run on my PC, let alone my One X just fine. There is literally zero incentive for me to get a Series X, yet considerable incentive for me to get a PS5.
I do not understand how game pass being on pc makes a ps5 more incentivized? There is zero correlation between the two.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Just adds value for me so it's day one. Will also be the best place to play XBOX (graphics/performance wise) first party games (which I prefer) will also run 3rd party games the best (no i dont own a beast pc and wont pretend to) more than likely so there's that too.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah probably. I actually want something like game pass. I would totally dig if PS Now had more value for me.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I already have it until like 2022 or something so that's a pretty good reason to get it already.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand how game pass being on pc makes a ps5 more incentivized? There is zero correlation between the two.
I figured this sentiment would be easy to understand, but I guess I need to attempt to break this down.

I like to be able to play the best versions of all games that get released, be they from Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or the platform agnostic publishers. So historically, I have owned all notable consoles since the Dreamcast/Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 generation, and even before that gen, the only one I lacked was the Saturn, which I now have. I own a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and Nintendo Switch, and recently built myself a gaming PC with a Ryzen 3950X and Geforce RTX 2080 Ti, and can now play all my Xbox cross-buy and Game Pass PC games on it. For the foreseeable future, there will be no Xbox Series X games released that I will not be able to play on my PC thanks to Microsoft's day-and-date PC and Game Pass availability of all Xbox first party games, thus disincentivizing a purchase of the Series X. Sony, however, will be releasing exclusive PS5 games from the console's launch, which makes me eager to purchase one since it will have exclusive games created specifically for its hardware specs; something that isn't the case for the vast majority of PC games or any of the Xbox Series X games for the next 2 years or however long Matt Booty said.

All of those things considered, I, and many other multiplatform gamers have no incentive whatsoever to by a Xbox Series X, and see a PS5 as a must-buy. The first party Game Pass games are available on PC.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I don't do Gamepass both because I like my physical games that I have permanent ownership of, and also because the vast majority of games I want to play don't make it on there. Not saying that Gamepass doesn't have a great selection of games I'm interested in playing, but rarely does it get stuff that's a priority for me.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Xbox is pushing KB/M support on the consoles lately. You can do KB/M on games like Gears 5, Minecraft, Fortnite, etc. So you may be able to do KB/M right on the console for those strategy games.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is a thing for Pillars of Eternity, Path of Exile etc. If not, I hope they start doing that more on XSX. I want Diablo 4 to have M/K support.

Yes to the OT. I'll get PS5 for exclusives but GP will have me on XSX and PC 90% of the time next gen unless Sony improves PSNow.

Last edited:

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
It's one of the main reasons I'm strongly considering switching to Xbox next gen. PS has solid first party titles but they are stuck in the mud with adapting to how people consume games now. I'm really jealous every time I read about game pass.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's a bit disingenuous to say it's why I'm getting an Xbox. I was getting one either way. That said, I'm using all 4 major platforms and I'm spending 90%+ of my time in Microsoft's (between PC and console) because of Game Pass. It's so much damned fun to try out so many different types of games with no risk.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I LOVE Game Pass. But no. I would get it for Lockhart, perhaps. But Series X implies that I'm going to play a lot of games and be invested. I'm at a stage in life where I'm not sure of that. I don't mind keeping up with a cheap subscription in case I want to jump into something whenever. But an additional several hundred dollar purchase on top of that... might be a bit much for now.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

That's what I did. Ironically it was Game Pass Ultimate that put me over the top to get a gaming PC. I only went mid range though since I bought it for what you said...those strategy and top down games. It would be nice if Microsft can bring those games to console with k/m support in the future.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not at the moment.
The only first party IP I am currently interested in would be Forza Horizon.

It really depends on what kind of new IPs and such their recent acquired studios end up revealing.

I already have dozens of games which I got free through PS+ subs over the years that I would like to play, so even with it's great value
I feel like I would never take advantage of a Game Pass free games as a result.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass is on pc. And I have a pc that I vastly prefer using over a console. So going with nah

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't bought a game in 3 months. Usually I spent like 100€ per month on games. Feels kinda good and I missed out on nothing. I've been playing games daily with Gamepass and new stuff gets added every week.

Hell yeah I'm going XBSX Day1. I'll finish my backlog and then trade In my Pro. I'll get a PS5 down the line.