• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Fortnite the greatest example of the games-as-a-service business model?

• Yes

Votes: 110 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 77 41.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
fortnite-switch-hero.jpg

Do you think so? Has any other game done it better? Let's discuss.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly the most successful example, at least by western standards.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of them, but there are others like Rainbow Six Siege and Warframe which have been equally consistent but for a lot longer. I guess Destiny should be included as well even if it's marred back by development problems, because they manage to stay relevant after all this time despite having those problems and even today it remains the gold standard in looter shooter GaaS alongside Warframe.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Battle Pass is a predatory model that preys on the player's fear of missing out by artifically limiting digital content availability, charging them for more than they need (Both by forcing bundles and requiring a grind to get all you paid for) while giving people a free fix to get them hooked. It made money and set a trend, but I hate it.

It's def one of the big recent success stories and they've maintained their momentum well. It certainly is one of the better examples of modern GaaS design due to it's continued success

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Battle passes that have an expiration date on them is a definite no.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Battle Pass is a predatory model that preys on the player's fear of missing out by artifically limiting digital content, charging them for more than they need (Both by forcing bundles and requiring a grind to get all you paid for) while giving people a free fix to get them hooked. It made money and set a trend, but I hate it.

I wouldn't say that OP only means the battle pass but everything else this game also has done.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Path of Exile
Warframe
The late Marvel Heroes
etc.

Games where I can enjoy so much without feeling like I'm pressured to spend for the meat of the game. In Warframe I can get a lot of it's premium currency just by playing the game and trading my junk/duplicate/unneeded loot.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't really play these games. But Dota2 seemed very good in this regard. Free game but every single thing that effected gameplay was unlocked from the start.

Enthuzed

Apr 21, 2020
No.

Madden/Fifa are the best examples. They've had yearly releases forever, and Ultimate Team makes EA billions of dollars every single game.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite style battle passes are an improvement over systems that have randomized and/or gameplay-affecting aspects, but they're still very predatory and replace the slot machine angle with FOMO that expects a lot more gameplay hours to help improve retention. I can appreciate that they do a few things better but I'm not going to pretend they're good.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
bit of a lazy op, no reason why you think it is?

Oct 26, 2017
It's been very consistent from what I know about it, but once again great live service only seems achievable by incredibly successful games

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
no...? predatory micro transactions kinda negate any positives in my eyes, especially for a game where a significant chunk of the audience is kids

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely the most financially successful.
But personally, I'd go with Warframe, Destiny 2(cosmetic controversey aside) and Path of Exile.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
From a commercial success standpoint yes. Although, I am prefer rainbow six siege.

martson2

Dec 18, 2017
fortnite-switch-hero.jpg

Do you think so? Has any other game done it better? Let's discuss.
Considering they built the game off of the back of paying customers from save the world and finally hammered the last nail in it's coffin in this week's update, I would have to say no. Fortnite was save the world not battle royale. Should that be taken into consideration when asking this particular question I don't know??

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Battle passes are butts so I think I'd go with Warframe? I'm not that deep in any of these games tbh so I dunno.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not certain on gaas but it's up there. I'd say it has the best battle pass though. I only ever bought the bp once and have over 4000 vbucks on my account and I only ever played casually. Don't really play the game anymore though.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Dota 2 set the standard for monetisation surely and is more standard setting - the live event and update stuff you would have a point but also the crunch and money epic have shouldn't be the standard to set for other studios

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you me a by "greatest." It's an great example of a grab bag of psychologically manipulative techniques strapped to a pretty barebones, if competent, game.

To be clear, I'm not saying you can't enjoy it, but let's not pretend the game is being ethical about it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since before battle royale launched.....

yeah it's probably the standard. Other battlepasses don't have any advantages over it. Been playing Dota 2 recently and you need to pay sooooo much money to level up for the good stuff in comparison to FN.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have no real issue with it, but I haven't tried Path of Exile. I love Fortnite, and play it enough to buy the battle pass and one or two costumes each season and feel like it's a fair value. Knowing those things are optional cosmetics still blows my mind a bit, I feel like gamers really take for granted the amount of entertainment you can get for paying nothing.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Overwatch

No Battle pass crap and you dont have to buy Loot Boxes if you play a lot because they are so easy to get for free.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any game based on FOMO model is not a good example of GaaS.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Yes, people really dislike the game which is cool - but there little events every once in a while and constant shifting of the game makes me say its a great example of GAAS perhaps the best from a live game angle.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
It's great. The battle pass is ridiculously easy to 100% complete now and by doing so you are given enough money to get the next battle pass. Essentially, with $10 you can get skins for life. Seriously, it takes like 20 hours to complete the battle pass nowadays. Even if you stop playing for a long time, they have a feature where you gain more XP after a long break to allow you to catch up quicker. I was out of season 2 for a long time and came back and got to level 100 in 2 short weeks of casual playing (1-2 hours a day for around 5 days a week).

The micro transactions aren't that predatory. No loot boxes so that's a good thing. Legendary skins are a bit overpriced though, but others games have it worse and at least the skins look great.

And in terms of updates? Game is constantly evolving and keeping things fresh.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Absolutely not, but it's a holiday and I've been drinking too much, so maybe if I remember tomorrow I'll make a cogent argument.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There's 2 models right now

Make so much money you do wild things and semi progressive things - Fortnight

Make so much money you just say fuck everything and keep making more money only - GTA5 online

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Sea of Thieves, Minecraft and Terraria are all pretty good.