• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is such a big age gap creepy?

• Yes, you're a creepy.

Votes: 1,883 42.4%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 836 18.8%
  • No, you're fine.

Votes: 1,727 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
That's actually interesting research to cite when it comes to a lot of things, like politics. If someone can't figure out that the minimum wage is too low by the age of 25, then they will probably never figure it out.

I think one issue is that, just because a young person is doing "mature" things like holding a job or displaying a high-level skill, then we also assume they understand sex and relationships. That might the wrong assumption to make.
In my field of work, crisis counsellors are also sexual abuse and trauma counsellors and respond to and spend time with victims of sexual abuse and learn the ins and outs of it. Crisis counselling isn't just a 'high level skill', it's having to bear and deal with significant emotional challenges and burdens.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I was 26 and she was 35.
Your example is not an issue, because at 26 you are an adult and have some experience in the world.

For people under 21, the acceptable age gap is lower because so much development goes on in these years. Think about the huge gap in lifestyle / responsibility between 19 and 28.

Young people are also much more susceptible to predatory behavior from older, more experienced partners. Not everyone is a predator, and not every age gap relationship is unhealthy, but yes that is a real thing that happens. For this reason, it's seen as problematic and potentially a red flag when someone routinely pursues young partners.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Eh, depends on the maturity level of the people involved I would say. Some people mature fast and some slow, so it's possible that it could be a fine match.
Personally I would feel weird about it, but I'm not going to judge someone else, as they could be in a different situation than I.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter how others perceive you, both of you are adults and if she is okay with it then that's how it is.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Can a sheltered 21-year-old date a very adventurous 18-year-old? Can two 19-year-olds who have never had a serious relationship before hook up? What are the specifics here?

I mean if you took the time to actually read the various responses that answer OPs question then you wouldn't be asking this clearly rhetorical question.

I don't get it, are you joking here or something? Fixing computers is in no way comparable to having somebody's life and mental health in your hands. Have you ever experienced vicarious trauma, for instance, from fixing computers? Is there a significant and potentially costly emotional burden that comes along with that?

My former job fixing computers and sorting invoices was paid work at 15. I had legal guidelines I had to abide by such as data protection and doing a 10-6 shift and I had my own stresses that came with work like that.

The point that I'm making is that you get training on a job and once you learn from your job training then you know how to do your job. The 18-21 year olds who are mental health and suicide hotline advisors are necessary people and I respect them for their work but their ability to destabilise a stressful situation is a learnt skill and not a inherent gene that gets activated as young as 18-19 years old.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
You do you. As long as you aren't breaking any laws and they reciprocate then it's all gravy.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I mean if you took the time to actually read the various responses that answer OPs question then you wouldn't be asking this clearly rhetorical question.

My former job fixing computers and sorting invoices was paid work at 15. I had legal guidelines I had to abide by such as data protection and doing a 10-6 shift and I had my own stresses that came with work like that.

The point that I'm making is that you get training on a job and once you learn from your job training then you know how to do your job. The 18-21 year olds who are mental health and suicide hotline advisors are necessary people and I respect them for their work but their ability to destabilise a stressful situation is a learnt skill and not a inherent gene that gets activated as young as 18-19 years old.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but the stresses and responsibilities you're talking about are in no way comparable.

Here's another example of what 19 year old women can handle as crisis counsellors - dealing with actual hardcore creeps who call in, or having sick men threaten them with violence and so on. And they still handle all the stress and responsibility of the work.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I've met 40 year olds ( both men and women) that dated 19 or 18 year olds. Personally, I don't care since they're all adults. I knew enough at 18 to know I didn't want to date someone in their 30's or 40's.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, are you joking here or something? Fixing computers is in no way comparable to having somebody's life and mental health in your hands. Have you ever experienced vicarious trauma, for instance, from fixing computers? Is there a significant and potentially costly emotional burden that comes along with that?

The point is that people are capable of doing incredible things at any age. 18 year olds can be considered "adults" and can be responsible individuals and it can also be creepy for a 28 year old to pursue those 18 year olds for a romantic relationship.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I can still quote garbage to point out it's garbage, don't you worry
Why would you respond to something just to say it isn't worth responding to?

Like "hey I don't think your post is even worth typing a reply out to. BUT I'm going to type out a reply just to let you know that"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Hey Roy.
Nothing else, just wanted to say hi 😊

7wr33jW.gif

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I can still quote garbage to point out it's garbage, don't you worry
Did you point out anything? As I recall you basically only wrote "Not worth responding to" but if it makes you feel better then you go ahead believing what you need to. :)

Anyway I'll let you get back to defending dating teens and making incorrect assumptions in this thread!

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
bro a 19 year old isnt your soulmate.

if you want a life lesson for both of you, sure go for it, but this shit is creepy no matter which way you spin it. they are barely one year out of high school. you are a grown adult. it dont add up.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
And I think that's completely fair nuance to bring in, I'm mostly directing my side-eye to the pearl clutchers trying to make it personal rather than the people just answering "yes" to the poll. OP did explicitly ask if it was "creepy" so I know some are just answering the question.
You don't find it weird to try to dunk on these pearl clutchers and not dunk the folks who just okay as long as the shit is legal

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
The point is that people are capable of doing incredible things at any age. 18 year olds can be considered "adults" and can be responsible individuals and it can also be creepy for a 28 year old to pursue those 18 year olds for a romantic relationship.
'incredible things' is vague if you're trying to define what it is to be a mature adult who can handle and deal with their own choices in terms of dating/romance.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Lost Lemurian bro you are being obtuse for no reason.
I mean, I'm pretty personally offended by many of the comments here.

I didn't say you was over 30 I said your situation is fine because you had a shot at growing into your own person. A 19 year old has not.
The Sweden thing is highly relevant since you said it was legal. That was also legal.
the states do have age of consent ranging from 16 and up. A years diff ain't that important in that case. It'll always be creepy for old ass people to shack up with teenagers.
The only thing I can find that resembles this Sweden story is an abduction and gang rape of a 15-year-old by a group of older teens boys, not old men.

So, yeah, not relevant at all, unless there's a different story that I can't find.

The issue I have isn't the gap. For me it's the idea that someone could be 18-19, possibly still in Highschool or a fresh graduate and people view it as a nonissue to be dating someone who is ~30 and old enough to be their teacher.

In your situation 26 and 35 is much different than 18-19 and 27-28. I don't know many who are the same at 26 as they were at 18-19.

You believe it's okay for a 30 year old to be taking a 18-year old to prom? It's legal right? Just turned 18 and now dating your social studies teacher. Legal right?

Context is important. The issue isn't teenagers having sex or relationships. People need to stop equating 18-19 to 28-30.
What is all this highschool talk? What 19-year-old is in highschool? Who goes to prom with someone who isn't a classmate? How is dating your teacher (a person with whom you have a very clear imbalance of power) related to this situation?

And if your major contention is "a 19-year-old isn't mature to be in a relationship" then they shouldn't even date someone their own age, right?

Your example is not an issue, because at 26 you are an adult and have some experience in the world.

For people under 21, the acceptable age gap is lower because so much development goes on in these years. Think about the huge gap in lifestyle / responsibility between 19 and 28.

Young people are also much more susceptible to predatory behavior from older, more experienced partners. Not everyone is a predator, and not every age gap relationship is unhealthy, but yes that is a real thing that happens. For this reason, it's seen as problematic and potentially a red flag when someone routinely pursues young partners.
So, people under 21 shouldn't date people over 21? I can agree that's probably good advice, but I don't think it's nearly so problematic as people are making it out to be.

I used to work with a woman who had her first son at 19 and her second at 22. And I mean I worked with her when she was pregnant, this wasn't some old lady relating a story from the 50s. Conversely, I'm trying to help a friend get out of his shell and meet someone. He's 26 and has never had a serious (or physical) relationship with anyone and still lives at home. Age doesn't equate to experience.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's generally creepy. But I don't know y'all's situation. Hopefully you take some input of those who have elaborated into consideration and see how it applies.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but the stresses and responsibilities you're talking about are in no way comparable.

The point that I'm trying to make is that just because someone can do what is deemed as an adult profession doesn't automatically make them neurologically mature during their malleable years of 18-21.

Even if they know are aware of how to handle mental health crisis and other related psychological issues, they're still young adults. Emphasis on the young part because they're still learning and developing other facets of their youth that goes beyond understanding mental health.

Thank you for phrasing it better than I ever could.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You do you.

Is it weird? I'm gonna say yeah. Mostly because they're fresh outta high school and in the context of The United States at least, you are acting as their supervisor for any nights out like to a bar or something.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

Here's another example of what 19 year old women can handle as crisis counsellors - dealing with actual hardcore creeps who call in, or having sick men threaten them with violence and so on. And they still handle all the stress and responsibility of the work.

Why are we equating emotional stress/responsibility at work with emotional maturity in regards to relationships?

Are teens in the military emotionally mature? Firefighters? Police?

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
The point that I'm trying to make is that just because someone can do what is deemed as an adult profession doesn't automatically make them neurologically mature during their malleable years of 18-21.

Even if they know are aware of how to handle mental health crisis and other related psychological issues, they're still young adults. Emphasis on the young part because they're still learning and developing other facets of their youth that goes beyond understanding mental health.
What is 'neurologically mature'? and why is it what should define the age range people are to date within?

Additionally, dealing with others crises isn't just about dealing with someone else's mental health. Being a crisis counsellor can bring out a lot of aspects of coming to terms with who you are personally, in shaping your own identity. In some ways, at least when I started, it was like speed running some things about myself.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
'incredible things' is vague if you're trying to define what it is to be a mature adult who can handle and deal with their own choices in terms of dating/romance.
Alright I'll be less vague. I know someone who talked their parent out of suicide as a child. That person may have developed an understanding of mental health that goes beyond an adults understanding of that same topic by living and supporting their parent. That person was still a child.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
this just makes me reflect on past situations similar to this and it feels so uncomfortable. i've been the female in this sort of situation before, and even though at the time it seemed okay to me, looking back it was actually pretty creepy and there's definitely a power dynamic at play no matter how you spin it. 19 is so young, and at that age they are truly just so different to you even though it may not appear that way

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
In my field of work, crisis counsellors are also sexual abuse and trauma counsellors and respond to and spend time with victims of sexual abuse and learn the ins and outs of it. Crisis counselling isn't just a 'high level skill', it's having to bear and deal with significant emotional challenges and burdens.
I don't know about this. I have a few social worker friends, and I have a feeling they would say that 19-year-olds are way too young for that kind of job. I suppose it could be possible if those 19-year-olds are just providing a few hours of mentoring a week, while the social worker is the main person working with the people in need, but I do think it's risky to put a 19-year-old (with so little life experience) in that job.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What is all this highschool talk? What 19-year-old is in highschool? Who goes to prom with someone who isn't a classmate? How is dating your teacher (a person with whom you have a very clear imbalance of power) related to this situation?

And if your major contention is "a 19-year-old isn't mature to be in a relationship" then they shouldn't even date someone their own age, right?

So, people under 21 shouldn't date people over 21? I can agree that's probably good advice, but I don't think it's nearly so problematic as people are making it out to be.

The Highschool thing is for the people saying "it's legal so all good". Many 18 year olds in Highschool. It's a hypothetical. My initial post presenting those hypotheticals specifically mention "for those saying it's legal".

Also this "19 year olds can't date other 19 year olds because x,y and z" is ridiculous. I never said 19 year olds can't be in a relationship. I said 19 year olds are much different from 28-30 due to life experience, because 19 years old is basically fresh out of Highschool while a 28-30 year old is not. There is a world of difference in life experience between those two age groups. I've even used my own experiences as an example in this thread to show what I was doing at 28 compared to 19.

If you're going to argue with me then at the very least please don't misrepresent what I'm saying. I've posted plenty of times for you to be able to understand what I meant.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Thank you for phrasing it better than I ever could.

Yes.

Very similar to how therapists...tend to have their own therapists.

Being educated and trained in treating other people does not necessarily make one qualified in (or even capable of) treating themselves.

I was trained in conflict mediation in high school and majored in Social Work in college. Was still an immature 19 year old.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Alright I'll be less vague. I know someone who talked their parent out of suicide as a child. That person may have developed an understanding of mental health that goes beyond an adults understanding of that same topic. That person was still a child.
Aren't we talking about adults here though, not children?

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the posts in here lol. Yes, fam, 28 and 19 is creepy. Age gaps are not a problem, but age gaps between people in their mid to late 20s and teens is absolutely a problem. Stop talking about 'legal'. Do not base your morality off of laws. You know damn well 18 year olds are still children. Don't convince yourself otherwise because the law says it is fine. The laws says many fucked up things are fine.

It's extremely problematic and should be frowned on.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about 19 years old aren't we? Is there something that's happened and now 19 year olds are children?
18 and 19 year olds are legally adults yes. They still have much more in common with younger teenagers than they do with 30 year olds

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about 19 years old aren't we? Is there something that's happened and now 19 year olds are children?
Say the age out loud. They are teens. Do you think just because legally they've been deemed an adult that a switch flipped from 17-18 where they gained years of maturity?

The fact people keep using whats been decided as legal is really weird especially when plenty of places have laws saying even younger is legal.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I probably wouldn't do it, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. Go for it.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The years after high school change your life experience so much that I can't imagine you two have a whole lot in common.

If you do though, it's fine. I would just make sure you're not being pushy, let them lead things a bit.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Say the age out loud. They are teens. Do you think just because legally they've been deemed an adult that a switch flipped from 17-18 where they gained years of maturity?

The fact people keep using whats been decided as legal is really weird especially when plenty of places have laws saying even younger is legal.
So when they're 20 does that switch flip? When the teen part of the number is gone? What decides when someone is an adult. People refer to vague determinations about 25 year old neurology but why would that be the specific marker for child/adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.