• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is such a big age gap creepy?

• Yes, you're a creepy.

Votes: 1,883 42.4%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 836 18.8%
  • No, you're fine.

Votes: 1,727 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I heard "They're mature for their age" was from someone dating a 15 y/o at 18.

At that age gap you're going to start noticing the effects of the aging process so much earlier than your partner and things will fall apart.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
That sounds like the kind of thing that can happen in a relationship of any age, especially financial abuse. Certainly one that's more likely to happen here and I think that's something predatory partners look for, in which case I think it's appropriate that the OP is asking these questions and going "okay here's XYZ, what should I do?"

Like, I'm an emotional wreck with zero control of my ongoing and only recently diagnosed mental disorders. Is anyone who dates me inherently taking advantage because of my problems? Is that not something I can check for myself and be vigilant for?

Agreed. But its the likely part that's damning. People come in a wide variety of spectrums, personalities etc so like you said, its not specific to age difference. But like even with your example, the fact you're able to identify your issues and got them diagnosed, along with the self actualization on what it would mean for future partners (and how you would mitigate them). The work your doing, even if its just acknowledgement, shows that you're tackling it from a emotionally mature place.

Could a 19 year old be at that level? Possibly. Early therapy, supportive parents/school, etc. But I would make an argument that for many lived experiences and having actually gone through those issues…with past partners, through more real life stressors, etc. Sometimes you gotta fail through shit to get to where we need to be, and you had more opportunities to fail (like the rest of us apparent olds, lol)

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'm 28 and teach at a school where my students can be as old as 19. I'd literally never even think of doing such a thing

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because with age gaps starting that young (and 19 is legal, but it's still young), this is often the form that power imbalance takes.

It's easy to have this conversation online devoid of nuance and subtlety (as is the online way). In that way, people tend to think of power imbalance as an obvious thing that people willingly and knowingly abuse. But that's often not the case.

In reality, power imbalance can be as subtle as the fresh adult enamored by the older person giving them the time of day, and the older person infatuated by the doe eyed youth who isn't experienced enough yet to see their flaws (which we all have).

Granted, the term "red flag" does is not a definite. It's by definition pointing out warning signs, which is all I'm doing. OP is grown, and so is that 19 year old. But they also created this thread asking for advice from strangers on this internet. And there are red flags. I would ask OP to consider why this 19 year old who seems mature for their age also makes them feel wanted. Ultimately, they're going to do what they want, but they should keep that in mind.
See this is a way better and more understanding viewpoint than just "it's a red flag."

I absolutely agree that the immediate image that comes to mind is the one that most of us had, that's why I don't think I'd ever be interested in doing it for myself. But I think in this case it's more helpful to the OP that we encourage them to check where this can go wrong and where those mistakes commonly flourish. Are you capable of financial abuse? Is the relationship becoming too codependent? You're not supposed to parent your partner, but are they trying to push things in a way you're uncomfortable with? If you're in the States are they bugging you to let them drink?

At least how I see it, it's just another example of the hurdles that come with relationships. It's stuff to acknowledge and think through, and OP is right to ask about it now. Of course it can go wrong, they can all go wrong, that's why God in heaven above invented breaking up with someone, but I think just because the potential of a toxic relationship exists in a greater quantity here (you know, saying that without any understanding of who these two are) that doesn't mean it has to end as such.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It really does depend on the people. I know someone who was with a 20 year old when they were 28 and they were an absolutely perfect match. They have been together now for almost as decade, are married, and have a child on the way.

Saying that... they went into the relationship looking for something long-term. They met each other, hit it off, and it grew from there naturally. If you are just looking for hook-ups with people that are that young with such an age-gap, then it is definitely in creep territory. If it is this then I'd say you should take a step back and really think about what you are doing here and the impact it could have.

If this person is someone you are finding a natural connection with beyond physical attraction, if it is something you might consider for a longer term relationship, I would say carry on and don't let the judgment of others affect you. If you are a good match that judgement will fade in time.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
I don't like the word creepy in this situation because it implies some sort of nefarious intent. It's weird (to me) but being weird is ok.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
See this is a way better and more understanding viewpoint than just "it's a red flag."

I absolutely agree that the immediate image that comes to mind is the one that most of us had, that's why I don't think I'd ever be interested in doing it for myself. But I think in this case it's more helpful to the OP that we encourage them to check where this can go wrong and where those mistakes commonly flourish. Are you capable of financial abuse? Is the relationship becoming too codependent? You're not supposed to parent your partner, but are they trying to push things in a way you're uncomfortable with? If you're in the States are they bugging you to let them drink?

At least how I see it, it's just another example of the hurdles that come with relationships. It's stuff to acknowledge and think through, and OP is right to ask about it now. Of course it can go wrong, they can all go wrong, that's why God in heaven above invented breaking up with someone, but I think just because the potential of a toxic relationship exists in a greater quantity here (you know, saying that without any understanding of who these two are) that doesn't mean it has to end as such.

But it is a red flag. I apologize for not prefacing that with paragraphs of explanation to suit you, but I stand by the basic statement. It's a red flag.

OP
OP
Bee.Cups

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
When I say she's mature for her age I really mean she's more mature than I was at that age but I'm autistic so that might not be saying much.

For all the people worried about taking her to a bar I don't drink.

Please don't hesitate to share exactly what your thoughts are, I'm a big girl I can handle it. I really want y'all's opinions.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If you both are consenting adults it's not really our business. It may turn out to be a mistake for one or the other of you, but you won't know that til you try.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's just that 19-year-olds are absolutely not done with their cognitive development, and are prone to some really bizarre and damaging decision-making.

I feel for 18-19 year olds because they're labelled as adults with an expectation to understand everything about adulthood but you can clearly tell that they're still developing.

I also don't understand why the United States has the law of drinking at 21? That makes no sense to me especially when you can literally do every other adult activity at 18.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Bee.Cups that's a good question, and I think that it depends...

Admittedly I'm older than you, but I personally wouldn't. I think that as a woman – at least in my experience and in the experience of a lot of women I know – you really begin to find your feet around the ages of 22 to 23. And perceived maturity doesn't change this. That's why I think it's so creepy when the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio always go for women under the age of 23. It's easier to manipulate them... Now, I'm really not saying that it's your goal here, don't take me wrong! And the age difference really isn't that big in your case. But you're still 28, so it's something you need to acknowledge if you decide to continue with this.

With that said, you're right to take her seriously. She's really young, but she's an adult after all. If you really feel a true connection with her and still decide to go beyond simple flirting, why not discuss the situation with her and express your thoughts about it? Of course, she'll probably say that everything is alright, but at least your intentions and point of view will be out in the open. It's always better when there's real, honest communication around these things. But be aware of the implications of the age gap and of dating a woman younger than 23 (for her and for you).

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
You are more than fine. My wife and I are beyond that stupid bullshit half plus 7, and you know what? We're happy and going on 4 years. You do you.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it is a red flag. I apologize for not prefacing that with paragraphs of explanation to suit you, but I stand by the basic statement. It's a red flag.
I mean are we here to just lay definitions or are we here to give advice to someone with a question they're unsure of?

Because I agree, it's a red flag in the sense that potential for problems exist in these scenarios (I mean besides "this person wants me" being a red flag, I don't get that), but just going "this is a red flag" doesn't provide an opportunity to learn or understand where those red flags can lead, it just sounds like you're scaring them off and I don't think that's what you want to do, I think you're wanting to be helpful as you laid out in your earlier response to me.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Lol what? The 19 yr old is a grown adult who can make her own choices. How do you know they are in different places? 27 is not that old.

For one a person who is 28 has been working for almost a decade and likely lives in their own and pays their own bills while the other just finished Highschool a few months prior.

If that isn't different stages of life then I don't know what is.

I was a completely different person at 19 then I was at 28. I bought a house at 29. At 19 I got my license, my first job and spent free time playing Guitar Hero.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Lol what? The 19 yr old is a grown adult who can make her own choices. How do you know they are in different places? 27 is not that old.

Legally is not morality, countless studies have shown that the brain is still developing all the way to your early 20s. Yes, the law classifies her as an adult so she has the right to engage in adult activities but let's not pretend that a 19 year old has the same cognitive awareness as a 27 year old.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
No, if she's alright with it then you are fine. It's not my thing personally, but two adults doing adult things is not a concern of mine if both are willing participants.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Saying that... they went into the relationship looking for something long-term. They met each other, hit it off, and it grew from there naturally. If you are just looking for hook-ups with people that are that young with such an age-gap, then it is definitely in creep territory.
They absolutely can both be looking for something "long-term" and it still be creepy.
I feel like when people make these statements they fall into one of three categories:

1. They are in their late-teens/early 20's and perceive themselves to be a bit "further along" than they actually are, and may be imprinting themselves on the younger person.

2. They have been in that situation themselves as the older one and see nothing wrong with it, because that would mean that they were in the wrong

3. They have never actually interacted with someone with that level of an age gap from them and have this perception of how someone that age would think and act versus how they actually do.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
19 is an adult. treating people like "children" in to their 20s ie (anyone not just their parents but especially their parents) is whats wrong with the US... tbh.

Everyone is different at 19 some are well beyond their years and some most probably aren't. But whats the point of the 18 is an "Adult" thing if we dont go by it. Yes most of the time an 18 year old knows NOTHING... but its definitely person by person.

if your both adults its fine, anything else is just social norms....

Science says the brain is still developing until 25, so "US" (I'm not from there) is not wrong. They are adults but older adults have a significant advantage and should be aware of this.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Legally is not morality, countless studies have shown that the brain is still developing all the way to your early 20s. Yes, the law classifies her as an adult so she has the right to engage in adult activities but let's not pretend that a 19 year old has the same cognitive awareness as a 27 year old.
Dude knock it off. Adults can do whatever the fuck they want. This is not morality.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I dated a 19 year old at 23 and absolutely fell for her. It was a very good relationship for the most of it, and I think she enjoyed being with an older guy.

But we got to the ages of 22/26 respectively and the gap became very pronounced. She'd just left college and had her whole life ahead of her; I just bought a house. We were just in too different stages of our lives. Add another 4 years on and... Eesh.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I've flirted with 24-25 year olds and realized we already had a generational gap within three minutes of talking.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Eh. I think it's situational. Personally I wouldn't initiate flirting with a much younger woman. But, if they seem receptive to it, or flirting themselves, then I say have at it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I mean are we here to just lay definitions or are we here to give advice to someone with a question they're unsure of?

Because I agree, it's a red flag in the sense that potential for problems exist in these scenarios (I mean besides "this person wants me" being a red flag, I don't get that), but just going "this is a red flag" doesn't provide an opportunity to learn or understand where those red flags can lead, it just sounds like you're scaring them off and I don't think that's what you want to do, I think you're wanting to be helpful as you laid out in your earlier response to me.

This is all true, just be careful. Nobody owes you an explanation for their opinion. You asked for one and I gave it to you. You don't need to sus out my motivations. lol

Again, this is an advice thread, on an internet message board. None of us are going to order OP's steps. But these are things they should consider. And that particular line (among a few) jumped out at me as trying to convince one's self. And I think that's the key here. In most situations (including this one), I've learned that it's best to stay vigilant for situations where it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of something.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Science says the brain is still developing until 25, so "US" (I'm not from there) is not wrong. They are adults but older adults have a significant advantage and should be aware of this.
Who gives a shit? The brain starts diminishing not long after. You only live once. If you are both adults and have a connection, who gives a fuck? You can die tomorrow.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Dude knock it off. Adults can do whatever the fuck they want. This is not morality.

You clearly did not read my previous response because I clearly highlighted that she can engage in adult activities.

Also, it's pretty reactionary of you to say something like this when mental maturity is a potential deal-breaker for an age gap relationship like this.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
It really depends on the people involved. There could be a pretty big difference in mentality and maturity as well. But as I said before that really depends on the people.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Personally I think it's pretty weird. At 29 I couldn't imagine being interested in someone 10 years younger. Even in the past 5 years my life has changed so dramatically and I've matured so significantly. Can't imagine dating someone who still has yet to even approach these crucial years.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
I'm the older person in a relationship with a large age gap. I'm 38, he's 28. I've been trying to follow the campsite rule that Dan Savage has. The goal at the end of the relationship, whenever that comes, is to leave them in a better place than you found them. No emotional trauma or diseases. Provide life education as much as you can.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Who gives a shit? The brain starts diminishing not long after. You only live once. If you are both adults and have a connection, who gives a fuck? You can die tomorrow.

I mean, she asked our opinion lol.

I tend to think long term though, never "I may die tomorrow so whatever".

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Lol. Don't kid yourself. 19-year-old kids are pretty stupid. Just owning a car is impressive to them.

Not every 19 year old is the same, some of them have a lot more life experience and the ability to make decisions and in general more overall agency than others. Likewise there are 28 years olds who have less of those qualities. Saying that the 19 year old doesn't know what she wants because she is too young ignores the fact that she is making the decision to find out if OP is what she wants. Also as a former 19 year old I remember just as much manipulation, toxicity, and "bad partners" from my peers at that age then as any other.

Life is a finite, and if the chemistry and mutual attraction is there I think OP should explore it to see if they are a match.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
american anwers=all below 25 is a kid so its creepy
european = whatever

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I left my dream job working running a video game store after being hit on by two 19-20 year old girls and my first through was I'm to old for this (was 28 at the time).

I then realized the magic was gone and I had to get a corporate job.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
When I was 19 i came out and lost my virginity to a 31yo (he lied, said he was 28) I found online. It went fine. I wanted someone experienced and patient with a guiding hand and he wanted some sweet untapped teen ass. A mutual exchange.

Creepy and weird? In hindsight: Yes. Action between consenting adults? Also yes. Would I, now 32 myself, hook up with a 19 year old? Fuck no lmao. I know what was going through my head and it wasn't healthy! The youngest guy I've had any kind of interaction with is still a good friend and is 4 years my junior. Anything lower than that I don't think would be compatible.

Edit: but we're not even talking about sex here, just romance???

Look..... no. Lol. Are 19 year olds "wise for their age" or are they just good at saying all the right things to get what they want? Cuz that was me, yanked out of community college and thrust into an office job evironment where everyone was in their 30s and 40s. I thought I was at the top of the world...

Romantically I had no idea what I was doing until I was like 27. Before that I feel like I was just emulating what my partners were doing.

Last edited:

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I mean, she asked our opinion lol.

I tend to think long term though, never "I may die tomorrow so whatever".
Not every relationship will be long term. Very few actually are. Sometimes even a short term one can be beneficial to both parties. Life experiences and learning happen with all of them.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Two consenting adults are attracted to each other. The rest is none of my business. If you for example only went out with 18-19 year olds then I would feel some type of way about it.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. You know what my point is there.
I feel like coming at it with the mentality of "I knew someone that it worked out for, so it could work for others", when in reality they would probably be the extreme exception is the wrong way to do it
Not every relationship will be long term. Very few actually are. Sometimes even a short term one can be beneficial to both parties. Life experiences and learning happen with all of them.
How old are you?

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for 18-19 year olds because they're labelled as adults with an expectation to understand everything about adulthood but you can clearly tell that they're still developing.

I also don't understand why the United States has the law of drinking at 21? That makes no sense to me
especially when you can literally do every other adult activity at 18.
You quite literally answered your own question right before you asked it

Status
Not open for further replies.