• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Is :

• Good Anime

Votes: 280 53.4%
  • Bad Anime

Votes: 244 46.6%

• Total voters

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing as good anime.
tenor.gif

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Is there an anime character stronger than Madara Uchiha? And I'm referring to Rinne Tensei Madara Uchiha with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikidou paths ability) equipped with his Gunbai and control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, a complete Susano'o, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in his chest so he can perform Mokuton kekkei genkai and yin-yang release ninjutsu as well as being extremely skilled in taijutsu and bukijutsu

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at thinking the design in htis game hasn't always been fan pandering bullshit.

I love FF7, but you're deluded if you think this stuff isn't overt.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa's shy? Since when?

It's obvious this thread is only about complaining about the women in the game.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's Final Fantasy VII. It's the game that mainstreamed shitty anime series plot structuring to JRPGs and effectively killed the old "epic novel" structure that had defined the genre before that. It's a watershed moment in the tragic shift of JRPGs from being structured tales of large casts and sweeping scope to being focused on shitty teenagers and vapid pseudo-philosophy. It's a towering monument to everything that defines bad '90s anime and its inescapable miasmic influence, twinned across the river with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
From the six hours I've played so far it's pretty subdued compared to say FFXIII or FFXV. One thing I'm not into is how

All the girls are so explicitly thristy for cloud, it was somehow more subtle with single digit polgon sprits

Also leans a bit into Kingdom Heartsiness.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
The original FFVII is one of my favourite games ever. From what I've seen of the Remake it is the taking the worst parts of anime with the cutscenes. Overly melodramatic acting and animations are the worst thing when anime do it and it's not any better when shown in HD 3D graphics.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Starting the thread off right.

The story is pretty cool, but some fans elevate it to the greatest of history's written works because of things just cause it was their first game that told a story bigger than "rescue the princess from these various castles".

People on this very forum do the same shit with western games all the time. Heck, they do it before they even get to play the games thensekves in many cases. We a have TLOU2 spiked panic thread right now because people are worried NDs supposed magnum opus will be spoiled lol

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
It's bait but when literally any anime related thread on this site turns into the same exact thing everytime, it's a bit tiring imo

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Final Fantasy VII. It's the game that mainstreamed shitty anime series plot structuring to JRPGs and effectively killed the old "epic novel" structure that had defined the genre before that. It's a watershed moment in the tragic shift of JRPGs from being structured tales of large casts and sweeping scope to being focused on shitty teenagers and vapid pseudo-philosophy. It's a towering monument to everything that defines bad '90s anime and its inescapable miasmic influence, twinned across the river with Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Ah yes the group of teenagers of FFVII.

And by that I mean all one of them.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im not a fan of everyone being thirsty over Cloud off the bat, it's very modern anime in that sense. Tifa was more distant with Cloud in the original until near the end.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

Agreed. And FF7 is really bad anime. It's not even set in high school and I don't recall Tifa ever running late and having toast in her mouth.

I don't think you can satisfyingly answer this from an "in a vacuum" perspective. While FF7 isn't the first to feature the brooding emo boy protagonist or the swords bigger than the wielders themselves or the death that launched a thousand weeps, it defined its generation and is still looked at as one of the most important and most influential games of all time. It's to JRPGs what Sailor Moon is to magical girl anime.

Read OP and stay on topic

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The OP has an interesting discussion regarding the use of anime tropes in the remake, but it can't happen if everyone is derailing or being hostile to each other. Please try and stay on topic.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for not locking my thread. For a second I thought their might have been a double standard with this game being criticized.

People have been very defensive about this game. And I'm not saying this as a hater, I fucking love FF7.

I think the problem with the remake is all the added stuff. OG had less dialogue, less animations, less characterization, so the player filled what the game missed with whatever had in his/her mind. Remake though, has more of everything, and it's obviously done in a more anime aesthetic being an SE game (just look at XV), so it's gonna be more annoying for some people..

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy is its own thing. I don't think it is reduceable to just being anime. For me this comes from, the style and production to some degree, which I feel is treads a line between anime and realism which is rather rare in Japanese sci fi fantasy productions more broadly. In terms of character behaviours, characters may conform to tropes sure, but that doesn't mean the game does still have quite a lot of originality in terms of the world it is set in. You also have to bear in mind that it is fundamentally a remake of a game which at its core is still over two decades old, and is still constrained by that formative period.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I do wonder if FF7 was the "OG" harem JRPG in that sense.... >.>
Im not a fan of everyone being thirsty over Cloud off the bat, it's very modern anime in that sense. Tifa was more distant with Cloud in the original until near the end.
That's disappointing, but not surprising I suppose. I only played the demo so far but Jessie was kind of ridiculous in it. Over-the-top thirsty for Cloud at every moment and it basically defined her entire personality.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how you define bad anime.

Going by all the spoilers that have came out there's a lot more ridiculous OTT spectacle, and a lot of the darker elements of the opening act of the original game have been sanded out to be more broadly palatable.

So if someone comes at FFVII and said "this is acceptable levels of anime" I don't think they'll take the remake well. I'm sure not.

Ah hell what did they do to Tifa?