• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Is :

• Good Anime

Votes: 280 53.4%
  • Bad Anime

Votes: 244 46.6%

• Total voters

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Now that its more or less released and many people on the forum have watched previews, played the demo, or watched full playthroughs I decided to make a poll. There is often criticism of anime designs and tropes in gaming so I would like the know where the forum as a majority stands with this Remake(polls are great). Here are some designs and tropes with particular main characters and side characters that stand out to me. Give a vote and feel free to add or discuss these or any others you've noticed in the game.

latest

Cloud Strife: Attractive features, calm cool guy personality, suitable battle attire, stronger than he looks trope, comes across as harem protagonist with 2/3 female characters important to the story expressing blatant romantic interest(maybe 3/3?). There are plenty that fit Cloud's description in anime.

Tifa Lockhart: Attractive appearance, calm and shy personality with sexually pandering outfit that doesn't match her personality or fit the combat scenario she participates in. Romantic interest in main character. You see this type of character a lot in anime/manga.

Jessie: Attractive appearance, friendly outgoing personality, romantic interest in main character, shamelessly flirts with main character with innuendo and/or physical contact upon every meeting. You see this kind of character a lot in harem anime.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no such thing as good anime.

Edit: This was a joke. I like anime. Apologies for derailing the thread.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If good anime is the likes of Cowboy Bebop.

Then it's bad anime.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no such thing as good anime.
Starting the thread off right.

The story is pretty cool, but some fans elevate it to the greatest of history's written works because of things just cause it was their first game that told a story bigger than "rescue the princess from these various castles".

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's anime and it's good. You have to see it in action. It's no different from any cyberpunk works.

They fit into this world in the same way that Mad Max or the characters of Escape from New York work in their post-apoc looking costume design. It's a well crafted world with well crafted characters. There is absolutely nothing bad about it

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
All the obsession with archetypes is as fucking tiring as all the people who tries to make Star Wars comparison for the series. What matters is the execution.
Anyone who pretends FF7 isn't a masterfully executed game is lying to themselves. There is a reason FF7's characters are among the most iconic characters in the entire industry. They are well-designed, well-defined and the archetypes they're based off doesn't paint the full picture of the depth of these characters.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at Tifa and Cloud.... bad. I mean, even a game like RE3 is somewhere between good and bad anime... so FFVIIR for sure is on the bad (bad) side.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if it's good anime or bad anime, but it's anime enough that I feel like it's gonna annoy me. Like, design aside, character interactions feel pretty much anime, for example, take Tifa, her talking animations seems straight ripped from FFXV's Iris.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tropey as the game can be i suppose it says a lot to its quality that modern jrpgs are far more unbearable in this regard. IMO anyway

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a chance of this thread going well at all. It's not even out yet, most people haven't seen it.

there's a lot of people that are having their judgement clouded one way or the other right now. This thread topic might be more interesting half a year from now.

edit: that being said, I like what I see so far, so I voted yes

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't think there's a chance of this thread going well at all. It's not even out yet, most people haven't seen it.

there's a lot of people that are having their judgement clouded one way or the other right now. This thread topic might be more interesting half a year from now.

edit: that being said, I like what I see so far, so I voted yes

People will still be triggered by the word anime in half a year

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Bad anime, without a doubt. Harem, woman in clothes for sake of fanservice defying the world and character's personality, talking animals with edgy hairstyles, pretty boy main antagonist. It's all there.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
"Bad anime," when you're so intellectually lazy you can't even properly explain why you dislike something.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Explain to me how it's not anime.

Just tell me.
I'm not necessarily affirming if it's anime or not; I just can't ascertain your stance from that post because there's nothing self-evident about it. What you're trying to say becomes more clear in follow ups. You could argue that Cloud looks less anime in that art because of less exaggerated proportions, gradient colors, lack of focus on facial expressions, and thin outlines. In my head when I see that I just see an illustration of a person. The counter obviously are the exaggerated sword size, purple jump suit, and spiky hair. Just arguing for some clarity in debate!