• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
No, but what? Are you going to tell me a game that was one of the top ten downloaded games on PS3 for about three years running didn't sell and no one played it? Come on.
It could be in the tip ten psn for ps3, but as long as we don't have actual hard data it doesn't really help. It could be in the top ten and still less than a million.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's Final Fantasy VII. You're quoting Final Fantasy VII.

That's Final Fantasy IX. You're quoting Final Fantasy IX.
inception_top_spin-500x208.gif

Rods

May 1, 2020
Has already been said by almost everyone in this thread but it bares repeating.

The most universally beloved Final Fantasy game is FFVI. Has almost nothing bad said about it. It's almost universally accepted as the best FF game with no real pushback.

BUT I fucking love FFIX. I used to have to defend it frequently. People in my friend groups were tough on it due to it's exaggerated characters and fantasy setting. I think American audiences had a different impression of Final Fantasy after 7&8.

Thankfully FF9 had a Wind Waker-ish Renaissance. People are much kinder to it and that makes me very happy.

Steiner and Vivi were my bois
It gets no pushback because it only sold like 4million copies, so a lot of the fanbase didn't even play the game and a lot of those that played already moved on from gaming.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It could be in the tip ten psn for ps3, but as long as we don't have actual hard data it doesn't really help. It could be in the top ten and still less than a million.

So you're saying PSN games in general weren't selling? Seems unlikely they'd have bothered with lists for such an unused feature. Besides, then you'd be saying games like FFVII (which IX outsold some months) and various other classics also weren't selling, and that seems unlikely.

Plenty of people have played FFIX, or at least bought it.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
IX is near the bottom of my own personal list after you account for the usual bottom tier mainline entries (13, 15, 2, etc.) for a few reasons:
1) I'm not a giant fan of most of the cast, namely Quina, Eiko and Zidane. Zidane just came off as creepy to me and Eiko just felt like they could have given all her skills and abilities to Garnet and lost nothing. I like the concept of Quina but did not like the eating for blue magic aspect.
2) The game gets horribly boring in a few places, most notably the Gargan Roo which always puts me to sleep at least once on every playthrough. Final Fantasy 9 is the only FF game I've ever played (aside from 11 for different reasons) that I've actually fallen asleep playing multiple times. I feel like a lot of the stops the party makes drag on and on.
3) I really am not a giant fan of Kuja after 5, 6, 7, and 8's villains casts.
4) Not a fan of the way you learn skills at all when compared to 5/6/7/8.
5) The card game in FF9 sucks compared to 8.
6) I didn't find Ozma a very compelling or interesting super boss in comparison to 5/7/8 especially.

There was plenty I did love in the game though!

All in all: I think FF9 is a fantastic game (I like all the Final Fantasy mainline games to a certain degree) but it's not in my top 5 mainline games and may not even be in my top 10 if I was ranking only 1-15. I still play it (and the rest of the franchise) yearly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's the most beloved as much as just the one that generated the least hate.

Bossanova

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
It's the best FF, and also has the best soundtrack. One can only hope for a remake of sorts in the future.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
It is my first FF game, and definitely my favorite. I am kinda sure FFVII is the consensus, though.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
probably

wish it had a better soundtrack though

Wtf. 9 has an amazing sound track. Like an actually stellar track. I can't believe this is an opinion an actual person has.

It is my first FF game, and definitely my favorite. I am kinda sure FFVII is the consensus, though.

Nah seven is certainly a lot of people's favorites and is iconic, but it gets a lot of deserved flak as well. Especially for the pretty terrible localization. 7's battle system is also incredibly boring for a good chunk of the game while the player accumulates materia.

I just finished 9 for the first time a like a week ago, and it's easily my favorite FF tho. Easily best cast and ost.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's my favorite FF by a large margin and also in my Top Ten of Games of All Time.

It's a beautiful game that just explodes with creativity and a lovely cast. The world feels so... so... authentic.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Nobody talks bad about it because of how goddamned mediocre it is. Which, I guess, means it's at least not hated?

It was less a step back and more a step in the wrong direction for me. I was looking forward to a more classic-styled FF after 7 and 8 and got... slow combat, a shitty story that meandered and only one interesting character out of Freya, and she wasn't even that interesting!

It's more a disappointment festival than a hate wagon.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah seven is certainly a lot of people's favorites and is iconic, but it gets a lot of deserved flak as well. Especially for the pretty terrible localization.

I just finished 9 for the first time a like a week ago, and it's easily my favorite FF tho. Easily best cast and ost.

People bring this up but I think VII's lovers alone vastly outweigh any of the "haters" or any of the flak it get's. Not to sound snide, but there's a reason VII has a remake and IX doesn't. I feel like that alone should qualify it for most beloved FF before IX.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
People bring this up but I think VII's lovers alone vastly outweigh any of the "haters" or any of the flak it get's. Not to sound snide, but there's a reason VII has a remake and IX doesn't. I feel like that alone should qualify it for most beloved FF before IX.

...? I'm sure there are more people who have played and loved Ff7 than there are people who have even played FF9. Ff7 also likely has a ton more haters than 9 and I'd argue probably has a higher percentage as well.

The reason it got a remake is because Ff7 sold a fuck ton, that's not exactly the point tho.

dang0

Oct 28, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
IX was the one I got the furthest into out of the psx ffs. I got to the part where you have to count the people to cook the right amount of food for everyone. Then the chef character shows up out of nowhere and because I didn't cook extra they permanently left my party. It was such bullshit I dropped the game right there and never went back. It's the only thing I still remember from that game.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I've found that 6 seems to have the least criticism leveled at it, and the criticism that you do see tends to be weak (second half is "boring," it's too easy, etc).

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
...? I'm sure there are more people who have played and loved Ff7 than there are people who have even played FF9. Ff7 also likely has a ton more haters than 9 and I'd argue probably has a higher percentage as well.

The reason it got a remake is because Ff7 sold a fuck ton, that's not exactly the point tho.

It got a remake because the old Tech Demo created an outcry so large for so long that Square finally relented and made the game.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I can't tell if you trollishly love working up jrpg fans by trashing their sacred cow, if you're genuinely passionate about how much you hate FFVI or both.

Either way, bravo. I've seen your work many times. You're dedicated to your cause.
I don't enjoy trashing FF6 because that involves actively discussing FF6, which I hate. But sometimes even the best of us slip up.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Oh wow, surprised seeing it get this much attention. Im playing through it currently for the first time, just finished Disc 3 and Im doing side missions before going to the final dungeon.

I like / love it, but I can't see anywaythat its better than VII so far - for me IX has a lot of problems.. I realise this isn't the topics question but Im surprised to see the love for the game.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's a good game that is overhyped but it's far from the best one. There are multiple ff games that are better than it.

It doesn't even get close to being the top. It loses out in pretty much every way.

Nobody talks bad about it because of how goddamned mediocre it is. Which, I guess, means it's at least not hated?

It was less a step back and more a step in the wrong direction for me. I was looking forward to a more classic-styled FF after 7 and 8 and got... slow combat, a shitty story that meandered and only one interesting character out of Freya, and she wasn't even that interesting!

It's more a disappointment festival than a hate wagon.
exactly

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nothing is universally beloved within the fanbase.

I feel like VI is the one people dislikes the least. Being the second most popular, but not enough to generate a counter culture like VII did.

Pretty much every FF will be cited in a discussion about the most disliked game in the series, anyway.

FFIX is definitely the most beloved in my personal one person fanclub, tho.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
VI, as other people said, is the most beloved one. I haven't played it, I know the story but the characters seem a bit dull.

But in general, people always love to hate on some Final Fantasy, so it's hard to say which one is the most beloved.

Anyways FFX is great.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I'd put my money on VI. I personally consider 6 and 9 (modern versions to counter the slowness) to be the best

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
VI is only popular on forums. The majority of people that buy these games have never even played it

Even in Japan where it sold 90% of its copies its below IV and V.

VII and X are the best selling and most beloved games in the series

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I rarely see anyone badmouth IX, although I have quite a few gripes with it. Mainly that outside of Vivi, the character design is not very good IMO. Kuja should be an iconic character that people still talk about today, but he just looks so dumb.

On the other side, Sephiroth is barely even a character but his design is so iconic that everyone knows who he is.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I think VII in general and VI in online discussions.

But it should be Tactics in my completely unbiased opinion.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
my favorite FF, i never heard any negative comment about this game except some people dislike the chibi character design

originally i also wasn't a fan of this design decision, look weird to me, but after i played that thing, it's quickly become my best FF ever even until now

also Princess Garnet til Alexandros is my favorite waifu

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Never past the second disc i think after reaching that tree. I loved the beginning of game which starts with a bang but slow battles, weird characters put me off after a while. Interesting world but super boring gameplay.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wasnt there a chunk of players dissatisfied by the chibi look? I dunno, it probably has just as many critics as any other.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Yeah I rarely see anyone badmouth IX, although I have quite a few gripes with it. Mainly that outside of Vivi, the character design is not very good IMO. Kuja should be an iconic character that people still talk about today, but he just looks so dumb.

On the other side, Sephiroth is barely even a character but his design is so iconic that everyone knows who he is.
No u

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
VII and X are probably the most popular in the series, but VI and IX seem popular among western fans who are invested enough to post online about the games.

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having played the PSX trilogy for the first time last year on Switch, IX seemed to me like the worst one. Painfully slow battles and childish plot. VII and VIII were miles better.