• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I thought it was a 'pretty good' game, but didn't have a lot of staying power with me. It became especially obvious when I was playing it through again on hard mode. I loved the combat and there are so many wonderful nostalgic moments like seeing Aerith's house for the first time. I'm even open minded (though not totally on board quite yet) about the liberties in terms of story direction. But I just felt like it was being pulled from set piece to set piece with bogged down train graveyards, robot hands, and sewer chases in between. After naturally putting it down upon finishing, I find myself just not thinking about the game a whole lot. It was fine.

It'll probably be in my personal top ten for the year, but not sure on top five.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, just because there are some true masterpieces

but FF7R really was a great and overall positive experience

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Definitely.

It has maybe the best OST of the generation, one of the best gameplays of the gen, some of the best (and a few times, worst) graphics of the gen, sweet animation, pretty interesting story (although for me, a bit too short) and really awesome group of character. Haven't had a squad I loved this much since FFX, had to deal with the pile of dogshit that is FFXIII, XII was good but had an NPC as the protagonist, and XV took too long to get there.

CleverRemarkableCrossbill-max-1mb.gif

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I've completed the original probably around 5 times (pretty much 100%, all characters at level 99, materia, gold chocobo etc). Remake I really enjoyed but after 4 hours I dunno if I've got older and am struggling to get into RPG's I can't be bothered to boot up the PS4 (And it's next to me and I have 3 screens so could dip in and out).

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Nah I sold it without even bothering to finish a final boss. Promised myself to watch the ending on YouTube but I guess I'm not even that bothered to do that.

more like the biggest disappointment of the generation. Demo made me hype af but the game was padded out to the point that battle system was showing its limits in a bad way.
And the story... oh god, the story.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game was fine but i felt they botched a great opportunity

could have brought in throngs of "new fans" but i can't imagine anybody new would slog through the whole game.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yes absolutely. I'm the biggest FF7 fan and they did the game Justice with the Remake. Sublime game and One of my GOTG.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It was OK and nothing more, not even close to being one of the best games of the generation.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
It's of course not perfect and I 100% understand the people who have less than positive opinions on it, but it was the game that I honestly had the MOST fun with in recent history. I loved the worldbuilding, the characters, the battle systems...

I'd never even played the OG, and IMMEDIATELY after finishing FF7R, I bought the OG on Switch and devoured it (didn't age well but some of the twists in the story had me like :O ).

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
No. I started playing pretty hyped but there's so many things wrong with the game that it was hard even to finish it.

It can be entertaining and the idea of what it tries to do with the general plot of the game is actually cool, but I found the execution to be awful: bad voice acting direction, cringy dialogue, needless filler killing the momentum of the story, bad technical issues including seemingly missing textures and low quality 2D backgrounds in key moments, poor side quest design, annoying menus, overcomplicated weapon upgrade system, clunky navigation of lineal levels...

Good soundtrack and combat though.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
GOAT? It's not even in my top 10. Especially that tacky ending chapter crap doesn't deserve any love in the world.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, game of the generation for sure.

For me, FFVIIR has the best battle system ever created.

Bloodborne and Sekiro are both in the conversation for GOTG for me, among some other games, but they did not have the emotional impact of FFVIIR, and that's important to me.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
The fact it's unfinished (+ it being a remake) just leaves us wanting more.

It's still the best single player FF since X though.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It never was. It's a pretty nice game but it's not even a GOTY consideration let alone GOAT.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
its a great game.

my GOATs are games like red dead 2, witcher 3, horizon 3 . I would say ff7r is a notch below them, but still one of the best, sure.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
No the character writing annoyed me too much for that. I found it a decent game but poor remake which what I always expected

I didn't actually finish oit though, I'll probably wait for the PC version and then play through it again

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
In my top 10 gotg for sure .. and my goty for this year ..
Wish it had better dungeon desgin and exploration hope they can work this out in part 2

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, really enjoyed it. Despite the lack of polish in some of the level visuals, it has a lot of character.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Pros: Great gameplay, god-tier music, good graphics (mostly), some sections of the game were my best experiences this gen.

Cons: Padding, average dialogue in places, awful last two chapters and ending, fighting fate stuff was not necessary at all.

To be honest my favourite Final Fantasy this gen was FF12: Zodiac Age.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why "still", I know the pandemic is changing the flow of time but it's been less than a year lol

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I love the game. It's my GotG and can't wait for the next part. Love the Characters, love the music familiar but felt new. The changes to the story don't bother be at all.

I still have the hard mode to play and I plan to do that Christmas week as I plan to take that week off.

I was waiting to see if there were PS5 upgrades but there are none as far as I can tell.

If there is a PS5/PC definitive edition it might be announced at the Game Awards for April. I may hold off again and see.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
For me - yes it was. The battle system seemed to hit a sweet spot that Square have been trying to get to for more than a decade. I think experiencing the game in hard mode is the real triumph when it comes to this game. The music, seeing all those environments and characters come to life in an event better looking way than Advent Children - it was magic.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Imo there were a few better jrpgs this gen but it was still pretty awesome. Huge bounce back from the flaccid FF15.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it more than I thought they would. Wish they toned that ending down a bit... a lot, but I really enjoyed it.

One of my favorite games of the gen, sure, mostly out of subverting my expectations of it. The best, nah. I might give that to Bloodborne. That game took over my thoughts for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
It ended up being one of my top 5 FF games and reinvigorated my love for the franchise. Probably in my top 10 for the gen.

I'd rank REmake 2, TLoU2 and Bloodborne ahead of it in terms of AAA games though. Probably a fair few indies I'd above it too.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Still? It never was. It's a mediocre game with a nice soundtrack.

S-E shouldn't have tried to make a full game out of this. Loved the original but this is 7/10.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Nah. Honestly. The padding killed it for me. But I still enjoyed the canonical parts and the extra context for Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie wasn't too bad.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My expectations were so low I already hated the game before I played it. When it was over I couldn't stop telling friends they had to play it

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Game doesn't even make the list for me.

It was okay and I enjoyed the nostalgia trip, but I heavily disliked the combat, felt it was waaayy too linear and w/o interesting enough locations to make up for it, and every time the game veered off into the stupid whispers stuff it would take me out of the moment. The skyboxes were so awful, too. Some really pretty moments and settings ruined by them.
I'll keep playing the series cuz I do love FF7 and I wanna see where they take things, but the remake in no way makes it on my favorite games list.

Gotg (and goat) for me is Nier:Automata.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Definitively not. More like one of the biggest letdowns. It had sometimes nice visuals and a nice score but Story and gameplay was a mess for me.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Amazing until you left Shinra building, afterwards...
tenor.gif

Pretty much where I'm at. I didn't mind the padding, the shitty side quests or the story changes. I was so endeared by the love and attention to detail that was put into recreating the world that I loved so much when I was younger. Even the battle system was a blast and I didn't expect that at all because I prefer turn-based battle systems for games with party members.

When the game finally unlocked at midnight, I started it and let the prelude run for 20 or 30 minutes because it brought back so many memories. It was so beautiful and I couldn't believe it was a real thing that I was going to play. I was about to cry real tears of joy.

Flash forward ~60 in-game hours later. I got to the Shinra building, finished that last Hojo dungeon that just wouldn't fucking end, but still enjoyed the whole thing very much. Same for two boss battles at the end. I couldn't wait to finish the game and immediately start another playthrough and go for the platinum. I was so ready for it.

And then it all came crashing down with the last two chapters. I couldn't believe what the fuck was happening and I was sooo not into it, into any of it.
I felt deceived because I didn't sign up for any of this Kingdom Hearts anime horseshit when the game was revealed back in 2015 or when it was revealed again in 2019.

And just to be perfectly clear, I don't mind changes to the story or a new spin on it. That's all fine with me. While I'm a big fan of the original game, there's no reason not to change things up with this new opportunity.
But the way it was done and presented, fighting the literal embodiment of fate and all that very dumb shit that is in no way as clever as some make it out to be, with a recreation of the Advent Children fight between Cloud and Sephiroth at the end, which wasn't earned at all. No thanks.

Needless to say I was heartbroken when I finished it and haven't touched the game since then.

I really, really wish they would've been upfront about the direction they were going to take this because I would've set my expectations accordingly.
Instead it's probably the biggest disappointment of the generation for me.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was very average as a huge fan of the original. Yakuza & Trails of Cold Steel IV were both better jRPGs for me that released this year.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Never was, put me in the camp that the plot stuff they added was trash and damages the overall story significantly

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. If someone had told me the combat system was going to be the best part, I would have laughed, but it's true.

1. Doesn't even have one decently written side quest in its entirety. NOT ONE.
2. It's a series of hallways, corridors, and trash interspersed by forced walking segments.
3. WHISPERS garbage
4. GHOSTS ultra garbage
5. Motorcycle cartoon villain garbage
6. Sephiroth acting like a fucking fangirl instead of a villain.
7. The FATES are incredibly fucking stupid.

Ugh. I doubt I'll even be playing the rest of these entirely mediocre games, which is thankful, because I have a decade to do other things.