• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
One if my favorite games. It really brought back all of the magic from when I was a kid and the battle system is amazing. It's not a perfect game but it's a damn fun one.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
It never was, it's a marked downgrade from the original in almost every way and doesn't really stand up as a great game by itself like the Resident Evil 2 remake does.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Solid 8 out of 10 for me. Worth playing, but as said the pacing at parts kinda hampers what could've been a more enjoyable experience.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I enjoyed it a lot (like an 8.5/10 I'd say) but it's nowhere near the best games of this gen. Bloodborne, RE2, Evil Within 2, Alien Isolation, TLOU2, Sekiro, Dark Souls 3, Soulcalibur VI, Apex Legends, Persona 5, Monster Hunter World, Hades, Undertale, Vermintide 2... so many good games this gen.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah, it's an enticing and fun revival of FFVII that's worth a play but it's not going to stand out to me as a top tier game.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
Best FF combat system ever so yeah I'm pretty happy with it. It's never too long before I think about playing it again. Just wished SE would have added a boss rush mode.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It being a remake kinda hurts it for me. I've already known the story beats, even with the twists.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Yeah, one of the best for me still. So glad that they did what they did rather than do a straight remake. Makes me much more excited for the future installments, honestly. The game has flaws (pacing, mostly), but it was so enjoyable as a whole that it is certainly a top 10 game of the generation, maybe even top 5 though I'd have to really think about what all I've played lol

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think FF7R did a lot of things really, really well. The combat gameplay that I was so worried about? Well, not only was it not bad, but it was genuinely great. The characterization of the primary cast? Another huge win. Nearly every character was absolutely perfect (though I do think Tifa's character took a bit of a hit).

However, that is still a game with a lot of problems. For starters, some of the best story beats were mangled in the remake. I don't mind the crazy nonsense they added too much (for the most part), as it made things interesting for the people who had already played the PS version of FF7, but they really ruined some of my favorite scenes from the original (especially the scene where you get to the top of the Shinra building, what a mess). I also think the soundtrack had some missteps (though it also has a number of high points).

In general, it definitely isn't in the conversation for me when it comes to GOATs. Though I still think it was an enjoyable game.

Last edited:

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Never was or will be. Its a fun ride but has problems all over the place.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It never was, it's a marked downgrade from the original in almost every way

Bruh

DgVeZYRVAAEaSWS.jpg

092fe1c2-38dc-449f-920b-4ea558dc6a39-18_event_cloud.jpg

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not GOTG-tier for me. It was a great game, but it would have been even better if they'd cut about ten hours of tedious busywork out of it. I did like it a lot, though. Way more than I expected to, not really being a fan of FFVII at all.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Definitely. It was one of the few games to really excite and impress me in a long time. And it also really reinvigorated my love for JRPGs. It's certainly my GOTY so far.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yep! It's my third favourite game this gen behind The Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest XI. I didn't feel the story was padded, because everything that was added, added something to the story for me. The one exception is Hojo's Lab which is just pointless.

That said, I've barely played any Sony 1st party this gen, or RDR2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
hhn.gif

Do an updated version that tones down Jessie's annoying bullshit, adds actually meaningful content in place of all the obvious time-wasting filler, and completely removes all the sub-Kingdom-Hearts-level nonsense from the endgame, and maybe it'd fit the bill for top 20.

Brunz95

Jun 3, 2018
Amazing game for me really really enjoyed it. My GOTY so far with TLoU2.

Good to hear that Part 2 is in full production, so hopefully my 2022 we will see it! Or am i being too unrealistic to expect 2 mainline FF games in the same year?

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'd say it's one of the best games this gen, I don't know that it's as good as top 10 but it was a crazy good game and I'd have it in the top 20-30, I guess.

"GOAT of the gen" is a really weird phrase by the way, you can just use the word "Greatest", it's okay, it's hyperbolic enough as it is.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah absolutely...I wish I could forget playing it for the first time and do it again.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
it's a good game, one of the more enjoyable games I played this year, but that's it really. I think for Final Fantasy, XIV is a much better experience for me and as far as JRPGs go there's been a number of excellent games this gen I enjoyed more like Dragon Quest XI or NieR Automata.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I did enjoy it for what it is, but personally don't find it close to being the GOAT. Has a great soundtrack and has a top-notch battle system.

But felt it was held back by the amount of padding in the game, for what is supposed to be only part 1 of the remake. It was a especially jarring with the addition of...

The haunted train yard chapter.

My GOAT JRPG would most definitely go to P5R. I'm just hoping the issues are resolved in part 2.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'm reaaaaally excited for the next gen version. Partly because of the graphical upgrades but also because of them potential for new side content. The paltry side content is basically the only thing keeping this below XII in my personal ranking atm

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games this year if not the best for the gameplay alone, but no not one of the GOATs. Maybe if it had a complete story.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reaaaaally excited for the next gen version. Partly because of the graphical upgrades but also because of them potential for new side content. The paltry side content is basically the only thing keeping this below XII in my personal ranking atm

How about a cactuar costume for cloud instead? That'll be $70 please.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Not even close but it never had a chance with the game being divided in who knows how many parts and all the compromises that entails gameplay and storywise.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very enjoyable game. Maybe somewhere in my top 20 for the gen.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Easily yes.

Amazing job. Exceeded my expectations despite them cooking and growing for over a decade. Combat struck the perfect balance between menu and real time. It's much more than a graphical revamp - it restructured the gameplay to suit modern times. It kept the charming quirky details - bike slashing, battling a possessed house, squat competitions and even the cross dressing, and went to town with it instead of minimizing or downplaying them.

I can't wait for a next-gen continuation with more open ended level design. But it'll remain the crown jewel of last gen for me.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. So much heart and soul in the characters, which they nailed nearly flawlessly. Combat system was more fun than any other thing this generation. Production values off the charts.

I see a lot of people complaining about pacing but I almost never see any of these critiques(except returning to the sewers, would have been better to get some better side quests instead of that). But I'm placing last of us 2 right now and despite it's polish it moves at a snail's pace.

I think the ending fights are better appreciated when you realize that it's Sephiroth and Jenova showing you visions of the future and your fighting in a spiritual (Lifestream) sort of realm.The game says Sephiroth is showing you the world "7 seconds before the end".

I'm so excited to see what's next for avalanche and crew.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Just behind God of War and TLoU2.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played through a few of the bigger games of the generation like Horizon Zero Dawn or Ghost of Tsushima yet but from what I have played the past 7 years on PS4/X1 it is easily in my top five. I went in having low expectations for the game but it blew me away and I hope it gets some sort of PS5 upgrade so then I can play through it again.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a good foundation there, but FF7R just sucks at story pacing. Once the whole series is completed, I hope some enterprising fan goes back and edits the hell out of it. You don't throw in a 2 hour trash dungeon under the premise of generating "combat data" to open a door in the middle of your goddamn climax for crying out loud.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It was fun for what it was, but I can't see anybody seriously putting that game in the same discussion as God of War PS4, TLOU 2, Witcher 3, or Bloodborne.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Absolutely, I was just chipping away at my hard difficulty run. Even now that 12 year old in me grins from ear to ear while playing it.