• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is FedEx stealing consoles?

• FedEx is definitely stealing that shit.

Votes: 431 34.0%
  • Other people are following the trucks and stealing them.

Votes: 112 8.8%
  • The packages are still enroute due to computer glitches. Or FedEx can't handle the output.

Votes: 172 13.6%
  • You're just impatient. The console will show up.

Votes: 343 27.1%
  • I bet your PS5 is on eBay for $1,100.

Votes: 210 16.6%

• Total voters

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't know about stealing, but my PS5 package from FedEx was fucked up when I got it.

C8PzATn.jpg
The racoon was tackled by security as he breached the box.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf, I would happily be a delivery driver for more than double my current wages... That can't be right

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
As somebody who worked at FedEx, this is a really simple story.

At FedEx and UPS, as soon as November comes along they start a hiring spree to help them manage "peak".

Most drivers at FedEx specifically are actually individual contractors who just own their one route or they own several.

A lot of these contractors are so overwhelmed this time of year that they will hire literally anybody, with the only job requirement being a clean license.

Now your standard driver, somebody who works year round isn't going to risk the massive week to week paychecks over a 500 dollar machine.

The problem comes when a company hires about 15-20 new people and throws them into a truck with very little introduction or vetting process. That's when packages get stolen because the burnout rate for these seasonal peak time drivers is over 80 percent.

Most of them won't work past their first day and I've seen some who just show up to try and get a new stuff for themselves.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
UPS delivery is union and they make 35+ and hour and you get all kinds of overtime (time and a half) this time of year. It's a hard job, but it pays well.

Even with the pay increase this year, my added supplements and a extra class that I'm teaching, I'm still making like 54K a year teaching. And of course, paid overtime isn't a concept in education.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

At FedEx and UPS, as soon as November comes along they start a hiring spree to help them manage "peak".

Most drivers at FedEx specifically are actually individual contractors who just own their one route or they own several.

A lot of these contractors are so overwhelmed this time of year that they will hire literally anybody, with the only job requirement being a clean license.

Now your standard driver, somebody who works year round isn't going to risk the massive week to week paychecks over a 500 dollar machine.

The problem comes when a company hires about 15-20 new people and throws them into a truck with very little introduction or vetting process. That's when packages get stolen because the burnout rate for these seasonal peak time drivers is over 80 percent.

Most of them won't work past their first day and I've seen some who just show up to try and get a new stuff for themselves.
Basically this.

And also you have to remember that the only thing FedEx does is transport the shipment. So things like a shitty packaged box, a box that can't withstand the rigors of the FedEx sorting belts and a box that says what's inside are ALL responsibilities of the shipper. Also, when drivers leave packages at front doors, etc (and I know that some do some stupid shit like leaving packages in full visibility) that's also a request from the shipper and they are bound by contract to release packages like that as per shipper's request. So while it's possible that some idiot FedEx Ground driver might have stolen on or two boxes, most of the Express drivers won't risk their weekly 4 figure paychecks for a $500 console.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
You guys know rich people steal right? It's compulsive for a lot of people, you would be amazed how many people would rather have something for free than paying when they think nobody is watching.

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
People make 70K a year with FedEx? Shit. I need to change careers lol
Senior drivers and folks that work their asses off sure. Not saying you don't work hard, just saying this Fedex/UPS driving is 'easy money" mindset is absurd. I've known many drivers personally who are happy with their careers, but they're just that careers, decades of driving packages for a living.

SonicBoom

Mar 23, 2020
I ordered 2 PS5's. Both arrived at noon last week on PS5's launch day or so I thought.

The first order by Amazon was delivered via Amazon delivery truck, all the driver did was ring the bell & drove off. Luckily my mom was home at my condo and went downstairs to pick up the PS5 package. I was surprised they did not ask for a signature.

My other PS5 was ordered from Walmart and deviled via FedEx. When I checked the delivery status at work it said that it was delivered at 12:02 pm so I called my mom and said only one order came in.

When I got home from work after picking up Demons Souls from Best Buy around 7pm I only had one PS5 in my house ( the one from Amazon delivery) I was pissed and I though I was robbed by neighbors or by Fed Ex since they also didn't ask for a signature. Anyone in my condo could steal it, we have 6 apartments in each condo building and there are 5 separate buildings. Most devilries are dropped inside the entrance corridor, only the first door is open to anyone so the driver can drop off the package off or call each apartment to ask for a signature. The second door you need a key to get it unless you're buzzed in via each tenant from their apartment.

Anyhow, I was pissed that my PS5 was missing, I was about to call Fed Ex Customer Service but first I decided to go to the other 4 buildings in my condo complex to see if the driver delivered to the wrong building. (this has happened once before to me when Fed Ex delivered my PS3 power supply unit package from ebay) The first building I went into had a package inside as I rush in and check the shipping label I notice it has my name and my address, I was so relieved. Mission accomplished I found my other PS5 !!!. Thank goodness my neighbors aren't thiefs!!!

The Fed Ex driver must by lazy, blind or careless since my building is labeled C they delivered to building D. All 5 buildings are labeled A, B, C, D & E on the outside.

What boggles my mind why product over $300 or more doesn't require a signature. So stupid but what do I know. They probably don't want to re-deliver the package or deal with customers picking up packages from their pickup location.

Both packages were in mint condition in plain brown cardboard with no markings when delivered and was surprised they were delivered so early. Bravo to both companies on time speedy deliveries.

Last edited:

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Senior drivers and folks that work their asses off sure. Not saying you don't work hard, just saying this Fedex/UPS driving is 'easy money" mindset is absurd. I've known many drivers personally who are happy with their careers, but they're just that careers, decades of driving packages for a living.

Not down playing that at all, but I won't even touch 70K 20 years from now in my career lol.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say 100% drivers dealing shit, but reading the FedEx employees comments - I don't think that anymore. Yeah, if they are making decent wages up to $70k a year, no way they are risking it for a sale and it's not like it won't get reported.

Only situation I can think is a more elaborate scheme where the supervisor is in on it, etc.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

This makes sense.

As I said in some other threads, lately I've been seeing random ass people simply wearing an Amazon hat or polo untucked and driving small U-Haul trucks to deliver packages. It sucks and it's unfortunate but hopefully UPS and Fedex have systems in place to adequately track things down to find out who it was anytime there's a legit instance of theft.

From my experience anytime I've had a package stolen the delivery companies always pointed me to either the seller or my leasing office and would never help, but I may have not been escalating properly, so who knows. Opening a box to find an item has been swapped out though, is not something I've ever experienced.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
So my turn lol

FedEx delivery supposed to be today, but the package is still in Memphis, TN and I'm in Cali. I paid for the fastest shipping possible.

This isn't happening is it...

tenor.gif

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
We just got our second ps5 and this time it was through PlayStation direct which sent it through fedex. I was a bit worried because of the stories, but thankfully ours came in a box that doesn't give away what's inside and our delivery guy was very careful with the box.. at least when bringing it to our porch. PlayStation Direct sent it using overnight (shipping is free if you're a PS plus member) which is nice. Fingers crossed for there to be no big issues with this unit.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020

Well hot damn, this makes a ton of sense and I appreciate your insight!

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was delivered and doesn't even show it shipped from Walmart. I think it's just the perfect storm. Some theft, some left by mistake, some lost fr fr.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say 100% drivers dealing shit, but reading the FedEx employees comments - I don't think that anymore. Yeah, if they are making decent wages up to $70k a year, no way they are risking it for a sale and it's not like it won't get reported.

Only situation I can think is a more elaborate scheme where the supervisor is in on it, etc.

It's a lot simpler than that. Because of covid everything is being signed for by the drivers electronically. So basically I think if people are in apartment buildings/condos/have roommates/even neighbors, people swiping that shit.

Like it's pretty much all right here. This is across all delivery services too not just fedex.

That said it would also be very easy for a driver to mark as signed/dropped off with a person, when, you know, that didn't actually happen.

I'm guessing there are metrics at play and one complaint from someone isn't going to get them shitcanned.

Multiply that by thousands of drivers...

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
There are likely cases of people that work for these delivery companies stealing shit.

But by and large, most are being delivered and aren't having issues with theft I would imagine.
How is it overreacting, when there is a fucking fryer in the box that was supposed to be your PS 5?
Unless you received the air fryer, it's really dumb to get outraged about an outlier. If you are the outlier, let loose the rage of a thousand burning suns.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The guy who delivered mine said when he dropped it off "I've delivered 12 of these already today. That's a Playstation, huh?"

They know what they're hauling, and I have enough friends who worked at FedEx and UPS to know that some of them are definitely "disappearing" on purpose.

Nov 9, 2017
In my scenario, I blame Walmart for selling a bunch of PS5s when they knew they didn't actually have them in their possession yet.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Fwiw.

When my launch xbox one got killed by lightning, Microsoft sent me a loaner box direct from Redmond and it was via FedEx.

I took the day off, I had a doorbell cam. I was home all day, got the delivery notification and the driver never hit my street.

I called FedEx, they went through some long formal investigation, they spoke with Microsoft directly and figured it out between each other.

All I know is MS said I was not at fault and sent me a new box no questions asked or cost to me.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I got both my consoles on launch just fine, but a few days later had another large box from BestBuy delivered- the TVC Slave One figure. The box had been cut open across the entire top and one of the sides, shit arrived entirely open.

Someone saw it was a large Best Buy box right now and hoped to score. They're stealing shit, make no mistake.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Mine arrived, no shenanigans!

xm7xDrA.jpg

Holy shit, good luck to all that have had issues, I hope you get your consoles soon.

Fat Dad

Prophet of Regret
Nov 28, 2017
I got both my consoles on launch just fine, but a few days later had another large box from BestBuy delivered- the TVC Slave One figure. The box had been cut open across the entire top and one of the sides, shit arrived entirely open.

Someone saw it was a large Best Buy box right now and hoped to score. They're stealing shit, make no mistake.

wow

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This reminds me that when I got my PS5, the flap to open the console was open. Rather than tucked in with the security tape.

found that really odd but everything was there and untouched so I figure it was just slightly damage when put into the box for shipping.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone stole my wife's godiva chocolate advent calendar, also fedex... We ain't I to the advent part of it but chocolates sure. We did like funko pop halloween ones too. Like a day by day countdown of tiny presents.

I was home all day and I have a dog that freaks out at any deliveries.

Marked as delivered to front door by FedEx. And yeah nothing on the camera.

Hmmm

This was last week and they just sent another one no problems.

But I dunno, maybe drivers are just taking shit here and there.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me that when I got my PS5, the flap to open the console was open. Rather than tucked in with the security tape.

found that really odd but everything was there and untouched so I figure it was just slightly damage when put into the box for shipping.

My amazon series x was in a giant ass box all wrecked with almost zero packing material. They just cheaping out. System and xbox box itself totally fine thankfully.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
So after spending 20 minutes trying to actually talk to someone. I'm told there's an investigation and I'm gonna have a case manager call me ASAP. Shit was out for delivery Saturday but I'm told when the driver checked it wasn't on the truck, but then it was scanned Monday at the warehouse wherever that is.

This is just so frustrating, I knew I wasn't getting it Day 1 but now it feels like I'm gonna have to get lucky to even get it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I had "Scheduled Delivery" from Nov 10th through Nov 15th, without my Xbox Series X ever delivering. On the 11th, tracking showed that it was put on a truck but it never delivered, and every other day it just showed as Scanned At Facility. After calling every day from Thursday-Saturday, I was able to have Microsoft (who I bought it from) contact FedEx directly to allow me to pick it up at the holding facility.

It wouldn't have been a big deal but I work in the field some days, and requested to work 100% at home for subsequent days - so I didn't have a $550 device sitting on my doorstep all day.

My Playstation 5 was scheduled for delivery on Friday November 13th, and didn't deliver. I wasn't going through that shit again, so I contacted Target to call FedEx to allow me to pick it up - and was able to do so that next day.

ThePunisher

Oct 27, 2017
My Xbox Series X 100% got stolen from FedEx. All of a sudden the tracking just went to delivery date pending and the FedEx folks said they couldn't find it anywhere. Multiple reports of this happening from the same FedEx hub in Maryland, so something is going on.

I just spoke to Target customer support and was informed that they have received so many cases of Xboxs and Playstations going missing during shipment that they are planning on sending out a notification to those affected to try and make the situation right.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Speaking of FedEx my ps5 copy of miles Morales was supposed to be here yesterday, then got delayed to delivery today last minute. Now here it is the end of day and the last recorded activity of my shipment was several states away the same as last night. 🤷

StormSolus

Oct 30, 2017
An update on mine after being delivered to the wrong address, with the recipient claiming never to have received it. FedEx called this evening and said the police were able to retrieve it from the location, unopened and everything. Just went and picked it up. So for me it seems to have worked out, thankfully, at least from the delivery side of things.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
An update on mine after being delivered to the wrong address, with the recipient claiming never to have received it. FedEx called this evening and said the police were able to retrieve it from the location, unopened and everything. Just went and picked it up. So for me it seems to have worked out, thankfully, at least from the delivery side of things.

Wow that's nuts, I didn't think the police could intervene in a situation like that.

So glad you got your console!

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
i mean there have been employees at fedex who have stolen shit before so for many people it is a legitimate concern, and highly possible given the turnaround on ps5's, (which could get fixed if ebay would actually punish scalpers of set it to where they can't sell something for more than the retail amount for it's release month but they won't) and with several companies not selling any stock till black friday for some godforsaken reason, PS5's getting stolen is a legitimate concern
Why would eBay punish resellers when they make more off them than retailers did on PS5s? They have a promo this weekend, no fees selling consoles.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I was able to get the PS5 bundle from GameStop a few days ago. Shipped Friday, expected delivery is Monday but I'm going to be at work all day. I have the option to send it to a local Walgreens or FedEx location but for some reason that makes me even more nervous than it just sitting on my stoop. We have stuff delivered all the time of all sizes, shapes, and values, and have never had a problem in our neighborhood. I dunno, with everything going on I really just don't know what to expect. Fingers crossed for a smooth delivery. Shipping page says signature required but the covid policy seems to negate that in favor of contactless, meaning they would just leave it without a signature. I'm fine with that since I won't be home I guess.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
My Series X replacement is stuck in El Paso Texas since the 18th. I have no idea what is going on. I don't know if I should call MSFT or not. Since they are the ones sending the replacement system.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Why would eBay punish resellers when they make more off them than retailers did on PS5s? They have a promo this weekend, no fees selling consoles.
I don't know maybe because a person selling 9 ps5's at $1500 and taking advantage of people who were unable to get them because of terrible online website traffic, is wrong and just take advantage of people who just want a console for themselves or their children now have to deal with these clearly ludicrous prices because this scalper managed to get more than what was allowed to be bought from these online stores that had set a 1 per customer setting on these items. Maybe instead allowing these people to take advantage of people just trying to get a single item you punish them for doing it or prevent them from doing it atleast for a while just a thought. and the continue allowing of such tactics might lead to another instance like the hand sanitizer incident earlier this year

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Interesting... I would usually think this is insane, but I got a fedex shipment of a PS5 through Target sent to an old address by accident. Apparently they delivered it to the main office and then it disappeared. Luckily Target saw that I tried to change the address multiple times before it shipped so they gave me a full refund

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I don't know maybe because a person selling 9 ps5's at $1500 and taking advantage of people who were unable to get them because of terrible online website traffic, is wrong and just take advantage of people who just want a console for themselves or their children now have to deal with these clearly ludicrous prices because this scalper managed to get more than what was allowed to be bought from these online stores that had set a 1 per customer setting on these items. Maybe instead allowing these people to take advantage of people just trying to get a single item you punish them for doing it or prevent them from doing it atleast for a while just a thought. and the continue allowing of such tactics might lead to another instance like the hand sanitizer incident earlier this year
They did clamp down on price gouging for essential items early in the year, but you are saying that they should place limits on selling an entertainment product because people find it morally wrong. Blame can be put on retailers for allowing someone to buy more than one, at the same time it was not hard to get ten of these through all the different retailers legitimately.