• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
24ee40d7cc08d164bee3dab438b4cada89268adc.jpg

The last Far Cry game I played was 3 way back on the Xbox 360.

Is Far Cry 5 worth a playthrough? I'm not really the type to 100% games, so I would only do the main story and maybe some of the side stuff if I found it engaging.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Play 4 instead. The main story in this one is just awful and the progression system worse than before.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Play 4 instead. The main story in this one is just awful and the progression system worse than before.

I find the setting of 4 really boring. I watched some videos of it when it came out and it didn't interest me at all.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
It's certainly the most refined Far Cry experience yet, but I found 2 to be the absolute pinnacle of the series. It became very 'Ubisoft' after that.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The best Far Cry gameplay and design. I played it twice. Far Cry 4 has a better story though.

Oct 27, 2017
5 is the best.

The game is designed in a way where you do what you want and still progress. No more will you feel forced to progress the story when you just want to explore and do side mission.

The combat is the best it has ever been and it feels really tight. The guns have bullet drop mechanics (kind of like a more arcade Battlefield) so the enemies feel less "terminatory".

Speaking of side missions, they are way less repetitive now and they are more indepth. The way you find them is that you just explore and find them by seeing someone who tells you about them or by stumbling upon them. There are also no more towers and you are not forced to hunt to upgrade your abilities. You get skill points that you use to get what you want easily. Map is very varied and very detailed so it is nice to explore. If you like lore there is plenty of that and the music is really awesome.

Best part about the game is that side missions will give you rewards like guns, outfits and cool vehicles so they feel really rewarding to do. Speaking of vehicles, you have way more unique ones in this game like weaponized semi truck or even planes and helicopters.

The game reminds me a bit of RDR with it's neo western vibes and the exploration.

Only issue the game has is the kidnapping mechanic where the game kidnapps you and puts you in a main story mission when you fill the heat meter up. The story is also a bit divisive.

Last edited:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. It's a really wonderful game. Also, New Dawn is just as good. While it's story isn't as gripping, the gameplay adjustments made and how you level up things are wonderful.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The last Far Cry game I played was 3 way back on the Xbox 360.

Is Far Cry 5 worth a playthrough? I'm not really the type to 100% games, so I would only do the main story and maybe some of the side stuff if I found it engaging.

It's the weakest since FC1 for me... but still i did not regret playing through it.
I would however recommend playing Far Cry Primal instead.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely. especially the price it goes for now (though i assume it still goes for $60 USD if you're too lazy to dig for a deal)

i have my qualms with it as a hardcore FC fan but still a solid 8/10 game. then move on to New Dawn if you've had fun enough

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The base gameplay loop is good, the light RPG aspects made it feel closer to a Bethesda game than I was expecting.

The plot is very bad though, so definitely don't play it for that. If you want a big ass open world FPS to throw yourself into though it's not a bad pick. I'd say that 2 is still better overall though (on PC).

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely. especially the price it goes for now (though i assume it still goes for $60 USD if you're too lazy to dig for a deal)

i have my qualms with it as a hardcore FC fan but still a solid 8/10 game. then move on to New Dawn if you've had fun enough
My plan was to pick up a used copy for somewhere between $15-20.
Gonna scope in here to say the settings sadly don't impact the level design as much as you'd hope. 4 is the better game, regrettably.

It's not that I disliked the level design of 4, I just find the setting way less visually appealing than 5's.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Gunplay is great so it's performance. The game is a lot less survival and more arcade which is good.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It was my game of the year for 2018. Loved everything about it. Would highly recommend it. :)

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
The story quest gating and general gameplay loop sucks. The more open structure isn't executed well at all. The story and characters are terrible.

The visuals are incredible though. It's still Far Cry at the end of the day. Just know that 4 is much better (and even 3 is).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
No, not really.

The story is terrible and the way the campaign is set up is annoying as all hell. The decent gameplay is no where good enough to warrant the rest of the game.

Nov 14, 2017
5 is the best.

The game is designed in a way where you do what you want and still progress. No more will you feel forced to progress the story when you just want to explore and do side mission.

The combat is the best it has ever been and it feels really tight. The guns have bullet drop mechanics (kind of like a more arcade Battlefield) so the enemies feel less "terminatory".

Speaking of side missions, they are way less repetitive now and they are more indepth. The way you find them is that you just explore and find them by seeing someone who tells you about them or by stumbling upon them. There are also no more towers and you are not forced to hunt to upgrade your abilities. You get skill points that you use to get what you want easily. Map is very varied and very detailed so it is nice to explore. If you like lore there is plenty of that and the music is really awesome.

Best part about the game is that side missions will give you rewards like guns, outfits and cool vehicles so they feel really rewarding to do. Speaking of vehicles, you have way more unique ones in this game like weaponized semi truck or even planes and helicopters.

The game reminds me a bit of RDR with it's neo western vibes and the exploration.

Only issue the game has is the kidnapping mechanic where the game kidnapps you and puts you in a main story mission when you fill the heat meter up. The story is also a bit divisive.
This, I'm currently playing through it, and I agree with this 100%.

It has been really fun tbh.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Recent games have been so similar toneach other that you can choose based on the setting alone. If you enjoyed 3, its pretty much the same with a different skin.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If you like Far Cry... maybe.

I finished it all the way through and thought it had a lot of potential but mostly boiled down to serviceable gameplay propping up a severely undercooked story and weird design philosophy. The northern section (Jacob) was the most interesting and I genuinely enjoyed it, but it wasnt enough to lift the rest of the game.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
My plan was to pick up a used copy for somewhere between $15-20.

It's not that I disliked the level design of 4, I just find the setting way less visually appealing than 5's.
The open word is better in 5. 3 and 4 are clearly held back by 360/PS3 level hardware (everything feels too sectioned off). 5 has waaaay more open space/sight lines and is absolutely beautiful.

The world/music/atmosphere is the best thing 5 has going for it:

Story absolutely shits the bed though.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I'd say so, I enjoyed the story and the gameplay loop had me hooked until the end, part of the charm was the setting and music though, so mileage may vary based on how you feel about that.

There are parts of the story that get pretty dumb but in general I loved the feeling of restoring the community and taking everything back from the cult.
I haven't liked any FC other than 2 and 5, so if you're into the standard tropical/jungle vibes of the series then it might not be for you.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Mechanically it's fine, but it's such a damn annoying game. The manner with which they constantly get in the way of your exploration with story missions is surreal. I also don't remember a single specific location in the game, and I've got a Platinum trophy out of it.

The ending is pretty neat, though.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Did you enjoy Far Cry 3, and what did you like about it?

Far Cry 5 has a pretty boring story, and hunting is not as interesting. But the overall gameplay is improved, the missions are more varied, and the world is much more interesting. If you played through FC3 to have fun and wreck shit, then I'd definitely recommend FC5. If you played through FC3 for the story and because Vaas was a compelling villain, then maybe try FC4.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it quite a bit. I finished it, so that says something to me. lol. Wasnt able to work through New Dawn though. May get back to that one eventually.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
I found it very frustrating. Human companions never shut up and I actually had one light themselves on fire while I was checking out a campsite. I only finished the first boss fight due to a glitch. I returned it to Gamestop thanks to their extended holiday return period, and told my wife that she did well, but that it wasn't worth the frustration.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Best kidnapping simulator of the decade.

Honestly, though, I found it the least impacting game in the series. I expected 100% of what they game threw at me by playing the previous games + Primal. It is a fun, if bloated, experience, but nothing groundbreaking. I was bored at some moments, but then again open world Ubisoft will always get me bored at some point.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
5 is the best.

It's amazing how one man's freedom (you) is another's frustration with lack of focus (me). Far Cry 5 is easily my least favorite in the series. The story sucked, game lacked focus, missions were repetitive, setting wasn't great, etc. Red Dead II is a masterpiece. Far Cry 5 is mediocre.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A lot of fun, good story, great cast of good guys and even the bad guys are fun and interesting. One is even sympathetic.
Amazing soundtrack too. I suggest finding all 3 soundtracks on Spotify.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's definitely not a bad game but somewhat generic Ubisoft open world experience. Had fun playing FC5 as a co-op open world sandbox. Story bits were a bit tedious though.

Oct 31, 2017
It is far and away the worst of the main games in the series. From the lack of polish, bland setting and mediocre AI, a big step back.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played and loved 3, but just couldn't get into 4. So I was nervous going into 5, thinking Far Cry may have been a one hit wonder for me.

But I loved it. I absolutely loved 5. Can't recommend it enough.