• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hyperbole? We had Anthem earlier this year. Control prior to patches had performance issues.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In recent memory, I would say yes. Trophy glitches, textures, and sound have all had problems in the game whenever I've played.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I didn't realize it was still cool to endlessly shit on this game.

On topic: IGN's GOTY 2019 ran at like 10 FPS on PS4 in spots

Control at launch was a fucking mess but the severe frame drops were relatively concentrated. I found Fallen Order's relentless poor performance and jank more exhausting and irritating.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bethesda gets a ton of shit for their lack of polish. There aren't really that many people, from what I've seen, saying Fallen Order is a bad game because of its issues. I loved it, but I can love a game and still complain about it being rushed out to coincide with other Star Wars media releases when it clearly needed more time to clean up its technical problems.
I disagree they get a ton of shit. Bethesda doesn't get half the shit they deserve for their games. Hell they rereleased skyrim a hundred times and never bothered fixing any of its issues.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It was a new team within Respawn, not the ones that made Titanfall (they are working on Apex) so I imagine it was a bunch of mainly B-teamers stepping up to create this new AAA title. The game feels like a proof of concept, like a bunch of college students out to prove that they can create a single-player Star Wars game. Hopefully now that they've proven they can at least make a competent game they will be able to make something truly fantastic in the follow up (Mandalorian or Republic Commando 2 plz)

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
After playing Fallen Order on pc and then seeing the reaction online it seems like we almost played entirely different games sometimes. I ran into exactly 1 issue I would consider a bug and past that the game ran nearly perfect for me and I'm not even on a super high end pc (still using a 980). My wife is playing it on a PS4 Pro and it seems like it's been fine on there too. I loved God Of War but I actually enjoyed Fallen Order (and its combat) more.

Also calling Fallen Order the most unpolished games ever released is pretty hyperbolic. I know it's fresh in your memory but bethesda basically owns the unpolished AAA space as a genre to themselves. I see people calling out Anthem but I think theres a difference between unpolished and just not a great game. I felt like Anthem had plenty of polish it just wasn't very good.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Order is absolutely ambitious. Multiple planets which all, outside of the stormtroopers have completely different assets. Big unique set pieces for each planet. Non repeating boss fights. Balancing linear design with a focus on metroidvania inspired exploration ad a combat sandbox inspired by Dark Souls that also invokes the feeling of whenever a character in the films uses a lightsaber, Etc. And ofc, not being an iteration of something but being a game built by a new team at a studio not at all known for that type of title, it's very ambitious.
Sorry no. It's absolutely unambitious. I mean maybe for an EA SW effort it's good, but that's it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even the most unpolished AAA game that came out last month.

It has a lot of rough edges, but come the fuck on.

Oct 27, 2017
For a game of it's type, that is a single player story driven experience, I would say it's up there yeah. It has a lot of issues with that and I'm not quite sure how it got such high praise in general. The lack of polish and rather boring traversal stuff, which incidentally also seemed more like filler than anything engaging or challenging were pretty big detractors.

You can tell it was a passion project and has some really strong ideas behind it, but I thought a lot of it was rather clunky and bland, both in design and execution. The combat was decent enough I guess, but even that felt fairly spotty sometimes and some of the encounter designs where a creature will just pop out of the ground literally rocketing you off the ledge with zero indication it was going to happen was just stupid. I also remember a couple of encounters in the game being clusterfucks because it's just multiple enemy types that you really can't easily outmaneuver or defend against all bum-rushing you at once, which is not great design in my opinion.

I think the poor performance issues impacted this game more though, since it relied on parry timing for the majority of its combat and counters, and there were multiple occasions where hitches or drops or other such nonsense prevented me from countering or other things like that. Not a big deal but certainly more noticeable than it would be in other games.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zero technical issues on PC but it's slightly unpolished in the sense of rough edges here and there.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I've been playing on my Xbox One X and haven't noticed anything too glaring so far. It's run pretty good for me. *fingers crossed*

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
"most unpolished..." "... ever".

Sigh. No. It's not the most unpolished ever. Not with Fallout 76 and Anthem within a single year, just to mention two recent games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesnt feel well optimized on modern consoles. Id love to see the game get some sort of series x enhancement to run at true 4k and 60 fps

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
It was a new team within Respawn, not the ones that made Titanfall (they are working on Apex) so I imagine it was a bunch of mainly B-teamers stepping up to create this new AAA title. The game feels like a proof of concept, like a bunch of college students out to prove that they can create a single-player Star Wars game. Hopefully now that they've proven they can at least make a competent game they will be able to make something truly fantastic in the follow up (Mandalorian or Republic Commando 2 plz)
Lol college students

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
The game feels like a proof of concept, like a bunch of college students out to prove that they can create a single-player Star Wars game.
giphy.gif

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clown post bro. I don't love the game, but this pretty disrespectful to the dev team. And just so you know, several of the key roles on the team are former senior devs from Santa Monica Studio (GoW III).

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I heard it is pretty bad on consoles (ps4)
I had a few bugs on pc, mostly monsters flying above the ground before landing and attacking me
and some crashes while loading the map

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where Fallout 76 exists I gotta say no but it has its bugs for sure.

OP
OP

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, as others pointed out, i never said it was the most unpolished game.
That being said, i dont understand why people with Pros are not having the same experience as me. Man, the wookie land is rough! Glitches and bugs are the norm there, and i have a internal HDD.
Dathomir i had so many enemies pop-in in front of me that is not even funny.
Failling inside the groud? 3 times i died because of that.
Also i thinks there's plenty to praise like the music, the art direction and level design

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Star Wars is the just the art style and story of the game. The gameplay elements and structure are very clearly based almost entirely on other games with very little to differentiate itself, to the point where it feels like a disjointed mish mash of "ideas" at some points. As has been explained umpteen times in the OT everything is derivative to some extent by now but Fallen Order is on another level.
Still don't agree. First, the Star Wars skin does matter. There's a whole feel to playing a Jedi with lightsaber combat and Jedi powers and interacting with a cute robot and exploring a variety of exotic planets. Setting absolutely matters, it's definitely at least part of why something like The Surge is supremely boring to me but Fallen Order was fun and exciting. As for the gameplay, of course it draws inspiration from a variety of games, that's normal, but you can say that about a lot of games, including darlings like God of War etc. and I think Fallen Order still did enough to have its own identity to give it the proper "Star Wars" flavour, particularly with how you used the Force powers. From combat to traversal to exploration, it really nailed that "playing a Jedi adventure" feeling. I don't know of any other game where I can do the things I do in Fallen Order, so for me, it's not derivative at all, even if it doesn't have one big massively innovative "mechanic" in it or whatever.

Fallen Order is absolutely ambitious. Multiple planets which all, outside of the stormtroopers have completely different assets. Big unique set pieces for each planet. Non repeating boss fights. Balancing linear design with a focus on metroidvania inspired exploration ad a combat sandbox inspired by Dark Souls that also invokes the feeling of whenever a character in the films uses a lightsaber, Etc. And ofc, not being an iteration of something but being a game built by a new team at a studio not at all known for that type of title, it's very ambitious.
Sorry no. It's absolutely unambitious. I mean maybe for an EA SW effort it's good, but that's it.
Do you mind actually elaborating/rebutting his points instead of just saying "nah"?

Can absolutely be platform dependent, lots of possible reasons why. Hard to elaborate in a short forum post (boarding a plane) but YES, VERY lol
Fair enough, thanks for the information! :)

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
While it had a lot of technical issues, I think Anthem wins by a mile. That game hard crashed and turned off my console 3 times. Not to mention it glitched out on the last mission and I ended up not seeing the ending when playing with friends. I did get the credits though lol

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, as others pointed out, i never said it was the most unpolished game.
That being said, i dont understand why people with Pros are not having the same experience as me. Man, the wookie land is rough! Glitches and bugs are the norm there, and i have a internal HDD.
Dathomir i had so many enemies pop-in in front of me that is not even funny.
Failling inside the groud? 3 times i died because of that.
Don't worry, you and I had the exact same issues on Pro. I believe you
Sharing these again from my playthrough on Pro and internal HDD.

Most glitchy AAA game that I played this year, for sure (and no, I didn't play Anthem)

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mind actually elaborating/rebutting his points instead of just saying "nah"?
Is it even necessary? Obviously CE's definition of ambition differs wildly from mine. The points CE made support my statement rather than refute it, the developers took alot of known gameplay loops and put them in their game. None of which were better than the games they were inspired from. They had a big art budget? Great, they have the backing of the biggest game publisher in the industry behind them, it is to be expected. Their pre release marketing was all about how they played these classic games and were inspired by them, which is fine. Ambitious it is not.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my main problem is the lack of in game cosmetics. its mostly lightsaber parts and ponchos. like they had almost no time to create anything worthwhile. being ea i can't help but think they were gonna add a bunch of lootboxes and dlc and cut them out last minute to not have any backlash.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Well I'm glad I played it on PC. I had a flawless experience and it ran really well.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I have been playing on PC and haven't ran into many issues.

The only thing that has really stood out to me is slight jank to the walk start-up animations.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just bought the One X bundle and finished it a couple days ago, it definitely feels like it needed more time for polish, the core is amazing, but there is a lot of stuff half done, you can feel the rush.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, and I don't understand why, but I had a bug maybe once or twice in my play through on a ps4 pro. I've beaten the game, did a ton of exploring, and never encountered anything described in the OP. It's weird how bugs can work like that

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Lol college students
Clown post bro. I don't love the game, but this pretty disrespectful to the dev team. And just so you know, several of the key roles on the team are former senior devs from Santa Monica Studio (GoW III).

So to clarify I mean that it came across as a group that wasn't going to reinvent the wheel so they just made a hodge-podge of all the hottest trends right now. Titanfall 1 and 2 were so creative and unique feeling so the next game from that studio being a mashup of all the latest trends was a little disappointing.

Overall a very enjoyable game despite some jank.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I haven't played it but have seen vidoes of some stuff people have encountered and there are many other games that came out recently that were way worse.

Look at Ghost Recon Breakpoint for example.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm having to play in stereo because the sound is a messed up. Dialogue isn't playing properly during cutscenes otherwise. Wtf with this game

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That's hyperbole for sure

Game is a complete fucking mess on base consoles, and people can give any excuses they want, far more ambitious games this gen have looked and ran better than Fallen Order.

This game has the worst texture pop in I've ever seen on Xbox One S. Literal 10 second wait times for textures to pop in some times. A complete joke.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yea lol it's a good game overall but it's pretty rough. I notice the ingame cutscenes start from a fixed point and your character and droid always gets pulled back awkwardly if he's facing other direction lol

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played on PS pro, had no issues on my play through. Great game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

this doesn´t matter, game was sold for full price and people have the right to expect a fully polished game, b- team or not.

maybe they should have sold it with a big sticker on front "made by b-team that want to prove they can make a big game" or what? this game is atrocious on the Pro when it comes to technical performance, surely not what i would have expected from a big profile Star Wars game but well, it is EA, when was the last polished EA release? they just want to have the games out of the door, doesn´t matter if the technical aspects are not up to par.

Jedi feels severely dated, like a 5 year old game and the leveldesign is from like 2010. it is derivative as it gets too, there are no own ideas in this game at all. this is what i consider a cookie cutter mass market game. still don´t know what people see in this Star Wars Tomb Raider game but to each their own.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
It's clearly unpolished, yes.
Another few months in the oven could have helped, I still had a pretty good time with it.