• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
How old is old? I'm 26 and use it a lot as if it were another forum, unmoderated, where I can shitpost and fight with strangers. To talk to other people I only use Whatsapp

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've had mine since when it was originally for college students, so it's become a place where I can be jealous of how much better my former classmates' lives are than mine lol. That and keeping up with family. I rarely use it though.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It's definitely not the hip/trendy social media hub anymore. Kids use Snapchat/Instagram/WhatsApp/Kik since adults are still broadly ignorant about them.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
agedistributionatthetopsocialnetworks.png

Old graph. Vine? lol

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal but pretty much every Gen Z'er I've heard talk about social media says that Facebook is what their parents use, while they prefer apps like Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, etc.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how Snapchat is used as a social media platform these days? Isn't it just another messenger app, except it it's especially good for nudey pictures?
Did they flesh it out into something more since 2013 (around when I first tried it)?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how Snapchat is used as a social media platform these days? Isn't it just another messenger app, except it it's especially good for nudey pictures?
Did they flesh it out into something more since 2013 (around when I first tried it)?
This?

My problem with all new social networks is that I just want to SAY WORDS IN A NONDIRECTED FASHION TO MY FRIENDS and then have my friends reply to me. Nothing else fucking has that basic feature and it is wildly annoying. I don't want to post a picture to talk about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Mainly just use it for work, the messenger is handy though I'll admit. Stuff like Snapchat and Instagram pretty much baffle me. For just browsing I stick with Twitter and this place here.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
i ran away from facebook in 2012 when all my aunts and uncles and friends' parents started appearing everywhere so yeah it is for old people.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I never used facebook but old people at work discussed today at work that facebook is only used by old people and younger people use instagram and twitter although I assume that actual young people use things that actual old people don't even know about.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably but I use it daily for my hobby groups, buy/sell groups and event pages. I don't use Instagram or anything, it's pointless to me.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I remember back when you had to have a .edu email address to join and your college being added was cause for celebration.

Facebook was the hit shit back in the mid 2000s

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped using all social media except for sharing photography on instagram
The only people i know who still use facebook are olds

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind that its full of old folk, which it is. It's full of shite is my problem with it. It doesn't seem to matter who you engage with or follow it's just wall to wall shite.

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't downloaded it yet but for people who more or less use facebook exclusively for events, they spun events out into a standalone app. Probably going to make the jump in the near future.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Every time I see a thread about Facebook on Era it feels like people are constantly try to one-up each other about how much they don't use it.

I still use it, mostly for memes and shitposting. There are also lots of good, active meme groups with young users (or at least on my late 20s-early 30s range.) "Leftbook" is a thing for a reason. If all you see are grandmas sharing Minions or right wing shit, then that's on you.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the usage between my friends (25~35) has increased lately. A lot of them were using only instagram. But yeah, old people use it a lot. And they are arriving to instagram...XD
Also... Facebook for events is still a thing for people here in Rio.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This?

My problem with all new social networks is that I just want to SAY WORDS IN A NONDIRECTED FASHION TO MY FRIENDS and then have my friends reply to me. Nothing else fucking has that basic feature and it is wildly annoying. I don't want to post a picture to talk about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
I'm in the same boat. Pretty much all my peers seem to have jumped to Instagram, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't want to post pictures all the time.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It was for old people the minute it stopped being a university centered site. Soon as grandma could add you to her friends and share pictures with you it was over.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I started using it again a few years back to post and share leftist propaganda and call out racist posts to counter the OVERWHELMING amount of racist posts I saw on there.

I managed to radicalise a few people and unfriended by others, I count it as a win!

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by my feed, it does seem like it's mostly for moms posting shit about their kids.

And I'm like, hey, I'm following YOU, not your fucking kids!

People share what's going on in their life. Most people who have kids- that's what is going on in their life. Not sure what you are expecting them to share.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I have a Facebook account still is due to my wife posting a lot of photos of my son on there, so I keep it around so I can see them. Otherwise, I would delete my account pretty quick. I hate Facebook.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. I was on facebook for a couple years and I came late to the party. I felt like a tool and couldn't take it anymore. It's so embarrassingly bad. When you post on facebook, you're shouting into a crowd of people and wanting someone to respond for you. That's not how healthy communication works. It's so unbelievably vain.

Of course, twitter is much the same, except twitter is a better platform for following creators I suppose. But if you're just shouting into the wind thinking you're clever, you're a vain idiot.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My personal experience shows that the generation that's <22-23 doesnt use it. It's a drop off too. I'm 24 and my friends use it barely. But there is a good portion of sub 23y.o. who don't use it

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
It's been for old people for the past ten years

Ever since they opened it to people who weren't college kids it's blown ass (and not in a good way).