• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is english your native language?

• Yes

Votes: 441 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 647 59.5%

• Total voters

Nigh7

Jun 7, 2020
Brazil
Portuguese is my native language as a Brazilian, i taught myself english so i could play games back in the 90's

Oct 30, 2017
English is my first. Family was quite multilingual growing up, but nobody ever really taught us.
Tried to rectify that with my own kids at least raising them bilingual.
It was interesting to hear from my son that he often feels English isn't his first language, despite using it more regularly and in everyday interactions. He says he tends to think to himself in Japanese, and he usually dreams in it as well.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Yes but no. My parents taught me English and their foreign language which doesnt have any written text for it so I lost my understanding of it. Plus very few people in the world speak it. So by end of elementary school english became the only native language I am comfortable talking in.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nein.

First exposure to English was a US import copy of Final Fantasy III.

Son of a submariner!

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
French here.

Struggled hard in English classes for many years, until one summer where i watched the Lords of Rings Trilogy long edition DVDs i was offered at christmas. I watched it first in french, as i always did before. But because i had nothing else to do afterwards, i watched the bonus discs. Bonus discs that where all in VOST. And by watching them, i realised that many scenes and dialogs sounded much better in english (especially Aragorn's speach before attacking the Black gate in the third movie). So once i was done with the bonuses, i rewatched the movies but this time in english with subtitles. And then i watched them with the actors commentaries. And then i watched them with the directors commentaries.

At the end of that month of Lord of the Rings marathon, spending hours and hours hearing people speak english, i was already much better at it. And then i started watching all my movies, tv shows and playing my games in english. A year later i didn't need the subtitles anymore.

May 26, 2018
Wow at the results! I came in expecting a big margin but the multicultural and international aspects of the site really do add up.

That kinda makes me warm and fuzzy :)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Love the poll results presently showing majority "no," makes me feel like the promise of this place being more open to different perspectives rings true. I am a native English speaker myself, however... and my only experience in other languages is a tiny bit of Korean (from my mom being Korean, but I grew up in an American conservative culture that suppressed it) and high school level French which has largely not been retained (it's been 15 years since I was in high school).

I should've taken Spanish in high school as it would've had far more practicality but I was so determined to be a hipster about it -- I had the choice of only Spanish and French and French was the far less popular pick, lol.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Swedish. Like many else here seems to have done, I consumed a lot of media in english and taught myself fairly early on.

Ne, kamarade.

That means "no, friend" in the Czech language.
Am learning and practicing English language from the age of 6, when I was a wee little lad. Elementary school teacher Bill, Cartoon Network, Viva, MTV, games.

I am using it in my line of work daily.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Bilingual, with (Uruguayan) Spanish being the other language

My dad grew up in an English-speaking household due to my grandma being American and (most of) my great-grandparents being Scottish or Irish, which he wanted to maintain so between that and my grandma I spoke a lot of English growing up as well (I did also attend English classes and all as a kid/teenager, but that was mostly to have a cert of proficiency more than anything)

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Not surprised at the results at all. The grammar of thread titles sometimes has me all....

giphy.gif

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Native English (UK) but also know Japanese which I use for about 4-5 hours daily.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bin, ma langue maternelle c le français du québec.
So, English is my second.
I can only speak and read very very few Japanese so it doesn't really count as a third... yet.

(For mods: "Well, my maternal language's French from Quebec")

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Ok those results are unexpected, it kinda makes clear how we use English as a bridge language that we all use to comunicate even if our native languages are diferent, that's cool.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Mitt modersmål är ärans och hjältarnas språk!
(Swedish)

Taught myself English playing Sierra's quest games.