• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is currently more popular: Ellie or Lara Croft?

• Lara Croft is more popular

Votes: 2,306 70.3%
  • Ellie is more popular

Votes: 181 5.5%
  • Lara Croft is more iconic, but Ellie surpassed her popularity

Votes: 578 17.6%
  • Ask me this after Part II

Votes: 216 6.6%

• Total voters

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Again I think you're conflating being recognized and being popular (liked). What happens in The Last of Us 2 doesn't actually matter to the question. Popularity is a fluctuating thing.

Superman is one of the most recognized characters in fiction. His symbol is one of the most recognized icons in the world. You can argue Superman is less popular than Iron-Man. He wasn't a decade ago, he might not be a decade from now, but that might be the case this year.
There is about to be 4 Super-Men in a huge DC crossover event on TV this year and Iron Man is dead

this argument is dumb, has the OP even been back in the thread or did he stir the shit and bounce.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That OP is ridiculous, you'd have to be a massive fanboy to even entertain the thought.
Even gamers don't really know about Ellie in general. TLOU, sure. The characters, no.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This is like asking who is more popular Avril Lavigne or Madonna. Actually you probably need someone even more obscure than Avril, maybe like Laura Shigihara vs Madonna.

Edit: Actually Laura Shigihara is probably still too popular to properly illustrate the absurdness in the comparison here. I'm not sure anyone exists that is unpopular enough who could fill in for Ellie in the ? vs Madonna comparison.

Last edited:

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Hell, I'm having trouble thinking of more than a handful of characters who are more popular than Lara Croft. There's Mario and there's Sonic, but it gets murky very quickly after that. Crash probably isn't, Master Chief probably isn't... maybe Link? Pac-Man?

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, when I compare the two solely from their recent outings, I think Ellie might be more popular. She is certainly a more interesting character. The problem is Ellie has less games and she shares the spotlight with Joel as to where Lara Croft stands on her own. The only way Ellie even has a chance is if you discount Lara's history and the general public. So it's really not up for debate. Tomb Raider is more iconic and more popular. I have to wonder if there would even be so much hype around the new trailer if Joel wasn't in it.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
MARoq0A.png

fc3AzSG.png

Let me know when Elliezade is a thing

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Hell, I'm having trouble thinking of more than a handful of characters who are more popular than Lara Croft. There's Mario and there's Sonic, but it gets murky very quickly after that. Crash probably isn't, Master Chief probably isn't... maybe Link? Pac-Man?
Most people don't even know that Link is not Zelda >_<

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say Peach is probably number 1 for women characters. Zelda and Lara for number 2 is debatable imo, mostly because a lot of people probably think Link is Zelda. After that a massive gap.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My grandma could tell you who Lara Croft is. All over magazine stands, toys, comics, multiple movies, etc.

She was THE gaming darling of the 90s. Ellie has been the main character of 1/6th of a game up to this point.

Lara is still gaming royalty.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Ellie has been playable in 1 game for a tiny spell and 1 DLC for said game (which I did not play but think was short also) and is playable in an upcoming game. Lara Croft is in, checks Wikipedia, um lots and what? 3 movies? Yeah being excited for TLoU Part II is one thing. Being overexcited and saying Ellie is Universally more popular than Lara Croft is quite another. My mother would have more chance of recognising Lara Croft over Ellie. Not saying she would but the chance would be much much higher. My niece I assume could recognise both but I think she watched that Swedish guy play TLoU on Youtube so can't say for sure.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
at some point you have to realize how ironic and funny it is to hear you say that sentence :D

not really.

So because you think I'm an Xbox fanboy I automatically live in a bubble?

please....dig through my post history and find me one example of that. If only you were in the XboxEra Discord you'd see I spend more time bagging Xbox than I do praising it.

you can be a fan of something without being a blind fanboy that refuses to accept reality and has a warped view of the world.

ninetiesgamer

May 10, 2018
i bought a Voodoo 1 card back in the day, firstly for Tomb Raider on PC, i've always been a PC gamer so i didn't know who Ellie was until i read this thread, not all gamer's use a PS4 to play TLOU, it's easily Lara Croft who is both more popular and Iconic by a country mile.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is more popular limited to who is more well known? While they often go hand in hand, I wouldn't necessarily say they're the same? Definition is listed as " liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people or by a particular person or group," so I could see more popular meaning a character that is more liked while being enjoyed by many people.

I'd say Ellie is a more liked character, but Croft is definitely the more well known of the two.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This thread just makes me want to say something bad about Ellie, please don't force me.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Lol what?? Lara's croft boobs are more iconic than this Ellie girl

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with the "Iconic vs.popular" argument some in Ellie's camp seem to be making, is using the word popular as a synonym for likable. While that's one of the possible definitions of the word popular (and not really the commonly used definition, which is used more as a combination of well-known and liked), if that's the point of this thread is, I need more on why we should be comparing Lara and Ellie at all. They aren't really related at all and at times can be designed to intentionally not be "liked" based on choices/characterization in their respective properties. I understand this is going down the rabbit hole of definition of the term, but I'm not sure there's a way to argue Ellie without going down some rabbit hole of semantics.

Moreover, by that metric, if there's a tiny game played by 100 people who universally love a character in it, does that character then become more "popular" than both Lara and Ellie based on percentage of people who played and "liked" the character? More semantics, but again, seems to be the place this argument resides.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even close. Even a huge part of people into games wouldn't reconize the Name "Ellie".

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The issue with the "Iconic vs.popular" argument some in Ellie's camp seem to be making, is using the word popular as a synonym for likable. While that's one of the possible definitions of the word popular (and not really the commonly used definition, which is used more as a combination of well-known and liked), if that's the point of this thread is, I need more on why we should be comparing Lara and Ellie at all. They aren't really related at all and at times can be designed to intentionally not be "liked" based on choices/characterization in their respective properties. I understand this is going down the rabbit hole of definition of the term, but I'm not sure there's a way to argue Ellie without going down some rabbit hole of semantics.

Moreover, by that metric, if there's a tiny game played by 100 people who universally love a character in it, does that character then become more "popular" than both Lara and Ellie based on percentage of people who played and "liked" the character? More semantics, but again, seems to be the place this argument resides.

Yes! You expressed this very well.
I think there's a huge open issue of what is the group that we're talking about? Resetera? Dedicated Gamers? All Gamers? Americans?