• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is currently more popular: Ellie or Lara Croft?

• Lara Croft is more popular

Votes: 2,306 70.3%
  • Ellie is more popular

Votes: 181 5.5%
  • Lara Croft is more iconic, but Ellie surpassed her popularity

Votes: 578 17.6%
  • Ask me this after Part II

Votes: 216 6.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know who Ellie was referring to. After looking it up, I probably should have known. But... no and it's not even close.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
How can Ellie be more popular if more people know who Lara Croft is?

Popularity is how liked a character is.

You could measure it by doing something like releasing a figurine of Lara Croft and Ellie at the same build quality, same price, with same level of advertising - the more popular character would sell more.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Over 1500 people will start a private Anti-Ellie Facebook group tonight... 😂

A simple question has some bringing their animals, moms, dads, grandparents, coworkers, a few kids from the playground back when they were six into this thread to validate Lara Croft's popularity.

'My imaginary friend even knows who's Lara Croft is' 😤

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Lmfao, no.

Ellie is a popular female character today but that's about it. She doesn't even come close to Lara Croft. So far, Ellie has been in one good game. Lara Croft has been in loads of games, movies, and other media.

Oct 28, 2017

A simple question has some bringing their animals, moms, dads, grandparents, coworkers, a few kids from the playground back when they were six into this thread to validate Lara Croft's popularity.

Because it's very valid. Lara Croft is a character that transcends gaming and that's a fact.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even a question. The Last of Us is an awesome game, but Lara Croft is something else, cultural wise.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're in your own echo chamber if you believe Ellie is more popular and that's all you see.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's very valid. Lara Croft is a character that transcends gaming and that's a fact.
It is but, again, that is not necessarily a measure of one's popularity. Talking about how many people recognise a character has little relevance to that discussion. Even more people probably recognise Pac-Man but I wouldn't say Pac-Man is more popular than Lara Croft or Ellie either. Popularity comes and goes, it's why what is "pop culture" now is not the same as what was pop culture 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It doesn't mean people just forgot about those things but they are less liked, relevant and of less interest. Less popular, you might say.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure how op even convinced them self that this was a thing on "the internet", within the gaming community Or let alone in the real world
However we can all be guilty of assuming that the parts of the internet we consider mainstream are ACTUALLY mainstream pop culture and represent "the internet" rather than the corner we frequent at times

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017

People aren't anti-Ellie because they don't believe Ellie is as popular as one of the most popular female characters in gaming lmao

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I miss Bubble Bobble. It was quite popular.

Definitely more popular then Lara Croft.

Ya'll forgetting true icon. Knack destroys both of em

you right...

People aren't anti-Ellie because they don't believe Ellie is as popular as one of the most popular female characters in gaming lmao

No no no it will happen and it will called: MLCGA. They are going to have a protest in 2020 on February 21th to remind everybody about their late night big poster queen lol

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Screenshot_20190926-091954_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190926-091931_Chrome.jpg

That's a margin of more than 10-1. Case closed.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
People have to know the person before they forms any positive interest though.
Sure, but do people saying even their parents know Lara Croft mean their parents have any positive interest in that character, or do they simply just know who she is?

It's a pointless argument though because people just keep saying the same thing, displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between what is popular and what is recognisable. Asking which is more popular is certainly not a ridiculous question for all the reasons the OP states. It's fine to disagree but saying because somebody who doesn't care about Lara Croft knows who Lara Craft is speaks nothing to her popularity.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but do people saying even their parents know Lara Croft mean their parents have any positive interest in that character, or do they simply just know who she is?

It's a pointless argument though because people just keep saying the same thing, displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between what is popular and what is recognisable. Asking which is more popular is certainly not a ridiculous question for all the reasons the OP states. It's fine to disagree but saying because somebody who doesn't care about Lara Croft knows who Lara Craft is speaks nothing to her popularity.

+1

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
what kind of fantasy world is the op living in? I've played the game and it literally took me 5 secs before I even guessed it was tlou

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Lara Croft, thanks to the large part of movies which were a mainstream success.

It made $275M worldwide. Check HyperDimension's post

What a bizarre post, games and movies are different medium where one costs significantly higher than the other.

If you're just talking money, then surely you must know that TLOU brought a lot more $$$ than $275m TR movie pulled?