• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
industrial-storage-pop-up-coffee-table-o.jpg

I have this great coffee table from West Elm that my fiance and I will eat on from the sofa
Yup my wife and I are hunting for a coffee table for a while now.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I don't have a tray. For most foods I'll just eat with my plate in my lap if I'm in front of the TV (which I almost always am, unless I have company over). If its something more complex I'll pull the coffee table closer and use that while sitting forward. If its too involved I'll eat at the dining room table, though I probably only do so a few times a year except when company is coming.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
It is an old person thing to do because younger people don't watch as much tv. Or they can watch on their phone or tablet more comfortably at a table compared to sitting on a couch.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I have a dining table in my living room. 9/10 I eat there. Other than that I'll eat in the kitchen standing up at the counter. Same for the kids when I have them. Though I don't mind the TV being on. Only time I have that off/no phones etc is Sunday dinner.

I hate eating dinner on the sofa and don't do it. Dunno why lol

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Eating in front of the TV seems like such an American idea. But the tray seems like the better way of doing it. Have only seen this kind of stuff in us tv shows though.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My Dad does, but he's 80 and on his own, so he can eat his dinner how ever he likes as far as I'm concerned. I'll use a tray and eat while watching tv with him when I stay at his for the weekend as that's the way he likes to do it. Bear in mind that we'll spend the whole weekend talking anyway, so it's not like dinner time is family talking time for us.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I have small space. Bedroom, utility/storage room, laundry room, bathroom, and one contiguous wide hallway-like space serving as the hub which is probably like <250ft square.

I can only realistically choose 3 to fit in that space:
-Living Room
-Office
-Kitchen
-Dining Room

Dining Room says buh-bye. It's just not a good use of space for me. I eat wherever.

Interestingly I don't have a tray. Never really considered it honestly.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was confused in that I thought the non-old man alternative would be to eat dinner sitting at a proper table with napkins and such while not watching anything, which seemed like a far more old man thing to do. The difference between tray or no tray is anecdotal and up to taste, but I definitely prefer tray because it lets me lay back more confortably and can hold condiments, a glass, bottles, etc. saving me trips to the kitchen.

House rules are no TV on whilst eating dinner.

Our house rules are the opposite; dinner time is Netflix time. Granted that's easy to enforce when you're living with your SO (plus cats) and we both have the same tastes in TV.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Eating dinner in front of your TV only ever reminds me of both The Simpsons and Back to the Future. I've done it as a kid, but never formally with a tray table.

These days, I watch stuff on my phone or iPad while eating on my kitchen island.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me think of old people, yes.

I eat at the table and either browse content on my phone or watch something on my laptop.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I was confused in that I thought the non-old man alternative would be to eat dinner sitting at a proper table with napkins and such while not watching anything, which seemed like a far more old man thing to do. The difference between tray or no tray is anecdotal and up to taste, but I definitely prefer tray because it lets me lay back more confortably and can hold condiments, a glass, bottles, etc. saving me trips to the kitchen.

Our house rules are the opposite; dinner time is Netflix time. Granted that's easy to enforce when you're living with your SO (plus cats) and we both have the same tastes in TV.

With 3 kids all differing ages and interests it would be impossible to find something to please everyone, so it stays off.

Also due to the hours I've been pulling in lockdown it's nice to shut the office door and have some time away from any screens for awhile.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Remember you could always be an animal that eats on your bed!

Interesting notion considering breakfast in bed is such a desirable thing to attain. ;)

In any case, breakfast in bed is usually brunch in bed. So you may as well try lunch at that point. And if you've already done lunch, it's not like that's any different than dinner anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting notion considering breakfast in bed is such a desirable thing to attain. ;)

In any case, breakfast in bed is usually brunch in bed. So you may as well try lunch at that point. And if you've already done lunch, it's not like that's any different than dinner anyway.
I forgot about breakfast-in-bed, lol but it's mostly about dirtying your sheets and attracting insects, also sleeping on crumbs/food.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
If it came to that, holding the plate would be enough. No tray needed. If you want to watch TV while eating a full meal using your phone or tablet in the kitchen are the more modern solutions.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I don't see it as an old man thing. I just set the food on the side of me on the couch when I'm not eating it at the time, and then hold the plate with one hand resting the plate against my shoulder when I'm eating it while browsing my iPad.

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
Im eating a slice of chocolate pie on my bed infront of my tv using my ps4 to watch youtube as we speak.Where is your god now OP?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Just eat wherever you want. You don't need to officially eat your dinner at a kitchen table as though your life is restricted to weird, draconian rules of when and where you can do certain things in your living space. Sometimes I'll eat my dinner at my computer desk because why the hell not?

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its just the way my home is set up, but my dining table has a direct view of the 75 incher in my living room, so...I don't really need to sit in front of the TV unless I want super accurate 5.1 sounds around me.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've been eating at my computer desk since I was 18. IMO worrying about where you eat being an "old man thing" is way more of a "young man thing."
When you're really an old man you won't care anymore.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I eat in front of the TV all the time, sometimes with a tray, sometimes without.

We eat at the table when we have larger or more elaborate meals that needs more space or we just want to chat over food.

Nothing savage about it, we're both in our 30's (she's in her early 30's and me in the late)

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have a big dining room table, but I don't wheat at it much since it is just me and my wife. One or both of us is usually too tired to eat at the table and just wants to slump out in front of the tv.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
For my case I work from 3pm-Midnight so I often miss dinner with the family. So I don't usually have the TV on during dinner, but it's not out of the question. When I'm not there i know they watch shows. But certain nights we will, like pizza nd movie night. But we'll sit at the table and turn the TV so we can see it better. Then migrate over to the couch after eating.

We used to have a coffee table and we would sit on the floor and watch. Don't own a tray.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Seems like a waste of time. Eat on the toilet. Put food in as food goes out, keeps a natural equilibrium. Eat the rest in your car on the way to/from work.

61Rwt6%2BeAdL._AC_SX425_.jpg