• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
Hey everyone, just wondering: with MWC getting cancelled just a few weeks prior to its start, with PlayStation recently backing out of PAX and GDC, plus a myriad of other similar stories in different industries, should we start to be worried about the fate of E3, with Coronavirus appearing to become more of a factor as time goes by?
At least, do you think this going to impact the presence at the show of some publishers or personalities, maybe from Asia or China? Or do you reckon that with E3 being so important and all people are just going to show up no matter what, maybe relying more on their local US teams to carry the load?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If the virus situation continues for longer, I could see the last thing you mentioned happening, perhaps with doors closed for the public.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Depends how these go in the next couple of months. E3 is still a bit away.

If things remain as they are now - probably not, but as is happening now, some companies may withdraw or reduce their presence themselves.

If things get worse, all bets are off.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting question that I think has way more dimensions than just coronavirus, like how much publishers and hardware manufacturers value E3 as a platform to signal boost their products... Which in itself is questionable at this point.

I would venture to guess that affected companies are wanting every opportunity to bounce back from the economic effects. I don't know if they perceive E3 as a platform that helps them achieve that anymore.

I have a kneejerk urge to be optimistic and say that coronavirus' decline in new cases is the tip of the iceberg of international containment and recovery, but I absolutely know it's too early to tell for sure...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Its a while before we'll know but of course its possible. If people start shying away, booth holders will start to get cold feet and want reassurances from ESA as booths are so expensive and much lower footfall isn't good (last year was already pretty bad). So it may not take a lot to tip it over the edge.

OP
OP
Scanna

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
Interesting question that I think has way more dimensions than just coronavirus, like how much publishers and hardware manufacturers value E3 as a platform to signal boost their products... Which in itself is questionable at this point.

I would venture to guess that affected companies are wanting every opportunity to bounce back from the economic effects. I don't know if they perceive E3 as a platform that helps them achieve that anymore.

I have a kneejerk urge to be optimistic and say that coronavirus' decline in new cases is the tip of the iceberg of international containment and recovery, but I absolutely know it's too early to tell for sure...
Do you think it might be used as an "elegant and convenient" excuse from some undecided companies to back out of the costs of going to E3?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Going by SARS (which is also a coronavirus type virus), these current situation will (hopefully) be over by June/July period when the drier and warmer seasons hits most countries. This basically happened to SARS and more likely it will be the same here as well.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
e3 is not that far off when you think about it. Apparently you might be able to get re-infected by nCov also so I could see it not going ahead.

By gamescom time hopefully this'll have passed. I could not imagine going there with a thing like this at large. GC is so fucking gross

Oct 29, 2017
E3 is breathing its last at the moment anyway; Coronavirus may well just so happen to be the last infectious breath it takes.

OP
OP
Scanna

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
Companies can just show up if they don't want to.

Not sure I understand this.
Yeah did not phrase it correctly. Let's say you committed to E3, maybe because you have been there for years, but you are a bit of two minds on this, cause it can be very expensive, you might have considered going another route this year and you are also a bit concerned about the actual coronavirus situation. Wouldn't it be easier for those companies to maybe bow out this year, seeing that there's also this additional threat?
Maybe I'm reading too much into things ^^

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think a single event was canceled in USA, so no.
I would had, no matter what, that E3 is in Jeopardy.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The virus for now at least seems to be peaking with the amount of new cases so it will hopefully not be a major issue by June.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
E3 died the moment Sony decided to skip the 2nd year in a row. COVID-19 is not what's killing it. The virus responsible is called ESA.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony can't cancel their appearance at a show they aren't going to.

It's unlikely that the coronavirus will still be a global threat in June

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now imagining a bunch of influencers and streaming celebs all getting the caronavirus and acting like its the cool new thing like the tide pod challenge.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One company out of dozens has pulled out of PAX, while the rest remain.

I think most USA-based events will turn out fine. I think Japanese companies will continue to be wary, but they are a small part of the picture at E3. Square-Enix won't have much to show besides The Avengers, I don't think.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think a single event was canceled in USA, so no.
I would had, no matter what, that E3 is in Jeopardy.

According to Business Insider five days ago, even ahead of their GDC withdrawal, Facebook cancelled their Global Marketing Summit scheduled for 9th - 12th March.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's still too far ahead to be sure, but it depends if the virus's spread can be controlled.

As of right now, China's cases are (maybe) peaking, but Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and Iran are having increasing outbreaks/epidemics.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering so far the only two gaming companies cancelling US conference appearances are Sony (who weren't planning on attending E3) and Oculus (who prefer their own conferences). So, the answer to OP's question is "probably not".

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It 100% depends on the way the virus goes.

At it's current rate, there are already restrictions and screenings in place that control the points of entry into the United States. As long as they are being followed there's not really additional concerns. If anything, they should just remind companies with booths to follow the travel guidelines and cut back if necessary. Chinese and Japanese companies that don't have a significant branch in the Western world would probably have to skip. They should remind convention goers of transmission prevention strategies, such as proper hand hygiene, covering your mouth fully and properly when coughing or sneezing, avoiding close proximity as best as possible, and more.

If the virus was serious enough in the US at this point that it necessitated cancelling something like E3, then there would be tons of other events that need to be looked at, such as concerts, sporting events, public gatherings, and more. We're not at that point yet and so far the spread has been controlled pretty well.

But E3 is still almost four months away, things could chance in just a month that require reevaluating the situation.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go with yes. I can see many companies scaling back from big events like this - and international travel in general.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
One company out of dozens has pulled out of PAX, while the rest remain.

I think most USA-based events will turn out fine. I think Japanese companies will continue to be wary, but they are a small part of the picture at E3. Square-Enix won't have much to show besides The Avengers, I don't think.
That isn't entirely true about PAX. Square Enix just canceled almost all of their FFXIV events at PAX over coronavirus concerns. So Sony isn't the only company pulling out of or downsizing live events right now.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I can see both MS and Sony delaying next gen console releases given that production may be affected.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Going by SARS (which is also a coronavirus type virus), these current situation will (hopefully) be over by June/July period when the drier and warmer seasons hits most countries. This basically happened to SARS and more likely it will be the same here as well.
Although nobody knows why SARS was impacted by the heat, while MERS thrives in it. That one managed to spread in the Middle East during summer. So we don't know what way Covid will go.