• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is E3 going to be cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 990 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 707 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This virus isn't going to go away quitely, you can look at what's happening in Iran and try to convince yourself containing this will be easy but it wont.

It's going to be a rough year until a vaccine comes available, which CDC estimates at least a year. This isn't fear-mongering it's just where the facts lie right now, unless the part about the virus receeding in summer is true but even then I can still see people being risk averse about gatherings for a while

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling, platform warring
E3 will be cancelled due to corona virus. But sony fanboys will claim its because sony pulled out months ago.
Believe me. Trust me. I know better than most. I do. šŸ‘ŒšŸ»

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. This virus doesn't seem to stop anytime soon. It's going to get worse before it's over. I thought it would be over by now, but it keeps spreading outside of Asia.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Judging by the timeline of the spread in China it would seem the worst is ahead for those in every other country. It's hard to imagine how hosting an international event in cramped centres will be seen as a good idea in June.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The chances that this virus is successfully contained in the next 3 months are next to zero. The U.S. response is being headed by Mike Pence, and that should tell you all you need to know about that. Since the virus is having a staggered spread (has peaked in China, but is rising in South Korea, Iran and Italy, and about to explode in the U.S) means that by June, there will most likely still be a number of countries struggling with it. And an event like E3 in that case will be disastrous to international containment efforts.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling, platform warring
The worst consequence of the virus is that we'll end up getting another State of Play because of it.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows but if I were to place a bet, I'd say odds are favoring a delay.

The situation is already worst than when companies were pulling out of GDC and there are new cases in new states every day.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering what E3 was set to become this year... all the cringe, it wouldn't surprise me if they think it's edgy and cool to not cancel and the whole world laugh that only like 200 people show up.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I hope it does honestly. Not because I don't enjoy them, but I feel it should be pushed back until things have stabilized when it comes to the epidemic.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Olympic Committee says virus must be contained by May or they have to cancel the olympics. I'd assume E3 has less time since it is earlier in the summer, though not as major an event, they still needs time to let everyone know for travel purposes etc.

Last edited:

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
No

If the virus gets better, it won't be cancelled because there's no threat

If the virus gets worse, it won't be cancelled because the ESA

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I pray it isnt.
E3 is always an exciting time even without all the big 3.
E3 gifs alone are worth the price of entry.

And im sure by E3 time corona should be under control.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
they will pray away the virus HARD.

j0cIDZ.png

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think it will be yes, shows like it all over Europe and Asia are being cancelled. We are seeing various shows being cancel
Switzerland has banned public gatherings of over 1000 people for example.

So companies involved in E3 and others being there are going to be considering the risk of going vs the cost of cancellation.
Especially on the scale that something like E3 costs.

Visitors are going to be apprehensive about travel and businesses are going to be concerned about making their staff travel

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Too soon to tell. I wouldn't be confident in any prediction until May.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it will be called well before May one way or another. I'd say a decision will be made by April 1st.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Won't be cancelled in terms of announcements. But who knows if there will be an in person event

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus panic will probably have died down by then. People are really only freaking out about it because it's new. The flu has a higher mortality rate and no one is cancelling any events because of that.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I think holding E3 isn't very responsible, but COVID-19 is a disease that thrives off cold and June is summer-ish, so I could see them going through with it.
Coronavirus panic will probably have died down by then. People are really only freaking out about it because it's new. The flu has a higher mortality rate and no one is cancelling any events because of that.
"If it doesn't kill people it isn't a pandemic nor is it dangerous".
Normally this train of thought would be called being condescending towards people panicking, but today we call that stupidity. It's the kind of behavior that enables anti-vaxxers

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At this point, the big three should just do "directs" until the safety risks are eliminated.

Maybe it'll give e3 some time to redesign itself for the better (I hope..)

They might never go back to the old format. It's cheaper and owned directly by the platform holder. I mean sony isnt at E3 already and Nintendo can run its direct regardless. If E3 was cancelled and more than Sony/Nintendo were to run digital events, I'm not sure the conference would recover in 2021.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll come down to the companies weighing the risks - I could see the likes of Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and other primarily Japanese devs dropping out and simply holding conferences or video presentations instead.

But yeah it's too early to say - things could either get a lot better or a lot worse. I know that I'd have probably cancelled my flight for a refund by now if I were thinking of going, but that's more because it's expensive flying there from the UK. It might be a very US-centric show if it goes ahead.

It is worth noting the sheer expense and foreplanning, too. Why would a company spend hundreds and thousands on TV set ups, cabling, massive statues etc. if there's a possibility the show won't even go on? That's why I figure we'll find out sooner rather than later if cancellations happen.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If the virus threat continues to exist until E3, enough to cancel it, then I don't think videogames will be people's priorities.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Could really go both ways with this one. But knowing the ESA they're just gonna pull through with it
E3 will be cancelled due to corona virus. But sony fanboys will claim its because sony pulled out months ago.
Believe me. Trust me. I know better than most. I do. šŸ‘ŒšŸ»
Imagine being this invested into console warzzz

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
No is not. Why does this lie keep getting spread?
A simple google search can show you that flu mortality rate in 2019 was about 0.05%. And Coronavirus is around 2,3%.
www.livescience.com

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

Research so far indicates that COVID-19 spreads more easily and has a higher death rate than the flu.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I think it will be cancelled but the good thing is it gives enough time for companies to properly plan, create, and edit a video presentation instead around the time E3 was going to happen.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is too early to know. If Covid19 behaves like other coronaviruses such as the common cold or SARS, it may be that with the increase of temperatures in summer the situation improves a lot. But again, soon to know.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should cancel. Better to limit the virus spread than "videogames". Companies should just make a Direct.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No is not. Why does this lie keep getting spread?
A simple google search can show you that flu mortality rate in 2019 was about 0.05%. And Coronavirus is around 2,3%.
www.livescience.com

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

Research so far indicates that COVID-19 spreads more easily and has a higher death rate than the flu.
Comparing the mortality rate of coronavirus in China with flu in the United States does not seem very logical given the differences in the health systems of both countries.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest even if a bunch of companies back out, I could still see the ESA going through with it just to try and grasp onto any semblance of relevancy it still has

Status
Not open for further replies.