• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
So my roommate is playing it and it looks fun, is it worth it?

I saw it on Best Buy for the PS4 for $20.

Note: I Never played any Dragon Age game before.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. So yeah, I'd say it was worth it. Does that version come with the Trespasser DLC? That's like essential.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
$20? I think I got it on PSN sale for £3.99 (and it wasn't worth it, I kinda hated it)

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
If you've gotten an extended look at the gameplay and/or are intrigued by what you've seen of the story, I'd say jump in. I've loved every entry in the series, but Inquisition is definitely the most accessible.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It's an OK RPG with some of the worst sidequests in the genre. GOTY edition is worth 20 dollars tho.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Inquisition is the worst Dragon Age game, but you could do worse. It is a broken, terrible, and rushed game, but it has some good moments; Iron Bull is an incredibly fun companion, for instance. Going into it with no investment in the franchise would probably make it a fun romp.

So, go for it. Learn firsthand why you need to leave the Hinterlands.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun getting the Platinum. It's more fun if you crank up the difficulty so you actually have to think about the combat. I also found playing melee was much more fun than playing as a mage.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For $20? Yeah I'd so say. It's a decent game to just kinda run around and kill shit. Bump the difficulty up if you find yourself getting bored.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I thought I was alone in not caring for DA:I. Wow.

How could you come to that conclusion when literally every DA:I thread is filled with people who despise the game? It's pretty divisive.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The companion quests and banter are delightful, and the main story is fairly solid apart from an antagonist who is never really fleshed out unless you played some random optional DLC back in DA2. It suffers from being a cross-generation title, but I played through it a second time almost immediately and was instantly eager for DA4. Doubly so after playing the Trespasser DLC.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I think people that hate it probably had a bad taste of it because of their experience with the other two games. I was the same. I think what saved it for me is I spent so much time in it's multiplayer, and learned a lot about it's game mechanics. When I went back to singleplayer I had so much knowledge and I had a different view on how to manage the game.

Playing it like FF7R instead of Pillars of Eternity is the way to go. Pick a character to stick with, with the occasional changes to cast abilities, or reposition then get back to that main character. Build the AI/cpu companions to be able to manage themselves. The computer is actually very smart and good at doing things.

Trespasser makes things way better because of the extra passives, loot, story/missions, and trials (difficulty with rewards the more you add on).

The game is good, amazing even. Get the darn thing. Any questions ask. Oh and yeah, early the game wants you to do a certain amount of side quests to progress, but you can eventually buy power to skip that. Oh also don't try to complete a zone before moving on or heading back to headquarters.

lblTTG0.jpg

Last edited:

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It is sort of a collect-a-thon with a load of content, check boxes to tick off, endless icons on the map, etc..

Actually, thinking about it now, it's kind of like Bioware's take on an Ubisoft open world game, in a way.

But it also has good characters and some good dialogue and acting work, it still looks nice and has a nice variety of areas, and like I said you're not gonna run short on content quickly, especially if you're getting the expansions with it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was fine I guess, but it regularly goes on sale on PS4 and Xbox for under 10 bucks so why not

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
The story is atrocious IMO and a good indication of where BioWare was headed. Gameplay was decent at its time but I think there are much better games to play right now.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was pretty mediocre but for a cheap price, why not? if ur on pc i suggest u just mod the timed table events out though

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's a great game. People saying "worst DA game" are wildin', it's the second best (and second worst) DA game.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The goty edition with all the (essential) dlc is routinely on sale for like $10 or less, wait for that. I'd also just start with dragon age origins if you can as very little of the plot will make sense unless you play the whole series.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I got the GOTY version or whatever a long time ago, played it for a bit but just stopped at some point as the first world problem of too many games reared its ugly head again.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Great game but very bloated. I loved it.

Really? This game gets shit on massively every time it's brought up.
I gotta assume I must've been blinded by the praise for the series as a whole. My issues with it were partly my own making, though:
1. I made my character a tiny wood-elf archer. Nothing about him felt heroic or inspiring. As a leader, nothing about him felt believable, and I couldn't fathom why anyone else trusted me in the slightest. I created the most boring weiner hero possible. Oops.
2. I mostly completed the first zone before going anywhere else. I never saw a reason to leave before completing it, so I worked through hours of boring quests before I saw much more of the main story.
3. This was my first Dragon Age game and I had zero attachment to any of the characters being brought in from the other games, and only a loose understanding of the general plot that led up to Inquisition.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Wait for sale.

And DO NOT TRY TO DO EVERYTHING. Just do the important stuff (main quest, conpanion quest, dragons, zone dungeons) and ignore all the trash filler content.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time through it but it's definitely a very flawed game....

Just make sure to get the fuck out of the Hinterlands.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
My GOTY it came out, and Tresspasser made it even better.

Might even be my favorite dragon age.
Not much to say negative about it, it's beautiful, lots of options, strong characters, a trove of lore and counting trespasser a very compelling story.

just make sure to choose to leave the hinterlands pretty quickly :)

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta assume I must've been blinded by the praise for the series as a whole. My issues with it were partly my own making, though:
1. I made my character a tiny wood-elf archer. Nothing about him felt heroic or inspiring. As a leader, nothing about him felt believable, and I couldn't fathom why anyone else trusted me in the slightest. I created the most boring weiner hero possible. Oops.
2. I mostly completed the first zone before going anywhere else. I never saw a reason to leave before completing it, so I worked through hours of boring quests before I saw much more of the main story.
3. This was my first Dragon Age game and I had zero attachment to any of the characters being brought in from the other games, and only a loose understanding of the general plot that led up to Inquisition.

Imo Inquisition is best played after you played the first (maybe also the second game) and "import" the choices you made in those game into Inquisition.

Some events in Inquisition literally plays differently (some NPC from the first game might even appear in Inquisition depending on their fate in the first game) depending on the choice you made in the first/second game.

Inquisition also really bad at introducing the lore/world as the game kinda assume the player already familiar with the lore/world set by Dragon Age Origins...

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
No. Don't do it OP. Tons of issues, from gameplay to writing.

Or at least try the first one before.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
How could you come to that conclusion when literally every DA:I thread is filled with people who despise the game? It's pretty divisive.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The companion quests and banter are delightful, and the main story is fairly solid apart from an antagonist who is never really fleshed out unless you played some random optional DLC back in DA2. It suffers from being a cross-generation title, but I played through it a second time almost immediately and was instantly eager for DA4. Doubly so after playing the Trespasser DLC.

All of this. Like, people shit on this game regularly, but I loved it and really enjoyed myself.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who completed it back in the day: No. Play Witcher 3 again or Divinity Original Sin 2 if you want to play a awesome western rpgs. Bland story, bland world, bland battle system.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
YES GO PLAY IT IT IS A BAE GAME! :p

Seriously, even if you don't like some aspect of it, the story and the characters alone are worth the retail price when it was released. ❤

Highly recommended: Make sure you use the Dragon Age Keep website to polish and progress your world state across all 3 Dragon Age games for the best experience. :)

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I had a lot of fun with it over a lot of hours, there's a lot to love about it. You can usually get it very cheap in sales, seen for like 7 euro.

Don't get bogged down in the Hinterlands

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's an OK game, but feels like an MMO without any other players. Also, the progression scaling is totally fucked; if you do anything close to completing a zone, you get tremendously overlevelled/overpowered and then you just one-shot everything in other zones. Pathetic.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I think its a great game, even after all this time.

Just wish there was a modernised version of the trillogy so i can play through the entire saga from start in a convenient manner.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
The game with all the DLC goes on sale for around $10-$12 and I'd wait for that.
I love DA:I, it's one of my favorite games this generations and the final DLC is great, that being sad the game does have some really bad flaws.
I highly recommend you play the previous dragon age games first though

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Definitely no. It's really just a mediocre game plagued by MMO-like game design with endless pointless mindless fetch quests and rather slim amount of actual substance.

If you haven't played other Dragon Age games, just play Origins which is a good game. Which other RPGs have you played? Maybe you still haven't played some of the actually good ones, in that case you'd be much better off playing them than Inquisition.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Yes and be prepared to sink more than 100 hours in it.

Just a warning, it's an old game and might feel a bit slow but i think it holds up.