• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I'm looking for a new game to sink my teeth into. I've heard nothing but great things about Divinity Original Sin 2 and I really want to play it. But I'm just not a fan of CRPG's. I've tried playing Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and even the first Divinity Original Sin but I just can't get into them. They're way too hardcore for me. I feel like I need to be taking notes while playing them and it gets in my way of enjoying the game. In the first Divinity game I couldn't get past a certain part and when I looked online for help people told me that I specced my character wrong and was essentially fucked. I didn't want to start over because I was 19 hours in so I just gave up.

Long story short, would you recommend this game to me given the fact I don't typically enjoy CRPG's?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Like, I tried real hard to like the game because I like RPGs and a good story. But, I hate top-down isometric RPGs and their combat systems. I tried to just swallow the annoying combat for the story, but after a while I just couldn't justify continuing. I wasn't having any fun. And the combat was still difficult even on the easiest setting.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
You just don't like those games because they are too hard? DSO2 isn't too hard imo.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's one of the best (if not THE best) modern CRPGs, but you will not like it if you dislike the medium. There's a lot of CRPG DNA in it.

And it's hard like most CRPGs are. And detailed, and micro-managey.

OP
OP
SpinierBlakeD

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
No.

Like, I tried real hard to like the game because I like RPGs and a good story. But, I hate top-down isometric RPGs and their combat systems. I tried to just swallow the annoying combat for the story, but after a while I just couldn't justify continuing. I wasn't having any fun. And the combat was still difficult even on the easiest setting.
This is a helpful post. This has been my chief concern with the CRPG's that I've tried.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I would actually say yes. I wasn't a big fan of the genre at all but I absolutely loved DOS2.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

This is pretty much my experience as well. If you dont like CRPGs, you probably wont like this.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in your same boat, OP. Love me some RPGs with good stories and memorable characters, but I never could acquire a taste for the CRPG playstyle. This one is currently sitting in my cart since it's on sale, but if I'm being honest with myself, I think it would just be a waste of $20.

Loved DA:O, couldn't get into POE or Wasteland.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
No. I'd recommend the first Mass Effect to people who don't like CRPGs, or even video games. I did, in fact, have some success with that when ME came out.

D:OS 2 is a great game, but it's definitely not a good first entry into the genre.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
DOS2 is the most CRPG ever made, so if you don't like the genre in the first place, you'll be hard out.

That said, there may be some inkling to be had there, then maybe that can spark interest. What, specially, do you not like about the ones you've played?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll dissent and say YES.

I don't have a particular affinity for CRPGs... I bounced off of the first DOS really hard, but when I picked up DOSII it grabbed me immediately. Play on easy and find a recommended level guide for each area and you're golden. The story is worth it.

As to your concern about respeccing, the game give you the opportunity to do it for free very early on.

Edit: I also really enjoyed the combat. I ran with a party of a rogue/tank, archer/geomancer, Fire/Summoner, and Water/Elec. Mage. Very non-traditional setup, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's one of the best games I've ever played, but I love those kinds of games.
If you don't like the genre, I don't know if even the best example of it could change your mind, but since you're interested, who knows? Find a way to try it out, and just have an open mind and lots of patience. Trying and learning something new can be very satisfying if it clicks.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No. It's the embodiment of everything that either makes CRPGs something you'll enjoy, or something you'll find endlessly irritating. It's also more uneven than its predecessor. More ambitious, certainly, but less polished feeling.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But isn't DA:O also a rtwp CRPG?
Yes, but in the same way that that Kindoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an an ARPG like Dark Souls.

Before I get flamed: I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and had tons of fun with it. Seriously. But it was easier and provided a power fantasy easier than Dark Souls (or Dragon's Dogma.) That's how I feel about the ME series and comparison to the big isometric CRPGs, like DOS2.

Both are valid, fun experiences. Both are not aimed at the same demo of players, though.

Edit: also, though it shares mechanics from rtwp games, DOS2 is turn-based.

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
No.

This is really helpful. I've been thinking about it for a while.

OP
OP
SpinierBlakeD

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
DOS2 is the most CRPG ever made, so if you don't like the genre in the first place, you'll be hard out.

That said, there may be some inkling to be had there, then maybe that can spark interest. What, specially, do you not like about the ones you've played?
Just the playstyle. The top down, turn based combat really bothered me because every encounter was some big event. I just want to go explore the world, suddenly I'm locked in a chess match that requires me to think several moves ahead.

I totally get why that kind of game appeals to some, but it's just not my cup of tea. However, if the story, characters and world are as good as I've heard, I'm tempted to try and push through.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
No. If you don't like CRPG's, especially having tried the first one, I can confidently say you will not like Original Sin 2. It's okay, there are tons of great and varied games out there so no need to try to force yourself to like a genre.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Here's what I wrote for another member a couple of days ago...

I'm gonna disagree. I'm sure Divinity is great if you like those type of games, but with the style of games the OP mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll like an RPG like Divinity. I for example love JRPGs, but Divinity did not click with me.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Just the playstyle. The top down, turn based combat really bothered me because every encounter was some big event. I just want to go explore the world, suddenly I'm locked in a chess match that requires me to think several moves ahead.

I totally get why that kind of game appeals to some, but it's just not my cup of tea. However, if the story, characters and world are as good as I've heard, I'm tempted to try and push through.

OP have you tried Planescape: Torment? Imagine a classic CRPG except the focus is on puzzle solving and even more on the story.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
well, for what it's worth, I bounced off of D:OS1 but enjoyed D:OS2 a lot more
that said, I did fall off the game and have been meaning to get back to it for a while, but still

if you're interested in playing for the story, there is both an easy difficulty and a story difficulty too

Oct 29, 2017
I would say yes. It was the first CRPG that I saw through to the end. Definitely the game I would recommend for anyone looking to try a CRPG.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah don't go for DOS2. It's combat is very much of the "Big Event Chess Type", and fairly central to the game.

The story is...well, I must admit, I didn't pay much attention to it. Or the characters. Better than the first, but still, I've never been much one for game stories. I'd be surprised, however, if other people found the story to be a big enough - and good enough - element to outweight the combat for someone who otherwise doesn't like it.

Last edited:

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
It Is Too Hard For a Casual Player. I Would Recommend It To A Gamer That Likes RPGs in General Though.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering this myself as somebody who completely bounced off the first one. Sounds like I shouldn't be too optimistic.

I'm curious about the combat though, I hear it's turn based (a huge plus), is it tactical, like the Harebrained Shadowrun games?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I've been wondering this myself as somebody who completely bounced off the first one. Sounds like I shouldn't be too optimistic.

I'm curious about the combat though, I hear it's turn based (a huge plus), is it tactical, like the Harebrained Shadowrun games?

Yes, but so was the first one. The HBS Shadowrun games are quite simple combat wise in comparison to D:OS or D:OS2.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but so was the first one. The HBS Shadowrun games are quite simple combat wise in comparison to D:OS or D:OS2.
So it's on a grid and positioning is important? That's good to hear. I can't remember much of the first one because I only got a few hours in before being turned off.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
I wouldn't. I have a mild interest in cRPGS (mostly because I like most other types of RPGs), and after awhile I had no desire to continue in D:OS2. I think it's a high quality game, but not good enough that it transcends its gameplay style.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah if you don't enjoy the "process" of learning about the world, that is searching, questing, fighting, exploring, FOMOing out at all the options before you, then you won't have a good time, even if you somehow "like" the world and characters and story.

It's like being force fed a milkshake with a feeding tube. I mean, I love milkshakes but not that much.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I tried real hard to like the game because I like RPGs and a good story. But, I hate top-down isometric RPGs and their combat systems. I tried to just swallow the annoying combat for the story, but after a while I just couldn't justify continuing. I wasn't having any fun. And the combat was still difficult even on the easiest setting.

This was exactly me 45 minutes into the game. "I should be enjoying this. Its an RPG with character customization and a well-regarded story. Everyone else likes it. I need to power through this beginning, find my footing, and get better!"

I wouldn't. I have a mild interest in cRPGS (mostly because I like most other types of RPGs), and after awhile I had no desire to continue in D:OS2. I think it's a high quality game, but not good enough that it transcends its gameplay style.

This was exactly me after another 45 minutes. "I can see why people like this game; there's a lot to like - there are not many cRPGs, there's a lot of polish, and its well-made. Its just not my style of game."

Oh man I love DA:O. I might just give up my search for a new game and play Origins again.

And after two hours of playing, I literally felt this. "Why can't someone make a presentation-heavy, fully-voiced single-player RPG with multiple playing perspectives like Dragon Age: Origins...? Why can't Bioware make that again?" From new game curiosity to industry-frustration reflection in two hours.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Yes and no, honestly it's hard to say. DOS2 improves on 1 in pretty much every aspect with major improvements to the gameplay, but if you really bounced off DOS1 entirely then it might not be a game for you. It's the first CRPG I played in eons and despite initially being bored with DOS2 I ended up falling in love with it, though your milage may vary.

That said DOS2: Definitive Edition (given just how much content it added) is straight up one of the best games I ever played, so at least I think it's worth trying if you can.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see how people are recommending Dragon Age. I couldn't put my finger on it but this game gave me a DA:O vibe.

CRPGs aren't my favorite kind of RPG. I think the only one I ever played was Ultima VIII. I found that game weird as a kid but stuck with it for a lil. With that said this game is fantastic though I'll have to pace myself with the genre. So much inventory lol.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

The writing, tone, and pacing of the second blows the first out of the water. If you thought the combat in the Shadowrun games was tactical, you'll have to put much, much more thought into what you are doing each turn in Divinity. I like the Shadowrun games, but the combat isn't comparable.