• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I didn't get far in the first one I'm considering buying this or ps5. I enjoyed it but I felt like they didn't really explain the game systems too well and I ended up getting stuck and dropped it. I heard the second game was better and wanted to try it out.

Mar 25, 2019
I don't know if I would necessarily say it is easier combat-wise, but I found it to be much more accessible in terms of where to go/what to do and always having an objective/new area to explore. I definitely felt lost and meandering at parts in 1, never had that problem with 2.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you were struggling with.
The second game is better in almost every way, but it's still Divinity. Those games are fairly hardcore, don't expect a big change.
Combat can be quite challenging if you don't know what you are doing.
You need to be willing to learn the game systems, which are fairly deep. Tutorials are not really a thing.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Play on Story mode and you'll have fun but it will still be somewhat challenging late game

I also bounced off the first one, but love the second one

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I honestly feel it's way more difficult due to the Armor System as well as a few other systems. In OS1, if you came across a really tough fight it was probably possible to beat it by playing intelligently, using the environment to your advantage, and using CC to disable groups. In OS2 however, it's a lot more difficult to do so due to armor system limiting the type of CC you can do as well as the extreme mobility everyone has. This means that gear is also a lot more important than before (you also can't craft the best gear anymore which means it's all up to RNG).

Also the difficulty spikes are way worse IMO. In OS1 the only real huge spike was at the beginning and at the boss in the cathedral. In OS2 there's way more spikes and they're all a lot tougher to get through (Act 4's difficulty spike really makes that part of the game a complete slog).

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
OS 2 has story mode, which is easier than the easiest difficulty 1 had.

Summoner class makes the first half of the game super easy, especially once you get summoning up to 10.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Easier? No, but that's why difficulty levels exist.

Far better game? Without question.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I think the ramp is smoother in DOS2. There are basically two sections of 1; before you have a mage who can CC everyone in the first turn, and after, the relative difficulties of which vary wildly. In 2, the armor system makes this a lot more balanced, although also more tedious. I adore the games, but it's not perfect. Eventually even in 2 though it becomes about rushing single type of damage, so still not amazing, but it's still a more gradual process anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
(...) I felt like they didn't really explain the game systems too well and I ended up getting stuck and dropped it. I heard the second game was better and wanted to try it out.
It's not better in that regard. You have to do some homework or "read the manual" as I like to put it to fully understand it. The wiki is a great spoiler-free resource as usual. That said, it is one of the best WRPGs ever made with a nice set of characters and that rewards thinking outside the box. Larian kept adding free content to it until recently. I'm not sure how the interface translates to console though.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think so. OS1 starts out hard, but like many RPGs the difficulty drops off a lot at higher levels. OS2 was challenging from start to finish.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I was actually planning on trying this one once I finished up Wasteland 3.

I love these kinds of games but don't play them very much and I'm trying to change that. Playing Wasteland 3 on Normal feels perfect me. Challenging but I'm not getting frustrated, which is a huge reason why I haven't dropped it. (I'm also terrible at these games).

For OS2 I was trying to decide between Explorer and Classic. Leaning towards Classic mode as I'd rather just overcome the hump and learn. And I feel Explorer might be a tad too forgiving.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing yesterday, I'm used to CRPG games and this one has quite the reputation. I chose classic mode, I think I should be able to deal with it. Let's see how it goes. Games looks amazing,.