• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Hi guys,

So I played and liked the first game but dropped it when the extensions came out and haven't catched up with the second one.

But now it's on GamePass and as I understand, a lot of things will be drop on November 10 following the new update.

So should I give it go now ? How his the core experience, what does it add to the first one ? And I'm trying to bring abord a friend but he has been burned with the first one (played too much, rewarded to few).

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the game for years. They've definitely have done better at having new people get more immersed into the world. I'd say jump in whenever you want. Xbox game pass gives you a lot of the current content. Definitely have a squad to play with... you get burned out on the game if you solo. If you need people to help out, ERA has a good community.

EDIT: I'd say experience some of the content going away. Not sure when or if some of the stuff will return. Xbox gamepass is providing a nice value. I got my account cross saved. So i can help out if ya want.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They are completely re-designing the new player experience to make it easier to understand and get into with the new expansion so I'd definitely wait.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Loved the game early on. Then fell away from it hard when I realised how much they decided to play with FOMO/ 'you had to be there' .

I think at this point, I'm so far out of the loop that I can't be bothered to get back in.

From what I see on my old feeds still connected with the game, there was some issue with something called cipher drops? So the game still seems to have the 'seasonal grinding/drops' loop with seasonal rewards that won't be earned outside it.

I want to give it a chance with the coming expansion and I know Bungie has been on record that they recognise that they went overboard with FOMO - so I have my fingers crossed. Right now though, I wait.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Still don't get why this requires Plus to play online. It's been F2P for over a year now, why is Plus still a requirement? Would like to give this a shot (PC isn't an option at the moment and until the pandemic dies down).

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so out of the loop when it comes to Destiny. Do I need to buy anything more than the expansion to be able to get the FULL experience in November?

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might seem insignificant, but if you care about achievements/trophies, we still don't know what's happening with some of the ones being made unobtainable by the vaulting soon do we?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They are completely re-designing the new player experience to make it easier to understand and get into with the new expansion so I'd definitely wait.
That sounds good. I was thinking about jumping in on XSX with Game Pass.
Do you think I could get a decent single player experience out of this. I'm not planning to do any post-game stuff or play online with people.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys,

So I played and liked the first game but dropped it when the extensions came out and haven't catched up with the second one.

But now it's on GamePass and as I understand, a lot of things will be drop on November 10 following the new update.

So should I give it go now ? How his the core experience, what does it add to the first one ? And I'm trying to bring abord a friend but he has been burned with the first one (played too much, rewarded to few).
For the storyline and the music "Journey", yes, especially since it is basically a F2P now.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds good. I was thinking about jumping in on XSX with Game Pass.
Do you think I could get a decent single player experience out of this. I'm not planning to do any post-game stuff or play online with people.
There is a good amount of story driven content you could do as a single player experience. But most of the game is based on fireteam/multiplayer experiences in the long run/end game.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
November 10th is looking to be the best time to start Destiny 2 in a long time. They detailed the new user experience in this weeks blog post.

BURN BRIGHT, NEW LIGHT
Over the last year, there's been a lot of great feedback about the new player experience in Destiny 2. Currently, players are given a single mission to become acquainted with some basic gameplay, and then let loose in the Tower without much direction on where to go or what to do next. This led to some confusion, as many players didn't exactly know where to start. Who's that robot that's meticulously cleaning an Auto Rifle? What do I do with these engrams? And what's a Zavala? The team has been working to restructure the onramp for Destiny 2, and today we'll be giving a small glimpse into the New Light experience.

JJ_Steppes01.jpg

Starting November 10, players will start in the same way that most all of us have. A Ghost will be on the hunt for their Guardian, they'll stumble upon you, and they'll revive you for the first time. What's different now is that you won't immediately find a ship. Rather, you'll stumble into another Guardian in the wild.

JJ_Shaw02.jpg

Shaw Han is his name, and he's on a mission with his fireteam to investigate what the Hive are up to in the Cosmodrome. He'll show you the ropes, and help you find your way among the gameplay and systems of Destiny 2.

As a new player, you'll spend your first few missions getting acquainted with the state of the world in Destiny 2. You'll have opportunity to take a few weapons out for a spin, find engrams to try different armor and see our progression systems, and have some time to learn how to navigate the user interface to understand quests, bounties, collections, and more. All of this will happen before you set foot in the Tower, and our hope is that this refreshed New Light experience will give a much warmer welcome to Guardians as they play Destiny 2 for the first time.

JJ_ForgottenShore01.jpg

With the Cosmodrome coming out of the Destiny Content Vault (DCV), this gave us the perfect opportunity to overhaul our new player experience. For veteran players out there, this will be a stroll through memory lane. While the Plaguelands are strictly quarantined per Vanguard orders, you'll still be able to explore much of what you remember from your first days as a Guardian. Running through the Mothyards to collect Spinmetal, heading down the stairs of the Steppes to face off against powerful Hive Knights, and more. There will be occasional moments of discovery, like stumbling upon a Lost Sector that you haven't seen before. If you're an existing player and would like to go through the New Light quest, it will also be available to you on November 10.

We're excited to see how new players react to our revamped New Light experience, and for many of you to get your boots back on the ground in the Cosmodrome.

Eyes up, Guardian.

Bungie.net

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wait until Beyond Light launches. The free-to-play portion of the game will see a significant overhaul then. If it hooks you, pick up Beyond Light or one of the other DLC's.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I stopped with this and The Division games as they are games you need to jump into quite often. I'd rather play games that are far more focused.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Imo, No, it's a tedious grind of activities that get really boring after a while. They lost the plot with decent gun design years ago. Raids got worse with every new release.

It gets messier with every release.. I was diehard d1 player, and played most of 2s content, but with vastly differing hours played.

Bungo kills fun

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just going to tell you this. Raiding is not fun mostly just tedious.
Don't listen to this. Raids are some of the best parts of the game. Obviously its all dependent on you doing it with nice, patient people (and they are out there).

Some of my favourite moments in all of gaming have come from Destiny's raids.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also worth saying, alongside all the November Beyond Light suggestions, that expansion will be on Game Pass at launch too. You'll get the base game and every expansion on November 10th, including the brand new one day one.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn`t wait till the next Add On is out LhommeCornichon because you won`t be able to play the campaign and two DLCs. I´d recommend starting this month and playing through the content that will be cut in November. It´s fun and you don`t need to grind for anything, just enjoy the story driven stuff.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the content getting cut you can do as a solo experience. I personally cannot agree with skipping out on the content till Beyond Light. Unless you got other titles you're REALLY trying to get through... play the stuff that is getting vaulted/removed (which are mostly single player campaigns and relatively quick to knock out)

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
The gameplay is great, but the game itself is a confusing mess. Still doing random stuff is kinda fun. Pity they never managed to structure the game properly.

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
I wouldn`t wait till the next Add On is out LhommeCornichon because you won`t be able to play the campaign and two DLCs. I´d recommend starting this month and playing through the content that will be cut in November. It´s fun and you don`t need to grind for anything, just enjoy the story driven stuff.
This.

You lose nothing by jumping in now and getting your feet wet early. You'll earn materials, weapons, and gear that will be useful for the next update. And you'll get to experience some things before they get cut from the game.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It is always a bad time to start. There is never a good time to through your life away.
I dropped in with the las two expansions and even got the deluxe edition of shadowkeep. Whatever you do, don't get the deluxe edition of destiny expansions ever. They are just season passes for their 'seasons' and those last seasons have been abysmal. They are just some FOMO scheme.
Try it out in free to play mode as far as it let's you and don't buy the expansions until you've exhausted the free stuff and are still enjoying the game enough to go on (or if you have the money to piss away).
Shadowkeep was very light on content and now they are also removing content with the little they are adding. So, I am not joining with the new stuff.
I am finally free of this mess.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It might be fun to do just the Red War main campaign. You can play through it in a few evenings and it will be gone soon. It also has some pretty cool missions so I would argue its worth it before its deleted.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I've been playing the game for years. They've definitely have done better at having new people get more immersed into the world. I'd say jump in whenever you want. Xbox game pass gives you a lot of the current content. Definitely have a squad to play with... you get burned out on the game if you solo. If you need people to help out, ERA has a good community.
Yeah that depends on the person.
My friends are hardly ever around to play + I play on Xbox which means like next to no one on this forum plays there. I made the switch to Xbox from PlayStation around Rise of Iron. So I play solo alot and it takes me a long time to get burned out. At least a year 8 months. But whenever that happensI download a Gamepass game. Play it for a day or two, and then go back to destiny.

Outside of raids I don't need anyone else becauseI can matchmake.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you played and liked the first one I would at least play through the campaign before it disappears. If Forsaken is disappearing too that one's worth playing through as well

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why not. If the Red War campaign is still in, no reason not to mess around with it. Pretty fun.

You'll probably get savaged in PVP though.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Which legacy campaigns are going to be vaulted 10th of November? Do I understand correctly that it's: The Red War, Curse of Osiris and Warmind? In other words - Forsaken and Shadowkeep are staying, right?

I am playing through The Red War right now, but I don't like the graphics (playing on XOX) and would rather wait for the Series X overhaul.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Played D2 to max level at launch and now picked out up on game pass and I'm kind of lost.

Can anyone give me a couple of starter quests that will getting up and running?

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Wait for Beyond Light unless you're okay navigating a mess of shit though. If you are playing through GP no harm in trying it early.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am kinda in a similar boat.
I played D2 at launch and completed the main story, but dropped it soon after since I didnt have a fireteam to do end game content with.

I came back last week because I had an urge to play a FPS game. I went through the story campaigns for Osiris and Warmind so far. Tempted to get the latest expansions but it seems like a bad time to pick them up with the big changes right around the corner.

Not really sure what content I should be focusing on with the F2P content though.

Will probably just try to get thru some of the Year 1 raids and such before the update.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Which legacy campaigns are going to be vaulted 10th of November? Do I understand correctly that it's: The Red War, Curse of Osiris and Warmind? In other words - Forsaken and Shadowkeep are staying, right?

I am playing through The Red War right now, but I don't like the graphics (playing on XOX) and would rather wait for the Series X overhaul.
I think this what's dropping. Well it's way I'm playing now as I've all just got into Destiny 2. I plan on doing them and then wait until the XSX is out to do the rest.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait and see what current players say about the content drop in November. If it's more of the same, I'd say it's safe to stay away from it.

Oct 27, 2017
It might be fun to do just the Red War main campaign. You can play through it in a few evenings and it will be gone soon. It also has some pretty cool missions so I would argue its worth it before its deleted.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the main campaign was relegated to some tricky-to-find optional content, in lieu of just dumping you in the Tower in a sea of icons. By all means they should let new players choose to skip it if they have friends playing who can directly show them the ropes, but for it not to be the default flow seems insane. It's not like FFXIV where the base campaign is this bloated 100 hour fetch-quest nightmare, it's a tight 8 hour story that's fun in its own right.

I guess I've answered my own question there - it's presumably so tight and fun that hitting the GaaS grind after finishing it is like slamming into a brick wall, and was pushing players away (I know that was the case for me back near launch).

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
For the life of me, I can't figure out why the main campaign was relegated to some tricky-to-find optional content, in lieu of just dumping you in the Tower in a sea of icons. By all means they should let new players choose to skip it if they have friends playing who can directly show them the ropes, but for it not to be the default flow seems insane. It's not like FFXIV where the base campaign is this bloated 100 hour fetch-quest nightmare, it's a tight 8 hour story that's fun in its own right.

I guess I've answered my own question there - it's presumably so tight and fun that hitting the GaaS grind after finishing it is like slamming into a brick wall, and was pushing players away (I know that was the case for me back near launch).

yeah its a weird choice. To be honest, I really enjoyed the 'Vanilla' D2 experience since it was a step up from D1 on many fronts. I'm replaying it now because I'm kinda bummed it will be gone soon.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I'd wait until November. Realistically if you started now, you would pick up a ton of quests that may or may not be worth your time when the expansion hits. You would benefit by starting from scratch with a far more focused and relevant set of content.

That said, the game is great fun. So if you're in the mood to shoot aliens, get into it. Just be conscious that alot of the content you'll run through will be obselete in a few weeks.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd wait, I tried to jump back in again recently and even as someone who has actually played the game quite a bit (but not so much this year) it's a mess trying to figure out what to do, it doesn't help that the season pass has now brought in quests which they like throwing at you and since you're unsure what things you're supposed to be doing, most of the missions the game tells you about just lead you to a dead end of "buy the season pass to continue".

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'd wait, I tried to jump back in again recently and even as someone who has actually played the game quite a bit (but not so much this year) it's a mess trying to figure out what to do, it doesn't help that the season pass has now brought in quests which they like throwing at you and since you're unsure what things you're supposed to be doing, most of the missions the game tells you about just lead you to a dead end of "buy the season pass to continue".

This is my POV too. I recently jumped back in after being obsessed with the game up until the second expansion (so missed Forsaken and Shadowkeep) and CHRIST I don't know what's going on. It's a mess of quests, legacy quests... just incomprehensible for somebody who hasn't been keeping up with the content.

I really hope Beyond Light really is a reset, it sorely needs it.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure what content I should be focusing on with the F2P content though.

I'd say to target any D2 Y1/F2P exotic quests you still have to knock out (Make sure you get your Whisper of the Worm at the very least if you haven't), give the Seasons of Arrival content a go in the tower (Which will get you on the path for two more very fun exotics). I think that starts on Io. And maybe try to see some of the raids that are leaving the game. Leviathan, Scourge of the Past and Eater of Worlds are pretty easy to work through with a group that knows what they're doing, and you can typically find pretty chill groups at the DestinyERA discord, but I forget who you should DM to get in there nowadays.

While you're doing all this stuff, you'll gain experience for your season pass. At rank 30 you'll get the Falling Guillotine which is huge right now, and at rank 35 you'll unlock the third exotic of the season with the Witherhoard. From there you can go back and try to farm the Anarchy raid exotic from Scourge of the Past, try to farm better rolls of weapons from the seasonal event, and maybe check in every so often on the Festival of the Lost when you build up a big reserve of cipher decoders.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Unless you have a regular friend group who actively play the game (and keep up with your rate of progress), it's not worth it.