• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Xenophobia and racism, previous severe ban for xenophobia and defending sexualization of minors
Plenty of countries around the world don't share our values. Is it fair for us to blame, say, a Middle Eastern or Eastern European citizen for having regressive views when their whole society has those views and pushes for them? Is it fair to blame a Chinese citizen for believing the CCP? We know our values are superior to theirs but so did the missionaries that went into "uncivilized" places.
I know this is a very cismale white take but we're not going to stop the systemic bigotry in those countries by yelling at individuals who just grew up in their value systems. It feels like we're mostly just sending the message that people from less progressive countries should just not talk freely on the internet since we'll jump on open statements but we won't go like "90% of that country is homophobic, we should assume someone from there is a homophobe until proven otherwise" so silence will always be in your favor. And since the people who actually talk without a PR agent filtering everything for them tend to be smaller people we're just beating down on regular folks, not the leaders who might actually get change done.

The current event that brought this to mind was a Factorio dev (Czech) saying "fuck cancel culture" when pointed at the awful personal views of Uncle Bob (who's very much still an authority in software development despite being a shit person) but there have been other cases of devs from regressive countries speaking out with a matching regressive view and getting dogpiled for it in the past.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing when the title replies to its own question. Not only it reeks of imperialism but also of racism.
Also fuck your "western values", implying values from west are good and from other places are bad.
Most wars in the 20 and 21st centuries have been done for the sake of western values and countless of people killed for them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Maybe let the people who live in those countries fight those battles

OP
OP
KDR_11k

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's amazing when the title replies to its own question. Not only it reeks of imperialism but also of racism.
Also fuck your "western values", implying values from west are good and from other places are bad.
Most wars in the 20 and 21st centuries have been done for the sake of western values and countless of people killed for them.
Sorry, I was thinking of western progressive values here, the kind we look for in this forum. I rephrase things too much in my own head and then forget which parts I've written down and which ones not.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I cannot tell if this is a joke or not
The phrasing may be unfortunate, but the underlying point can be argued, objectively. E.g.:

maps.reproductiverights.org

The World's Abortion Laws - Center for Reproductive Rights

Have a question? Get in touch directly Take it with you Download attachment: The World's Abortion Laws Mission The Center for Reproductive Rights uses the

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Due to the framing and wide-ranging conflation of issues in the OP, this thread is closed to further replies

Status
Not open for further replies.