• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It does appear that Sony is intent on giving this every chance to make the same splash mgs1 did. They recognize that game early and pushed it heavily to great effect.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do people realize that this game not selling as much as Spider-Man doesn't mean it's going to be niche? It's going to be a heavily marketed Sony flagship title made to sell PS4s this holiday season. And it's made by the creator of Metal Gear Solid.

The concern trolling for this game is actually fucking nuts.
"Guys, will this game with tens of millions of dollars worth of paid marketing made by one of the most well known developers in the gaming industry starring movie stars with some of the best real-time visuals ever and is also an open world game as well as a console exclusive be niche?"

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
laugh62jek.gif

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It will be a critical and commercial hit, but have a very divisive reception from the gaming public.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I think sales will be similar to the MGS games, so I expect it to sell very well.

May 17, 2019
While we are here, I have a question; Why do all Sony games look the same? Same lighting, same style, same bombastic, no real differentiation?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It seemed like an action open world game from what the trailer showed, but I don't think there's enough uninterrupted gameplay video of the game to make definitive statements about what it doesn't have and isn't going to have. I don't think it'll be hard to market the game based on Kojima as the creator of Metal Gear/Solid and the stars in the game to the audience that enjoys the sorts of games that Sony has released this generation.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The game will sell 5 million copies. I think it'll be a hit and not niche.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've learned to not take people's word on the internet in regards to how a big a property can be.

Remember when no one would go see a movie with a talking raccoon?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not but I hope so. I also hope it's not a pastiche like the majority of Kojima's older games and more broad in its weird fiction rather than Lovecraft inspired. I don't expect to get anything I hope for.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its a november release and will likely get a fuckton of marketing

Oct 30, 2017
Is this a serious question?

We are talking here about a game given birth by Kojima and Sony lolz XD

This will sell millions and be a huge success both commercially and financially.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a so heavily marketed Sony game, it will sell gangbangers. If trash (excuse the language) like Days Gone call sell this will too.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm taking the bet that Death Stranding will sell better than Jedi Fallen Order. DS will be huge.
Eh...

Death Stranding is going to do insanely well, it's a first-party Sony game after all. But let's not kid ourselves, it's not touching Jedi Fallen Order in any universe. Jedi Fallen Order is a multiplatform Star Wars game while Death Stranding is exclusive to a single platform and doesn't have nearly the same amount of mainstream appeal as Star Wars.

Excited for both, though! We truly eating good come this fall.

giphy.gif

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's going to be huge. Sony's marketing machine is in peak form right now, and I can't see them dropping the ball on this at all.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It's not going to be niche if Sony doesn't want it to be. After Days Gone, I'm convinced Sony can squeeze millions out of any Sony published 3rd person title if they put a marketing budget behind it.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
It's going to be the nichiest game ever made. People will forget about it tomorrow after Call of Duty is unveiled. Sorry.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'll say this though. If I were a Sony exec, I'd be a little nervous about releasing a new, unproven IP with a cryptic premise like Death Stranding in a busy month like November.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It'll sell well but I wouldn't be surprised if the general reception is mixed, and it's releasing in a busy month. Though it's hard to gauge with what they've shown so far.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't really be 'niche' by the strict definition of the word but there's no doubt it'll be incredibly divisive.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the game's gonna sell a lot.

The content itself might be divisive when everything's said and done though.

Oct 25, 2017
I said this at the other thread and I will say it again: Kojima is not niche.
He is probably the only dev anyone that isn't super into video games can actually name. He is a celebrity and other celebrities name drop him.
He is not niche.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
If it weren't for Kojima's near celebrity status and Metal Gear Solid, I definitely think it would be.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it won't. I don't understand the few comments saying that the lack of a combat focused loop and a strong "bad ass" main character is somehow a detriment.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

It doesn't have to sell 10 million to not be considered niche. It won't sell Spider-Man or GoW levels but it'll sell some 5 million or so.

Oct 29, 2017
I bet you can ask the right person who is not into PC games or RTS they will tell you that Warcraft is niche

If you ask a person who is not into Japanese rpgs they will tell you Persona is niche.

There are whole genres that are not for everyone, but you still can't call niche when they are such huge franchises.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Judging by the Youtube metrics, it's going to be a sizeable hit commercially. Sony's obviously not kidding with the marketing dollars afforded to the game. They want to make Kojima happy after all.

So no, not niche. Just because it's weird as hell doesn't mean it's niche.
Weird is a tough sell though. Can't think of one weird game that sold exceptionally well. Not something you want associated with your game, weird

Game could still sell well if they can make it appear less weird

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It'll be a critical and commercial success while also being laughably terrible and offensive like every other post MGS3 Kojima game

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a huge hit, easily.

It'll score in the 90s on all reviews sites.
It'll sell tonnes.
It'll make it into the top GOTY consideration lists and possibly even top them.

Calling it now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say yes honestly.

At most I expect it to do something in the region of 2-5 million sales, that's a very conservative estimate but it's the minimum I think it should shoot for.

Doubt it'll be doing God of War numbers.

And the gameplay will definitely perplex so many people, especially if it's geared towards non-lethal gameplay.

I do think it'll get critically acclaimed reviews and earn a lot of GOTY nods or at least honourable mentions for being different.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
No, it well do quite well unless it somehow ends up being broken garbage. I think how sucessful it's going to be will be dependent on the multiplayer aspect. I could see that potentially taking off and helping push sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.