• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is cryptocurrency a net positive for the world?

• positive

Votes: 115 12.1%
  • negative

Votes: 756 79.6%
  • about even

Votes: 79 8.3%

• Total voters

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Until cryptocurrencies move beyond being used for speculative trading, I don't see how it's not a net negative.

Jun 10, 2018
It's virtually the embodiment of rampant unchecked capitalism: the pursuit of money at the expense of the environment.

So fuck no its far from a positive.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like we have a similar thread weekly now. It's going to be a interesting year as it reaches mainstream adoption.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I would be indifferent to it and honestly good for people making extra cash but with the energy drain negative

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like defi is massive. Finance controlled by protocols and blockchain instead of banks. That's a better future

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Math-based protocols, cryptographically secured, are obviously a part of the future. They are more transparent, more auditable, more decentralized and accessibly to everyone, either you were born in mozambique, spain, canada or taiwan. The positivity of it is huge.
Stop looking at crypto as bitcoin or, worse, doge.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Net loss thus far. Eventually blockchain tech will be used for worthwhile things and the most egregious energy hogs will hopefully go away, but thus far it's mostly been mostly the bad stuff with few of the potential benefits.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think it's still too early to tell how positive it will/won't be. The concept of a decentralized currency fascinates me but we still have a long way to go before it's widely adopted by corporations/governments.

Blockchain tech is the huge positive here imo

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
This thread made me switch my investment out of Bitcoin into Cosmos coins (ATOMS). I just don't like the idea of proof-of-work.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The justifications for obvious harmful technologies which have 'potential future benefits' are always fun to see.
Drones were a great idea btw. Can't wait to see what they're used for in the future. When Boston Dynamics robots have guns installed on em that might be bad, but we can get more good memes out of those funny guys. That's a benefit.

hell, the first thing they did with nuclear energy was make a rather scary bomb

Last edited:

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Bitcoin is a massive Ponzi scheme that does not have significant underlying value. Its value is in the influence of those holding it convincing those not holding it to buy. If you ride the speculative wave to the top, hop off, and make some money, good for you. But there's going to be a ton of people left holding the bag.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think destroying Visa and Mastercard, and working towards a level of anonymity/lack of centralised editorial control in transactions akin to cash are net positives, but I don't think any of the solutions are quite there yet.

Perhaps they have to happen. But god, as long as Mastercard dies in a fire.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bitcoin is a massive Ponzi scheme that does not have significant underlying value. Its value is in the influence of those holding it convincing those not holding it to buy. If you ride the speculative wave to the top, hop off, and make some money, good for you. But there's going to be a ton of people left holding the bag.

😂

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Negative. Somehow crypto mixes pyramid schemes about "the next big thing" where there's dozens of competitors, late-stage capitalism as its rationalized as the only route to prosperity, and the climate crisis by drawing energy into it that's akin to countries.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the current damage it's doing right now to the environment - and that those numbers will only get bigger: it's a huge negative imho.
51tAbTK.png

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
do you think, is cryptocurrency worth all the effort put into it
I'm going to play devil's advocate here because many ppl have mentioned it's negative environmental impact which should not be understated BUT their are several nations in the world that would benefit significantly if the population has acessses to Bitcoin. I think of the average Nigerian household and how useless their currency has become since covid became a thing. For them, cryptocurrency is the better option for doing business while actually having buying power around the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really think of any positives. It made a lot of money for some people, so that's a positive to those people but the environmental cost is a huge negative for everyone else.

Last edited:

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Libertarians slowly rediscovering why financial regulations exist, at the cost of the environment.

No thanks.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I guess my question about Bitcoin is does it HAVE to be tied to mining? Because based purely on the energy consumption I'd say no to it, although I'm skeptical towards crypto in general.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
I think destroying Visa and Mastercard, and working towards a level of anonymity/lack of centralised editorial control in transactions akin to cash are net positives, but I don't think any of the solutions are quite there yet.

Perhaps they have to happen. But god, as long as Mastercard dies in a fire.

Both Mastercard and Visa is adopting Blockchain..

Visa B2B Connect

www.mastercard.com

Why Mastercard is bringing crypto onto its network

By directly supporting select digital assets, we are enabling many more merchants to accept cryptocurrency and giving people more ways to save, store and spend money.

Paypal: https://news.bitcoin.com/paypal-launches-business-unit-dedicated-to-cryptocurrency/

It doesn't stop there:

EBSI (European Blockhain Services Infrastructure) https://ec.europa.eu/cefdigital/wiki/display/CEFDIGITAL/EBSI

LACChain: https://www.lacchain.net/home?lang=en

SIAchain: https://www.sia.eu/en/innovation/siachain

And the company allowing all of these networks to communicate freely: Quant Network with their Overledger Blockhain operating system: https://quant.network

Everyone just focusing on the negative aspect of Bitcoin's energy usage is really missing the plot.
Blockchain brings an unprecedented connectivity, openness and trust to an antiqued financial system.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of currency not intertwined to a geographic location is certainly interesting as a concept.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I think of the average Nigerian household and how useless their currency has become since covid became a thing. For them, cryptocurrency is the better option for doing business while actually having buying power around the world.
This makes little sense as the price inflation of bitcoin would've exactly the same result as currency inflation with the added effect of effectively concentrating wealth in a few single accounts and no power to print additional money to distribute.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The technology is cool and it's nice to have a trading platform that isn't entirely controlled by big banks and financial institutions.

On the other hand, it's instead controlled by the founders, early adopters who hold enough coins to control the market, and shady websites who may someday abruptly disappear with all your money.

More downsides include:
- incredible energy waste on mining
- hardware drain from people buying video cards for mining
- the sheer obnoxiousness of the general community
- the way some people who get rich from crypto wind up insufferable, at least partly because of said community
- the way crypto in general is used for many shady dealings
- a subset of malware these days now involves inserting crypto miners into unsuspecting computers.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Now try to combine that with KYC for instance? If the purpose of the crypto is directly opposed to regulation, then you have an issue.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/yassineARK/status/1360343382556483587?s=20

Good thread on why bitcoin energy consumption is trivial compared to current legacy financial systems.
But it is not doing any of the things that are requested from current legacy financial systems... It will have to do all of that on top of current energy consumption. Stuff like storing years of data will also need to be done by BTC if it is supposed to be a serious thing. Also it is a terrible thread, it is making basic excuses that aren't correct.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
https://twitter.com/yassineARK/status/1360343382556483587?s=20

Good thread on why bitcoin energy consumption is trivial compared to current legacy financial systems.

Someone already posted it, and we already had a good laugh at it.

There are a lot of people with vested interest in Bitcoin succeeding because they are essentially the "old money". The ones who bought in at $100US or less per coin, the ones who are hoarding billions of dollars worth of the "currency", whose wealth is predicated on the idea that Bitcoin's value only goes up. And those who hope they aren't too late to jump on the ride, making pennies in the process but serving to further increase the wealth of the early adopters.

Why would we choose to buy into a system where the wealth has already been allocated to the 1%?

Blockchain technology in general may find a use, but Bitcoin as it is has too much baggage to be seriously considered the "future", when there are so many alternatives that offer the same benefits, if not more so that Bitcoin, but at a fraction of the environmental cost.

Last edited:

Oct 29, 2017
I think digital monetary transactions that can offer the anonymity of cash are very important, but it seems like crypto currencies are in a weird place right now with the mining and speculation.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone that thinks bitcoin will be used as a currency for everyday stuff actually thought about what it would mean if your bread costs almost 400% more in a year?

Last time i checked no one thinks venezuela is a good currency model

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Both Mastercard and Visa is adopting Blockchain..

Visa B2B Connect

www.mastercard.com

Why Mastercard is bringing crypto onto its network

By directly supporting select digital assets, we are enabling many more merchants to accept cryptocurrency and giving people more ways to save, store and spend money.

Parasites always try to cling on to new hosts but it doesn't mean they'll succeed or are even really trying.

Now try to combine that with KYC for instance? If the purpose of the crypto is directly opposed to regulation, then you have an issue.

It's pretty important to have currency and currency transfer where KYC does not apply IMO. KYC is a source of a lot of discrimination and states/large banks have repeatedly shown they can't be trusted with it.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's complicated. I'm buying in because, well, I see it as an investment oppertunity. People are getting rich off of it. I don't want to be left behind. I think it can be positive if it becomes something that replaces the entire monetary system but that's a big ask. Consider all the power that the financial sector takes up, if you replace that with the blockchain, which is often run with mining farms that use solar energy and the like (though obviously not always), that could be a benefit.

It's complicated.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The fundamentals of cryptocurrency are still solid and I believe we will make the necessary breakthroughs eventually, but it's impossible to deny that it is completely useless in its current iteration. A speculative bubble like BTC becoming the poster child is the worst thing that could have happened.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Someone already posted it, and we already had a good laugh at it.

There are a lot of people with vested interest in Bitcoin succeeding because they are essentially the "old money". The ones who bought in at $100US or less per coin, the ones who are hoarding billions of dollars worth of the "currency", whose wealth is predicated on the idea that Bitcoin's value only goes up. And those who hope they aren't too late to jump on the ride, making pennies in the process but serving to further increase the wealth of the early adopters.

Why would we choose to buy into a system where the wealth has already been allocated to the 1%?

Blockchain technology in general may find a use, but Bitcoin as it is has too much baggage to be seriously considered the "future", when there are so many alternatives that offer the same benefits, if not more so that Bitcoin, but at a fraction of the environmental cost.

Bingo.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
All this talk about energy in this thread. You must remember that ETH is shifting to POS. Vitalik agrees with you. He says POW is bad for the planet.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All this talk about energy in this thread. You must remember that ETH is shifting to POS. Vitalik agrees with you. He says POW is bad for the planet.

We are talking about the current state of almost all coins. Of course there are better alternatives like ETH, but it's still a bigger problem that mining is drawing power of two whole countries.

So far the whole thing has made some peolpe really rich and some people dirt poor. Most things that are bought with bitcoin are illegal so privacy works out and all and is decentralized, but it's a total net loss so far.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Sure glad we have "real" currencies like USD to rely on in which no illegal transactions ever occur.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
We are talking about the current state of almost all coins. Of course there are better alternatives like ETH, but it's still a bigger problem that mining is drawing power of two whole countries.

So far the whole thing has made some peolpe really rich and some people dirt poor. Most things that are bought with bitcoin are illegal so privacy works out and all and is decentralized, but it's a total net loss so far.

In the end most coins will die away, and when people see that ETH 2.0 works they will eventually move to POS. All this crazy electricity consumption will stop.

Yes it made people very rich but what can be done now? Government currencies made the rich very rich too via QE. The problem is we have hyper-inflation in some countries and negative rates which will made the poor poorer. If you were Venezuelan, would you rather have had lots of Bolivar or a small amount of BTC?

Perhaps what could be done is create a new fairly distributed POS crypto which can't be hyper-inflated by any entity.

Cons of crypto: bad distribution, energy costs, hard to secure, inability to create more to redistribute wealth unless there is some on chain voting system.

Cons of fiat: government hyper-inflation or unfair QE, governments use it to start wars.

I don't claim to know the answers buy we can't look at the cons of crypto and ignore the cons of fiat.