• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I've been in an Alien mood for about a week now and today's Scorn trailer from Inside Xbox prompted me into doing a little wikipedia scrolling and whatnot regarding Alien, Alien Isolation and Creative Assembly. The latter is the page that striked me the most since while reading it I started thinking "Wow, this team would suit perfectly as part of Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios!". I was very intrigued when I reached the end of the list of games made by Creative Assembly since after Alien Isolation, they have shifted their focus towards PC games, something Microsoft clearly has dear to their heart. The only exception in the past 6 years was Halo Wars 2, a game made using a MS IP and that was released on Xbox One on top of PC.
creative-assembly_835p.1280.jpg
xbox-game-studios-logo.jpg

Alien Isolation also fits the ideal of strong single player experiences Phil Spencer has been pursuing to make the Xbox lineup more enticing so they could either license Alien from Disney (imho it'd be a massive get for Xbox) or come up with a new franchise entirely. Creative Assembly is also set in the UK, which would come in handy if the opportunity to co-develop or simply support development came up from the likes of Playground Games, Ninja Theory or Rare.

c4f9bd46734b5b38ceac40eab4b5339f.jpg

Of course this is all speculation, I wouldn't go as far as to call likely this purchase with no evidence, it'd be kind of a first for Xbox in the current generation to purchase a team owned by another publisher (SEGA), even going back by a few generations the Rare purchase doesn't fall under this category since Microsoft bought the 51% share that wasn't owned by Nintendo. However I find the possibility quite intriguing and I'm sure Microsoft would want to take it into consideration. Do you feel like Creative Assembly would be a good get for Microsoft ? Do you think this kind of purchase is feasible?

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, SEGA Is for sure going to sell their biggest (nearly 700 devs) and most profitable studio they own.

CA shifted their focus on PC? They've been a PC only studio for three decades and sometimes they make multiplatform games

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Total War is such a gargantuan sales monster on Steam, I think the price would be massive. They might be SEGA's most profitable studio

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why would SEGA sell what is arguably their ace studio now?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you live in a world where Total War is not a massive successful franchise maybe.

Sega's PC stuff, particularly the strategy genre, is a HUGE chunk of their revenue. There's no way it makes much real sense.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Aren't they owned by Sega?

EDIT: Oh, I guess acknowledge this later in your post. What a weird question then.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What is up with this forum and wanting every studio to be purchased by one of the big 3? Fucking stop.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega would be stupid to give up Total War, which is a very successful series

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i think it matters a lot less about whether it's a 'logical purchase' for microsoft because you can basically make any argument for what purchase would be 'logical'

would it be logical for sega to let go of CA? not really?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't think you're argument is wrong, they'd be a good get for anyone.

The team I'm surprised MS specifically hasn't picked up is Bloober, they have now worked with them twice on exclusivity (Blair Witch and The Medium), they're a small up and coming team, they'd probably be cheap right now, and it would give them an entire genre they haven't really had before.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No. That would hurt Sega and maybe Creative Assembly. I know people love Alien Isolation a lot, but they are mostly the company that makes Total War games and will continue to do so.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Every publisher needs a studio it can count on to release games that will sell a consistent number of copies; studios that have an audience and a sustainable business model.

Creative Assembly is exactly what Sega has needed these past years - and has emboldened the company's growing interest in the PC space overall. I can't imagine Sega parting with them for anything.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Creative Assembly is in need of being purchased.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep bringing up MS acquisitions? Booty has said several times they are in execution mode. There has been no rumblings whatsoever of acquisitions (from solid, verified sources). Booty has had multiple public appearances to even slightly hint at expansion and hasn't.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, CA isn't going anywhere unless SEGA decides they hate money and love irrelevance...

...you know what? Let's call it a maybe!

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
What is up with this forum and wanting every studio to be purchased by one of the big 3? Fucking stop.
Yeah, acquisition masturbation sucks.

If we're talking about a studio struggling to accomplish their vision let alone stay opened, that's justifiable. Wishing for the rest - companies that are super successful and don't need 'support' from being owned, like CDPR - is console warring crap.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're argument is wrong, they'd be a good get for anyone.

The team I'm surprised MS specifically hasn't picked up is Bloober, they have now worked with them twice on exclusivity (Blair Witch and The Medium), they're a small up and coming team, they'd probably be cheap right now, and it would give them an entire genre they haven't really had before.
I don't thi k Blair Witch is exclusive to MS so very likely Medium is timed as well

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
MS' acquisition strategy seems to be buying smaller, independent developers and building them up.

Creative Assembly are fairly big and already owned by a publisher who would very much like to keep them, so I can't see a purchase happening. No reason they can't hire them for projects though.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
To put into perpesctive CA has since 2015 launched a total war game major game EVERY SINGLE YEAR as alongside 2-3 DLC for their most popular games.
Since 2015 CA has only created 1 console game (halo wars 2).

While you may know CA from alien isolation, truth be told their quality is in their strategy games.

May 5, 2018
Sega won't allow Microsoft to buy the developer that's provided Sega it's #1 source of income. Sega can't afford to lose CA when they've been very successful making the TW games for them. Granted CA and Relic (also owned by Sega) have a history of making games for Microsoft w/ CA making Halo Wars 2 and Relic currently making Age of Empires 4. But I don't think Sega will allow Microsoft to buy CA just to make another Alien Isolation or have CA make PC games as well.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Total War is good as it is plus CA even makes their games compatible with Mac and Linux.
Why would anyone ever let Microsoft own them?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CA is one of sega's biggest cash cows. looking at their earnings reports, they generate basically more money than most of the rest of the company. They are a huge reason sega is profitable.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't thi k Blair Witch is exclusive to MS so very likely Medium is timed as well
Blair Witch was timed yeah but what I'm saying why pay for timed exclusivity possibly both times when the team is so small now and has such large potential long term, it seems like something they should've pulled the trigger on. It fits nearly every category they seem to be looking for when it comes to studio purchases.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To put into perpesctive CA has since 2015 launched a total war game major game EVERY SINGLE YEAR as alongside 2-3 DLC for their most popular games.
Since 2015 CA has only created 1 console game (halo wars 2).

While you may know CA from alien isolation, truth be told their quality is in their strategy games.
I think people on this forum have no idea the output that CA does nowadays.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's a heck of a leap, OP. Sega has no reason to sell CA, to Microsoft or anyone else.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be more likely for Microsoft to just buy SEGA completely than for SEGA to sell Creative Assembly to them. Not that I think either option is remotely likely.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Total War is the crown jewel of Sega's PC portfolio, for the price they'd demand it would be cheaper for MS to build up their existing strategy-focused studios to compete.

EDIT: For perspective, the global top selling game/software on Steam right now is a preorder for the DLC for their 3 year old game.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
They're in no need of money and their main franchises wouldn't transfer well to consoles

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To give further context, Total War is a series that can sell DLC for their previously released game at the same time as their current, and are about to launch their newest game at the end of year. And it's relatively popular DLC too, not the type of stuff nobody buys or plays. That's pretty unheard of, especially within the same series.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Please no, we don't need another PC focused dev compromised to make games console friendly.

Thankfully I don't think it'll happen because they are likely SEGA's most successful developer right now.