• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How should I watch Cowboy Bebop

• Subbed

Votes: 202 33.7%
  • Dubbed

Votes: 398 66.3%

• Total voters

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea there were people out there who insist on watching Bebop dubbed. I know people like it, but recommending it so highly over the sub? I had no idea.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I have a dub bias but the dub for this anime is superior. Still, can't go wrong with the sub, its great. Your reasoning for not liking dub a little goofy though, just a little. It ain't that serious.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its one of the few where the Dub is fine. That said, the original actors are pretty much perfect, and Ed might really annoy you in the dub.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Cowboy Bebop is heavily influenced by American popular culture, so you should watch it in English.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck no it's not. Faye's original voice is awful.
Hahaha, no.

Faye drunk

I'm sorry, but Wendee just can't keep up with Megumi. Megumi's slightly-drunken Faye is ironic, bemused, distant, unfazed by bad fortune, unexcited by good fortune. Wendee seems to be trying for the same flavor, but misses the mark badly. As with Lucas doing Spike, Wendee's Faye sounds far too genki. When Gren tells her that there are no women in the town, and Faye replies, "So then I'll be very popular," Megumi's delivery is dry and bemused; there is a huge ironic gulf between the words she is saying, and how she feels about them. Wendee misses this entirely, her delivery of the line makes her sound enthusiastic about the prospect.

And finally, Faye is *drunk*! Megumi's performance reflects this. Her voice is slightly slurred, her thinking is fuzzy around the edges, her emotions are dulled and somewhat defocused. Wendee misses this completely, she plays Faye as cold sober.
The entire post is well worth reading.

Please go for the original Japanese dub.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm not sure I really understand what your concern is. What consequences are you worried there will be if you consume Bebop the "wrong" way?

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
No, OP, it's not safe. Once you've been exposed to Kouichi Yamadera's superior Spike you'll never be able to see eye to eye with the legions of Steve Blum truthers who claim his adequate take on the character to be the definitive one. Once you choose Norio Wakamoto as your Vicious, you can never go back. You'll forever look at the results of this poll with a tinge of bittersweet regret and disappointment. To watch Cowboy Bebop subbed is to be condemned to an eternity of english fandom lies and propaganda. It is an arduous, perilous road reserved only to those with the strongest of wills. If you, however, extol the virtues of truth and justice in the face of adversity, then there is only one correct choice. Are you gonna carry that weight, OP?

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop is one of few anime where I actually prefer the English dub to the original Japanese. Both are great but the dub is fantastic.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
All time great dub, the creators even prefer it.

Save the subs for a rewatch.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
The dub was only remarkable for being decent at a time when most dubbing was awful. By modern standards it's decent at best. The average dub now is higher quality just because there's more and better talent around. Either way, the sub is the best option.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Don't let these people fool you. The sub is NOT safe! It was once watched by a group of friends and each one of them went on a rampage the next day. Some people say it's because of the pcp and lsd found in their systems. But it was the subtitles!!!

Seriously though, either is fine. I prefer the dub but I understand your reasoning and it won't be any less enjoyable.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of this comes from people watching it that way on Toonami. It's a good dub, but the original voice cast is excellent.

I guess the right answer is "you probably won't go wrong with either," but I'd say go Subbed, personally.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Choose care fully. You can only choose one and if you change your mind, the show will blow up.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Guys, the OP hasn't posted in a while. I think he might have made the mistake of watching it subbed.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only anime I have ever watched dubbed. I still remember some lines from the hilarious mushroom episode.
"Brother, get outta my way!" says the lady shooting the bazooka on the train.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So I am interested in watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time soon and I have a problem. Most of my Friends over the years Have told me the Dub is really good and i should watch the Dub over the Sub.

The issue is Watching Anime (or any foreign media really) Dubbed Makes me extremely uncomfortable. I can't stand things not having the original actors

Live action Dubs are unwatchable for me . Anime and other animated Dubs are very hard to get used to if watching dubbed. Video games are the only media I suffer through Dubs because Playing and reading subtitles is too Hard.

Is the Bebop Sub that much worse than the Dub? should I try to get used to the Dub?

If the quality is close I wan't to watch it subbed.

P.S. when do I watch the Movie?

Dubbed for this is better than subbed here just like it was in Black Lagoon(even the creator thinks so) as well as Death Note.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The dub is very god.

But before this thread hypes it up as unimpeachable perfection--I mean, it's damn close.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What an odd thread lol. If you want to watch sub just go for it.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Most people are going to favor the dub because that's what they watched first (and I can't deny I watched the sub first) but I prefer the sub version for the following reasons, all of which are admittedly pretty subjective:

-Yamadera's smooth guy voice is much better fit for smooth guy Spike than Blum's sassy tough guy froggy voice
-Hayabashira's Faye comes across as more scrappy and youthful, which is a good fit for the character, whereas Wendee Lee's sounds like a Brand X Fujiko from Lupin III
-Literally nobody has ever done a better job voice acting anything compared to Norio Wakamoto (Vicious). Never. Ever ever.

Out of the dub cast, Jet and Ed are the ones who I feel are as good or better than the originals. Not that I think the Bebop is dub, relative to other anime dubs, BAD, but it's not as out and out superior as people might try to make you think.

Now you wanna talk about a dub that trounces the Japanese language version, let me tell you about Macross Plus...

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Oh yeah, if you want to watch more Watanabe anime after Bebop: most subs and dubs are fine, but Space Dandy is legit better when you watch the English dub.
In any other circumstance, I wouldn't really care which way someone would prefer to watch an anime. Like Bebop's dub is fantastic but I wouldn't care if someone didn't bother with the dub and watched it subbed. But choosing not to watch Dandy dubbed is doing a complete disservice to yourself. Ian Sinclair is 1000% Dandy.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, if you want to watch more Watanabe anime after Bebop: most subs and dubs are fine, but Space Dandy is legit better when you watch the English dub.
Kids on the Slope has a godawful Steven Foster dub, so avoid that like the plague.

The blu-ray is also unfortunately dub-titled.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The original sub is fine, but the dub actively elevates the work. It also, for the most part, has actors who are much better suited to the roles they are playing. There's a definite feeling that the casting director actively pursued talent that was able to match a voice to an attitude, whereas in the sub it feels more like they just threw in whatever good VA they had access to and called it a day. As a result the sub actors are technically completely competent, but in a lot of cases honestly sound somewhat miscast.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
The original sub is fine, but the dub actively elevates the work. It also, for the most part, has actors who are much better suited to the roles they are playing. There's a definite feeling that the casting director actively pursued talent that was able to match a voice to an attitude, whereas in the sub it feels more like they just threw in whatever good VA they had access to and called it a day. As a result the sub actors are technically completely competent, but in a lot of cases honestly sound somewhat miscast.
Yes, the characters are quite different in the sub and the dub. And I can see why you'd feel like the Japanese VAs were poorly cast if you're used to the portrayal of the English dub. But it's the other way around.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Fecking anime loving weebs on my forum? Shameful.

Watch the dubbed version, it's one of the best alongside certain other unnamed cyberpunk properties that also feature Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.