• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it is just my opinion, and also a hot take about something controversial and popular, but I need to voice it because everyone has to voice their opinions about this, and I find this discussion in particular to be quite compelling.

There is a discussion that has returned again when The Last of Us Part II became the monster of controversy that it is now: "are video games art?". Most times, I feel like this discussion will never reach a conclusion, because it more often than not hides different questions, like "what is art?" or "does art need to be mature?". Realistically speaking, if someone believes games are not art, it's not a new game that will convince them otherwise. It will most certainly be an introspective reflection of the medium.

I currently study a great novel of the last century called Ulysses, by a dude called James Joyce. And as many people know, that thing is also very divisive. Paulo Coelho said it is harmful to literature. Virginia Woolf called it a mess. Heck, it was banned in a lot of countries for being too obscene. An anarchist bomb, as Kevin Birmingham would say. But that being said, among most scholars, and also most people who are familiar with literature, Ulysses is still art. Even if they have not read it, the presumption is that it just is art. And most who read it don't think some things should have been changed (you just don't see people saying that Molly shouldn't have cheated on Leopold, or that Proteus shouldn't have been written the way it was), and of course, that also happens with poetry, and even young fiction, usually, but that is a literature thing: most people respect the work enough to understand that it just is, and should not have been something else. This happens more with movies and newer books, and I guess this is a consequence of the mindset that the reader/watcher/player is entitled to what the work is and what it should be. And maybe the weirdest part: art critique is based on what things should have been in an ideal world.

But of course, Ulysses was very divisive in its environment. It criticized everything that romantic literature stood for. It made fun of the greeks, of the great canons. It made some readers feel annoyed, it made some people give up on even reading it. And most of those things were a valid criticism: some puns were extremely bad, the dichotomy between "whore" and "maiden" that Joyce wrote into Molly Bloom was problematic (especially when you consider his biography), the whimsical jewishness of Leopold Bloom was also problematic. I mean, those are some of the critiques, at least. There are several critics who read into it and interpret the novel differently. And that is just Ulysses. You can probably find even more stuff in other books, like Lolita (also good) or The Fountainhead (not as good).

And in a capitalist commercial environment such as ours, it can be hard to see games as more than just products, of course. There is even a temptation to categorize only "some" games as art (the ones that are not AAA, or just the AAA ones, or the indies, or the ones that are not reliant on mistreating employees), but that can lead to some epistemic problems: "art" then becomes a title, or category, to fit everything you like in. "Actually, the only games that are allowed to be art are the ones that have an intention behind them", or "actually, only games that are focused on being game-y are art. Games that try to be movies can't". These ideas, while "apparently" objective, miss the point of their own intentions. By trying to turn a preference into a metric, you are just turning the subjectivity of a contract into a false objectivity.

maxresdefault.jpg

And I think it's easy to agree with Adorno and apply his stuff to the gaming landscape. Thinking that the big industries with 1000 employees are bad and don't actually make art is a valid concern, I guess. But it is also so teleology-driven, isn't it? Art is not just the intention, or even the result of that intention. It also involves every materialist condition that led the art to become tangible. Even the most mass-produced, industrial product is always an expression of its time and place. If we see art less as a pedestal and more of a cultural landmark, there should be little to no difference between FIFA '14 and Proteus. One is just bigger in scope than the other, but they all have material properties, from engine development to publishing and marketing, and these material properties, manifested and produced by human labor (and exploration, of course, at least in FIFA). There are probably other things we should discuss, but in a broad sense, they are in the same artistic medium. Just like Freddy Got Fingered and Hiroshima Mon Amour (or Schindler's List. Better not make that comparison, but it should be noted that Hiroshima Mon Amour was criticized for also appearing to portray a tragedy in a trivial way), just like Trump: The Art of the Deal and Giovanni's Room, just like Justin Bieber and Miles Davis. The difference is all in the interpretation inside groups with subjective resonances.

It is strange to me that, in a forum where we discuss from Saya no Uta to Assassin's Creed, this notion of objectivity is so prevalent. And it feels like the only thing that stops games from "being art" are the Gamers themselves (yes, with capital G). A video game shouldn't need to "be" more "game-y" to be a game. And to be art. The multiple artistic movements that encompassed literature, architecture, cinema and other arts very often were about transgression in face of hegemony. Modernism was basically that. And games very often elicit this discussion by subverting some of those notions. Games don't need to have a period of mature releases to be art. They don't even need to be fun. Or be extremely interactive. Just like novels don't need to elicit specific emotions or be linear or comprehensible (looking at you both, Finnegans Wake and Água Viva).

And like someone said in a different thread, the interpretation is probably one of the medium's biggest problems. Not in a "game journalists are bad kek" type of discourse, obviously, but in how gaming was popularized specifically in a time period where these "objective reviews" were around. You just measure something from a lower number to a bigger number and boom, there's your critique. Throw a bunch of adjectives, so that the reader may know what is "good" or "bad", or maybe, if you're feeling spicy, something in-between that spectrum. And this really sucks sometimes. Like I said, controversy is healthy. I do love me some 120 Days of Sodom, but I wish discussions about games were about how they are, and not what they were supposed to be. You don't see people saying Moonlight would be a better written film if Chiron did something different (maybe this is a thing among RedLetterMedia-like critics).

Do you guys believe video games can become art? Do you think any art needed to prove itself to be valid as a medium? Do you consume games as products or enjoy them as art? And more importantly, do you believe your favorite game is worth more as an artistic expression (not only of the artist, but of the environment around them)?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every game is art. Most art is shit. Sometimes art is good.

Controversy has no correlation to good art. Sometimes good art is controversial, sometimes bad art is controversial.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
You don't need controversy in order to have art.

Similarly, the presence of controversy doesn't necessarily elevate the art. See Hatred.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Fluck no.

These "games are art" is stupid if you only see art as controversial, and needing to be this type of game. every game can express differentideas or stories in different ways as so books, movies and paintings.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand why this "art" debate is even a fucking thing lol.

But if we have to label it as such - no, absolutely not. Galaga is as "artful" as TLOU 2 is.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not reading the thread because I havent beaten it yet. But games are art on an pure technical level. Almost everything in games is artistic and technical things we talk about here dont matter as much as we talk about it

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys believe video games can become art? Do you think any art needed to prove itself to be valid as a medium? Do you consume games as products or enjoy them as art? And more importantly, do you believe your favorite game is worth more as an artistic expression (not only of the artist, but of the environment around them)?

I think the discussion of "are video games art?" is largely a desperate attempt to seek validation for career paths or chosen hobbies under the illusion of some meaningfulness of this title being assigned by a vague arbiter of artistic absolutes. Maybe it's because mum and dad thought video games were stupid. Maybe it's because people are embarrassed. Maybe because the idea of liking something that's "arty" gives people a false sense of confidence and intellectualism they like to parade around as wisdom and experience.

It's all dumb and largely self indulgent. "Art" doesn't mean anything. Art is not assigned to anything other than creative output, and there is nothing to be gained by trying to work out if a title or the medium entirely is "art", because nobody can grant it that title and the title itself is redundant. What matters more is the discussion surrounding the artistic merits of creative output; how do we emotionally resonate with the work, what does it make us feel, and what do we learn about ourselves and the world. Sometimes it's transparent, sometimes it's abstract. Some it's its intentional, sometimes its vague. Art doesn't have to have meaning, so much as be an authentic expression of the artist(s) mind, and their ability to evoke thoughts, experiences, and ideas and have them translate to the audience. It could be something captivatingly rich and full of commentary on one thing or another, or it could be a poignant expression of a moment within the human experience we all related to, like love, or death, or grieving, or anxiety, etc.

The worst thing art can make us feel is apathetic. If we feel nothing at all, then the art has failed to emotionally resonate from us. I'd also argue that the most poignant art is that which leaves us with some sense of growth, emotionally or intellectually, that unsettles our thinking even if subconsciously and broadens our understanding of the human experience. Because through that art the artist has communicated their experience in all its rawness, and by us taking that on we are sharing in those ideals and developing empathy. For art is innately human.

If all we take away from a creative work is that it is controversial, and we use that as a merit to define it as art, I'd argue that art is probably actually pretty juvenile and of superficial worth. There has to be something richer to take away than "some people really love this, some people really don't like it". Divisiveness isn't a statement, it isn't a lesson, it isn't evocative of the artist's intent. It's just divisive opinions.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Interestingly the user score on metacritic is now up to 4.5.
It was 2 a few hours after the game released, it was 3 the following day...it's now on its way to 5.

Imagine if the game hadn't been review bombed

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
It's necessary to understand that while games are art, some are made with the primary focus of being artistic while others are made to sell. Or both. Or neither.

They're still all art, just with different priorities. In the end, the consumer will be the judge of whether the art is good or bad.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
Easy: Games are a form of art (as is cinema, music, theatre, etc)

It's not exclusive to tLoU2 or any other "cotnroversial" game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Video games are art, just like movies and music. I wouldn't agree that every game or movie is art though, some are done purely for profit without artistic purposes, though even then there's artistry behind the product. Controversy is definitely not a requirement for art.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
To answer the OP no, or GoTs final season would ge a good damned masterpiece

Just to go back to the backlash to the more outlandish claims associated with gaming criticism elevating certain games as equivalent accepted masterpieces in other mediums , just because a game is AAA , marketed heavily and positioned as an art piece doesnt make it so, some people have difficulty distinguishing marketing hype from reality

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the discussion of "are video games art?" is largely a desperate attempt to seek validation for career paths or chosen hobbies under the illusion of some meaningfulness of this title being assigned by a vague arbiter of artistic absolutes. Maybe it's because mum and dad thought video games were stupid. Maybe it's because people are embarrassed. Maybe because the idea of liking something that's "arty" gives people a false sense of confidence and intellectualism they like to parade around as wisdom and experience.

It's all dumb and largely self indulgent. "Art" doesn't mean anything. Art is not assigned to anything other than creative output, and there is nothing to be gained by trying to work out if a title or the medium entirely is "art", because nobody can grant it that title and the title itself is redundant. What matters more is the discussion surrounding the artistic merits of creative output; how do we emotionally resonate with the work, what does it make us feel, and what do we learn about ourselves and the world. Sometimes it's transparent, sometimes it's abstract. Some it's its intentional, sometimes its vague. Art doesn't have to have meaning, so much as be an authentic expression of the artist(s) mind, and their ability to evoke thoughts, experiences, and ideas and have them translate to the audience. It could be something captivatingly rich and full of commentary on one thing or another, or it could be a poignant expression of a moment within the human experience we all related to, like love, or death, or grieving, or anxiety, etc.

The worst thing art can make us feel is apathetic. If we feel nothing at all, then the art has failed to emotionally resonate from us. I'd also argue that the most poignant art is that which leaves us with some sense of growth, emotionally or intellectually, that unsettles our thinking even if subconsciously and broadens our understanding of the human experience. Because through that art the artist has communicated their experience in all its rawness, and by us taking that on we are sharing in those ideals and developing empathy. For art is innately human.

If all we take away from a creative work is that it is controversial, and we use that as a merit to define it as art, I'd argue that art is probably actually pretty juvenile and of superficial worth. There has to be something richer to take away than "some people really love this, some people really don't like it". Divisiveness isn't a statement, it isn't a lesson, it isn't evocative of the artist's intent. It's just divisive opinions.
Well said.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at what modern art is now the art community can shut the fuck up if they don't think games can be art. Their asses were fooled by a pair of glasses placed on the floor of an art gallery. They're full of shit

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The definition of 'art' is a mostly subjective idea. Some see 'art' only as something that tries to elevate or move a person through it's message and method and others see 'art' as anything that is made within a specific artistic medium. But whatever your definition of art, the existance of controversy doesn't elevate or improve the 'artfulness' of the matter.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
While I think Adorno is one of the most insightful people of the last century, and I agree with the entire premise of his concept of "Kulturindustrie", I don't see how factors like these would have an effect on whether something is or isn't art.

Sure, capitalism dictates what art is produced, by requiring it to return a profit and working within a business logic dependent on growth, which affects the entire process.
But before that we had the majority of art being produced at the mercy of royals or some kind of rich individuals, so the entire process was affected by the interests and preferences of the rich individual that bankrolled the art production.
We don't even know what art we never saw because no one with power and funds was interested in making it happen or preserving it.

At the end of the day, in my opinion, it always comes down to intention, message, and reference.
Something is art when it intentionally produces a message, however vague, and intentionally references cultural and historic aspects/norms/values, etc.
It sounds like a high bar, but it's actually pretty much impossible not to do it once you start questioning the decisions that seemed obvious.

Message and reference mean taking a position. And a position, when exposed to a big enough audience, will lead to controversy.

Fiction is always an abstraction of our own reality. The historical, societal, and political context is always reflected even in the most outlandish fiction, making it a reflection of its times.
That includes stuff like the current economics of making games. For example, the insane attention to detail in a game like TLoU2 reflects a culture of capitalist exploitation, of contemporary work ethics. The simple fact we are looking at unique animations for attaching dozens upon dozens of weapons mods tells us something about the process that lead to this media-product. It even self-references. (Dr. Uckmann card)
Its depiction of societal and subsequent moral decay reflects a contemporary Western understanding of order and morality by characterization through absence.
Its depiction of minority characters reflects contemporary moral philosophy, current political issues, and debates.
Its nihilism might just as well be interpreted as a sign of the time: At the end of a relatively stable global order that has lasted for almost a century, in the early stages of the global climate crisis. Yet it is juxtaposed with human moments so unseemly for that world.

Anyway, the controversy is a result of taking a stance and having a message. But I wouldn't see the controversy as an indicator of art.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Just look at the games that tend to draw that comparison, that get people talking about "games are art". None of those games are controversial in the way you're talking about. The most controversy they get is some people that say "Meh, I didn't like it."

And yes, I agree that all games are an outlet for artistic expression.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain why.
I've never played a game I would consider art. There are quite a few films that I consider art, but saying that all films are art seems... well inaccurate.
What you consider to be art doesn't really have any relevance. Being "art" is not special or difficult or mystical or a badge of honor. Even student films are art, they are just crude art. Art by a child that a mom puts up on the fridge - it's probably extremely crude art. Most art in the world is not good. People confuse it and think that if something is "art" then it has to be extremely profound. Not true, art can be very shallow. When it comes to video games people think for it to be art it must have a unique painterly art style. Not true, art can be realistic and it can also be generic.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I subscribe to the idea that everything that comes from a place of passion is art. Even if that passion comes from one person out of a team of hundreds or even if the art is terrible. Too many people think too highly of the word and mistake it for what would be a masterpiece.

So yeah, TLoU2 is art.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If a banana stuck to a wall can be art then games can be art.

Oct 28, 2017
What you consider to be art doesn't really have any relevance. Being "art" is not special or difficult or mystical or a badge of honor. Even student films are art, they are just crude art. Art by a child that a mom puts up on the fridge - it's probably extremely crude art. Most art in the world is not good. People confuse it and think that if something is "art" then it has to be extremely profound. Not true, art can be very shallow. When it comes to video games people think for it to be art it must have a unique painterly art style. Not true, art can be realistic and it can also be generic.

I beg to differ. What I consider art is all that matters. It's a subjective concept.

I totally agree that is a not a qualitative concept though. "Art" does not equal "good".

May 17, 2019

The fact that most people don't get this hurts my English major self

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that most people don't get this hurts my English major self
It doesnt help the marketing of games and popular media wanting to be considered as thought provoking kind of enables this kind of thinking, and is a huge contributing factor.

You will see how people arguing that games are art only considers a specific type of games (the one that happen to be marketed as art) as art.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
as others have pointed out, art doesn't actually equate any level of quality or importance. Art can be bad, forgettable, whatever.

May 17, 2019
What? If the extrapolation of this statement is that "everything is art" then "nothing is art" must also be true right?

1=1, not 1=0. There are distinctions of class, study, stature, ideology, commercialism, and intent within works, but that doesn't render them not art. Instead, it informs the type and function of the art. Art is merely a term that refers to the action of a creation, not the worth of it. Consider the existence of pop art vs high art vs commercial art.

May 7, 2020
May 17, 2019
It doesnt help the marketing of games and popular media wanting to be considered as thought provoking kind of enables this kind of thinking is a problem as well.

You see how people arguing that games are art only considered a specific kind if games (the one that happen to be marketed as art) as art.

Personally, I consider it a media literacy issue. When there isn't much exposure to a variety of work beyond that which intends to solely be "entertainment," then anything outside of that tends to throw people off. See Pathologic 2's reception

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
No, but being pretentious is what makes most of them "not art"

"Pretentiousness" is a very subjective and contemporary judgment.
Subversion of norms and expectations is what we usually define as pretentious.* Since these norms and expectations are ever-changing, what is considered pretentious by many now, might not be any more 10 years from now.

In that sense, maybe time will give an answer to what's art and what isn't. If meaning can be derived from it decades from now, it might have had something to say. As a product it has a purpose, the purpose is to generate money by entertaining people. The question is whether it can have meaning beyond its purpose.

*Off-topic, but pretentiousness and ridiculousness where some of the terms german media used to describe the Nazi movement in the 1920s. Essentially they were declared trolls. In hindsight, "pretentious" seems like one of the least fitting attributes one could give to fascists.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Art is human creativity intended to be evocative or beautiful. Games are often this, or at least a collaborative effort of different types of artists.