• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As I've gotten older, I've got less and less time to put towards gaming, so now I only spend time on games that I'm super excited about from devs I love, and Remedy is on that list. I love their world building, combat, and story telling, and for the most part, Control does this all splendidly to the part where it's in my running for GOTY.

BUT

I fucking hate this game's difficulty spikes. Like, I genuinely am at the point where I'm about ready to give up and just watch the ending on YouTube because this late mission enemy wave bullshit is just pissing me off. I've died 20 fucking times at this Heston Siphon bullshit level, and to be frank, I'm sick of putting in time to something that's just no longer fun. I love the combat, but this same level has grown fucking tedious. There's been a few difficulty spikes here and there that have been aggravating, but this has reached the point that I feel like walking away from it, and it's a shame because I genuinely find the story very engrossing.

Like, why was implementing difficulty levels just not a consideration here? I'm not so proud that if I'm not having fun that I won't lower the difficulty. I've done it in the past for a few games because I'm doing this to have fun, not to be a goddamned masochist. I've been at this level for nearly an hour, just dying and having to redo it again and again from this save point, and really, I'm just sick of it now. I don't know if I missed a mod that would help here or if I should be using a different weapon setup or what but after the high that was the Ashtray Maze, this is the lowest low of this game.

I love Remedy, I love their games, and I wanna support them, and I'll keep supporting them in the future because I love their ambition, but seriously, fuck this shit.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't consider myself a super skilled twitch gamer anymore, but I didn't have any real trouble with Control, even oneshot all the optional bosses (including the Former, though that was mostly dumb luck).
I stacked health mods and launch damage mods, a lot of fights can be solved quickly with strong offense and just having a shit ton of hp.

Edit: that being said, I really think almost all games should have difficulty and accessibility options.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a while to adjust to it because it's a shooter that relies entirely on utilizing abilities in rhythm rather than the peak-a-boo shooters we've been force fed for 15 years.

You aren't crazy, there are difficulty spikes in the game, especially for the bosses, there's all kind of cheap bullshit in the game, there's a boss that's up in the air, so you obviously have to look up, but then it destroys the ground underneath you and if you fall its a 1 hit ko.

You have to find the abilities and guns you're comfortable with and utilize your mods to enhance those.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
hah yeah only part that seemed unfair

I cheesed it. just hang back and take out difficult enemies one at a time. running back to pick up health where necessary

was time consuming but worked

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It took me a while to adjust to it because it's a shooter that relies entirely on utilizing abilities in rhythm rather than the peak-a-boo shooters we've been force fed for 15 years.

You aren't crazy, there are difficulty spikes in the game, especially for the bosses, there's all kind of cheap bullshit in the game, there's a boss that's up in the air, so you obviously have to look up, but then it destroys the ground underneath you and if you fall its a 1 hit ko.

You have to find the abilities and guns you're comfortable with and utilize your mods to enhance those.
I've upgraded Launch to max, Pierce to max, and I use these two in addition to Grip, and that's served me well, and I'm definitely comfortable with the rhythm of these three along with the dash ability and I make liberal use of flight, but I still can't push past this section and I'm just tired of trying now. It definitely leaves me feeling a bit downcast.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I think you just gotta git gud, OP.

I've only watched others play control and think OP is probably right about the difficulty spikes

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
Yeah the difficulty is pretty wayward, especially if the framerate tanks. Things are alleviated somewhat by upgrading the throw ability damage and energy/health. Upgrade Grip and the Charge gun if you can.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you using a lot of hip fire? It's probably the most generous hip fire I've ever seen in a TPS, easily beating the Uncharted series.

It's why mods that enhance headshot damage are so good, you get them like 80% of the time by hip firing.

I should mention I play it on PC, though. Some framerate issues on console probably make it harder. I don't get why they don't just drop the resolution a lot more for stable performance. My PC usually outperforms the PS4 Pro in multiplatform games, and I play this game at 720p.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Are you playing on a console?

Never had issues with any particular section of the game, but I also played on PC with extra smooth frame rate and m/kb controls

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The side bosses in the game were my least favourite parts mainly because of the weird difficulty spikes. I left a bunch of them until after the credits and, when I was maxed on most skills, I found them to be much easier. I think my frustrations with the boss fights would've been eased with a modal prompt, upon death, asking if you wanted to try again and immediately reload to the beginning of the fight.

It's still one of my favourite games this year but every time I recommend it to friends I preface it with a warning about saving the side bosses until much later in the game.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
is not really that difficult and you are kinda of a god by half game.
shitty performance are more annoying than the game itself.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Im not there yet but I am really hating the constant slowdown when theres so much happening on screen.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I enjoyed the challenge, and would often smirk at the enemy combonations, knowing that someone decided to design it like that in order to be annoying

senj

Nov 6, 2017
If youre talking about what I assume you're talking about (the Hedron chamber), then yeah, that's the single hardest part of the game. The third platform wave destroyed me a couple of dozen times easily because it's a real skill check of your shields (get them up the second one of those enemies spins down and preps to toss at you, and be prepared to dodge and float back out of range ASAP when they collapse )

it also helps if you float out of range, chip down the other enemies health with your gun, and then mind control them.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I loved, and I mean LOVED Control, but I must admit you are correct and at the very end when I was *right there* and it kept throwing waves at me.... I said fuck it and downloaded a trainer.

Also agree about those optional bosses, some places it just goes too far. Why would anyone anywhere think a boss that makes you look up but destroys the floor is a good idea?

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Agree, there is some really awful difficulty spikes towards the end of the game. The most annoying part is that you can play to almost perfection but one small mistake, or frankly even just bad luck, and your dead because of those teleporting enemies that can one shot you. And then you will have to redo multiple waves of enemys. Fuck that. The worst kind of game design.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Are you using a lot of hip fire? It's probably the most generous hip fire I've ever seen in a TPS, easily beating the Uncharted series.

It's why mods that enhance headshot damage are so good, you get them like 80% of the time by hip firing.

I should mention I play it on PC, though. Some framerate issues on console probably make it harder. I don't get why they don't just drop the resolution a lot more for stable performance. My PC usually outperforms the PS4 Pro in multiplatform games, and I play this game at 720p.
Agree with this, the generosity makes aiming down meaningless in most situations. All I need to do is spamming trigger and pay attention to health.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Control is a poorly designed and frustrating game. I stoped playing because of one of the side bosses and haven't looked back.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
hah yeah only part that seemed unfair
I cheesed it. just hang back and take out difficult enemies one at a time. running back to pick up health where necessary
was time consuming but worked
Yep, just take time and be careful. Worth noting you can always drop down to the middle and work back up if there's health there leftover from the starting enemies. I found the game's difficulty to be on-point with the exception of this and the second Tomassi fight where anything other than hiding and cheesing was rough.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I got my ass kicked in the early parts. Which kinda forced me to level up health over everything else. Eventually everything stabilized, except for those optional bosses. Fuck em all.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
That part almost made me quit the game.

I just went and did a bunch of side missions and returned to it a bit later. Still difficult especially the last one when you have a bunch of enemies of all types coming for you.

Former and the last Tomassi fight were tough as hell too

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I agree. I found it to be mostly easy (except the optional post-game
Tomassi MK2 fight
I had to cheese that one. Telekinesis is super-op, I just throw anything and everything and it usually kills enemies in one or two hits. Even bosses generally go down very quickly.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Took a while to realize which section you were talking about. Yeah, that's the worst part of the game, and the biggest issue I found with it is that the checkpoints are absolute garbage there. Fuck up once and you could be redoing half the level.

I eventually cheesed it by sniping, it works to clear out pretty much all the enemies and you can easily mo. If your Pierce is fully upgraded you should be able to get through with a little patience, though it can get pretty nerve-wracking when you're near the end knowing one slight fall will set you back a ton.

In general, part of what made that section hard for me was that the rest of the game, you're encouraged to make use of your mobility and your powers to make things happen, but the Siphon will destroy you if you try to do this because either you fall off a platform or you run out of stamina and suddenly can't throw things or shield or whatever, and then that's it for you. It really seems to want you to play the game differently, and it's not really obvious that this is the case.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Took a while to realize which section you were talking about. Yeah, that's the worst part of the game, and the biggest issue I found with it is that the checkpoints are absolute garbage there. Fuck up once and you could be redoing half the level.

I eventually cheesed it by sniping, it works to clear out pretty much all the enemies and you can easily mo. If your Pierce is fully upgraded you should be able to get through with a little patience, though it can get pretty nerve-wracking when you're near the end knowing one slight fall will set you back a ton.

In general, part of what made that section hard for me was that the rest of the game, you're encouraged to make use of your mobility and your powers to make things happen, but the Siphon will destroy you if you try to do this because either you fall off a platform or you run out of stamina and suddenly can't throw things or shield or whatever, and then that's it for you. It really seems to want you to play the game differently, and it's not really obvious that this is the case.
Checkpoints in general in this game suck I've found.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't crazy OP

It legit has some.... Questionable difficulty spikes that will definitely sour the momentum at times.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
the game has really rough spikes. it also doesn't always make clear what the best way to win a boss fight is.

Most of the game focuses on shooting, right? Well...the best way to kill bosses is by throwing things at them. Literally chucking debris does orders of magnitude more damage than your most powerful gun variant. Once I realized that, just about everything was trivial (save 2 specific fights).

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't really think I had any issue with the difficulty at all. Game was pretty easy throughout with very few sections which were challenging.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
no, you're not a poor player, op. either that, or i am, too...

i completed & enjoyed control. i also completed & enjoyed prey. but both games, imo, went overboard with combat, & neither game really needed to, as they would've both been just as enjoyable, if not even more enjoyable, without as much of it...

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It's not just you, the game has very sudden difficult spikes- bosses in particular.

Salvador boss fight took me over a month.

He's the boss that you face
during the My Brother's Keeper mission, right before you reunite with Dylan for the first time and earn the hover ability.

Despite the frame rate dips, stutter and very ugly character facial animations, I was loving Control before I reached that boss fight. I died 20 times before looking it up and learning that most people struggled with this boss. Many claimed to have put the game down permanently which only discouraged me further.

I finally got past it last week and I'm back to enjoying Control despite the issues I mentioned. The world building is incredible and I'm getting to the real meat of Jesse's backstory right now. I can't wait for the Alan Wake tie-in game.

But yeah, you're not crazy and you don't suck. The game has very unfair difficulty spikes.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Didn't notice any particularly difficult part honestly. Upgrade your health and never stop moving

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I found Control to be a mostly easy game. Only times I died is when I was being a little too careless in combat. Except for one part.

The part where Jesse tries to save Polaris. That part kicked my ass and took me longer than I care to admit.

I also 100% agree that the checkpoints are awful. Dying was the worst because of how much I had to trek back sometimes. There was a couple times I just said, "Nah, fuck that, I'm done for tonight." lol

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the part you're stuck on is pretty much the final battle, OP.

I for one appreciated the challenge. Drop a bunch of perks into health and shield, mix up your tactics.

tge only part I felt was unfair was the optional boss who kept punching holes in the floor I would fall through. But, again, respeccing to favor levitation served me way better than just trying to get good.

One of my favorite games this year.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't gotten to the part you're talking about but the fight with the Former was very annoying. I don't know what asshole designed that fight but screw em, stop blowing up the ground for an instant death when I have to always look up and jump/hover to fight and dodge the boss. Other than that I've been fine.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The encounter design in the game just gets worse and worse as you progress. I'd go so far as to say that the combat is just outright bad after the first 1/3 of the game.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I found Control to be a mostly easy game. Only times I died is when I was being a little too careless in combat. Except for one part.

The part where Jesse tries to save Polaris. That part kicked my ass and took me longer than I care to admit.

I also 100% agree that the checkpoints are awful. Dying was the worst because of how much I had to trek back sometimes. There was a couple times I just said, "Nah, fuck that, I'm done for tonight." lol

If I'm not mistaken, the fight in your spoiler is exactly where the OP is stuck, heh.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I'm no pro or something like that but I didn't find it that difficult tbh, there are some parts though where you have to cover or try to evade more before going all out.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Control's first boss is the only thing that is annoying to deal with if you go the shooter route

You don't need to shoot your gun to wipe everything in the game, just throw stuff with telekinesis, its utterly broken

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's not just you, the game has very sudden difficult spikes- bosses in particular.

Salvador boss fight took me over a month.

He's the boss that you face
during the My Brother's Keeper mission, right before you reunite with Dylan for the first time and earn the hover ability.

Despite the frame rate dips, stutter and very ugly character facial animations, I was loving Control before I reached that boss fight. I died 20 times before looking it up and learning that most people struggled with this boss. Many claimed to have put the game down permanently which only discouraged me further.

I finally got past it last week and I'm back to enjoying Control despite the issues I mentioned. The world building is incredible and I'm getting to the real meat of Jesse's backstory right now. I can't wait for the Alan Wake tie-in game.

But yeah, you're not crazy and you don't suck. The game has very unfair difficulty spikes.
Yep same here. I was stuck on that boss for two weeks, easily tried it 20 times. It wouldn't have been so bad, but you have to run past respawning enemies every single time and they can occasionally hit you with a rocket or shots, at which point you might as well kill yourself and try again cuz theres no health on the way to the boss

This game did not benefit from these darksouls style checkpoints at all and they take the game down a lot for me. Control is a 7/10 game that could have easily been an 8 or 9.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
After Ashtray Maze, that's pretty late in the game, did you skip a lot of side missions and are under powered? Jesse is seriously buff by games end so it's hard to give advice other than use your mobility as much as possible. The power that posses enemies is also great for taking the heat off of you.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's super uneven to me, yeah.

The issue is for the most part with your abilities you almost feel like a god that can't get hit. But when you DO, you actually can't take too much before you actually die. This leads to one small thing spiraling out and leading to your death.

Which is kinda whatever, but the game just doesn't use checkpoints for reasons which can make very frustrating scenarios happen. The endgame sequence almost completely tanked the game for me when I died near the end and had to redo everything.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
haha I'm playing this now for the first time and I did earlier think "have I put this on the hardest difficulty by mistake?". The game really forces you to use all your different skills and the energy replenishes fast enough that it isn't a pain to do so, I'm actually kind of loving the difficulty in this game.