• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Wait it comes out next week? Yikes.

I thought it was still ages away. Well yeah definitely being sent out to the deep end to see if it can swim on its own at least.

I'd wager only unexpectedly good reviews would help it. I say unexpectedly because it frankly looks mediocre as to me.
I'm not sure where to start with this. It's one of Sony's smaller games. It's being sent out for a good price, and has already received loads of positive impressions and won awards. It's been well marketed on streams, at events and on social channels. The reviews should end up being very positive and word of mouth has helped carry smaller titles before.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Isn't it a game made by a small studio? It'll probably make it's money back from a tiny fraction of something like God of War's sales.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
While it shouldn't really influence Sony's decisions, you just know if it was included in the most recent State of Play it would have been dubbed "filler" or something similarly irksome. Can't win these days.
I don't remember much complaining about Afterparty. These smaller games seem to get good reception in State of Play as long as they look like good games.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Infamous' graffiti tagging broken off into its own game. Except with visuals and animations of lesser quality compared to normal Sony first party standards.
It's made by a team of less than 20 people. Your commentary is unfortunately not reflective of the game at all, and the kind of thing I would expect to hear from someone who has only seen brief snippets of gameplay and summed the game up based on that.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I would like to turn the question to OP and ask what kind of marketing he expects that the game hasn't received. How do you think it should be promoted?

I'm not OP but I think these would be something easy to do.

- put a launch trailer in the TLOU2 SOP, lots of people saw that one and they had plenty of smaller titles present so no reason not to promote one of their own titles.
- there's barely any footage from Gamescom and TGS where the game was playable and won some awards, Sony had those stages with livestreams in their booth and Concrete Genie wasn't present at all in both shows.
- following up the point above, previews were very positive and talked about the traversal abilities and "combat" and we only had a super brief look at them with a 30s trailer. Game went gold a while ago so it's a shame they couldn't have a short demo to showcase this part of the game at the GC and TGS panels (if they had one).

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's made by a team of less than 20 people. Your commentary is unfortunately not reflective of the game at all, and the kind of thing I would expect to hear from someone who has seen brief snippets of gameplay.

Correct. Which is exactly all I've seen....because Sony has barely marketed it.

See...the marketing you describe is marketing that needs to be sought out. Whereas putting on a State of Play is something that will garner more attention and Sony didn't even see fit to give it some air time there.

which frankly speaks volumes about how they internally view the title.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's no shame in putting the game in more than one state of play btw. that's what they're for, video presentations to market upcoming games. the last one got a lot of views (people watching for the tlou2 trailer), they should have put a launch trailer in there. it's important to keep reminding your userbase of the upcoming smaller games.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those games I was so interested in when revealed but keep forgetting about because I felt like it was never mentioned again - I'm honestly surprised it's coming out so soon.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
there's no shame in putting the game in more than one state of play btw. that's what they're for, video presentations to market upcoming games. the last one got a lot of views (people watching for the tlou2 trailer), they should have put a launch trailer in there. it's important to keep reminding your userbase of the upcoming smaller games.

Yup, Medievil for example was in the last two.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed Entwined over 4 years ago and I was looking forward for their next game as it looks promising! Gonna be day 1 for me, but yeah it's the word of mouth who sell these games later

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
He did a massive turn on Days Gone after calling it an amazing game in previews lol.
The Last Guardian. Day's Gone.
That's funny to hear he disliked Days Gone after his previews. Didn't know that for The Last Guardian, fair enough.
Over the 10+ years he's been a figure in the field, I think there would be some PlayStation games he has disliked.
I'd hope so too. He doesn't make it look like it.

edit to clarify: I certainly wasn't saying Concrete Genie will be bad, it looks nice. Just that pointing out a good preview from this guy is rarely proof of anything on the final result.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. Which is exactly all I've seen....because Sony has barely marketed it.

See...the marketing you describe is marketing that needs to be sought out. Whereas putting on a State of Play is something that will garner more attention and Sony didn't even see fit to give it some air time there.

which frankly speaks volumes about how they internally view the title.
Incorrect. Sony has marketed it well, as I said. They have put it into a State of Play, just not the latest one. They've done about as much marketing as they ever have for titles of this size considering the bracket it falls into. You seem to be reading into the State of Play absence a bit too much. I don't think either you nor I have any idea how Sony views the title internally and I think it's pretty crazy that you can begin to claim to know how it's viewed internally. These sorts of assumptions are common on Era though.

Which after playing the demo, doesn't bode well for concrete genie because somehow Sony inexplicably saw fit to give MediEvil air time over Concrete Genie and MediEvil (based on the demo) is terrible.
MediEvil is a stronger IP. It makes sense Sony would focus more attention on that, despite what you think of the demo.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, Medievil for example was in the last two.
yeah. and look at nintendo. a game like daemon x machina (an average game based on sales and review scores) was in FIVE directs (two E3 directs, three general directs). luigi's mansion has been in 3, DQXI was in 3 or 4, etc. in any direct almost all upcoming games would be featured no matter how many times they've been shown in the past.
at least for first party games, SoP is cheap, easy marketing. now that it's an established series sony should dedicate time for all upcoming games (at least those that are coming in the next few months), even if it's just a short trailer or just a reminder.
that's the biggest benefit of these videos, they're different from other forms of marketing (video uploads, social media posts, etc). in those you have to already be interested to click on them. but in a live stream people will see the content no matter what, and it'll get a lot of views and discussion on other channels, podcasts, etc. basically anywhere that covers the live stream will mention the game and react to it.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Incorrect. Sony has marketed it well, as I said. They have put it into a State of Play, just not the latest one. They've done about as much marketing as they ever have for titles of this size considering the bracket it falls into. You seem to be reading into the State of Play absence a bit too much. I don't think either you nor I have any idea how Sony views the title internally and I think it's pretty crazy that you can begin to claim to know how it's viewed internally. These sorts of assumptions are common on Era though.

Yes...because you've never made assumptions based on evidence presented in front of you no matter how minute that is.

As I said in a follow up post. Sony saw fit to give MediEvil - which is terrible, more State of Play time than Concrete Genie.

But I've barely seen much marketing for either of them.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
isn't the fact that so many people in the first page are saying they had no idea the game is coming out soon, that they thought it was already out or a few people not even knowing what the game proof that the marketing for the game has pretty much failed? if people on a video game forum don't know much about the game that's not a good sign for the general public.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I think not including it in the most recent State of Play is a legitimate criticism, but I'm not really sure what else they can do to help the people on the first page of the thread understand it's coming out. There'll obviously be more trailers and videos along with the reviews next week, but I don't know what else was expected.

A launch trailer would be nice.

I'm almost certain you'll get one of those on Monday or Tuesday.

Sure, but the biggest engagement the public showed this game was because of State of Play. The most viewed trailer for Concrete Genie is the one showcased in March during the first SoP. This is the SoP with the worst response from the internet and still was the most beneficial thing to this game. Just a reminder that this was coming out in two weeks wouldnt have hurt anyone

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. But I can see how Sony maybe looked at the feedback to previous State of Plays and thought that including a launch trailer for Concrete Genie after they spotlighted it during a previous one would attract criticism. You know as well as I do how brutal the reaction to these livestreams is. Must be really difficult deciding what content to include.

I'd wager only unexpectedly good reviews would help it. I say unexpectedly because it frankly looks mediocre as to me.

I previewed it a few months back and it screamed sleeper hit to me. I expect the reviews to pleasantly surprise everyone. (No, I'm not reviewing it!)

I don't remember much complaining about Afterparty.

I remember plenty of criticism for practically everything that wasn't The Last of Us in the most recent State of Play.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
yeah. and look at nintendo. a game like daemon x machina (an average game based on sales and review scores) was in FIVE directs (two E3 directs, three general directs). luigi's mansion has been in 3, DQXI was in 3 or 4, etc. at any point in a direct almost all upcoming games would be featured no matter how many times they've been shown in the past.
at least for first party games, SoP is cheap, easy marketing. now that it's an established series sony should dedicate time for all upcoming games (at least those that are coming in the next few months), even if it's just a short trailer or just a reminder.
that's the biggest benefit of these videos, they're different from other forms of marketing (video uploads, social media posts, etc). in those you have to already be interested to click on them. but in a live stream people will see the content no matter what, and it'll get a lot of views and discussion on other channels, podcasts, etc. basically anywhere that covers the live stream will mention the game and react to it.

Yeah I saw the last directs and was happy that Nintendo went hard at promoting DQXI.

It was a baffling decision from Sony to not have Concrete Genie at SOP. I find it hard to understand, especially when you have TLOU2 on it and know that a lot of people will watch it.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I totally forgot the games was coming out so soon. At least here in Australia, I haven't really seen any form of marketing for it whatsoever.

Now I just need to remember to pick up a copy when I get paid next, because I absolutely want to support this game.

Oct 28, 2017
Knew it was out in October, wasn't sure when though.
I was excited for it, but I had a go of it at Gamescom and it was kinda difficult to see what I was supposed to be doing half the time, this may have been because they started on Chapter 2, so there wasn't much of a tutorial, and I also thought it didn't have much to it, all I could do was follow around my painting, which in turn told me to paint more, that was about it. That was enough to make me rethink if I should buy it or not. I hope I'm mistaken and that it is good in the end, but I'm definitely waiting for reviews.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Following up the point above, previews were very positive and talked about the traversal abilities and "combat" and we only had a super brief look at them with a 30s trailer.

Well, I actually got the impression from the preview event I went to that they want to keep the combat as a surprise. I can't say for certain, but I think the developer wants to keep that underwraps.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've had it preordered on PSN for a while now. Been really looking forward to it. But this will fly under most people's radar for sure.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. But I can see how Sony maybe looked at the feedback to previous State of Plays and thought that including a launch trailer for Concrete Genie after they spotlighted it during a previous one would attract criticism. You know as well as I do how brutal the reaction to these livestreams is. Must be really difficult deciding what content to include.
it's still a relatively new series, there's room for experimentation and ultimately sony is the one in charge of shaping people's expectations. by always including trailers and updates for upcoming games, people get used to the idea that it's not just going to be about new games or massive news (tlou2, ff7, etc). that's a big plus, honestly. cuz people would also tune in to get some new info or a new trailer for a game they're already excited about.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? It's coming out this Tuesday? I don't know how Sony messed up the marketing for this game so badly.

They should have included this in the last state of play. It would have made the last one worthwhile instead of the hot mess we got with the last state of play........so useless.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I never understood why they barely showed of the games combat and traversal system. That stuff looked so cool but instead they show ominous footage that doesn't really give you any clues about what the actual gameplay is like.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yes...because you've never made assumptions based on evidence presented in front of you no matter how minute that is.

As I said in a follow up post. Sony saw fit to give MediEvil - which is terrible, more State of Play time than Concrete Genie.

But I've barely seen much marketing for either of them.
I'm saying that maybe it's not a good idea to suggest Sony views Concrete Genie poorly internally just because they didn't give it a spot in the latest State of Play. The fact is there has been an appropriate degree of marketing for both games given for the bracket they fit into (scope and price). You've seen enough of the games to know how to feel about them. Like I said in an earlier post, the premise of this thread is flawed. A lot of concerned takes going around here as usual that will be interesting to look back on in hindsight.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what this game is about but I pre ordered because this thread and it $30 so I can't lose.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Can not wait to play this game. Loved the look of it since it was first shown.

It has had plenty of time at most of the recent game conferences so hopefully it will do well, but do think Sony missed a chance to show it during its last State of Play. Even a quick thing towards the end like a look out for Concrete Genie being released on such and such a date (thought they would of mentioned ready, set, heroes as well)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm saying that maybe it's not a good idea to suggest Sony views Concrete Genie poorly internally just because they didn't give it a spot in the latest State of Play. The fact is there has been an appropriate degree of marketing for both games given for the bracket they fit into (scope and price). You've seen enough of the games to know how to feel about them. Like I said in an earlier post, the premise of this thread is flawed. A lot of concerned takes going around here as usual that will be interesting to look back on in hindsight.

interesting based on what?

reviews? Sales? What? Unless the game is getting 9s and 10s across the board I won't be buying it regardless. I just don't have the time and money to throw whatever the Australian price is to see what it's like. Maybe if Sony had a subscription service they could launch it on for me to try it out if I was already subbed to it I could give it a go? 🤔

The last time I bought a game I had not heard of because the reviews were incredible for it was God of War in 2005.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Same as medieval. What's the Point of spending money to make them if Sony isn't going to market the smaller non AAA games. Might as well not even do them if you don't believe in your own product

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm excited for this game, but I only became aware of it last week by a complete coincidence. There's zero marketing for it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I wouldn't say this game is marketed well when even Dreams and Gravity Rush 2 were more marketed than it.
It's Puppeteer tier as someone said earlier.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Knew it was coming out soon but slipped my mind it was so close.

I'm pulling for it to do well cause it looks gorgeous, if it does well in reviews hopefully that word of mouth finds it an audience.

It obviously wasn't going to get the typical big PS4 game CG trailer like Death Stranding is, but yeah the marketing push for it seems kinda nonexistent.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
interesting based on what?

reviews? Sales? What? Unless the game is getting 9s and 10s across the board I won't be buying it regardless. I just don't have the time and money to throw whatever the Australian price is to see what it's like. Maybe if Sony had a subscription service they could launch it on for me to try it out if I was already subbed to it I could give it a go? 🤔

The last time I bought a game I had not heard of because the reviews were incredible for it was God of War in 2005.
Enough times when Era is concerned about the projected success of something, it evades their expectations. What that is will probably be related to critical and commercial success. It will be interesting to revisit how a mid-tier Sony game can still be successful with mid-tier marketing, and not needing television ad spend to do it.

To be honest, I don't think you were ever interested in seeking out more information about this game despite being a regular poster on an enthusiast forum with the capacity to search for it. You want numbers to validate a game for you instead of seeking out what makes the game special - there are lots of previews out there to read/watch. You're okay to wait for reviews but not bother with previews, it's all good man. No point in complaining about it then is it?

Sep 15, 2019
So I completely forgot about this getting announced like two+ years ago but it seems a little weird to have a thread about a game not getting any coverage or anything then not include a trailer, basic information about the game, or anything to generate buzz around this, or lesser known titles.

I get having a discussion about the issue but it seems weird to specifically point out a game that is being overlooked then do very little to put attention on it.

And after checking out the reveal and a few other things I'm not 100% sure what the game is about still other than painting on 2D surfaces and interacting with the 3D world? This could be a case of simply not knowing how to market it and hoping word of mouth gets the ball rolling here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Enough times when Era is concerned about the projected success of something, it evades their expectations. What that is will probably be related to critical and commercial success. It will be interesting to revisit how a mid-tier Sony game can still be successful with mid-tier marketing, and not needing television ad spend to do it.

To be honest, I don't think you were ever interested in seeking out more information about this game despite being a regular poster on an enthusiast forum with the capacity to search for it. You want numbers to validate a game for you instead of seeking out what makes the game special - there are lots of previews out there to read/watch. You're okay to wait for reviews but not bother with previews, it's all good man. No point in complaining about it then is it?

No. I wasn't interested. Because the game has never looked any good to me.

My first post in this thread was about shock that it's out next week. But there's been plenty of games I've got no interest in that I still knew their release date/window.

Red Dead 2, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Days Gone, Fire Emblem etc etc. all games I had/have ZERO interest in that I all knew when they released.

Because even if you chose to ignore official marketing for them, Era the very least was talking about them.

Even Era doesn't give 2 shits about this game.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is one of those games that has to stand out after it's out and about. Reviews will definitely help.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As somebody who's 100% in this game's target demographic, I didn't know it was coming out so soon. Unfortunately it's coming out the same day as Indivisible though so I don't think I'll be getting it close to launch. Also as great as the game looks, I have no idea what it plays like so waiting for reviews and impressions are a must.