• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Concrete Genie comes out next Tuesday, but I wouldn't be surprised if many gamers, even those interested in single player action adventure titles were unaware of this. There's been next to zero marketing for the game that I've seen. The last promotional push it got was during Gamescom where it earned some positive previews and nominations and awards from the conference. What gives? Seems like it's at the very least a fairly good game from the press it's received, and fills a niche in Sony's lineup as a more family friendly title. IMO, with some marketing, it could do pretty well for itself.

Why is there zero push for this game? Seems like small, quirky, and/or artistic games like CG, Dreams, and Medievil have fallen out of favor at the corporate level for the massive AAA style experiences World Wide Studios are now primarily known for.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think people will sit up and take notice of it next week if the reviews for it are stellar.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Sony funds a lot of games outside of their usual AAA fare and then sends them all to die.

It's a weird strategy but they're consistent.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is focused on the big hitters now to build momentum into next gen, just like they were last gen when Puppeteer came out.

The one saving grace CG will have over Puppeteer is that PS5 will have BC.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sony is weird with their smaller scale games, its cool that this and medievil exist but they dont seem to want to discuss them. I suppose if you have a limited marketing budget putting it towards bigger exclusives like death stranding and tlou 2 make sense

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Should have sold Concrete Genie with an exclusive Death Stranding demo or something :(

I'm disappointed that there's very little marketing or excitement about the game at the moment. Reviews might change that around, like they seem to have done with Yooka Laylee (positive impression, people learning for the first time there's a sequel, surprised that it's actually not out already), but I'm not holding my breath.

It looks like a gorgeous game and the VR mode is a nice treat. I do hope that whatever sales the game does get exceeds the expectations for the studio.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for Concrete Genie and I had no idea it was coming out on Tuesday

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a vague idea before this thread that it was releasing sometime in October but I didn't know it was that imminent. I've not really been sold on it as a casual observer, albeit I might still buy it based on reviews and just because there haven't been many interesting releases on PS4 recently and for me until DOOM Eternal and Star Wars.

But yeah I'd say it is not poised for success, sales-wise.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Most don't even know the existence of Sony's smaller titles like Concrete Genie, since they always complain that Sony only makes cinematic action adventure games.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I've heard of the game but had no clue it was an action-adventure game or that it was coming out on Tuesday.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have that feeling at all. Sony is constantly talking about the game on social media, it received exposure in every major event since reveal and won a lot of awards. It's not a game for everyone due to the themes and design, but it will succeed if reviews are good. It comes out at the right time at least

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I remember it being in the last Sony Direct but I honestly thought it was delayed to 2020 or something.
TIL.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
People: of course this game wasn't profitable, its marketing budget was too high! Marketing is just a waste of money.

Also people: of course this game bombed, it didn't have enough marketing! I didn't even know it was released!

Concrete Genie is an AA game. It has a small marketing budget. This is the reason why you don't see as much advertising as for God of War, The Last of Us Part II or Days Gone. But, for the same reason, this game don't need to sell 10M of units to become profitable. I don't know how many units it need to achieve, but probably about 1M LTD. If Concrete Genie is really good, it will easily do more than that with the word of mouth.

Mar 29, 2018
It's a fucking awesome game and I hope it does well, but yeah the fact that I, a fan, repeatedly forget when it's coming out or if it is even out, is not a good sign

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I'm waiting for reviews, to see how short the game is. If it's short i'll just wait for a sale.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
People: of course this game wasn't profitable, its marketing budget was too high! Marketing is just a waste of money.

Also people: of course this game bombed, it didn't have enough marketing! I didn't even know it was released!

Concrete Genie is an AA game. It has a small marketing budget. This is the reason why you don't see as much advertising as for God of War, The Last of Us Part II or Days Gone. But, for the same reason, this game don't need to sell 10M of units to become profitable. I don't know how many units it need to achieve, but probably about 1M LTD. If Concrete Genie is really good, it will easily do more than that with the word of mouth.

Sony should have launched it into Now for maximum exposure and to market the service.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I feel like they couldn't have done much with the marketing. It's not a shooty tooty.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Reminds me of Astro Bot last year. Not a lot shown leading up to launch, but I have a feeling it's going to be really good.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I played this at E3 and it kind of reminds me of Jet Set Radio without skates. For better or worse. The mechanics are a little convoluted at times but it is unmistakably gorgeous. I could see it being a sleeper hit.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
that's how I feel too.

This week we had new marketing materials for Iron Mar VR, MediEvil and Death Stranding, and nothing for Concrete Genie

They couldn't even bother to put it in the last SoP

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's gotten plenty of promotion and the reviews will be good. Internal sales expectations will be modest because it's not a AAA bonanza. I don't know what some of you on this site expect sometimes.

They couldn't even bother to put it in the last SoP

While it shouldn't really influence Sony's decisions, you just know if it was included in the most recent State of Play it would have been dubbed "filler" or something similarly irksome. Can't win these days.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
You can count on the VR fanbase to show up for the game.

Can't wait to try out the two VR modes alongside the single-player story and at only $30 to boot!

Last edited: