• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Hearing many reports from COD players that their Series X and PS5's are crashing out and in some cases bricking it when playing Cold War.

Is this the game that's causing the crashes or is it the cooling solutions on both machines?
My Series X has crashed quite a few times playing this COD so far, but I've been reading that some think it's the actually consoles that are causing the issues.

How have your Series X/PS5's been so far?

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I have the game on both consoles, it's definitely the game. It has crashed both of my consoles. It's bugged to hell, even aside this.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I have it for PC and experienced a few random crashes. Nothing major and doesn't happen often so probably not the console. Just needs to be patched

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If the console crashes only with COD maybe the issue is in the game and not the console?

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you think its a cooling solution at fault? Comparing the possible hours QA testers could do to the frankly insane amount of hours millions of players can commit just on day one, you're statistically likely to encounter lots of crashes and problems. Its just the usual early adoption rubbish.

Also please stop using the word "bricking" for a hard crash. Anyone able to just turn on a console again, or even access Safe Mode after, has not bricked their console.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
If it happens on both consoles it's probably the game. Has crashed and hard locked my PS4 Pro a couple of times too.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think this has to do something with the online connection, disabling Network Connection all together seems to bypass crashes.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Haven't experienced many crashes with Cold War but the game in general seems very unfinished and unstable. Played it on PS4 Pro, PS5 and PC, and all of them seem pretty unreliable. PC is the only one that crashed consistently, whereas I had one crash to OS on PS5.

By unstable I also mean that navigating through menus is laggy, has constant small freezes and slow downs and has texture load-in issues. And on PS4 Pro, the game itself looks like a pre-MW2019 game and has bad performance.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Seen a few comments from people saying that their Series X/PS5's were crashing on other games too, but mine seems to only crash in CW, so far anyway. Just thought I'd ask the question, as CW isn't worth the effort anyway.

Ive had borderlands 3 shutdown my series X a couple of times. Console doesnt feel hot at all, id guess that game is also buggy. It used to crash a fair bit on 1X.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I stopped playing Cold War and Sony contacted me to see if I was okay since they hadn't received crash reports from me for two days.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Should I sell my unopened copy? I'm waiting on my replacement PS5 right now so can't play it anyway and everything I hear is about it crashing or being broken and I've got plenty else to do.

Haven't enjoyed any COD games since BO 1 and 2. Hated AW, Ghosts and dropped BO3 because they were rubbish and haven't bought a new one til now because of that string.

I just got it because I find the Cold War a more interesting premise, much more than their last games anyway.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
if console would shut down because of heat, it would give an error message i think.
hard crashes should be more like combination of buggy software and buggy os failing to handle software issues.
new gen launch woes basically

May 19, 2020
modern warfare is one of maybe 3 games that caused an actual hard crash of my PS4, it's the games. they are not optimized at all. i can believe the same shit is happening for the new consoles too.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
The game isn't even a looker to cause cooling issues. I had non on the ps5 both fidelity or performance settings though

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The QA probably spin the entire hardware to 100% for weeks this time around because the cooling capacity of the new consoles is relatively baller, so no, I don't think it's the cooling.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Going to say the games. Only two games this gen have crashed my systems. Spider-Man's and COD

Everything else is not a problem.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Crashed my series X 5-10 times when I played campaign. Turned off ray tracing and it never crashed again. So I guess it's something to do with raytracing.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the rumors of the game coming in incredible incredibly hot it makes sense

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
There should be lawsuits on MS, Sony and Activision for letting a game to be released in a state where it can brick consoles. You could fix it with getting into safe mode but there's no actual quality control to prevent this from happening

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Crashed three times on me on the PS5. Don't own it on Xbox so I can't say. Just multiplayer and zombie mode

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Next gen launch titles were rushed out the door. Shock.

The game shouldn't be bricking consoles though, that's on Sony and Microsoft if true. Nothing the devs can do with their games should be able to brick the system.

It's also very possible that these cases of bricked hardware are being misattributed to the game. For instance, you have a scenario like this...
  • Person plays Cold War on his system regularly
  • Game is crashing every hour or so because it's filled with bugs
  • Tries to turn the system on the next day, but it won't power up
  • Attributes the 'bricked' system to the fact that the game they were playing was crashing
From what I can see of reports, that seems to be what's happening here but it's quite a leap to make. Software crashing when it encounters a bug is common. Some launch hardware also breaks down quickly due to faults (even less than 0.1% is potentially 5,000 users within 5 million units sold). Call of Duty is probably the most popular launch title therefore most people that have their systems break down are likely to have been playing Call of Duty.

So, as you can see, it's easy for folks to potentially misattribute their bricked system with whatever they were recently doing with the system, and that recent experience is likely, to be Call of Duty. Under no circumstances should the PS5 be bricked by its software, a worse case scenario should be a corruption of system storage, which is a frustrating but recoverable scenario.

Even with the Spiderman bricking scenario on PS5, it was likely not Spiderman that bricked the system. Spiderman caused storage corruption and if a fault was encountered with the internal SSD while trying to recover the storage, then it would be unable to restore the system. It was likely not Spiderman that caused that hardware fault.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Next gen launch titles were rushed out the door. Shock.

The game shouldn't be bricking consoles though, that's on Sony and Microsoft if true. Nothing the devs can do with their games should be able to brick the system.

It's also very possible that these cases of bricked hardware are being misattributed to the game. For instance, you have a scenario like this...
  • Person plays Cold War on his system regularly
  • Game is crashing every hour or so because it's filled with bugs
  • Tries to turn the system on the next day, but it won't power up
  • Attributes the 'bricked' system to the fact that the game they were playing was crashing
From what I can see of reports, that seems to be what's happening here but it's quite a leap to make. Software crashing when it encounters a bug is common. Some launch hardware also breaks down quickly due to faults (even less than 0.1% is potentially 5,000 users within 5 million units sold). Call of Duty is probably the most popular launch title therefore most people that have their systems break down are likely to have been playing Call of Duty.

So, as you can see, it's easy for folks to potentially misattribute their bricked system with whatever they were recently doing with the system, and that recent experience is likely, to be Call of Duty. Under no circumstances should the PS5 be bricked by its software, a worse case scenario should be a corruption of system storage, which is a frustrating but recoverable scenario.

Even with the Spiderman bricking scenario on PS5, it was likely not Spiderman that bricked the system. Spiderman caused storage corruption and if a fault was encountered with the internal SSD while trying to recover the storage, then it would be unable to restore the system. It was likely not Spiderman that caused that hardware fault.

Cold War is affecting wide range of systems and was released in a state that's worse than BF4. It's causing crashes, graphical glitches and errors you would see during alpha and beta testing. This game doesn't even know what to do once you level up to 100,

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Cold War is affecting wide range of systems and was released in a state that's worse than BF4. It's causing crashes, graphical glitches and errors you would see during alpha and beta testing. This game doesn't even know what to do once you level up to 100,

Yeah I don't doubt that one bit. I even stated in my post that it's crashing the system repeatedly in that scenario, but what I do place doubt on, is that it's bricking hardware.

I find it more likely, that the hardware that was bricked was already faulty, and the game crashing (often corrupting the storage) is just the catalyst that triggers that fault. Or, perhaps it's on Sony's end, where the recovery process is in itself bugged, and not able to restore the system to its original state.

But in the end, nothing the devs can do within a game, should be capable of bricking the system or breaking hardware. If for some reason they are, that has to be an issue on Sony's end of the system.

As for why the game is crashing, it's likely because Activision shipped it with 200+ open bugs, some of which were probably labelled critical, but they had to get it out the door. Not an issue with cooling or anything like that. Just a game that didn't have enough time. But at the same time, no matter how fucked up the software is, it shouldn't be even capable of bricking the system.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had one crash, but a ton of bugs playing the game. I had one menu crash in Demon's Souls but otherwise no issues, so I'm inclined to think it's a COD issue

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Its the game. The first week of release the game ran fine, but the patch before Nuketown broke it and it crashes everywhere all the time. Other gamers are not crashing and forcing my Series X to shut down completely.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I have on PC and experienced a few random crashes so I don't believe there is anything wrong with the consoles.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Your console will shut down by itself instead of actually crashing if there is ever a problem with its cooling solution. These systems are constantly monitoring temperatures and force a shut down when overheating to avoid damage. You would actually see a warning on the screen or something like this.

Unless your console's sensors aren't working, it wouldn't immediately crash from high temps (and in that case, there would most likely be hardware damage). So keep that in mind in the future; this is definitely on the game.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
What's odd to me is that a game can cause the whole console to shut off. I don't remember that ever happening last gen. Crash to dashboard, yes, but just turning off your system? That's weird.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Series X hasn't crashed a single time since launch.

My PS5 crashed one time while playing Sackboy but that's it.

I've probably put ~50 hours into each of them.