• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I've been re-engaging with Chrono Cross as of late for the first time since it came out some twenty years ago. I recall it was loosely connected to the original, but upon replaying it and reading about it, I find that it's much closer to the original than I initially remembered.

Chrono Trigger is obviously a great game; it's number one on several "Greatest RPGs of All Time" lists, however, its sequel is not as well received.

I'd love to see a reimagining of Chrono Cross and perhaps even a third game at some point along the line (I realize Radical Dreamers exists), but in its current form, Chrono Cross would need a lot of work in my opinion:

- the story is way too convoluted, it's very difficult to follow within the context of the game itself
- there are far too many inconsequential characters that, in my opinion, could be/should be removed
- traveling between two worlds is not as engaging as time travel in the original

Era, what are your thoughts? Would you like to see Chrono Cross remade or remastered? What are some elements you love and what are some bits you would change (or retcon)? Or is another sequel the better choice?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's nothing to fix
tumblr_lqh5p8mZea1qmpg90o1_r1_400.gif

I would like a remaster, however. This art deserves an HD treatment.
45JWbU4.png

JR4c8XX.png

UCiqWOX.png

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I loved having that many characters to find even if they weren't important to the plot. Reminded me of Suikoden.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Too many characters killed it for me. It's a great game, but you can't distill characters down to their essence and make the player care when there are literally dozens.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Cross really needs is to cut out the fight against Lavos and to shut Belthasar up whenever he speaks.

Because all the ties to Trigger weaken the game and prevent it from standing on its own merits.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed about the too many characters thing and I dont get the Suikodenm comparison, since suikoden knows about its limitantions, so it has 100 or so characters but the main cast is really flashed out. One of the strongest points of CT was the cast and CC throws it all away. Couldnt connect with a single character, not even Serge or Kid. All the other aspects of the game are great, though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
All Cross really needs is to cut out the fight against Lavos and to shut Belthasar up whenever he speaks.

Because all the ties to Trigger weaken the game and prevent it from standing on its own merits.
While I like the idea that Lucca is something of a catalyst for the events of this game (fearing someone may travel in time to stop her, Crono, and Marle from destroying Lavos is a really cool set up), I wonder if you're right about a sequel having nothing to do with the original at all.

It's just the characters in the original are so memorable it feels like it would be a shame not to use them again in some way.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, one could say the main CC characters are Serge, Kid, Lynx, Harle, Karsh, Guile and maybe Nikki. The rest are filler.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I like the idea that Lucca is something of a catalyst for the events of this game (fearing someone may travel in time to stop her, Crono, and Marle from destroying Lavos is a really cool set up), I wonder if you're right about a sequel having nothing to do with the original at all.

It's just the characters in the original are so memorable it feels like it would be a shame not to use them again in some way.

Like it's fine for the game to take place in the same world and all that, but it didn't need to end with "btdubs all of this was my convoluted plan to save this girl you don't know. Hop to it."

Trigger really didn't need a direct sequel because the unique building blocks that made it the legendary game it is can't be hard replicated. Cross doing its own thing was smart and it faltered when it became the direct Chrono Trigger 2 it never should have been.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, but agreed that too many characters is a bad thing. The dialogue modification engine in the game is theoretically neat, but in practice it cannot possibly have as much personality as actually writing original dialogue for different characters.

It does a lot well, but the characters being less unique in battle *and* in dialogue really hurts it, IMO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Too many characters killed it for me. It's a great game, but you can't distill characters down to their essence and make the player care when there are literally dozens.
I agree. This aspect of the game I think takes a lot away from developing the other characters. I don't feel the same way about Serge or Kid that I do with Crono and Marle.

If they were to re-imagine this game, maybe cut down the cast to a more manageable number and give the characters a little more personality.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I love Chrono Cross but I would probably enjoy the game a bit more if it had a more engaging magic system. Aside from that though, I think the game is outstanding.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

How does the ending work without Schala though? That is the one piece that is essential.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Leave mostly everything the same, but add backstories and sidequests for every character. Flesh them out more. And *maybe* let players explore more locations from CT.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of playable characters likely could've been halved, but few would agree on who should be omitted since everyone has their favorites. The story doesn't really get convoluted until the Balthasar explanations factor in, and the two worlds deal worked fine all while not rehashing CT's time traveling (and given how CC tended to focus on the consequences of messing with time, it's not too surprising that they went with something different).
Glenn is significantly more important than Guile in respect to backstory for related characters, yes (IIRC, whatever plans they had for Guile went unused).

Last edited:

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
I know that many CT fans were really disappointed with CC but CC is an amazing game on its own. One the best JRPGs imo. No need to be fixed.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does the ending work without Schala though? That is the one piece that is essential.

Obviously the finale would need some rewriting but a greater emphasis on the war between FATE and the Dragon Gods, you know the actually interesting parts of the game, would be fine.

Some massaging and you can end the game right at Terra Tower.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I should mention that one aspect that does not require "fixing", in my opinion, is the music.

Dear god, it's so good.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
there will always be throw away chars in games, but the main party and most of the bosses were very memorable, even if the music did help some.

i think this fight changed the way i thought about game music. ahhhh, that soundtrack.

Oct 25, 2017

Yooouuuuuu rang...?

Anyways, the only thing that needs fixing in Chrono Cross is the massive info dump at the end, caused by the team running out of time and budget (Like Xenogears, but less extreme). They could expand on the ending events a lot more instead of relying on Kid giving a speech about the Dragonians/Reptites, and other things. Maybe playable segments, or event cutscenes about the Chronopolis-Dinopolis war, instead of just showing a single picture.

The number of characters is not a problem. The main characters have great storylines already. The rest are just in for the ride and allow the player to choose whatever gameplay style fits them the most.

Also, besides the previously mentioned info dump, the story is not convoluted at all. Complicated? Perhaps. But not too much if you already played and understood Chrono Trigger.

Budget and time constraint issues aside, Chrono Cross is pretty much perfect.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's always amazing to me when I read threads like this how much detail people remember about games released 20 years.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's not worth fixing. Chrono Trigger should have a real sequel, maybe, but Chrono Cross is a convoluted mess that is more of a sequel to Radical Dreamers and only tangentially related to Chrono Trigger. "Fixing" it would require basically rebuilding from scratch. Let it be the bad game with great music that it is, that's all it needs to be.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think most of the hate for Cross would die down if they added a few Chrono Trigger characters to the game, which wouldn't be that odd considering how it already had a bloated cast...

Glenn is significantly more important than Guile in respect to backstory for related characters, yes (IIRC, whatever plans they had for Guile went unused).

The DS version of CT goes out of its way to set up Magus becoming Guile. Cross itself basically removed any backstory for Guile or plot role for him in later in the game, without specific interactions even in the final battle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm not overly down on this game, I do enjoy it now, and I did enjoy when I played it back when it came out.

Revisiting it, however, there's just too much that I feel like I would change. That's the purpose of this thread. Just a discussion on what was great about the game (a lot), and what you wish could be better.

For me, the story is too convoluted and doesn't make much sense within the context of the game itself, which is something the original did so much better. I wish the story made a bit more sense and was told in-game in a better way.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The DS version of CT goes out of its way to set up Magus becoming Guile though, although, yes, Cross itself basically removed any backstory for Guile or plot role for him in later in the game, without specific interactions even in the final battle.
Yeah, I thought I had read something about them officially tying the two together in that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yooouuuuuu rang...?

Anyways, the only thing that needs fixing in Chrono Cross is the massive info dump at the end, caused by the team running out of time and budget (Like Xenogears, but less extreme). They could expand on the ending events a lot more instead of relying on Kid giving a speech about the Dragonians/Reptites, and other things. Maybe playable segments, or event cutscenes about the Chronopolis-Dinopolis war, instead of just showing a single picture.

The number of characters is not a problem. The main characters have great storylines already. The rest are just in for the ride and allow the player to choose whatever gameplay style fits them the most.

Also, besides the previously mentioned info dump, the story is not convoluted at all. Complicated? Perhaps. But not too much if you already played and understood Chrono Trigger.

Budget and time constraint issues aside, Chrono Cross is pretty much perfect.

Remember that part where Kid casually reveals near the end of the game that whenever she's in peril that time itself rewinds and she wakes up completely unaware?

We love attention-whore-y thread titles

I can't believe someone doesn't enjoy The Thing I Like.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine there was more stuff they wanted to do but ran out of time for, considering that they answered half the story questions in an infodump at the very end of the game.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it was on this site when someone called Chrono Cross bad. Chrono Cross is fantastic. Nothing to fix except a HD remake or remaster along with Xenogears.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a game in and of itself, it has a lot going for it.

As a sequel to Chrono Trigger, it comes up short. The characters lack Akira Toriyama's style. The game lacks Yuji Horii's charm.

There's a reason people still hold up Trigger as one of the greatest games of all time, and Chross is barely referenced.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Cross isn't, doesn't want to, has no interest in becoming Chrono Trigger 2 and it is an infinitely better game for it. Please leave it alone and just do what everyone does and pretend this game doesn't exist or something

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
There really isn't much of a way to fix it...you either love it for what it was or hate it.

I thought it was ok at best, pretty as fuck but a poor sequel to CT. I think it would have been better off with no connection to CT at all.