• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Doing an Always Sunny rewatch and man, in an already amazing show this episode still manages to stand head and shoulders above the rest and most live action comedy. The humor/writing is all there, but the second half of the episode takes the premise of the health inspector visiting Paddy's to new heights.

The execution of the "one shot" realtime scheme of fooling the health inspector is just so perfect, with seamless setup and payoff, you appreciate it more and more in every rewatch. Masterfully put together and has got to be one of the top five episodes of any half-hour comedy ever made.

"Dinner Party" from The Office and "The Marine Biologist" from Seinfeld are runners up tho.

Can anything top or come close?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
what's your spaghetti policy?

charlie episodes in general are the best

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Charlie Work is indeed one of the best Always Sunny episodes and just a flat out amazing episode in of itself. Even besides the use of a faux one-take, it's just a well written and executed episode.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
source.gif

8EsgYux.gif

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I swear we've had this thread before.

The best Always Sunny episode is the one where the McPoyles take the bar hostage, or "Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack" (the Pepe Silvia episode).

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
ive been introducing my wife to Always Sunny over the past week (she's never really watched it before) and i was so excited to get to this episode. definitely one of their finest. the chair gag is exquisite (but my personal favorite is Frank painted black mimicking the sound of the carbon monoxide detector).

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I have a soft spot in my heard for weird and idiosyncratic characters who, when the smoke of plot clears out, turn out to have been correct/vital all along.

I don't know why.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Doing an Always Sunny rewatch and man, in an already amazing show this episode still manages to stand head and shoulders above the rest and most live action comedy. The humor/writing is all there, but the second half of the episode takes the premise of the health inspector visiting Paddy's to new heights.

I think you mean Carmine's: a place for steaks

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I really like the episode The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award

which is making fun of why the show never got any major awards

da998febce1387331671955f45b9596e.gif

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty great. My favorite single segment which I think about to this day though is Charlie's date in the episode where The Waitress gets engaged.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
LOOK AT ME WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO MEEEE

The entire episode exudes the best chaotic energy Sunny's got to offer, the density of jokes to runtime means you're glued to the screen because it's a engaging episode from start to finish, and it's technically really interesting because it's a 'one-take' episode.

It is indeed a contender for one of the best comedy episodes out there.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I always loved how Howerton's body language changed at Mac's "Hey Dennis..." Really subtle and really creepy.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's not my favorite episode (that usually goes to Gas Crisis, Boat, Little Beauties, or Heart Attack), but it's definitely the most impressive one execution wise.

As an aside, I'm finding that The Gang Cracks The Liberty Bell holds up really well on rewatches. Very underrated episode.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it was good but it didn't really feel like a Sunny episode to me. My favorite episode is the one where they break Dee, it's so good.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
As for overall episode, yeah it may be one of, if not the best.

Have had:

"Newsflash Asshole! I've been hearing it the entire goddamn time!"
"Then why would you lie?"
"BECAUSE I HATE YOOOOO!"

Stuck in my head all day.
Despite the show's sort of relegation as very niche dark comedy, Howerton is without question one of the strongest actors in the entire business.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Macs real name reveal was one of the funniest moments. Not witty nor deep. Just a dumb simple joke. But the fact that it took so long to reveal and that I had really never cared about it in the first place..... had me in stitches

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
remember when charlie turned into a black kid who gets shot by a cop

tumblr_ojbjg98Lfk1vfg7u3o1_500.gif

SkeletalLateHousefly-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
"Who Got Sweet Dee Pregnant?" is probably my all-time favorite, simply for the build to the fucking ostrich scene.

Somewhat on-topic: I'll scream until someone notices me that Glenn Howerton would make for an amazing live-action Joker.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Not my favorite, but an incredible achievement nonetheless.

I think my favorite episode is the Italian restaurant one.

All the characters neuroses on display, playing off each other, resulting in chaos.

giphy.gif

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since we're just posting stuff Dennis's line read here is absolutely Incredible.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can really say this about mostly any Sunny episode. Charlie Work is great though

Oct 25, 2017
"WE GOTTA WRITE A SONG ABOUT HOW WE DON'T DIDDLE KIDS"

"OLDER THAN MY WIFE, OLDER THAN MY DAUGHTER"

..but yeah, Charlie Work is amazing. That one-shot back-half of the episode is so good, and honestly, Charlie figuring out the scheme without even being privy to it is also amazing. I enjoy episodes that show Charlie's freak talents (The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award, The Niteman Cometh, etc.)