• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I read a tweet and thought I had forgotten the meaning of the world "chalk".Checked it once again, and had to admit police arrested a 13 years old gril who had chalk. How ist it a crime and what is the reason behind this decision?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's dangerous since they got rid of the chalkboards. Now the kids just cut it up with cleaning supplies and snort it with their friends. They call it getting chalked.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The US is a fucking shitshow. Kids are running around with chalk making art on the ground all over the place where I live. It's fun to look at and is washed away the moment it rains.

Oct 25, 2017
I read a tweet and thought I had forgotten the meaning of the world "chalk".Checked it once again, and had to admit police arrested a 13 years old gril who had chalk. How ist it a crime and what is the reason behind this decision?

Did you read the quote in the original tweet? The reasoning from the cop is right in that quote.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
According to the twitter thread, someone else brought cans labeled chalk and kids thought it was spray chalk (that's a thing?, damn I'm old) but it was really chalkboard paint which I guess is harder to remove?

Still a gross overreaction imo.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Probably best not to get news from carefully edited twitter videos. They apparently spray painted the wall. Whether a 13 year old should be arrested for that is still a different story but yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like op was purposely trying to get a rouse out of people by actions obtuse to why, whether right or wrong, this happened.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Chalkboard paint? Never heard of that...

But maybe its because they were spraying it over property that they shouldnt and the owners of the property or ongoers probably reported it.

But taking them in handcuffs....yikes.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like op was purposely trying to get a rouse out of people by actions obtuse to why, whether right or wrong, this happened.
It doesn't seem an appropriate reaction even knowing the context. I highly doubt they would use handcuffs in my country, under similar circumstances, to a kid.Fora 13 years old to be handcuffed kid would have to be violent and doing drugs I guess.... But now way would they handcuff a kid for that...

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't seem an appropriate reaction even knowing the contexct. I higlydoubt they would use handcuffs in Ăąmy country, under similar circmustances, to a kid.
It's illegal here to spray paint walls unless you have permission or permit. This is pretty much standard procedure.

I've definitely seen kids use sidewalk chalk in the city with no reprocussions frequently, and I assume that's fine and legal. That isn't what was happening here.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
According to the twitter thread, someone else brought cans labeled chalk and kids thought it was spray chalk (that's a thing?, damn I'm old) but it was really chalkboard paint which I guess is harder to remove?

Still a gross overreaction imo.

Chalkboard paint is a spray paint used to make a surface into a chalk board like surface. So if that's what they had yeah very hard to remove.

It's odd they would even have that though. It's meant for like, spraying on drywall or other smooth surface that wouldn't otherwise take chalk.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's chalk or spray chalk then wow. Thank God they're not wasting taxpayer money arresting the open heroin dealers down the hill.

If it's chalkboard paint then it's permanent and expensive and difficult to remove. At that point I am not sure how they resolve.

If it's obviously an accident and they didn't realize it was chalkboard paint then call her parents to come pick her up and write a citation.

None of the possibilities seem to require taking a kid I n a paddywagon.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you mix chalk with cocaine you get a very illegal substance. The cops didn't overreact.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Chalkboard paint is a spray paint used to make a surface into a chalk board like surface. So if that's what they had yeah very hard to remove.

It's odd they would even have that though. It's mewbt for like, spraying on drywall or other smooth surface that wouldn't otherwise take chalk.

Oh yeah I've seen that before. For some reason I was thinking it was paint people put on chalkboards to be more permanent than chalk for things like teacher's rules or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem an appropriate reaction even knowing the context. I highly doubt they would use handcuffs in my country, under similar circumstances, to a kid.Fora 13 years old to be handcuffed kid would have to be violent and doing drugs I guess.... But now way would they handcuff a kid for that...

This is not how you phrased the thread though. You came in with "why is chalk dangerous" and tried to frame it like it was a story it's not.

Did they over react? 100%. But frame the discussion around that and not how you did. And for the record just because you're a minor doesn't mean you won't get handcuffs.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
This is not how you phrased the thread though. You came in with "why is chalk dangerous" and tried to frame it like it was a story it's not.

Did they over react? 100%. But frame the discussion around that and not how you did. And for the record just because you're a minor doesn't mean you won't get handcuffs.
the way they act make it loooks like a more serious situation.... No cops in my country would react like this...This looks like dealing with a more dangerous situation...

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
You don't handcuff a kid that was sitting down and obeying commands up to that point. Even if you decide to take her to the precinct or heaven forbid just drive her home you just ask her to get in the police vehicle.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
It's dangerous since they got rid of the chalkboards. Now the kids just cut it up with cleaning supplies and snort it with their friends. They call it getting chalked.
oA8verA.jpg

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never heard of "spray chalk".
I've only heard of spray paint that has an ultra-matte, chalk-like finish and chalkboard paint.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
chalk is bad to breathe in, so the cop did the right thing

honestly, why do people think its okay to manufacture chalk in this day and age? climate change is not going to be solved as long as we have chalk being manufactured and used and clapped out of erasers.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Seems correct to stop someone spray-painting property illegally. Seems stupid to use handcuffs, but it is probably one of those things where there is a rule they need to do it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Is spray paint, guys. Not chalk. Fix the title.

It can still easily be removed with a pressure washer, so yeah, they were heavy handed as fuck.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems correct to stop someone spray-painting property illegally. Seems stupid to use handcuffs, but it is probably one of those things where there is a rule they need to do it.

I'm not one to defend police, but they didn't until people were surrounding and harassing them. Originally they just sat the pair down for a talk

Though I had a difficult time hearing and it sounded like they may have just been vindictive that the 13yo gave them lip but idk

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I was handcuffed for spray painting on my high school grounds. They didn't take me downtown, though.