• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is cereal soup?

• Yes

Votes: 101 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 325 76.3%

• Total voters

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Cold soup but using milk instead of something traditional like chicken or vegetable broth.

Sounds like soup to me.

What do you say?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I like to keep this stuff simple. If someone asked me if I would like some soup and then brought be a bowl of cereal I would think either they were trying to fuck with me or lost their mind, so not soup in my book.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot, that is made by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, milk, or water. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth.

Oatmeal is a cereal so tread lightly non-believers

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't soup require some amount of ingredients to be cooked in the broth? I don't think adding a liquid to a solid makes a soup.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I9tzMGH.gif

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
No, because the milk in cereal is used to soften or moisten the cereal. You're not creating a broth with it, which is the definition of soup. You can slurp the milk with sugar in it afterward of course, but the steeping of the cereal in the milk is not the primary appeal, and in fact many people eat the cereal as fast as they can to prevent it from becoming too soggy. The dynamics of cereal with milk simply don't match the dynamics of soup, and to call it soup is to fundamentally misunderstand what soup is.

Define broth.

Is sugar and water a broth? Milk and sugar?

No. Broth is savory.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The right answer to this question is "who cares?" given that you'd never actually use the umbrella term "soup" to refer to a cereal, even if it was one.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Vegetarian soup, yes.

Soup doesn't have to have stock, look at split pea soup or something similar.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cold soup but using milk instead of something traditional like chicken or vegetable broth.

Sounds like soup to me.

What do you say?
No. Cereal isn't doing the things soup is trying to do. I agree with the Wikipedia definition.

Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, milk, or water. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth. Soups are similar to stews, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two; however, soups generally have more liquid (broth) than stews.[1]​

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The definition of broth is irrelevant to my question, nothing is prepared in the liquid, the prepared liquid is just poured over an ingredient.

Who said it does?
What about the chocolate powder coming off the Cocoa Puffs or the cinnamon sugar coming off the Cinnamon Toast Crunch and mixing with the milk to change the flavor of the liquid?

What about pouring the milk on the Rice Krispies to prepare the experience of the snap, crackle, and pop?

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
No. It's just cereal grains, usually served in milk. Cereal by itself isn't even liquid, and it isn't made from any kind of broth or stock. If you look at it funny, it might be seen as a kind of cold porridge, but it might be better to call porridge a kind of hot cereal.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
It's not soup simply because nobody calls it soup. There's no scientific path to call it a soup akin to animal taxonomy. Pointing out definitions ignores the biggest rule in the book about how people literally use words. If you can convince everybody to envision cereal when they think of types of soup, then you probably have a better argument.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
No stock = no soup

It's the most basic ingredient of the dish to the point where the poor would eat hot water flavored with stock and no other ingredients.

Vegetarian soup, yes.

Soup doesn't have to have stock, look at split pea soup or something similar.
You use vegetable stock in vegetarian soup. Milk is not a stock.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
But, what about people that eat their cereal dry?

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
No stock = no soup

It's the most basic ingredient of the dish to the point where the poor would eat hot water flavored with stock and no other ingredients.

You use vegetable stock in vegetarian soup. Milk is not a stock.

Okay, assuming all soup requires a stock. Could milk be considered a stock if you take in consideration that cows consume grass, that grass is then processed (by the animal) to produce the milk? It's a stretch, but by the time the milk hits the bowl it's no longer a beverage or condiment because the cereal pieces rely on the milk.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
everything you eat automatically becomes soup in your tum tum, so when you think about it you can't eat anything other than soup

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yes of course.

Tomato soup is a soup, cereal is just a more complex soup with multiple components.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Remember these words are interchangeable, so it would also be smart to call soup cereal as well. Your contemporaries will respect and appreciate the fact that you've opened the world up before them. When I'm not feeling well I like to eat some nice hot chicken oodle cereal.