• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can't go wrong with..

"Die monster! You don't belong in this world!"

Also, it's rather interesting that this game opens with the Belmont fighting Dracula when that's usually saved for the end of the game. A showing of how things would be different.

And of course, the music is awesome too.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Idk the first 15 minutes of The Last of Us were pretty great. I really felt the panic and heartbreak about everything in that sequence.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The greatest opening in all of video games is in the first Kingdom Hearts, from the tutorial all the way to Traverse Town.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it when it came out. Now when I play it, I just wanna get to Alucard. I fucking haaaaate that you can't skip the text scroll after the opening.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Starting the game with the end boss of another masterpiece game (that the vast majority of SOTN players probably never played) was absolute genius.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Starting the game with the end boss of another masterpiece game (that the vast majority of SOTN players probably never played) was absolute genius.

Being a kid and hearing about Rondo and it's connection to Symphony was painful. I was obsessed with the fact it and Secret of Mana 2 never came out here. I would constantly just spend days looking at screenshots and reading about them online, and hearing rumors of translations being in the works. I remember burning through a stack of discs trying to figure out how to burn and play Rondo. It was glorious when I finally got there.

If I remember right, Konami sent the translators a C&D. So, you'd read about how there was one out there but, back before torrents and shit, it was hard to find. I didn't know about newsgroups, where you could have probably found such things.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
it's perfect. Doesn't matter which CV you played before it, it induced the perfect nostalgic flash while being perfectly unique.

Oct 29, 2017
It is a great opening, but Lufia 2 already pulled the same trick three years prior. So SOTN was definitely not the first to do the prequel-catchup intro trick.

Ys1&2 on the TG16 also did something similar by combining the two separate games into one; where the second game starts immediately when the first one ends.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
The beginning proper of SOTN is also pretty hype. Alucard dashing through the forest with owls flying around and shit. Barely makes it before castle gates close, then proceeds to annihilate everything in his way with one touch. Death himself intercepts you and goes "I demand you cease your attack". Obviously the master fiend is not asking he is telling. Alucard then simply goes "I will not". SO HYPE.