• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Captain America superhuman or peak human?

• Superhuman

Votes: 804 80.4%
  • Peak human

Votes: 196 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 13, 2018
giphy.gif

Superhuman.
This is hilarious looking

Oct 26, 2017
"Peak human" doesn't mean anything in comics. lol It depends on the writer.

But Cap is 100% superhuman in the MCU.

There should be tiers to how superhuman someone is.
Cap and T'Challa are base-line superhumans. The Iron Man armors, on average, are mid-level superhuman class. Hulk, Thor, and Carol are high-level superhumans/gods.

Oct 27, 2017
What in the world is peak human? That is not even a thing

I guess the term refers to what a human would be able to realistically do if all our innate physical and mental abilities were taken to their realistic extremes. How fast the fastest human could run, how high they could jump, how much pain they could endure, etc.

He's a Homo sapiens superior supposedly mother nature's counter to mutants.

Wha? Nah. He took super soldier serum. There's nothing natural about his abilities. He was nothing before the serum.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the term refers to what a human would be able to realistically do if all our innate physical and mental abilities were taken to their realistic extremes. How fast the fastest human could run, how high they could jump, how much pain they could endure, etc.
But that's not how it works. like it works for people who don't understand the human body but that's not how it works

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Vibranium absorbs impact.
It's comics (duh) but I always thought about it like you can hold it in front of you and whatever hit's it, the force doesn't go through the shield into your body, wrecking havoc. When he's falling, it's still the sudden stop at the bottom that kills you, but the force is already in your body on the way down, so what the shield protects in that scenario is the ground from getting the force of your body smashing into the shield transmitted (also the differences in intertia in your body that would damage organs simply by creating a differential in forces by speeding up and then stopping aprubtly, completely seperate from what the shield is doing, your organs would have to be made out of that material in order to absorb those)

But that is enough nerd talk at the moment ;P

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Per marvel's in universe rules he is only peak human, anywhere else he would be labeled superhuman. It is mostly a super nerdy classification thing

Yup.
In the comic universe he is def just a peak human.
And peak everything a human could be.
Not just strength, but speed, dexterity whatever....he is the peak of what a human could achieve...not yet super.
Can eat a popeye's a day old popeye biscuit without water

Holy shit this had me cracking up legit.

But thats a feat they need to put in the MCU for sure, that would elevate him well above Tony Stark in suit.

P.S I think MCU makes him seem Super but once Spider-man was introduced we saw what Super human strength and dexterity actually were.

So yeah my vote is Peak Human.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No there is a peak and its name is Steve Rogers....thats the highest any human could reach.
Steve is a peak human, no other human can go above steve without being classified as a Super Human.
No, Steve Rogers is not peak human, he is an enhanced human. Like it has been said on this thread, his condition is the result of the serum.

Batman, who is peak human, trained for years to achieve his mental and physical abilities. Rogers basically served as lab rat.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No there is a peak and its name is Steve Rogers....thats the highest any human could reach.
Steve is a peak human, no other human can go above steve without being classified as a Super Human.
Yeah, Daredevil is agile as Cap, but not as strong or fast.

Kingpin is as strong as Cap, but not as agile.

Bullseye is just a really fit dude, but Cap is just as good as a marksman as he is.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No, Steve Rogers is not peak human, he is an enhanced human. Like it has been said on this thread, his condition is the result of the serum.

Batman, who is peak human, trained for years to achieve his mental and physical abilities. Rogers basically served as lab rat.

I was gonna respond but Slays response pretty much covers it.
Read the below.
Yeah, Daredevil is agile as Cap, but not as strong or fast.

Kingpin is as strong as Cap, but not as agile.

Bullseye is just a really fit dude, but Cap is just as good as a marksman as he is.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's how it works. Widow would not have survived that fall, and if she did she would be in a wheelchair.

She would have walked away fine.
The Vibranium would have absorbed all the impact.

Discounting air resistance she could stand on the shield and jump off the empire state land and just walk away.

MCU Widow, comic Widow is a 85 year old super solider her self

I still believe the Black Widow movie will tell us that she got injected with a weird russian attempt at the Super Soldier serum, not as good as the German/American one, but enough to make her quite tough.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

I think what he means is that the serum is what enhanced him into being a peak human.

SaiST

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely superhuman in the MCU...

T'challa is peak human without the suit but the Panther outfit is basically power armor.
Is that the case just in the comics? In the MCU, I only ever recall the Panther Habit being special for the Vibranium's defensive, impact-absorption abilities, not enhancing the strength he already got from the Heart-shaped Herb.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The Primarchs of 40k are peak human or superhuman?, so that is why i made the comparison between Russ and Cap

gqmvGkl.jpg

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the idea is that he is not "peak human", that is the say a super fit, strong human, but "peak human potential", which is well beyond what's normally achievable by a human in every day means, making him superhuman.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely superhuman in the MCU...

Is that the case just in the comics? In the MCU, I only ever recall the Panther Habit being special for the Vibranium's defensive, impact-absorption abilities, not enhancing the strength he already got from the Heart-shaped Herb.
Panther is superhuman in the comics too. It's not his suit giving him his strength.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I think what he means is that the serum is what enhanced him into being a peak human.
And this is where there is a huge difference: peak human condition implies training and hard work to achieve. A serum does not make you peak human, it makes you superhuman. Not "Superman-like" superhuman, but since your abilities have not been acquired through natural means, therefore you are superhuman, not peak human. Even if, in this particular case, this superhuman specimen is "only" a few times faster and stronger than a regular human.
I was gonna respond but Slays response pretty much covers it.
Read the below.
Read my reply above.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
MCU Widow, comic Widow is a 85 year old super solider her self
And this is where there is a huge difference: peak human condition implies training and hard work to achieve. A serum does not make you peak human, it makes you superhuman. Not "Superman-like" superhuman, but since your abilities have not been aquired through natural means, therefore you are superhuman, not peak human. Even if, in this particular case, this superhuman specimen is "only" a few times faster and stronger than a regular human.

Read my reply above.

You need to read more Marvel comics.

If we are talking MCU its tough because such scalings are never explicity stated.
But comic steve is peak human.

As in on the grading there is
Sub Human - People or beings actually weaker than most humans
Human - The average man(Think bruce banner)
Trained(Athletic) Humans - Think people who gym a lot(alot of none super strength heroes are here)
Peak Human - The absolute max a human could reach
Super Human - Anything outside the realm of what a human could achieve.

Nothing Steve does is outside the realm of what a human could achieve so he is peak human, how he got there doesnt matter...its the actual result that matters.
He is just peak at pretty much every category.

Thats pretty much how "powerlevels" are ranked, its not about how you got there, its about where you are.

Otherwise you could get characters who were crippled or super weak took some serum that let them walk are they now Super Humans because they can walk even if their strength, speed whatever is normal levels?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So, the suit doesn't further enhance his already superhuman strength in the comics either? 'cause that's the way I saw it in the movies.

C'mon, man. Don't be that guy.
His suit is for protection and offense, doesn't make him any stronger or faster.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I'm more of a DC Comics fan, but if this detail prevents me from replying to a thread about a Marvel character, then please accept my apologies.

Not as an insult dont get me wrong.
Its more that I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

As in Marvel even characters who are enhanced can fall in the "peak human" category.
It seems to me like you are taking the Peak vs Super in a more literal sense like its the real world.

In the comics Steve has done nothing that gets him out of the Peak Human category.

Peak and Super are actual categories within the Marvel Universe.

P.S Im a huge DC fan hell my Avatar is Catwoman.
The Avatar I used before this was Wonder Woman.
My tag on the other side was Wonder Woman esc.

Oct 27, 2017
So, the suit doesn't further enhance his already superhuman strength in the comics either? 'cause that's the way I saw it in the movies.
That's not what happened in the movies though. Watch Civil War. T'Challa is just as agile and strong without his suit. It just provides some extra features, like the claws and the vibranium weaving

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
So, the suit doesn't further enhance his already superhuman strength in the comics either? 'cause that's the way I saw it in the movies

You missed the whole part where he had to take an antidote to remove his superpowers in order to have a fair fight when his crown was challenged in hand to hand combat? And took another potion to restore them?