• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Capcom still back?

• Yes

Votes: 656 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 16.1%

• Total voters

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles the other day, which was a great ride, and reminded me that I missed the series so much. More Ace Attorney seems imminent too, which is really good news. The Monster Hunter series is at its best, and it also has the the widest array of fans following it nowadays, being extremely popular on every console and PC. Not to mention that with the new height of its popularity, we're done with waiting for games that may or may not get localized and all that uncertainty.

The other big Capcom series, Resident Evil, is probably on a different spot, as maybe not everyone likes the current direction, but there's at least one big RE game coming every year, either it's new or a remake or a spin off, that it certainly seems like Capcom doesn't want to leave any fan unsatisfied. I personally really liked RE7, and RE8 is one of my games of the year. Proper DMC was back a couple of years ago, and while a 6th game doesn't seem likely at the moment, we're bound to see the return of a game that I really loved, Dragon's Dogma. Street Fighter is probably in a weird transition phase at the moment, which probably makes it the one big franchise with a certain degree of uncertainty, though key people like Ono leaving might not be a bad change necessarily.

Capcom had a lot of defining games the past generation, which gathered both critical and commercial success, and the future looks pretty good I'd say. The late 00s/early 10s days, which were unequivocally a kind of bad period, are behind them. While we actually don't know much of what they're working on right now, officially at least, I think it's safe to say that this generation has, once again, good prospects for them. So, yeah, I hope Capcom continues to have the output they currently have.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has never left since RE7 dropped.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
They made Monster Hunter Stories 2, so yes.

Although they had help from Marvelous.

But still yes.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting to see if they give SFVI the attention and polish it deserves at launch.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They never left. It's been a continuous company, they never went out of business or anything

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're killing it. Bought more Capcom games this year than any other year in recent memory.

They've had one heck of a lineup in 2021...
Ghost n' Goblins Resurrection
Monster Hunter Rise
Resident Evil Village
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
This notion of capcom being back has been wrong to begin with, ignoring their handheld output because it doesn't fit the narrative of home console focused forums is getting tiring.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
They're still leagues above their 7th gen incarnation, but still behind they're 6th. If R3make had more time in the oven, I'd say they'd be close.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
The only thing missing now is an entirely new mainline Third Person Resident Evil game for the PS5/XSX/PC.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Outside of pushing PC players to the side and a few quirks, I'd say so.

- Not bringing RE7 VR to PC after saying the PS4 had it exclusively for only 1 year
- Not adding RayTracing to Devil May Cry V on PC, but being fine with selling the DLC
- Horrible DRM implimentation on RE:VILLAGE causing people with legit copies to experience hitching/stuttering.
- RE3: Remake being no where near as high quality or content rich as RE2: Remake
- Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Netcode being just awful

Edit - Added specific examples

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Resident evil 7 and 8, Monster Hunter Stories Gen Ultimate, Rise, , World, Monster Hunter Stories 2 (even though it was made by marvelous and a co-lab with capcom)

They never went away but sure as hell are going full throttle now

Still hoping for a Dragon's Dogma 2 victory lap.

Oct 29, 2017
Waiting to see if they give SFVI the attention and polish it deserves at launch.

This is the main one for me.

They used to be the kingpins in fighting games, but they've been eating their competition's dust on quality this gen. The new people working on SFV have done great work on it post-Ono, but the real test will be how they handle a new SF from scratch.

A new, proper Mega Man X on console/PC would be great, too, but that's more a "nice to have" than a necessity.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Also yeah, they need to release a proper fighting game now to be 100% back

Jun 20, 2021
I can't stop playing Resident Evil Village. Completing the game and unlocking challenges turns it into an entirely different game altogether that is constantly rewarding.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
They've released Resident Evil Village, Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, and The Great Ace Attorney just in the last few months. Yeah, they're doing fine.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They're still on an absolute hot streak, yes.

The last 3 years, I've been keeping an ongoing document of my GOTY rankings because I've enjoyed participating in this site's user GOTY polls each year. Capcom has 3 games in my current top 10, and at least 2 of them are very unlikely to get knocked out of it based on what I'm anticipating for the remainder of the year.

I've been loving their output since RE7, as others have stated.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they are
I just need that RE Outrage, Switch-related and in third person. Something in line with Code: Veronica and I'm more than good

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They'll be back when I can buy and play the Battle Network Collection. 😉

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't made Viewtiful Joe 3, or ported the games to modern consoles, so for me it's a No.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
They've released Resident Evil Village, Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, and The Great Ace Attorney just in the last few months. Yeah, they're doing fine.
And Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection, Capcom Arcade Stadium. And some pretty damn good DLC for SFV.

So yeah, Capcom most certainly is still "back". Would be nice if we could see a few more obscure sequels from their series (playing the Arcade Stadium reminded me how much I love Trojan) but I'm overjoyed with just how incredibly solid Capcom's output over the last gen has been.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I think DMC V is the best action game ever made. Re7 and 8 are amazing and Monster Hunter World got me into that series.

Resi 2 and 3 Remake were also incredible.

They are killing it. Banger after banger. Best developers of the last few years.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
There's really just the two monster hunter games I really liked in their recent output.
I was ready for re2 but I didn't know the game go down so much after the police station and dmc5 with a dragging campaign and some stepbacks in combat wasn't it either.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If they can make a new FG without fucking it up somehow then they'll truly be back
This, though I do have some hope for the new guard (even if Luke wasn't exactly them starting the SFVI hype train on the right foot). That being said, Capcom still needs to clean up shop regarding their problematic actors.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I'll always be grateful for Monster Hunter but we'll talk when they successfully bring back Breath of Fire.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This notion of capcom being back has been wrong to begin with, ignoring their handheld output because it doesn't fit the narrative of home console focused forums is getting tiring.

Yeah well said. My favourite Capcom game remains Ghost Trick Phantom Detective despite playing almost all the games Capcom have released over the past few years.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Incredible games one after the other. One of, if not the best developer of recent years.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're killing it. Bought more Capcom games this year than any other year in recent memory.

They've had one heck of a lineup in 2021...
Ghost n' Goblins Resurrection
Monster Hunter Rise
Resident Evil Village
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Yep, this lineup is killer and they might not even be done yet. GnG is the most divisive of these, but the rest are all 8s or 9s. Fantastic lineup.