• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is camping bad?

• Yes

Votes: 413 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 399 37.2%
  • Depends on the map

Votes: 262 24.4%

• Total voters

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Well designed games and maps don't really have a camping problem. In poorly designed games camping can be a massively anti-fun tactic to deal with.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
I think there's a big different between camping and holding down an area. Like playing Domination and sticking to one point to defend is different to just sitting in a corner somewhere. Feel like some people get the two mixed up.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
It's only bad if the game lets you camp spawn points. Otherwise most games offer numerous ways to flush out campers (grenades and the like).

And ofcourse, camping is essential for bad players. It's a crutch, and there's a reason that games that remove easy crutches like this and punish camping don't do so well (IE: Titanfall 2).
Yep Facts right here. The sad part is that the campers are in denial about it.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Camping is mostly low talent map memorization in an attempt to keep up that k/d

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The hate for camping really gained traction with Quake. At the time, previous first person shooters had rewarded constant mobility and circle strafing. However the added dimension of looking up and down made camping a viable option that seemed against the spirit of contemporary First Person Shooters. With the way things are now, I would say that camping and anti camping tactics are both fundamental strategies towards achieving victory in the much more complex gameplay systems we currently have. So no, camping isn't bad, but whining about it is.
I can only comment on Quake 3 Arena but campers didn't fair well in that game at all and would quickly give up. Keeping on the move was pretty much essential in that game so players attempting to camp just made themselves sitting targets haha.

Aug 10, 2019
I can only comment on Quake 3 Arena but campers didn't fair well in that game at all and would quickly give up. Keeping on the move was pretty much essential in that game so players attempting to camp just made themselves sitting targets haha.
Honestly, camping has never been that great a strategy... and that's why it's not bad.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Depends on the game.
Exactly.
If a game has some roll/dash/stealth/block/survive mechanic that allows you to bypass the blockade alive, or if the game always features multiple paths to be able to take a detour/flank, or if you can reach them anyway, then there are ways to deal with a guarded chokepoint.

If the game is a dynamic one-shot one-kill with some range and time required to aim, a chokepoint can become simply a grinder.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I think it depends. If you're just in one room the whole time while barely leaving or you sit in a dark ass corner just to get easy kills, you a bish, but if you run around a certain area of the map, constantly running back and forth, that's fine.

i won't complain about snipers who camp, that's what a sniper does and honestly the only way you're going to do your team any sort of good as long as you're a good shot in TDM.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Camping is a perfectly legitimate strategy.

It's purely situational of course. I'd hate to be the kind of person who only hides in a toilet on PUBG early game, but late game it could be the winning tactic.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Camping is bad when you have no recourse against campers.
Good shooter design should always place more tools in the hands of offense--e.g. R6S attackers having better weapons.
Modern Warfare sucks in this regard.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't fun to deal with, other than maybe in Battlefield where you can blow up the area, or Rainbow Six Siege where it has very clear counters.

Otherwise it's a nuisance.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
It really only bothers me when team mates camp for kills on objective modes. People who ignore the objective on domination/conquest etc, are assholes

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Playing Modern Warfare right now and did a bit of camping. Found a good spot and was taking some good kills. Kinda feel bad about it,but not really.....

our team still lost badly, but I was the top player in my team. :)

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see camping in the same light as fireball/projectile spam in fighting games.

Assuming there isn't some major balance issues with the game itself, the receiving player should adapt and counter appropriately.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I wonder if people find camping to be a problem in CoD because they like to sprint everywhere and keep losing what should be thier peekers advantage to the delay in pulling up your gun after sprinting.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As soon as you die to a camper, you know exactly where they are on the map and what their loadout and strategy is. If you can't kill them with that info, then you deserve to lose. Git gud.
I don't know that this is always the case, it depends where they are. Maybe you can lob a grenade over there but maybe they have enough room to maneuver to not be killed by it. Maybe you would have to go up after them through a bottleneck. Maybe they have a perk or something that limits explosives damage. Maybe they have a perk where they can shoot through the wall a bit. I can def see where while you are trying different things to root them out and are getting killed it would be frustrating.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I don't mind it, but i get why others do, even more so when it's a team whose doing it as a whole, guarding multiple choke points. It's not so much that it's a "cowards way of fighting", it's more like in certain cases, it's hard to counter; either because of the design of the map not allowing for multiple options to flank, or because it's a team effort, and all vantage points are well guarded.

Like, if you're fighting a team in MW(Modern Warfare), and they capture a good spot to camp in on something like TDM(Team Death Match), getting to them is going to be an annoying time for most. Panning into view and trying to outgun them isn't viable, because you'll be the one who's coming into view very clearly for the enemy, as you'll be the only thing that's moving into the enemies line of sight, while looking for the "camper" is harder since they'd stay stationed at a spot that's hard to see, especially at a distance when blending into the background is made easier. Then there's the perks that mitigate blast damage and concussion effectiveness, on top of the trophy system, which just negates all tacticals and lethals after a set amount of uses, so tossing nades is rendered useless at that point.

The only viable option at this point is to try to outgun and predict which side in the enemies line of sight is the weakest, and try to take advantage of that, but then the games movement speed just exacerbates this issue, because movement isn't as erratic, making you an easier target to hit.

It's a totally viable strategy, and it isn't one that I'll ever complain about; it very much is the case of MOST people nowadays like to run and gun, and sometimes, the game just isn't designed with that in mind. That most people refuse to adapt to a situation is totally on them, and it's stupid to claim something is broken just because it's essentially na hard counter for your style of play.

On an off note(just because this thread feels like it's about the camping complaints in MW),I honestly do wonder if this'll hurt the life of cycle of MW, just because it's the same shit that happened to ghost. Mind you, running and gunning in that game was WAAAAAY easier than in MW.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I believe the term you guys refer to as camping is actually called "Stragetic Placement" Thank you very much.

Seriously though I hate it. Doesn't feel good to do or be done on. I just feel that you're not really getting much out of the game doing it for most games. Objective game modes sure there's some leighway there. But especially from a deathmatch standpoint I frown upon it personally.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Nah, if anything the people who whine and cry about it are more annoying.

All the nasty and racist shit that comes out of their mouth ( you've heard it too) whilst their asses are handed to them by a stationary target. Use a little intelligence and strategy? Flank them?

If the camper is truly unable to be touched then that would be just bad game/level design.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Entered a Halo free for all tourney once and the dude won by hiding in a corner and shooting everyone who was distracted

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of PUBG, specifically 1-Man Squad games, where you play by yourself against teams of up to 4 players. The odds are massively stacked against you from the start, you get insta-killed but anyone in a squad can be revived multiple times, most firefights are you vs 3/4 players all focused on you etc. so the smartest thing to do a lot of the time is camp/play it safe. It's won me chicken dinners and that's the aim of the game.

I've been killed by players hiding in the bathroom of the same house for 10 minutes, or hiding in a bush etc. but at the end of the day you just have to be smarter to avoid those situations.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, especially in MW. There's people camping everywhere, and there's too many places so it's never really a predictable spot.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I voted "No" but then I realized I'm in the gaming side so I changed my vote to "Depends on the map" but now I'm confused again because real life camping also depends on the map?

edit: depends on the map is the right choise. Also, going to bed.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im camping my way to many free for all top 3s in MW, usually with 4 deaths or so...oh the rage I hear directed at me...ITS GLORIOUS. I dont play COD like a COD player, I play it like an R6 or CS player...and not shockingly at all, it works.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm what I like to call an "Active Camper" -- it's more about finding 5-6 good areas on the map that have multiple sight lines out, and only one entrance in. Then you kind of "hold position" -- and once you get killed / sussed out, you move on to your next good position.

But yea people that just sit in a corner and wait for someone to run past are lame.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm what I like to call an "Active Camper" -- it's more about finding 5-6 good areas on the map that have multiple sight lines out, and only one entrance in. Then you kind of "hold position" -- and once you get killed / sussed out, you move on to your next good position.

But yea people that just sit in a corner and wait for someone to run past are lame.
I mean, I'd just call that active defense lol. A sniper who doesn't move after a shot is a really shit one.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
So what happens if everyone camps, OP?
Everyone be like
maxresdefault.jpg

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
There are a lot of replies in this thread that validate camping as a tactic on the psychological effect it has on your enemies alone.

If your so upset about someone camping that you are literally calling people cowards over video game tactics, then I can only imagine how much it's throwing some of you off in-game.

Can I get a show of hands from the people who voted yes how many times you got killed by a camper and then blindly rushed to the exact same spot only to be killed by the same camper, now 5 feet in a different direction? I can taste the salt.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
There are a lot of replies in this thread that validate camping as a tactic on the psychological effect it has on your enemies alone.

If your so upset about someone camping that you are literally calling people cowards over video game tactics, then I can only imagine how much it's throwing some of you off in-game.

Can I get a show of hands from the people who voted yes how many times you got killed by a camper and then blindly rushed to the exact same spot only to be killed by the same camper, now 5 feet in a different direction? I can taste the salt.

I think it's more about how sitting in one spot and pressing the fire trigger when someone crosses your path takes no skill, and moreso it's not how the game was intended to be played. But if people are able to get away with this consistently and do better because of it, it's a problem with game design. The boundaries of the game are so that skill is not what wins the game at that point.

While I'm enjoying modern warfare, they definitely went backward on that front. Not only are there a ton more hiding spots, but the lighting and clutter of the maps make it even easier to hide in a corner. Plus the footsteps are super loud so you can always hear where people are coming from.

Edit: It also depends on how you define camping. Getting to a vantage point and making it your domain and then knowing when to leave is a legitimate strategy.

This is why I like games like Halo. Long TTK is more suited to game design when there's respawning. Halo for instance pushes you to constantly move; there's no reason not to.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yep Facts right here. The sad part is that the campers are in denial about it.

Nice little side effect of die hard campers though is that they usually can't do anything else. They never reposition so it's easy to repeatedly flush them out of their spots. Do it a few times and for the rest of the match they run around in an aimless panic because they aren't used to doing anything else.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yes, it's a terrible cheesedick tactic.

That's why Gnasher-fest Gears of War is the best multiplayer. It's like light to cockroaches.

May 18, 2018
Its funny. In my experience, 'most' who scream, shout, disagree or complain about campers, do camping themselves!

If I get killed by a Camper, you can sure bet I whisper under my breath 'camping bastard!' or whatever lol.

Who likes to be killed?

HOWEVER, they are allowed to play however the fuck they want.

I don't make the rules. I don't get to say how they should play. What weapons they use...

I think those who complain about it or act like they are above camping (probably camp themselves), are worse than the campers!

Who the **** made them judge and jury.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Everything about camping confuses me. Both the people who do it (it's boring) and the people who get mad at it because it's still a valid strat you can get around in any decent shooter.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
The only time that it made my blood boil is when getting close to a kill streak in CoD and some asshole who was 2-11 would be crouched or prone in a ridiculous spot with a shotgun and kill you ending the streak. Other games without streak based mechanics it's fine though. Just play around it.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I feel legit bad if I'm able to spawn camp with ease. But that's because the only competitive multiplayer game I've ever sunk a large amount of time in is Team Fortress 2, which makes great effort to combat spawn camping via spawn rooms and barriers that only the spawning team can cross. Thus, barring a few poorly designed maps, the only time I'm able to reliably spawn camp is if the matchmaking fucked up the team balance.

The most recent time this happened: I was on payload defense, spamming sticky bombs into the offensive spawn. Ideally, this should not have happened, because TF2 game design heavily favors the offensive team on asymmetrical maps - between the very gracious match timers, map design, and core mechanics like ubercharge. But none of that matters if all of the most skilled players are on defense.