• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is California Pizza Kitchen fast food?

• Yes

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 121 74.7%

• Total voters

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
It's that weird tier TGIF/Chili's is in where it's not fast food but it's still a nationwide chain and not fancy at all

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Places like CPK will self-label as "fast casual" which really isn't many steps up from fast food. The main difference is that you're actually getting (some) tableside service and as a result the prices are higher, but the quality of the food is identical to what you'd get at a random franchised drivethrough anywhere in the Greater American Monoculture.

CPK's pizza quality is pretty bottom-tier fast food. So it is fast food. Expensive fast food, but still fast food.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I've been there once total over a decade ago and I thought it was a sit-down restaurant?

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever been to one, but I think you get seated, waited on, and your food is cooked to order? That's just a chain restaurant. Whether a place is in the fast food category is more about the style of service, and less the nature of the food itself. (Do you order at a counter or drive-thru, do they pre-prepare any of the dishes, etc.)

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I've never been in one but from the one I've seen at the mall I go to sometimes it seems to be a sit down restaurant.

I mean it could be one of those casual ones that make it seem like it's more than it is when a lot of the food is really microwaved so I don't know tbh.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is fast food any large chain that has a drive-thru? Cause that's how I've always thought of it (probably incorrectly so).

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The thing about good pizza (fresh dough, correct thickness, etc) cooked in a proper oven is always fast, but it's not fast food by the common reckoning.

California Pizza Kitchen makes their dough fresh, I'm told anyway, and they use wood stone ovens. So I'd say they're at least making it right. Fast food pizza would be Dominos. Frozen everything developed in a lab somewhere, plopped onto a conveyor belt oven, all thick and doughy. Ugh.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pizza is considered "fast food"? If I'm waiting 10-20 mins I dont really consider it fast food. (Little caesar's is the only exception)

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i'm just hopping in to say i've never had any food from CPK

am i missing out or nah

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's "casual dining" technically.
A casual dining restaurant (or sit down restaurant) is a restaurant that serves moderately priced food in a casual atmosphere. Except for buffet-style restaurants, casual dining restaurants typically provide table service. Chain examples include Harvester in the United Kingdom and TGI Fridays in the United States. Casual dining comprises a market segment between fast-food establishments and fine-dining restaurants. Casual-dining restaurants often have a full bar with separate bar staff, a full beer menu and a limited wine menu. They are frequently, but not necessarily, part of a wider chain, particularly in the US. In Italy, such casual restaurants are often called "trattoria", and are usually independently owned and operated.
So I guess this is tied to whether or not you think Applebees, Red Robin, etc. are fast food.

I'd say it probably is a fast food chain because it has all the trappings of a fast food chain, but with a sit-down vibe.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Can I go to the drive-thru (or hell to be generous, pick-up?), it's prepared within a couple minutes or less and I can eat it on-the-go?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Their pizza isn't *that* bad. I would take CPK over most of the other national brands any day if not for the poor price-to-pizza ratio. There are a lot of places you can't get good local pizza.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people think Pizza Hut isn't fast food. You can sit down to eat and there's no drive through at the ones that aren't also KFC/Long John Silver's/Taco Bell.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I thought QSR was literally the term of art for fast food restaurants with an inferiority complex, not middle-tier casual fare with sit-down service.
Nothing may compare to the interminably slow performance of a Buffalo Wild Wings (if this is somehow a QSR then the term has no meaning based on how consistently slow the service is at these across multiple locations across the country) but I think if you're being handed a check rather than paying at a counter it's hard for me to agree it's really quick-service whether or not you're sitting down when served. But I dunno, this stuff is pretty far afield from anything I have any real expertise in beyond putting on the McElroy podcast while I'm driving to and from work

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people think Pizza Hut isn't fast food. You can sit down to eat and there's no drive through at the ones that aren't also KFC/Long John Silver's/Taco Bell.
Pizza Hut isn't fast food. Pizza Hut Express is.

"Fast food" isn't about the quality or cuisine (although it's generally considered cheap / lowest-common-denominator). It's the method of service. If there's table service, especially if wait staff takes your order, it's not fast food. If you order at a counter or kiosk and there's no table service, it is. The occasional hybrids of counter ordering and table service probably fall under "fast casual". Which is a minor distinction.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to split hairs, does that mean Shake Shack isn't fast food? Or Chipotle?

I know technically both of them are "fast casual", but that's basically saying they're fast food with higher quality.
I think the thing is a lot of people put fast food as a food quality, when really fast food is about how the food is delivered and it just so happens it's usually just cheaper lower quality food. Some places do definitely chase the fast food tail chain by making relatively quickly to arrive and cheap to purchase food, but I would argue they aren't actually fast food as I'm not going to head to them for that as they don't have the appeals, speed or service of fast food or if I'm needing to get food fast, it's not where I'm stopping at because they're not going to get my food to m e as fast or be as simple to take with me on the go. They're options that are cheap and serviceable and are like fast food, and some like Pizza Hut deliver, but they're not what I'm going to stop at for the specific need of fast food, rather just for cheap relatively quick dining.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It's that weird tier TGIF/Chili's is in where it's not fast food but it's still a nationwide chain and not fancy at all
Whether it's fast food or not isn't about the quality or fanciness. TGIF/Applebees and the like are sit down family restaurants not fast food. Hole in the wall diners aren't fast food either. And while you can get your food fast, I wouldn't consider buffets like golden corral, China buffet whatever fast-food. Same for cafeterias like the apparently defunct Morrison's or Piccadilly's.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. No restaurants with table service fit into the "fast" umbrella. They're squarely in the casual restaurant category, along with Chili's, Friday's, Applebees, etc.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
No.

It might not rise above fast food quality wise, but by definition it's not fast food.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I actually forgot they existed. Surprised theyre still around but I put them on the same level as Chili's, TGI Friday's, Olive Garden etc, and I never go to those either.