• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Carol Danvers fan, I never understood where the fck this came from. I mean the writers passed this chick around like a basketball to the MARVEL men but this one was weird, not that it lasted but they tried it again later or at least insinuated they were going too.
smmm5.jpg
Knowing about this relationship had me a little uncomfortable with how Captain Marvel says, "Hey Peter Parker, heard you got something for me" in Endgame

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Bulma and Vegeta would have made way, way more sense post Cell Games but that would have destroyed the timing of the plot and a decent portion of Vegeta's character growth.

Also HarryxGinny was stupid. I figured Harry should have a Frodo type ending or something similar to Dumbledore where he just wasn't married. That was back before Dumbledore was gay and I just figured he was asexual or wasn't about that life.

I'm kinda surprised they
imagine knowing your partner casually blew up planets and had a part in a yamcha kill.

There's a joke somewhere here about the lack of available men that haven't had a part in a Yamcha kill.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think any pairing in Dragon Ball makes sense, to be honest.

I still wish Goku hooked up with anyone, anyone other than Chi-Chi.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any pairing in Dragon Ball makes sense, to be honest.

I still wish Goku hooked up with anyone, anyone other than Chi-Chi.

Gohan/Videl does make sense. It's just a shame Videl lost her spark after they got together. (Also most of the Gohan/Videl moments were from the anime, lol.)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, back when I was watching DBZ when I was 7 the Vegeta x Bulma thing felt off to me. The passage of time means I've gotten used to it, but it still doesn't feel 100% right.

This is another one that was off. What the hell was Rowling thinking?
As we well know by now, she really wasn't. At least with certain decisions. She's gone on record to say that if she could do it all over again she might have had Hermione end up with Harry instead. Theres also also the recent shit where she's popping up to tell us unnecessary details never even remotely mentioned in the books before. I still hold the world, the novels and their presence in my childhood as important and won't ever let go of the magic and my child like passion for it. But anything she says nowadays I ignore as the ramblings of an insane person who can't let go of the past.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I started watching MSG from the start with 0079 and the weirdest pairing was Mirai and Sleggar. It came completely out of nowhere which is even weirder because he slapped the shit out of her. Sleggar didn't last long but that pairing was so unnecessary. What's also funny was that it wasn't Sayla or Fraw, but Mirai having all the guys hung up on her when she looks like a side character.
images

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow and Banner in Age of Ultron still bothers me to this day. Biggest waste of time in a movie full of time wasters. Adds nothing to the plot, and the fact that Mark Rufallo is almost old enough to be Scarlett's dad is weird. Very unnecessary Whedon wank material.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow and Banner in Age of Ultron still bothers me to this day. Biggest waste of time in a movie full of time wasters. Adds nothing to the plot, and the fact that Mark Rufallo is almost old enough to be Scarlett's dad is weird. Very unnecessary Whedon wank material.
This one as well. The defense was "anything could have happened in the time between films" but ultimately it wasn't really telegraphed, they had only like one scene together that was remotely 'sweet' when she calmed down Hulk in the first film, and as a whole it just felt unnecessary on an already convoluted/bad movie.

I'm all for shipping but this one never felt right and the fact they entirely dropped it in all the later films just tell me it was something nobody was really happy with.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
That was more a dub thing, watching the Japanese original mkaes it kinda clear Matt and Sora would get together.

I've seen both the dub and the sub numerous times and I don't think the sub ever laid it on that much more thicker that Matt and Sora were meant to be, whereas Tai and Sora's friendship seemed to be a more obvious basis for a relationship - not to overemphasise how much the show made of their friendship.

It never bothered me Matt and Sora ended up together though, I think there was an interview about it somewhere a long time ago that the ending for 02 was originally planned for the original series, including Matt and Sora getting married. They could've all grown up and married perfect strangers.

I'm just still amused by the fan reaction, especially here in the West.

Last edited:

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
This one as well. The defense was "anything could have happened in the time between films" but ultimately it wasn't really telegraphed, they had only like one scene together that was remotely 'sweet' when she calmed down Hulk in the first film, and as a whole it just felt unnecessary on an already convoluted/bad movie.

I'm all for shipping but this one never felt right and the fact they entirely dropped it in all the later films just tell me it was something nobody was really happy with.
You can tell it was all Wheadon, the moment he left the MCU that storyline was dropped like a rock. In IW and Endgame they feel like two close friends that haven´t see each other in a while instead of lovers

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I'm not even sure if these characters even met or interacted at any point in the story. But funnily enough, when it comes to Naruto pairings, it makes more sense than say, Sasuke/Sakura. Since they're just side characters who had no prior relation, we can just say "well they met and eventually got together as people do." There never was a foundation for them but they also don't necessarily not make sense. Sasuke and Sakura require you to think how it logically would end up that way.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen both, numerous times and I don't think the sub ever laid it on that thick, whereas Tai and Sora's friendship seemed to be more obvious basis for a relationship.

It never bothered me Matt and Sora ended up though, I think there was an interview about it somewhere a long time ago that the ending for 02 was originally planned for the original series, including Matt and Sora getting married.

I'm just still amused by the fact reaction, especially here in the West.
It bothered me back as a kid because my mentality was that if two people are childhood friends and super close then clearly that means it should evolve into romantic interest. Now it's clearer to me that solid friendship between a boy and a girl can remain as such without romance. But my kid mind was fucking rioting lmao.

I was also bothered by Matt's Brother and Tais sister not ending up together in the future or even dating when once again my thought was that any remote hint of attraction they had should mean they grow up together.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
You can tell it was all Wheadon, the moment he left the MCU that storyline was dropped like a rock. In IW and Endgame they feel like two close friends that haven´t see each other in a while instead of lovers
Well they never got to the point of lovers did they? They flirted and shared some emotions about their fears or whatever but I don't think they even kissed. Of course it wouldn't be a kisses and hugs reunion later, it could be spun that way if the writers wanted I guess, but the way it did happen still felt fine.

That's not to defend the original idea of the pairing, that was just weird, but still

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol no it wasn't it was always clear Sakura had no romantic interest in him or would ever it more being friends with him.

People remember the shonen logic, if a girl is already in romantic love with the character then its game.
Hell anime logic as a whole is childhood friends who grew up together never tend to end up together. Normally the primary love interest which might be a secret/forgotten childhood friend from years past, the first opposing gender of same age person they meet, or the character with the most clear romantic intentions (if not one and the same) that wins.

There's only a few Anime/manga I've seen with romance as a main angle where the above person doesn't win and it ends up being someone else that wins (the friendly buddy buddy person who roots for the hero in the background, or the 'mother figure' in the group of friends who acts as the grown up).

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
It bothered me back as a kid because my mentality was that if two people are childhood friends and super close then clearly that means it should evolve into romantic interest. Now it's clearer to me that solid friendship between a boy and a girl can remain as such without romance. But my kid mind was fucking rioting lmao.

I was also bothered by Matt's Brother and Tais sister not ending up together in the future or even dating when once again my thought was that any remote hint of attraction they had should mean they grow up together.

I was confused by Matt and Sora for the same reasons you were but I don't recall caring much about it.

TK and Hikari was the true travesty of the show.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Superman X Wonder Woman felt like this. They were good friends for decades and DC decides to reboot the universe and hook them up because I don't know.

It just seemed like DC got tired of all of the nerds arguing about how Supes could fuck Lois without killing her.

Batman x Wonder Woman makes more sense than Superman x Wonder Woman. Such a meet cute.

I find this so funny because a bunch of chapters later Goku get engaged with Chi-Chi and I find it like a way Toriyama did to avoid a possible romantic scenario between Bulma and Goku lmao

Goku and Bulma make sense I guess, but I think their platonic relationship is the heart of the series especially in Super where there is more domestic living episodes.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I think Bulma and Vegeta totally makes sense. She's super pushy and he's hella obstinate. They were meant for each other. Moreover, it was the correct plot decision because it's made their characters and subsequent plots far more interesting. Vegeta has be been the perfect rival for Goku.

Now, more controversially is the Harry Potter romances, but I gotta be honest I think Rowling made the right decision. People like Harry and Hermione do not meld well in the real world. They'd be constantly competing with each other which would destroy the relationship. Both Harry and Hermione need people who can temper the stronger and more unbearable aspects of their personalities - basically help them chill out - which the Weasleys do very well. The only real issue, as others have said, is the ham-fisted way Rowling set up Harry and Ginny.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hell anime logic as a whole is childhood friends who grew up together never tend to end up together. Normally the primary love interest which might be a secret/forgotten childhood friend from years past, the first opposing gender of same age person they meet, or the character with the most clear romantic intentions (if not one and the same) that wins.

There's only a few Anime/manga I've seen with romance as a main angle where the above person doesn't win and it ends up being someone else that wins (the friendly buddy buddy person who roots for the hero in the background, or the 'mother figure' in the group of friends who acts as the grown up).

I wonder how much of this can be thrown at the feet of Rumiko Takahashi and her work on Urusei Yatsura.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Actually you can tell exactly when this shift in affection happened for Bulma:
tumblr_p137gpy5tz1uuj1vto2_500.png

Any man who can own this shirt and rock the look is a Man who Fucks, and Bulma understood that fully in this one moment.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
It's not really too much of a stretch to see why Bulma would be attracted to Vegeta, or vice versa. What I find hard to digest is why Vegeta would marry her. Of all the characters Vegeta seems like the the least likely to want to "settle down" and want a family life(maybe Roshi too). Oh well I guess it's just another silly comic book so probably a waste of time trying to figure it out.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I don't blame anyone for thinking Naruto would end up with Sakura.

The series loved inundating its audience with its parallels and I do think it did a lot of ground work to push Sakura way from the Sasuke the "bad boy that broke her heart" to the Naruto the "good guy that won her over" like she was some kind of prize. All those parallels drawn to Jiraiya/Tsunade and Obito/Rin only seemed to reinforce the notion Naruto's love wouldn't be unrequited because he was the "chosen one." Hell, as time went on, the series even drew direct parallels to Sakura/Kushina. By the time it came out Road to Ninja had me thinking it was actually endgame because it was really a movie that put Naruto and Sakura's relationship front and centre. Non-canon and all that, but Kishimoto wrote that movie, I think?

Nov 17, 2017
Vegeta didn't kill him.
I think this is actually the excuse Toriyama uses. Vegeta conveniently has Nappa/Saibamen kill all of the Z Fighters except for Krillin and Gohan when Goku arrives and forces Vegeta to actually do something. It wasn't that Vegeta wouldn't have killed them because he wasn't that evil, it's just that it was below him to do so. So Nappa is the bad, evil saiyan that doesn't deserve a second chance while Vegeta does get a chance since he never technically killed anyone.

Basically, revive the Saibaman with the Dragon Balls and have him and Yamcha become best friends.

lol no it wasn't it was always clear Sakura had no romantic interest in him or would ever it more being friends with him.

People remember the shonen logic, if a girl is already in romantic love with the character then its game.
Yeah, it was super obvious when Sakura lies to Naruto about being in love with him. Like at that point, they weren't going to have Naruto and Sakura get together. Sakura never had an interest in him.

I can see people overlooking that and seeing other "hints", like when Minato compares Sakura to his wife. Naruto loves to do the "new generation mirrors the old" thing so Sakura and Kushina having similarly fiery personalities probably had people thinking Naruto/Sakura was a sure thing.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So... technically Vegeta does explain why he ended up with Bulma, which also applies to Goku and Chi-chi: Saiyans are naturally attracted to strong-willed women. You could even apply that to Gohan and Videl.
Hmmmm.... This doesn't explain Gine and Bardock's situation tho.

Especially since they BOTH seem kind hearted and caring in the retcon.