• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
I'm still mad about it. That being said, being actively mad takes time and I don't care that much. I'll buy it, do my one playthrough, and then give it away.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if dumb internet rage is just par for the course at this point and so companies roll their eyes and let it die down on its own because regardless of whether or not you're right/wrong you're little dick having ass is gonna buy it anyway.

This is just straight up rude and I don't even care if there's a National Dex or not.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg
Been saying this from the beginning

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Lol what? You literally said:

"There's a valid argument to be made, but it got lost long ago when those who go overboard, no matter how few, went overboard."

In your own words, no one who is pro-national dex is allowed to make an argument because of the extremists that went overboard.

Do you do this will religion? race? It has been, and will always be a bad idea to categorize groups by extremist members.

"But this whole charade lost any standing it had the minute it went to the toxic and vitriolic lengths it eventually ended up going to."

Explain to me how this is "empathy". You're literally discounting anyone's opinions you don't agree with, not empathizing with them.
How dare you have an opinion on a video game that someone who did something bad and extreme also has on that video game? You're horrible and deserve to be called an idiot, a little baby, all sorts of shit and you're entitled and toxic for even thinking about having an opinion on a video game that's similar to someone like that!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I guess most people involved moved on and decided to simply not buy it. I know I did and I was pretty passionate about it
Pretty much this for me and being tired of being told I'm a toxic, entitled manchild because I don't suck the farts from Game Freak's ass.
Sure, and you told them. Then the developers said, sorry, but we aren't budging.
Telling them "but we don't like it" after that is irrelevant, because they already know that, that's why they responded to begin with.
And people don't want to roll over and be good little consumers. Giving up when a corporation says no is some defeatist bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah cause Nintendo/GF ever listen to criticism, lol.

These games will break pokemon records anyway, why would they give a shit over a bunch of social media dislikes? Most of the ones complaining are probably going to buy the games too

???

Forgetting that Nintendo listened to the Zelda crowd, who were complaining that the formula were stale by the time Skyward Sword came out, which resulted in Breath of the Wild? Or how people shit all over Wind Waker because of its "childish" graphics resulting in Twilight Princess being similar to Ocarina of Time. I don't know where this argument that Nintendo doesn't listen to criticism come from.

And also, where does this whole "this game will break Pokemon records anyway" come from? You do realize the best selling Pokemon games were RBY and GSC? None of the games since have ever touched that total, and likely never will due to the nature of the Pokemon series in the late 90s.

For a better comparable, Let's Go's legs are completely gone and that game sold just below 11 million (well below fans' lofty expectations that this would sell around 20mil). There's also an argument for the whole controversy on Twitter souring enough people to where any potential Switch boost might be nullified now.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
How dare you have an opinion on a video game that someone who did something bad and extreme also has on that video game? You're horrible and deserve to be called an idiot, a little baby, all sorts of shit and you're entitled and toxic for even thinking about having an opinion on a video game that's similar to someone like that!

It's true, I am actually the worst. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, I will now change all of my feelings and accept willingly what the corporate overlords allow me to have.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
???

Forgetting that Nintendo listened to the Zelda crowd, who were complaining that the formula were stale by the time Skyward Sword came out, which resulted in Breath of the Wild? I don't know where this argument that Nintendo doesn't listen to criticism come from.

And also, where does this whole "this game will break Pokemon records anyway" come from? You do realize the best selling Pokemon games were RBY and GSC? None of the games since have ever touched that total, and likely never will due to the nature of the Pokemon series in the late 90s.

For a better comparable, Let's Go's legs are completely gone and that game sold just below 11 million (well below fans' lofty expectations that this would sell around 20mil). There's also an argument for the whole controversy on Twitter souring enough people to where any potential Switch boost might be nullified now.

Also, they clearly felt the backlash was strong enough to at least respond.

These games may very well sell the most in a pokemon series ever, that doesn't mean voicing your opinion is a bad idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I hope so. I wonder how alive it ever was though.

Often when I see folks out there nerd raging about stuff, they seem to think they're a much more sizable number than they actually are.

Like, if you even think harassing Gamefreak employees and spamming the Pokemon social media accounts is going to change the game, you probably think some large number of you actually care that much.

Everything about this is dumb, though. It's been fun getting back into Nintendo the 2 (almost 3) years now, but some of the fans are just terrible.

Hopefully they realize that they can just not buy it, and maybe even channel their anger into fighting actual injustice.
Meanwhile, normal folks will continue to buy the game, enjoy it, and move on without ever noticing that which seems like a big deal to these few.

Pretty much this for me and being tired of being told I'm a toxic, entitled manchild because I don't suck the farts from Game Freak's ass.

2c534b95-2acf-47e9-9b17-b2ad775af6f4_text_hi.gif

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The hashtag got an official response. so at minimum it will be a consideration and may even happen as soon as the expansion games they always release each gen

But it won't happen by November and people who are aggrieved that the hashtag is dying may or may not understand that the hashtag has served its purpose. Continually trying to spam it makes those people look childish.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awful lot of people who apparently aren't buying the games in the news thread today.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
The hashtag got an official response. so at minimum it will be a consideration and may even happen as soon as the expansion games they always release each gen

But it won't happen by November and people who are aggrieved that the hashtag is dying may or may not understand that the hashtag has served its purpose. Continually trying to spam it makes those people look like jerks and childish.

Disagree. If you feel passionately about something, keep speaking up about it as long as you don't go over the line.

Pokemon can handle a few hashtags, people have a right to be upset if they want to be.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at any Pokemon tweet its less a matter of delegitimizing arguments when there's barely an argument to be found. Mostly just memes, spam and insults.
Reasonable arguments must be burried deep in there somewhere because I haven't seen any.
There was plenty of arguments being shared here, the problem was people were too busy making the people who brought them up look unreasonable instead of actually engaging with the arguments.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Why are you surprised that a controversy flared up and is now dying down. That's how controversy works everywhere, but especially in the gaming part of the internet.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That hashtag led to nonsensical abuse and good riddance to that movement of manchildren.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
If the sales plummet on this one compared with past games, that's going to do far more to change things than any social media campaign ever could.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope so. I wonder how alive it ever was though.

The part people forget about is that this controversy reached Twitter, which I think has a clear effect. Not the Battle Frontier in ORAS, and not the lack of post-game in XY. This was the first time that people openly criticized the Pokemon games in such a public forum.

The other controversies I mentioned in comparison, were limited to gaming forums and /vp/.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First let me stress that the cut Pokémon thing doesn't bother me but I do feel that Game Freak made some mistakes with delivering the cut Pokémon message and the timing was poor because of those mistakes. It could've been handled better on their end.

At E3 Masuda could've laid it all out by saying this is our policy moving forward(which he did) and here's why, he goes on to explain it. Then followed up on Pokémon Home info with how the Pokémon who are stuck there can be used and maybe even reveal some stuff about Home at that point to make it seem not so bad.

They didn't do that. They drugged it out and released statements after the fact which only fueled the nonsense.

I don't fault Game Freak for cutting the Pokémon if that's their design choice moving forward. I fault them for how they handle it. Game Freak unintentionally fueled the #nationaldex for a good month.

That's besides the point... besides comments on Era I don't see anything related to the #nationaldex much anymore while people I know irl never cared about it.

Also, you're right. I misunderstood your post. I remember being told what you said pre Let's Go launch whenever I brought up the motion control thing and reacted the way I did.
I agree with all of this. I don't fault Game Freak for making the decision they did. I do think it was handled extremely poorly, and their messaging could have been better.
Also, sorry, what did I say pre-Let's Go launch? If I dismissed your concerns about the forced motion controls, I sincerely apologize for that.

But there are always some assholes that take things too far. Always. I just don't share the viewpoint that the hashtag and all the other jazz lost their standing because some crazy people got inevitably involved. For me it just seems like the people arguing for GF's decision took these asshole's actions and used them to paint everyone arguing against GF's decisions with the same brush.
This deligitimizing of arguments has obviously worked, hence your stance that changed on the matter. I just don't think deligitmizing people's argument that way is good for any discourse. Most of people stayed respectful, but at some point even sharing the hashtag was seen as toxic, and I think that's wrong.
It's not just the delegitimizing. It's also that after a while, spamming social media isn't achieving anything. They said they won't budge on this. The best way to actually affect change, if you want change affected, is to vote with your wallets, not buy the game, not subscribe to Home, and show them that Pokemon is not invulnerable to fan backlash.
If you care about this problem enough for it to supercede your enjoyment of the game.

My apologies, I'll get to that now.
Excusing people trying to start arguments intentionally in a thread about an announcement is just silly. I'm not excusing people who are toxic about the National Dex, but there are a lot of people who simply talk about the National Dex stuff to feel superior to those who actually do feel upset or care about it. It's a valid thing to be upset about. I'm not looking to be called an idiot for having an opinion on a video game lmao and it's wild that "it's no wonder" that people are doing that.
Yeah, I agree there are a lot of assholes on the "lolNationalDex" side too. I agree that they are every bit as toxic as what they want to portray the BBND brigade as.

Lol what? You literally said:

"There's a valid argument to be made, but it got lost long ago when those who go overboard, no matter how few, went overboard."

In your own words, no one who is pro-national dex is allowed to make an argument because of the extremists that went overboard.

Do you do this will religion? race? It has been, and will always be a bad idea to categorize groups by extremist members.

"But this whole charade lost any standing it had the minute it went to the toxic and vitriolic lengths it eventually ended up going to."

Explain to me how this is "empathy". You're literally discounting anyone's opinions you don't agree with, not empathizing with them.
Holy misread, Batman. My post was literally in response to "everyone is called toxic". I'm telling you that the average person is less likely to give ya'all the benefit of the doubt because of some shitheads who went ahead and acted badly over this. I was explaining why people tend to call BBND toxic. At no point do I a) excuse anyone doing that without provocation, and b) say that you're not free to feel angry at TPCi about it.
I'm not going to go ahead and dig out my original posts from the first thread(s) on this issue talking about how I think Game Freak and TPCi have fucked up, you don't want to believe I am "empathetic", don't, I don't really care.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I still care about Pokémon and will watch the anime, just won't buy the game. Is this really supposed to be a "gotcha"?

I'd go one further, I plan on buying the game but that doesn't mean I can't criticize certain parts of it.

I've had a lot of shitty pizza in my life. Able to criticize what's wrong with it while still being able to enjoy it because even below average pizza is better than most meals.

I'll never get why buying a game makes it impossible to criticize for some people.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still care about Pokémon and will watch the anime, just won't buy the game. Is this really supposed to be a "gotcha"?
Not really, more an observation.

Seems to me like following and discussing news for a game I'm actively boycotting would be a bit of a dispiriting experience, but you do you.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. If you feel passionately about something, keep speaking up about it as long as you don't go over the line.

Pokemon can handle a few hashtags, people have a right to be upset if they want to be.
That's childish . If you ask for something and is told not right now you don't keep on asking

This isn't a moral or even financial issue where they are stealing or doing something that can be considered illegal. It's a.decision they made with respect to what to include in a game and It's inappropriate especially since the devs already gave you an answer for the game releasing this fall.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in there because I'm still interested in the games, but not enough to buy them new. I'll be getting a used copy of one of the games to vote with my wallet.

You do realize that's misguided as all hell? Even if you didn't buy it new, your used copy will still represent the number of copies sold in Game Freak's eyes. You might as well just buy it new in that case because you're clearly not voting with your wallet.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
God, I hope so. To say it had gotten exhausting would be disingenuous, because it was exhausting the moment it evolved from regular criticism into outrage, harassment, and threats.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I mean, by this point anyone who would know knows, any argument that would have been made has been , anyone who cares is probably made up their mind one way or the other.

I certainly decided against buying this generation, but I've no reason to post stuff on social media or in forums.

This shit ain't #BringBackTheSnyderCut, ain't no cult around the hashtag.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Hopefully it is.

Put your money where your mouth is. That's the business and that's how it should work. Simple.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I agree with all of this. I don't fault Game Freak for making the decision they did. I do think it was handled extremely poorly, and their messaging could have been better.
Also, sorry, what did I say pre-Let's Go launch? If I dismissed your concerns about the forced motion controls, I sincerely apologize for that.

It's not just the delegitimizing. It's also that after a while, spamming social media isn't achieving anything. They said they won't budge on this. The best way to actually affect change, if you want change affected, is to vote with your wallets, not buy the game, not subscribe to Home, and show them that Pokemon is not invulnerable to fan backlash.
If you care about this problem enough for it to supercede your enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, I agree there are a lot of assholes on the "lolNationalDex" side too. I agree that they are every bit as toxic as what they want to portray the BBND brigade as.

Holy misread, Batman. My post was literally in response to "everyone is called toxic". I'm telling you that the average person is less likely to give ya'all the benefit of the doubt because of some shitheads who went ahead and acted badly over this. I was explaining why people tend to call BBND toxic. At no point do I a) excuse anyone doing that without provocation, and b) say that you're not free to feel angry at TPCi about it.
I'm not going to go ahead and dig out my original posts from the first thread(s) on this issue talking about how I think Game Freak and TPCi have fucked up, you don't want to believe I am "empathetic", don't, I don't really care.

I don't know how anyone could take those quotes any other way. If you call people's arguments a "charade with no leg to stand on" expect them to feel attacked, not empathized with. That's not a "misread", that's your exact quote.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
The part people forget about is that this controversy reached Twitter, which I think has a clear effect. Not the Battle Frontier in ORAS, and not the lack of post-game in XY. This was the first time that people openly criticized the Pokemon games in such a public forum.

The other controversies I mentioned in comparison, were limited to gaming forums and /vp/.

Yeah I never even heard of those other alleged controversies. XD

I'll just take your word that someone at some point held those opinions and did their best to scream them loudly into some vacuum somewhere, along with the folks who didn't like the removal of the pistol in Halo 2, and other great movements.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
That's childish . If you ask for something and is told not right now you don't keep on asking

This isn't a moral or even financial issue where they are stealing or doing something that can be considered illegal. It's a.decision they made with respect to what to include in a game and It's inappropriate especially since the devs already gave you an answer for the game releasing this fall.

So all things that aren't moral or legal issues we're not allowed to comment on more than once?

Seems an ironic stance on the 5th page of the 129383924894324th National dex thread, but do you

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that's misguided as all hell? Even if you didn't buy it new, your used copy will still represent the number of copies sold in Game Freak's eyes. You might as well just buy it new in that case because you're clearly not voting with your wallet.
Uh, no? It's a copy that was already bought by someone else and they aren't getting a penny from me. There's a reason publishers and devs don't like used game sales.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is logical reasons on why they aren't all in there so that's why it died lol

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
So everyone's just going to ignore the fact that there was a literal pedophile using his Twitter outreach and shit to groom minors (Xenochu, his twitter has since been deleted because people were calling him out) who had a viral (or as viral as a tweet can be in this situation, it was retweeted by Serebii who obviously didn't know about the fact that he did these things, so no blame there at all of course) tweet because of defending the lack of a national dex? Yeah? Cool. I've brought it up multiple times in this very thread but people seem to think ONLY #BBND posters had bad people posting on Twitter but that definitely was something that happened. It's crazy how much people are ignoring that.

I'm not saying everyone in the GameFreak defending side is him, but come on. It's silly to equate everyone with the people who spread false accusations for Masuda and shit like that if they want the National Dex back but simultaneously ignore that shit.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
So everyone's just going to ignore the fact that there was a literal pedophile using his Twitter outreach and shit to groom minors (Xenochu, his twitter has since been deleted because people were calling him out) who had a viral (or as viral as a tweet can be in this situation, it was retweeted by Serebii who obviously didn't know about the fact that he did these things, so no blame there at all of course) tweet because of defending the lack of a national dex? Yeah? Cool. I've brought it up multiple times in this very thread but people seem to think ONLY #BBND posters had bad people posting on Twitter but that definitely was something that happened. It's crazy how much people are ignoring that.

People will ignore anything that weakens their stance.

Your opinion is different than theirs, and you are therefore wrong and misguided

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not buying these games won't leave a dent. A better method of 'voting with your wallet' would be to not get a Pokemon Home subscription. It'd be a nice surprise if there were a battling system but it'll probably just be like Poke Pelago.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
See, ya'all go ahead and say shit like this and then complain you're being called toxic.
And there it is. Anybody that doesn't have something nice to say is toxic, man I wonder why I would say something like what I did in that post?!
Not buying these games won't leave a dent. A better method of 'voting with your wallet' would be to not get a Pokemon Home subscription. It'd be a nice surprise if there were a battling system but it'll probably just be like Poke Pelago.
Oh trust me, I'm sure as fuck not touching Home.

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, no? It's a copy that was already bought by someone else and they aren't getting a penny from me. There's a reason publishers and devs don't like used game sales.

- Person buys game
- Person sells game to you
- Person gets money from you
- You now essentially take that person's place on the sale list

Like I said, that's misguided and a half-assed measure. Voting with your wallet would be not buying the thing to begin with.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Not really, more an observation.

Seems to me like following and discussing news for a game I'm actively boycotting would be a bit of a dispiriting experience, but you do you.

Hmm. I guess that makes sense. My boycott isn't an active sentiment, I'm thoroughly disinterested in the game (but still interested in what it brings to the lore if that makes sense lol) so it isn't really dispiriting. The game is just a way to present new designs now

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's shitty, and I hope he got arrested.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
- Person buys game
- Person sells game to you
- Person gets money from you
- You now essentially take that person's place on the sale list

Like I said, that's misguided and a half-assed measure. Voting with your wallet would be not buying the thing to begin with.
And none of my money goes to Game Freak and the game doesn't get another sale. Game Freak doesn't get anything from me buying a used copy. From their perspective I never bought the game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I have very little interest in the game due to my very high expectations. I know the game will sell gangbusters, especially with the Switch Mini, but why would others care if this hashtag exists or not? Sure the devs have responded and said "no", but does that mean those who care are meant to just shut up about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.