• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
Sailor Moon Another Story is the best anime based game in history. Rayearth and Tenchi Muyo are awesome too. And then we have terranigma, chrono, final fantasy V and VI, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III...

Oh lord op, you're just wrong

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I havent played a jrpg in so long, and last nite i finally finished off a game of the original ff7. I forgot how fun these are. Thats why i was talking about breath of fire and wild arms. Games ive had sitting around for years and never tried.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
There's a large nostalgia component, but there are so many top tier. Ff4-6, secret of mana, secret of evermore, earthbound, chrono trigger, SMRPG, illusion of Gaia we're all fantastic. That's nine off the top of my head and I know I didn't even play half of the ones not listed here but mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As a connoisseur of RPG Maker games I must inform you that you are wrong as fuck, friend.

...you might have a point.
Wild Arms 1 field graphics look worse than RPG Maker. I stand corrected.

Still, you are out of your damned mind if you believe Wild Arms is more graphically impressive than FF7. One of these two games was heralded as one of the most visually impressive console games ever made at the time... and it sure as shit wasn't Wild Arms 😂

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
As you said, the SNES had Chrono Trigger and FFVI, two of the absolute best RPGs on the planet.

It also had:
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Soul Blazer
Terranigma
Illusion of Gaia
EarthBound
Star Ocean
Breath of Fire 2
Bahamut Lagoon

And that's just off the top of my head. Your premise is false. You not liking the library of RPGs doesn't mean there are no good ones on the SNES, it means you don't like RPGs.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
i love breath of fire more than most people but 3 is one of the biggest offenders of random battles becoming extremely annoying over time

it's like every two steps

anyway dragon quarter is the best breath of fire

also breath of fire 1 is.......................................... i mean it's an rpg, i can say that much

(i still love it)

anyway snes rpgs are great you are a crazy person

also seriously play terranigma it's the least known best rpg out there

capcom you absolute, complete DIPSHITS give me a breath of fire collection

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
...you might have a point.
Wild Arms 1 field graphics look worse than RPG Maker. I stand corrected.

Still, you are out of your damned mind if you believe Wild Arms is more graphically impressive than FF7. One of these two games was heralded as one of the most visually impressive console games ever made at the time... and it sure as shit wasn't Wild Arms 😂

At the time it was certainly less impressive but its undeniable WA has aged far more gracefully than FF7 outside of battles.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
You can count all the SNES RPGs that are good on one hand. On PS1 I need twenty hands there are so many
Someone is forgetting Dragon Quest V and VI on Snes, and a whole slew of other outstanding JRPG's that have never been bettered since. You also forget that a lot of great games never got english releases, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Given Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6 plus Earthbound, Mana, Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG came out on it, not to mention Tactics Ogre, Bahamut Lagoon, Mana 3, and Dragon Quest V among others, I have to believe that this argument was not made in good faith.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
images

And I like BoF3, 4 as well as WA games...

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weekend ERA strikes when it's still the beginning of the week smh.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Given Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6 plus Earthbound, Mana, Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG came out on it, not to mention Tactics Ogre, Bahamut Lagoon, Mana 3, and Dragon Quest V among others, I have to believe that this argument was not made in good faith.

A lot of the jrpg games I found on SNES were more of prototypes found much later with their superior sequels or similar games. Like what Assassins Creed is to the later ones. Good for the time but do not hold up.

Like Breath of Fire 1 and 2 compared to 3 and 4, Tactics Ogre was much better on PSP and N64 also FFT blew it away, Super Mario RPG ...isn't Paper Mario a better more refined version of it? Even Lufia, Wild Arms took that generic story and formula and updated it with cool puzzles and story and setting. Lufia is still decent tbf though with its combat system and dungeon design. Star Ocean 1 and Tales of Phantasia are not great games today and haven't held up compared to their later entries. Look at the jump from Phantasia to Destiny or SO1 to SO2 for example.

There are some JRPGs that hold up like Dragon Quest series or FF games which seem timeless. So it was possible to make great games I just think the JRPG library is pretty overrated on SNES. Look at 7th Saga and Brainlord. Just because it has games like that doesn't mean they were amazing. Like it's not bad on it's own but compared to PS1 it doesn't come close imo

On PS1 there are so many that are still classics and very playable today. Suikoden, Wild Arms, Grandia, Star Ocean, VP, FF, Vagrant Story, FFT and they offer rich experiences today and have proper narratives and scope that aren't held back by space or lines from npcs that aren't 3 words.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Quarter is the best BoF game anyway. And one of the greatest games ever created, but most people aren't ready for that conversation.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Heathen. Drop whatever you're doing and play Terranigma right now. And you might as well play the other 2 games in the trilogy.
Tales of Phantasia is also a fantastic game. Earthbound. Super Mario RPG

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of SNES JRPGs were great but it obviously gets harder to go back to SNES era games as time passes. Still, if anything the JRPGs have probably aged the best among all genres.

I think Terranigma holds up very well. There's nothing like it really.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Terranigma, FFV, FFVI, DQV, Earthbound, Tactics Ogre, and Chrono Trigger are enough for me to say the SNES has a pretty good jrpg lineup. I kind of agree that the PS1 has the better lineup though.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 was when JRPG's started hitting their stride

CD's got rid of all the things that held back the genre on the SNES

Cartridge sizes and price

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
SNES is IMO the best console for JRPGS. In like a 5-6 year span you had

-Final Fantasy IV-VI
-Dragon Quest V and VI
-Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana
-Chrono Trigger
-Super Mario RPG
-Earthbound
-Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776
-Breath of FIre I and II
-Illusion of Gaia
-Secret of Evermore
-Lufia I and II
-Shin Megami Tensei I and II
-Star Ocean
-Tales of Phantasia
-Ys III-V

If you consider the 16-bit bit era as a whole who have Phantasy Star II-IV, Shining in the Darkness, and Shining Force I and II.

You can't count all that on one hand.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

-Final Fantasy IV-VI
-Dragon Quest V and VI
-Chrono Trigger
-Super Mario RPG
-Earthbound
-Breath of FIre I and II
-Illusion of Gaia
-Secret of Evermore
-Lufia I and II
-Star Ocean
-Tales of Phantasia
-Ys III-V

If you consider the 16-bit bit era as a whole who have Phantasy Star II-IV, Shining in the Darkness, and Shining Force I and II.

Do the Shining games on Megadrive hold up today? Isn't it supersceded by games like FE?

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the jrpg games I found on SNES were more of prototypes found much later with their superior sequels or similar games. Like what Assassins Creed is to the later ones. Good for the time but do not hold up.

Like Breath of Fire 1 and 2 compared to 3 and 4, Tactics Ogre was much better on PSP and N64 also FFT blew it away, Super Mario RPG ...isn't Paper Mario a better more refined version of it? Even Lufia, Wild Arms took that generic story and formula and updated it with cool puzzles and story and setting. Lufia is still decent tbf though with its combat system and dungeon design. Star Ocean 1 and Tales of Phantasia are not great games today and haven't held up compared to their later entries. Look at the jump from Phantasia to Destiny or SO1 to SO2 for example.

There are some JRPGs that hold up like Dragon Quest series or FF games which seem timeless. So it was possible to make great games I just think the JRPG library is pretty overrated on SNES. Look at 7th Saga and Brainlord. Just because it has games like that doesn't mean they were amazing. Like it's not bad on it's own but compared to PS1 it doesn't come close imo

On PS1 there are so many that are still classics and very playable today. Suikoden, Wild Arms, Grandia, Star Ocean, VP, FF, Vagrant Story, FFT and they offer rich experiences today and have proper narratives and scope that aren't held back by space or lines from npcs that aren't 3 words.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was actually a super famicom game before it got remade for the PSP. Paper Mario is in no way a more refined version of SMRPG, they play very differently (and imo Paper Mario is a regression on almost everything by choosing to focus entirely on Mario).

You're also overly fixated on BOF 3 and 4 being better than 1 and 2, which is the consensus, and keep comparing Wild Arms to Lufia. You realize there's way more stuff you're omitting? Other than FF 4-6 (which holds up better than 7-9) and DQ 5-6 and 1-2-3 (should be fair game since you include a Grandia, originally not a playstation game). What about Last Bible? Emerald Dragon? Treasure of the Rudras? The megami tensei games? The glory of heracles games? Bahamut Lagoon? Earthbound? Live a Live? Terranigma? Secret and Trials of Mana? Secret of Evermore? I could keep going.

The PS1 doesn't even manage to hold a candle to such a variety of rpgs. Other than omitting Chrono Cross and Xenogears, you've pretty much already listed the games worth playing. Not to mention games who abandoned 2d sprites for early 3d polygons (like the FFs and Legend of Dragoon) look like ass nowadays and have to be remastered or modded to seem somewhat appealing. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound still look lovely.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The majority of the games in these SNES lists never came out in English or had better versions on other consoles

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know the "official" discourse is that the golden era of jrpgs is the SNES but I think it's actually the PSX one with PS2 next. The SNES had a lot of good stuff but you just can't beat the PSX in numbers and quality

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweeping generalisations and a refusal to listen to other opinions? Yep it's a mogster7777 thread alright.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
do people finally realize that mogster only makes threads where everyone goes "What?"

Tons of great JRPG SNES games out there.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Snes RPGs to me were more fresher. By the time ps1 came around jrpgs were grounded and had a base set for any devs to come up with ideas. Those Snes Final fantasy games set a standard.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry that you feel this way, but leaving aside the fact that each of the series you've cited have their fans, there is also a ton more coming out than you're giving the genre credit for. Literally any Trails game is, at worst, decent. Dragon Quest XI. Octopath Traveler. Persona 5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Plenty more. Not everyone is going to love every JRPG around, but if you're only enjoying one to two of them every few years, that's not on the genre lacking diversity and well-crafted video games. It's on your own personal taste.
👏

My own hot take on the matter is that many people got into JRPGs when they were basically the AAA of their time, i.e. SFC/PS1 era. So they have this idea of JRPGs being about a grand adventure with boundary-pushing graphics, which are hardly what they are today besides a few exceptions. But there are still a ton of cool JRPGs to play as long as you don't require every game you play to have hyper-advanced graphics or be an all-encompassing adventure.

Of course the genre has diversity issues (to say the least), and a ton of tropes can be annoying, but they're still very good games mechanically for the most part. And many of them even tell cool stories.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I was never into JRPGS but even I was aware of the inescapable fact that the SNES was unbeatable in the amount and quality on offer.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
More in response to OP: BoF3 & 4 are legit amazing games. Each with their own strengths.

As for SNES, it does tend to be "overrated" overall if you ask me. It has a ton of amazing games don't get me wrong, but there's this floating narrative of a "golden age of gaming" with 16-bit era which feels pretty weird to me. I was there. I was happy to be there. But I got to play the good AND the bad at the time. It was just another console generation with its gems and its crap.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Wild Arms does have better graphics than FF7 outside of battles at least.
You can't be serious that FF7 looks worse than WA. The audiovisual aspect of FF7 blew every other JRPG until that time out of the water. You can't also just say 'outside of battles' because battles make up almost half the playing time. Look how bad it aged.

PSX-Wild-Arms-Screenshot-5.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy IV
EarthBound
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG
Lufia
Lufia II
Tales of Phantasia

A few of those are more on the action RPG side, but the point stands: Super NES RPGs totally weren't great except for one or two. :P

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The SNES version of Tales of Phantasia is pretty shit

PS1 version is superior in every way

Eila

Oct 27, 2017

-Final Fantasy IV-VI
-Dragon Quest V and VI
-Chrono Trigger
-Super Mario RPG
-Earthbound
-Breath of FIre I and II
-Illusion of Gaia
-Secret of Evermore
-Lufia I and II
-Star Ocean
-Tales of Phantasia
-Ys III-V

You really shouldn't count Ys III and IV on SNES as good games. They are good games on other systems. The SNES version is way worse than the others.