• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't worth playing at release, let alone now.

That said, I'm an outlier. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't even get through it back when it first came out. Never mind now.

Overall I just found it kind of boring.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the biggest problem I had with Lost Odyssey was the load times into each battle. They took, not extremely long, but still too long for each random battle (maybe like 10 seconds each?).
The Xbox One X made them a lot shorter and you're really just dealing with the intro (I have memories of those purple circles really taking too much time on the 360. They're barely here on the Xbox One X. Imagine... okay when they show up, count 7-10 seconds and that's how long before they'd go away on the 360 and the rest of the battle intro would start).

I can't remember how it was for Blue Dragon on the 360 since I played that before LO and didn't try it again on the 360.

I made a video clip of the battle loading on an Xbox One X and... there was really no battle loading. Outside of the animation/small intro, the battles started right away. I'm not sure why, but it got a lot more views than anything else I ever captured according to xboxdvr and xboxclips' view counters (in the thousands, and I wasn't like posting it all over the place). Unfortunately it just disappeared long ago. Like auto=deleted or something. In fact I made another clip of the same battles in the start area (there's a place where you can just rapid-fire start battles really quick, end them really quick, and jump right into another battle) when I got my Series X and I didn't see any improvement. It was still really fast. Seems like that clip got deleted too (weird, since it's only been like what? 3 weeks?)

Oh wow yeah after seeing that with Lost Odyssey I have no doubt Blue Dragon is even more playable than I would expect lol

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
Short answer yes.

Long answer, BOY I hope you like load times.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I haven't played Blue Dragon in ages, buttttttt I did play Lost Odyssey as recently as last year and found that it held up pretty well, allow that to inform you how you will.

OP
OP
Like the hat?

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Just played about an hour on my xsx, load times seem pretty dang short. Don't know how they were originally.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I loved it and remember enjoying the DS sequel as well (didn't realize there was a 3rd game until just looking at wiki) but I find playing old games difficult in general so I can't imagine I'd have an interest in playing it now. If that issue doesn't bother you and you've got nothing else to play then I say give it a shot. It's a very good game.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked this never grew into a series, it felt a lot like an alternative HD Dragon Quest before HD Dragon Quest existed.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It has terrible XP reward structure, where you almost immediately level to what the monsters require in an area and then continue having meaningless encounters with little reward.

It's also a little unbalanced in terms of difficulty.
That wasn't my experience at all, unless I went out of my way to fight enemies. The first couple of bosses pose a challenge (pretty refreshing imo) because at that point your immortals barely have any abilities, but after that the game is blown wide open with all the equippable abilities and it's no longer a challenge, so at least I can appreciate that they gate experience in a way that doesn't make you too overpowered when you fight bosses. Even then, other than a couple of exceptions like Living Ice, the bosses in LO never reach the heights of the first two.

The encounters are not meaningless anyways since the important thing in LO is getting those skill points over exp, and those are still earned in any battle.

@OP: try to get the Nothing Glasses DLC item if you can, otherwise you will lose your mind scouting every corner of the game looking for nothing. This will make sense soon.

Also everyone can shit on that boss song, but if by the tenth boss you're not going WAAAAAYEAH along with Ian Gillan you have no soul.

Oct 25, 2017
How's the DS Blue Dragon? I have that lying around but have never played it.

Blue Dragon Plus is a pretty vanilla RTS.
If you played Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, you'll know what to expect.
The gameplay is a little less polished than RW, but still decent.
The story was quite good. Delve's a lot more into Nene's past. It's a pretty good sequel in that department.
If you care about the story in BD it's worth a play.

Awakened Shadow is a very basic action game, similar to the DS Crystal Chronicles games.
I don't really remember much about it. Very forgettable, but inoffensive.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly no.

I played it for at least 30h+ as my dedicated Christmas game, but the combat is too repetitive and boring and the characters are super dull at best - and super annoying at worst.
It didn't age very well and there are a plethora of better games in the genre.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Collecting "nothing"'s was both the most clever and the most cruel thing to ever thrust upon anyone with any level of gaming OCD.

Like gamifying the amount of dust in your house.

The battle theme still haunts me to this day. It made everyone living with me want to throw the console and me out the window.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I liked the game when i beat it some years ago and i think it is worth playing for people who are into the jrpg genre but i think Lost odyssey is the better game, it is a "just good" but not great very classic jrpg with a charming story and characters and good music but it has some flaws that prevent it from being great:

-The game runs like shit a lot of the time, sub 30 fps with horrible image quality, shitty AA and anisotropic filtering and just 720p resolution because it is a xbox 360 game, if it ran at 1080p 60 fps with good image quality it would still hold up because i think the art direction of the game was great.

-I played the normal mode and it was stupidly easy, the game has a hard mode but i didn't know that when i played it so i can't say if it is well balanced or not.

-The plot and characters while charming are a bit too simple for my liking.

-I played with japanese voices and english subs because i watched some scenes on youtube and thought the english dub was atrocious, the japanese voice acting is way better in my opinion but the european version of the game does not have the japanese voice track, only the north american version of the game does, so take that into account.

I imagine the game can be bought very cheap these days so give it a shot just don't expect Chrono trigger or Final fantasy VI levels of quality.

Last edited:

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played the game despite having it for probably ten years. I was going through my games and came across it. Just wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

For the record, I prefer dragon quest style games over final fantasy, but I enjoy both
Yes. It reminds me more of a SNES kinda Final Fantasy in terms of town structure etc though.

But it also has a lot of really useful and time saving QoL turn based battle options.
The main complaint I'd have with BD is that it has a really interesting skill/job system, but overall is quite easy as I remember. As a result, there's not a lot of encouragement to experiment with skillsets.
There is a hard mode they added as free DLC later on. Definitely changes things up for the better if you crave challenge.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Blue Dragon Plus is a pretty vanilla RTS.
If you played Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, you'll know what to expect.
The gameplay is a little less polished than RW, but still decent.
The story was quite good. Delve's a lot more into Nene's past. It's a pretty good sequel in that department.
If you care about the story in BD it's worth a play.

Awakened Shadow is a very basic action game, similar to the DS Crystal Chronicles games.
I don't really remember much about it. Very forgettable, but inoffensive.
Thanks for the impressions, I'll give em a go if only for a bit.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have the discs for probably 10 years now and still haven't played it, it's been installed on my XB1 since I got one. Someday I'll play it.

Nov 1, 2017
No. A plain Jane RPG with bad voice acting and lots of ugly areas.
It wasn't worth playing when it came out, in all honesty. I just found it very dull.

Play Lost Odyssey instead. The real 360 RPG

Everything they said. I was psyched for Blue Dragon when it came out because old school JRPGs will forever be my shit, but it was extremely average. I wouldn't waste my time with it OP.

Lost Odyssey though? Yezzir.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh I did, and you're right it did help a lot. I'm almost certain that when the game launched you could not install games to the hard drive though, and that's when I played most of the game (or shortly after when I got injured and was bed-ridden).

Yeah, it wasn't available at launch but it did cut a lot of those long battle intros. It helped a lot The Last Remnant as well but sadly, that wasn't enough for that game.

I'm less surprised they're not enhanced and more surprised they aren't on Game Pass. Damned shame that. Abandoned children both unfortunately.

Yeah, I tend to forget that as I own both but that's weird as well.

It might? Where did you hear that?

Both Mistwalker games not being enhanced is the main reason why i don´t own a series x yet.

Both are MS games and both aren't available on GP... Either the games aren't a priority for MS or the BC team couldn't enhance them until now. Probably a mix of both! :P

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't worth playing when it came out, in all honesty. I just found it very dull.

Play Lost Odyssey instead. The real 360 RPG

This.

There's gotta' be 100 other JRPGs that are better. I guess if you have exhausted all your options, go nuts and play Blue Dragon. But otherwise, why waste time with such a mediocre title?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
It's not as much like a Dragon Quest games as some of the other posts are suggesting. It's more like FFV-2. Good looking game, soft vinyl figure-like, fun music, not a great story.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played the game despite having it for probably ten years. I was going through my games and came across it. Just wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

For the record, I prefer dragon quest style games over final fantasy, but I enjoy both

On hard mode yes, otherwhise no it make the game way too easy.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I am barely into the game but it seems like there are about a billion treasure chests
I hope this helps!

bluedragon.fandom.com

Nothing Trader

The Nothing Trader is the item-exchange system of the Blue Dragon XBOX game, where "nothings" scattered throughout the game are traded for special accessories. Only two characters can make the trade, the Nothing Man in Jibral or the Nothing Mecha Robo in Split-World. NOTE that the number of...

Oct 31, 2017