• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FEAR AN AWL
IN YOUR EYE
WITH THAT CHICKEN STEAMIN' NOW
TRUTH IS CLEAR, YOU ARE BLIND
STARIN' THROUGH ETERNITAY

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's pretty mediocre as far as JRPGs go.

That being said...

THIS IS THE BEGINNNNNING

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so personally. Combat is dull (with low fps), the characters are basically cardboard cutouts, and the story isn't interesting at all. Lost Odyssey was/is far superior. Nice artstyle though.

Lowkey20

Nov 18, 2020
It wasn't worth playing when it came out, in all honesty. I just found it very dull.

Play Lost Odyssey instead. The real 360 RPG

This. I really wanted to like it when it came out but I just couldn't. I stopped playing after 10 hours or so. Maybe it got better after that but I just couldn't continue forcing myself to play it.

ethelred

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played the game despite having it for probably ten years. I was going through my games and came across it. Just wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

For the record, I prefer dragon quest style games over final fantasy, but I enjoy both

It's not really a Dragon Quest-style game. It has Toriyama art, but the game plays and is structured a lot more like Final Fantasy V than Dragon Quest.

It's been a while since I've replayed it, but I find the game fun.

But really, why ask? If you have the game, don't listen to anyone else's opinions, just give it a play and find out for yourself if you like it or not.

MachRc

Oct 6, 2020
Came into to say skip blue dragon and play lost odyssey.

Even as a jrpg fan and xbox fanboy, blue dragon was tough to play even after a few hours(for me as well!!!!)

I have played lost odyssey on the 360, the one s, and still have it on my series x. I consider its a master piece and it hits the feels.
Kaim was a cool protagonist.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't worth playing when it came out, in all honesty. I just found it very dull.

Play Lost Odyssey instead. The real 360 RPG
If OP can only play one...

I loved Lost Odyssey so much more than Blue Dragon when it came out.

I haven't done a playthrough since, but I've dabbled in the beginning areas of Blue Dragon again recently and I think it's still something worthy of playing, though. I just never have time for a JRPG now in between all the "new" stuff I wanna play lol.

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely worth playing if you're a fan of classic Final Fantasy.
Lost Odyssey too. They both have a lot of FF DNA.
Lost Odyssey is a lot more complex, but Blue Dragon is still great.
You don't need to worry about grinding for achievements much either. There's an easy overnight AFK grinding method that'll get you maxed.

I've only played the first 3 DQ games, but BD feels more like the classic FF games to me than those.
Kinda like FFIV if it was made with 360 tech.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I played a bit of it earlier this year. It's pretty cool.

I found enabling the 'hard mode' made it more fun

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game if you like old school type RPGs. The biggest problem I had with the game was the performance/framerate at the time. I'd imagine BC makes the game a bit more stable now.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Why no one has posted the actual two best songs in the soundtrack? :(

They are soooo good. Instant classics, IMO. I won't ever get tired of listening to them (like Crisis Core's The Price of Freedom)

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if you liked Lost Odyssey and Dragon Quest, then it's worth a shot. Especially since you already have it.

I do recommend playing it on Normal, and letting it just be a little easy. I tried hard mode on a second playthrough, and after a point, grinding becomes necessary. But it's easy to just go overkill on grinding and making the game far too easy.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed really enjoyed Blue Dragon. It's like a modern take on Final Fantasy V with lots of sensible quality of life features.

Oct 31, 2017
I would wait as it might be enhanced next year.

Both BD and Lost Odyssey not being enhanced yet is pretty weird to me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem I had with the game was the performance/framerate at the time. I'd imagine BC makes the game a bit more stable now.
I remember the biggest problem I had with Lost Odyssey was the load times into each battle. They took, not extremely long, but still too long for each random battle (maybe like 10 seconds each?).
The Xbox One X made them a lot shorter and you're really just dealing with the intro (I have memories of those purple circles really taking too much time on the 360. They're barely here on the Xbox One X. Imagine... okay when they show up, count 7-10 seconds and that's how long before they'd go away on the 360 and the rest of the battle intro would start).

I can't remember how it was for Blue Dragon on the 360 since I played that before LO and didn't try it again on the 360.

I made a video clip of the battle loading on an Xbox One X and... there was really no battle loading. Outside of the animation/small intro, the battles started right away. I'm not sure why, but it got a lot more views than anything else I ever captured according to xboxdvr and xboxclips' view counters (in the thousands, and I wasn't like posting it all over the place). Unfortunately it just disappeared long ago. Like auto=deleted or something. In fact I made another clip of the same battles in the start area (there's a place where you can just rapid-fire start battles really quick, end them really quick, and jump right into another battle) when I got my Series X and I didn't see any improvement. It was still really fast. Seems like that clip got deleted too (weird, since it's only been like what? 3 weeks?)

Last edited:

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I really liked the job system but found it to be a cakewalk - I beat it when it first came out, before the 'hard mode' DLC was available, however.
The encounter system was pretty unique, how you can chain battles together for additional bonuses, and how some monsters would attack each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I saw yes. It was fun, and at the time really felt to me like "What if Dragon Quest was more like Final Fantasy in terms of changing huge elements but keeping a similar core".

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite owning it, I haven't played it yet. I'm still holding onto hope it will get 4k enhanced in the future by the BC team.

Oct 31, 2017
Nah. It has terrible XP reward structure, where you almost immediately level to what the monsters require in an area and then continue having meaningless encounters with little reward.

I don't remember that being the case.

It was a good game I remember having fun but it is really really old school, the story is fun and there were some elements in the combat that were cool but it does get quite grindy.

I don't remember grinding at all in BD! :P

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

As for everyone saying it's grindy, I don't want to be all "get gud" here, but I really wonder if we played the same game.

The game is not only not grindy, but it is massively improved by the Hard mode DLC. I did not have to grind at all, and my first playthrough was on Hard. The biggest benefit was that it actually made you pay attention to the job system and use a bit of strategy to get past certain bosses.

Sure, I lost a few times, but all that meant was that I had to try again with a slightly different equipment/job makeup. The bit I played on Normal required even less than that.

If you all meant the encounter rate was high, then yeah maybe a little, but you have a lot of tools/items for avoiding combat if you're just exploring. You should use those.

Oct 31, 2017
Combat is dull (with low fps)

This was likely fixed on X1/1X.

Came into to say skip blue dragon and play lost odyssey.

Lost Odyssey is a great game and I recommend playing that first.

Lost Odyssey is my favorite jrpg of that generation

:P

I remember the biggest problem I had with Lost Odyssey was the load times into each battle. They took, not extremely long, but still too long for each random battle (maybe like 10 seconds each?).

You sound like someone who didn't install the game on 360! :D

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
You sound like someone who didn't install the game on 360! :D
Oh I did, and you're right it did help a lot. I'm almost certain that when the game launched you could not install games to the hard drive though, and that's when I played most of the game (or shortly after when I got injured and was bed-ridden).

Oct 27, 2017
Play it! It's the real Final Fantasy XIII. Not like that trash that's actually called Final Fantasy XIII
Off topic but I find it funny (if a little insulting) how people use Lost Odyssey as an example for gatekeeping Final Fantasy. Depending on whom you ask and on when FF lost its appeal for them, Lost Odyssey is the 'real' Final Fantasy 13, the 'real' Final Fantasy 12 or the 'real' Final Fantasy 10.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Off topic but I find it funny (if a little insulting) how people use Lost Odyssey as an example for gatekeeping Final Fantasy. Depending on whom you ask and on when FF lost its appeal for them, Lost Odyssey is the 'real' Final Fantasy 13, the 'real' Final Fantasy 12 or the 'real' Final Fantasy 10.
I simply use it as XIII because it came out after XII and before XIII, so it chronologically fits better. I guess the argument could be made for XII because that's when Sakaguchi left Square Enix.

X makes no sense though. That's just silly.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I did, and you're right it did help a lot. I'm almost certain that when the game launched you could not install games to the hard drive though, and that's when I played most of the game (or shortly after when I got injured and was bed-ridden).

Right, the hard drive install feature wasn't around when Lost Odyssey came out. Makes it much more bearable. I imagine it's even better on the newer systems.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably held up reasonably well. I think turn based JRPGs are the genre that has evolved the least over the years, so if you liked them in the NES/SNES era, not much has changed in many respects.

Not sure how the Blue Dragons sequels have held up. People forget that Blue Dragon is a series of three games. Both follow ups to the first game are DS titles, with Nintendo's own Brownie Brown (now known as 1-Up Studio) assisting in development of the second game.

Aug 30, 2020
I still remember it fondly. Story is simple. I think the biggest problem going to it now will be the performance. I wonder if XSX actually improves that?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes, this and Lost Odyssey should be played. Also the boss theme for Blue Dragon is something that will stick with you forever.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Absolutely, why wouldn't it be? It isn't that old, the story's still fun in a Dragon Quest way, the battle system is great, the job system is neat, has a world map, no random encounters and the music is extremely good.

It loads massively faster now and runs at 30fps locked unlike on 360.

ethelred

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably held up reasonably well. I think turn based JRPGs are the genre that has evolved the least over the years, so if you liked them in the NES/SNES era, not much has changed in many respects.

The genre has evolved tremendously over the years, but Blue Dragon was specifically designed to hearken back to older games and there's nothing wrong with that.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For personal enjoyment: probably not. As a showcase, stream, or for some kind of amateur study: yeah.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, its really good if you like old-school RPGs. Lost Odyssey was more "Modern" when it came out, but I really enjoyed both. I highly recommend giving them both a shot.