• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the game despite having it for probably ten years. I was going through my games and came across it. Just wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

For the record, I prefer dragon quest style games over final fantasy, but I enjoy both

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
IT is if you dont mind archaic (or "Classic") RPG tropes. In Blue Dragon you have to grind a lot if IRC, specially if you want all the achivements.

Charming little RPG, personally i liked it a lot.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It was a good game I remember having fun but it is really really old school, the story is fun and there were some elements in the combat that were cool but it does get quite grindy.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven't played it in a long time but I'm going to go ahead and say yes, it is worth playing still. One of my favourite 360 games alongside Lost Odyssey.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely yes, though choose your spoken language preference based on your patience for very "early 2000s anime dub" performances. I'd consider it (ballpark) a classic for turn-based RPGs, in retrospect. At the time, something about it had put me off. I definitely preferred the free Hard Mode add-on, too. I did my first full playthrough in 2018 (?), and was shocked when it landed on a basically Chrono Trigger structure.

Last edited:

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I didn't feel it was worth playing when it came out. Got bored quickly. Way too old school IMO, but that feeling might actually be a plus these days. Give it a shot if you still have the media.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I never beat it but i recall enjoying the 20+ hours i spent with it. If a classic JRPG is in your wheelhouse, i'd say it's worthwhile to play.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
IT is if you dont mind archaic (or "Classic") RPG tropes. In Blue Dragon you have to grind a lot if IRC, specially if you want all the achivements.

Charming little RPG, personally i liked it a lot.
Yep, I found it closer to Dragon Quest (beyond its aesthetics) rather than later Final Fantasy games. A bit slower, a bit more old-school.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I would say yes, if you're not obsessive about collecting every little thing. There's a lot of little missable things, and if you're ok with not getting everything than it's still a good game. If you can't let that go... well it'll be stressful.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but with hard mode DLC enabled. Unless you just want to enjoy the game, the normal game is just... easy

Also it helps if you dont care for achievevments because this game is [bad] about missable stuff

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't worth playing when it came out, in all honesty. I just found it very dull.

Play Lost Odyssey instead. The real 360 RPG

If it's a choice between the two? Lost Odyssey would be the easy choice, for my taste at least. Both are drastically improved playing on more recent Xbox systems, too.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It wasn't worth playing when it came out, in all honesty. I just found it very dull.

Why not both? should be dirty cheap right now, i bought Blue Dragon for like 1.50 dollars in a digital sale like 2 years ago.

but yes, LO is also amazing and a better experience overall than BD.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it really good and very traditional. Was quite underated at release and probably better than Lost Odyssey, when all is said and done. The one thing I found a little annoying in it, was the game having way too many interaction points, where you can examine something and get something minor as reward, but that aside it's worth spending time on. It also had a lot of slowdown + tearing, but I'm assuming that's fixed on modern Xbox platforms.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
is dragon quest worth playing in 2020?

the same answer applies to BD

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, and gets better once you start getting into the job system, but if you have GamePass and haven't played it yet, I'd say wait for DQXI in a few days instead.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I thought this game AND lost odyssey were both bad ass. I honestly forgot about Blue Dragon until this thread though. I kind of want to replay it now.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Initially I was going to argue against point one here and say I rather enjoyed what I played of Blue Dragon as I recall, I just remembered the music and Marumaro though, so I'm gonna revise that to "tolerated".

Lost Odyssey is better in every conceivable way, and I've been waiting for an opportunity to play it again, maybe in the new year.

Though if you're flush for time Like the hat? why not give it a try, it seems there are as many have the opposite view :)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Odyssey is better in every conceivable way, and I've been waiting for an opportunity to play it again, maybe in the new year.

Nah. It has terrible XP reward structure, where you almost immediately level to what the monsters require in an area and then continue having meaningless encounters with little reward.

It's also a little unbalanced in terms of difficulty.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to play this for ages, but i'm waiting/hoping for 4K enhancements on both this and Lost Odyssey before diving in.

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond superficial similarities like Toriyama doing the art, Blue Dragon doesn't play at all like a Dragon Quest game. It's a love letter to SNES era final fantasies, especially V because of the job system.

That being said, it's fantastic if you yearn for that kind of era. Story is simple and has that 90's anime aesthetic of kids in an adventure, the visuals are bright and colorful, the music is great (Uematsu <3), the job system is fantastic. While I do think the formula has been improved with bravely default, there's something very charming about the jobs intertwined with the dragons. I think my main gripe was with the protagonist being annoying and his shtick being obvious from miles away, but funnily enough I found Marumaro endearing.

Also it's stupid easy on normal mode, I don't get at all where the grinding comments are coming from. Make sure to get the free dlc hard mode (if that's still an option) if you want a nice challenge and a chance to engage with the battle / job system's quirks.

People also always tend to bring up Lost Odyssey in these discussions because it was Sakaguchi's other project at the time. Almost everyone will tell you LO is better but imo that's a bit unfair since LO and BD are aiming for different goals. If anything LO is more reminiscent of PS / PS2 jrpgs while Blue Dragon wants to recreate the more whimsical feel of older jrpgs. I (re)played and beat both this year and they're absolutely deserving of your time if the above sounds good to you. Play them then join us in lamenting the fact that there haven't been jrpgs quite like them since they came out.

May 19, 2020
Is this actually on the soundtrack of Blue Dragon? Because oh my god, if I would hear this track while playing I'd probably burst out laughing. This is fucking awful.
oh it's even funnier in the game, for sure. the game is really dull and safe up to that point and then you hear that and you're just blown away by the sheer awesome badness like a kid in one of those 90s commercials

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It's ok, lots of charm though. I'm just disappointed that it's alot more childish than Dragon Quest.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I remember liking it a lot, but I prefer old school RPGs from the 'active' battle systems most of them have these days.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's a love letter to SNES era final fantasies, especially V because of the job system.

it's fantastic if you yearn for that kind of era.

Blue Dragon wants to recreate the more whimsical feel of older jrpgs.
Sounds like my kind of game! I do have it, but just never did get around to playing it. I might finally give it a shot once I'm done with Xenoblade DE.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
oh it's even funnier in the game, for sure. the game is really dull and safe up to that point and then you hear that and you're just blown away by the sheer awesome badness like a kid in one of those 90s commercials
Haha, it does have this saturday morning cartoon thing going for it. Anyway, should really try this game sometime. Looks kinda charming.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mods, autoplay. you know what to do.

T6lMK5VGqO2FyEdbGCauEADkp8Y=.gif

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Blue Dragon was definitely the better of the two between it and Lost Odyssey.

I gambled on the latter and lost big time. The main complaint I'd have with BD is that it has a really interesting skill/job system, but overall is quite easy as I remember. As a result, there's not a lot of encouragement to experiment with skillsets.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you like Final Fantasy 5 job systems & Dragon Quest, then Blue Dragon comes highly recommended. The story is Saturday morning / kid's anime drek, but the gameplay is a lot of fun & the soundtrack is great. Definitely get the free Hard mode difficulty because it's stupidly easy on the default difficulty. Also, keep in mind that job level affects your stats so the game is easier if you don't spread your job LVs out too much so that you can switch to the job with the highest job LV when you reach bosses.

In contrast, Lost Odyssey feels a lot like a PS2-era Final Fantasy with somewhat better graphics. I've actually been replaying it and it holds up, but it's a very different game.